Wellman Resigns after signing new contract

Alf Stewart

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was always going to go back to Essendon one day.

Just like Scott West will likely be going back to the doggies in a year or two.

Wellman was great for the club. I remember reading a Martin Flanagan article saying that Wellman would make changes in the coaching box without waiting for imput from Bailey.

I have a different concern about coaching. Collingwood, now Essendon, maybe GWS are all exploring a different approach to coaching. A far bigger comprehensive team, with some well experienced mentors. I am getting the feeling even now we are dropping behind the leading clubs. With great respect to Bailey, Mahoney, West there ain't much experience there.

Why not start with Roos as a part time mentor. Pay him big money and fly him down a few days a week if he is now more family orientated

i like this, choco williams or laidley aswell, i like the idea of a more experienced helper, because they shall bring a bit more to the table i feel, although woewodin could be a good fit, todd viney would be the best, but stiff chances, same with milburn.

Wellman has been excellent for us

There is a proven theory on management

surround yourself with very good people

If you haven't got them either train them or poach them

not much difference between business and a football club really

nobody poaches duds and wellman has a proven track record with the improvement of our defence

with the probable addition of Dean Wallis from Fremantle its obviously a heavily essendon poaching strategy

Hird has made some wise moves IMO and if he gets Thompson from the Cats then that will be an amazing coo

Even Lloyd could be part of his strategy in the goal kicking department part time

You watch the membership number increase if that all happens

Hird , Voss and Buckley will be an interesting comparison all over again

Wellman has been excellent for us

There is a proven theory on management

surround yourself with very good people

If you haven't got them either train them or poach them

not much difference between business and a football club really

nobody poaches duds and wellman has a proven track record with the improvement of our defence

with the probable addition of Dean Wallis from Fremantle its obviously a heavily essendon poaching strategy

Hird has made some wise moves IMO and if he gets Thompson from the Cats then that will be an amazing coo

Even Lloyd could be part of his strategy in the goal kicking department part time

You watch the membership number increase if that all happens

Hird , Voss and Buckley will be an interesting comparison all over again

All sounds like an emotional knee-jerk, wishful thinking, self delusional fantasy to me.

Must have a big war chest but.

A pox on them all, and all who follow!

Mate, hope he didn't hear you.

Pretty sure the weak [censored] that hit Greeny was Dean Wallis....Wellman was never a Sheedy sniper...

Ha my mistake you (and the others) are dead right, and for the record my dad didn't say it in a vindictive way he just joked about it. But so far as i know he didn't hear me!

I think this is a silly move from Wellman. It's a huge backward step both in his career and in his life. Not only has he left a club with huge prospects for one with major list problems and little chance of a top finish in the near future, but he's gone from being his own man back to being one of Hird's followers. He is reverting to the pattern of his twenties by going back to the lockerroom friends he made in his playing days. Once again he will be spending all of his time with the same people and following the lead of the same guy. I can't see any good coming out of this for him. Sad really.

F%*k Wellman! I sure hope he understands he has a a lump of crap back line to work with at Essendon. The Dees are on the rise, and we want people to push htis club forward. Woey/Richo/Laidly/Viney could all be strong options.

I think this is a silly move from Wellman. It's a huge backward step both in his career and in his life. Not only has he left a club with huge prospects for one with major list problems and little chance of a top finish in the near future, but he's gone from being his own man back to being one of Hird's followers. He is reverting to the pattern of his twenties by going back to the lockerroom friends he made in his playing days. Once again he will be spending all of his time with the same people and following the lead of the same guy. I can't see any good coming out of this for him. Sad really.

Sour grapes much?

What rot.

So there we were none of us having never changed jobs to move on to supposed 'greener pastures'......good on him if that is what he wants to do....thanks for the three years, thanks for the efforts with Chip, Garlo et al....Footy Dept will look around and get it right for a replacement...we move on and backline improves again under new coach.....

That's the sole purpose and aim of an assistant coach - to gain experience and move on, in an effort to build the knowledge and skills that allow them to one day become a head coach.

I find it funny, the people who are begrudging Wellman for going back to the dons would be the same clamouring to get Viney back here if it was at all possible.

The guy has served us well and moved on, as they all do.

Good luck Sean, you impressed me when we spoke.

Head coach material.

Its not so much that he went....so be it...we all move on etc... just that hed only put pen to paper..and 5 mins later ( so to speak ) renegs !!

Am over it really...hes in for years of pain as Ess try vainly to get themselves anywhere. Old saying...he who laughs last ..... :)

Its not so much that he went....so be it...we all move on etc... just that hed only put pen to paper..and 5 mins later ( so to speak ) renegs !!

Am over it really...hes in for years of pain as Ess try vainly to get themselves anywhere. Old saying...he who laughs last ..... :)

Exactly right. No one can begrudge him for moving employers but You don't sign a contract and then only a month later reneg unless something dramatic or unforseen happens. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out wellman.

Exactly right. No one can begrudge him for moving employers but You don't sign a contract and then only a month later reneg unless something dramatic or unforseen happens. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out wellman.

You wouldn't call what happened at Essendon dramatic?

You wouldn't call what happened at Essendon dramatic?

and you dont think wellman wasnt sounded out by someone "close" to the club....all bag of poo stuff !!

I am more interested in who Wellman's replacement is. We are at a crucial time in the Teams development so the timing of this is not perfect-But we must get a Top Line replacement, the kids in our backline deserve nothing less.

I will be following this closely-we have cleared our Debt so a good pay packet is worth spending on a AA defensive coach.