Alwyn Davey wants out

Stigga

would only be interested if we could trade him for jetta or maric with a late draft pick.

Not sold on Jetta at this stage, but he's young, undeveloped and still finding a niche, the jury is out on how good he'll be. Davey is marginally better right now (theres not that much between them, though), but we know what we'll get from him, and it isn't much.

Why swap Jetta, who might be a good player, for Alwyn Davey, who won't be?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Wonna could string a pre-season together, along with a stricter diet...... he could turn out being a much better player than Alwyn. That, and Wonna is much younger.

We have seen the best of Alwyn, but Wonna could still develop beyond his current skill set.

if he requested a trade to us, i'd take him

in my opinion, it's a misnomer that we have an abundance of crumbing forwards

Would I chase Alwyn hard and throw buckets of cash at him? No. Would I facilitate a trade if he requested Melbourne. Definitely

Correct Sylvinator. We seriously lack crumbing forwards. I would have no issue with us looking at davey but I would not go all out.

I wouldn't spend too much on Davey, but he performs exactly the type of role that we need.

He doesn't get big numbers in goals or possessions, but he does average 7 tackles a game as a small forward which is exactly what we're after. Bennell played that role for large parts this year but I'm sure they'd like to get him up the ground and start developing him as a midfielder/half back. Aussie is our main player in this role but Bailey has shown that he's prepared to two small pressure forwards this year and Davey would probably be the first one selected in that specific role.

Alwyn Davey's bio from the Essendon Website:

Number 29

Height 173cm

Weight 72kg

DOB 15-05-1984

Debut 2007

Games 2010 16 Career 55

Goals 2010 22 Career 56

Dreamteam Points 2010 1074

He will be closing in on 27 years at the start of next year and is averaging a little under 14 games a season with injury problems in each year which suggests some brittleness in the body. Worth considering but not at a particularly high price to the club.

1 goal a game too. Nothing earth shattering.

The aim is to have a freakishly skilled FP who kicks goals he shouldn't, like Rioli, Motlop or Jurrah.

Alwyn has ordinary skills and misses easy ones.

I don't care how many tackles he gets - NO.

I'd personally sign of on Jones and pick 32

for Davey and pick 8.

No problem.

Of course you would.

It's daylight robbery.

Alwyn Davey fulfils a role, but is no match winner.

Pick 32 for Davey would be about right.

So then you are virtually saying pick 8 for Jones....ah, no thank you.

Cant see Essendon trading pick 8, especially not for Nathan Jones.

I don't know the facts, but if Davey has virtually walked out on Essendon and wants to go to Melbourne to play with his brother, I assume he has at least spoken to Melbourne before walking out on Essendon. I think he will end up a Demon, but don't panic folks, I doubt you'll have to pay too much for him. Does get injured alot, and probably doesn't do enough when he does play.

Better than Neville Jetta, but not as good as Bennell I suppose.

Flick either Maric or Jetta, and replace them with Davey and your list is improved.

Wow, a few people have given up on Jetta already hey?

Thing about Davey is he would only command a spot in our 22 if he was fit and in-form. He is quick and his defensive pressure is good, but seeing as we have pace already and defensive pressure can be trained, he isn't worth any of our valuable picks.

In any case I wouldn't really want to see him at the club because of who is brother IS. I'm loving the group of indegenous players we currently have and they're quickly coming together as cohesive unit, I feel throwing a relative of the leader in has the potential to upset the apple cart in some way, I know they are a professional bunch- but IMO I feel the venture wouldn't be fruitful enough.

Wow, a few people have given up on Jetta already hey?

Thing about Davey is he would only command a spot in our 22 if he was fit and in-form. He is quick and his defensive pressure is good, but seeing as we have pace already and defensive pressure can be trained, he isn't worth any of our valuable picks.

In any case I wouldn't really want to see him at the club because of who is brother IS. I'm loving the group of indegenous players we currently have and they're quickly coming together as cohesive unit, I feel throwing a relative of the leader in has the potential to upset the apple cart in some way, I know they are a professional bunch- but IMO I feel the venture wouldn't be fruitful enough.

I agree, you will find that Jetta is being groomed to be a midfielder not a forward, you will find he has the body type to mature quickly, just look for the size after pre season........If we can get Davey for next to nothing ie without trading anybody, or a round 3 draft pick then go for it........

Edited by satyricon

Who makes way for Davey? People suggesting Davey should realise if he does play he squeezes someone else out. Who would this be?

He's too old anyway.. i'd rather go after the big Q ball if we're chasing this age all of a sudden. Q ball would make a more important impact on our team than Davey would. In saying that I don't really want either tbh

-Q stick, whatever they call the big lug..

Edited by nostradeemus

For those putting Davey/ Maric and Jetta into the hat, remember our youth policy B)

Alwyn Davey 27 next year

Maric 21

Jetta 21

I had no idea Alwyn was 26 i thought he was 24. Really puts the development in to perspective.

It is obvious we have a youth policy, so i looked at all the clubs senior list (no rookies)and to get a guide of youth in each club current list and added up all players born only in 1990 and 1991.

The list is some what predictable and a little surprising too.

Freo 15

Melb 14

Geel 14

W/C 12

Nth 11

Adel 10

Bris 10

Haw 9

Ess 9

Rich 9

Stk 8

Coll 7

Syd 7

WB 7

Car 6

Surprising that Geelong looks like they are planning for the future now and Carlton hasn't

Dont exactly know what it all means but you would suspect that if we keep a core of those 1990's babies our future will be assured. But do we need 26+ year old recruits? I dont know.

I'm not too surprised about Geelong because they have had a consistently

good and stable side with no glaring weaknesses they have been scrambling to fix, so they've been able to draft kids and let them develop.

Having said that, the kids they do have are all later picks.

Some might come good, but chances are they'll have a weak side for a while.

Alwyn Davey ?

Firstly, I thought this thread may have been a thread bumped from last years trade period. Serious deja vu.

I just don't see him as a first 22 selection. Fringe - in/out player at best. He is no midfielder, no tank and is injury prone. Based on what we've got already he would struggle to get a look in.

Next.

This is a very complicated thread when you consider how simple it is. If you rate our small forwards, and our smaller players in general, then there's absolutely no room.

If you have concerns over them, or if you think they're just plain no good, then there is room.