Changes for next week (v Brisbane)

Gouga

No way would I drop Bartram. We were really struggling to find a good small defender until he stepped into the role. His kicking is never going to be a strength, but he almost never gets beaten one-on-one. As a stopper on the mobile small forwards he is worth his weight in gold.

He is accountable.

I don't really have an issue with Bartram's kicking. He might obviously struggle over longer distances, but otherwise his technique is sound IMO.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Based on who is ready to go this week:

In: Trengove, Jmac.

Out Maric, Johnson.

Both outs are stiff but I'd always take McDonald and Trengove over Maric, and I feel that Jamar should be able to do the job against the Lions single handedly which will give us another mid so we can kill them with speed and hard running.

There is a case to be made to have Warnock in to help Frawley keep the twin towers quiet but I can't think of an out for him. Dunn if he pulls up sore?

Moloney I'd give another week if he is listed as a 50/50.

Hardest hypothetical selection week I've had to ponder in a long, long time.

Out Maric, Johnson.

I disagree on Maric being drop.

This year is every bit of a development year as last and we must continue to try to develop Maric. He was brought in, did well without being outstanding and i would like to see MFC build on that.

Trengoves the only one i want to see slip back in. Dunn was pretty good and stiff but Dunn out Trengove in.

I get the feel the Brions will go the tonk this Saturday. Try to unsettle the team with the Cattledog.

Edited by jacey

Out Maric, Johnson.

Both outs are stiff but I'd always take McDonald and Trengove over Maric, and I feel that Jamar should be able to do the job against the Lions single handedly which will give us another mid so we can kill them with speed and hard running.

There is a case to be made to have Warnock in to help Frawley keep the twin towers quiet but I can't think of an out for him. Dunn if he pulls up sore?

Moloney I'd give another week if he is listed as a 50/50.

Hardest hypothetical selection week I've had to ponder in a long, long time.

Yeah, it is.

With So many kids at roughly the same level, they haven't sorted themselves out into an order as yet. Some with high profiles but still learning, & others with talent needing some game time to showcase their stuff,,, to us/the club, but also to themselves, to try to realise, they can contribute well at this level. A maturing exercise in self belief.

PS: I believe if you bring a kid in, as long as he doesn't make a complete shambles, we should give him a second game to build on the composure. See where to after that.

Edited by dee-luded

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

PS: I believe if you bring a kid in, as long as he doesn't make a complete shambles, we should give him a second game to build on the composure. See where to after that.

I agree with you and Jaycee to a point but I just don't see how such talent as Jmac and JT can be left out of the side if they are fit. I'd prefer both us and Brisbane could plat 24 or 25 players so we could get all that deserve a spot in the team.

In: Junior & Trengove (Moloney if 100%)

Out: I'll leave that up for the selectors, very tough to be dropped for all the players. Maybe the players to be dropped will be either 'rested' or come up with a 1-2 week 'issue'.

On a side note I can not wait to see Tapscott come into the side, he seems to be playing well for Casey. Maric & Bail must stay in the side.

IN: McDonald, Moloney

OUT: Maric (can't find anyone else), Scully (rest)

* Trengove to come back through Casey.

FB: Garland, Frawley, Bartram

HB: MacDonald, Rivers, Bail

C: Morton, McKenzie, Davey

HF: Watts, Dunn, Sylvia

FF: Jurrah, Green, Wonaemirri

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, McDonald

INT: Bennell, Bruce, Johnson, Jones

EMERG: Bate, Maric, Trengove

I agree.

The only thing being that they might rest McKenzie given his workload and his similarities to the role McDonald plays.

Trengove to come back in the magoos.

The other in may be Warnock. Remember he and Frawley dominated Fev and Brown in Round 4.

I agree.

The only thing being that they might rest McKenzie given his workload and his similarities to the role McDonald plays.

Trengove to come back in the magoos.

The other in may be Warnock. Remember he and Frawley dominated Fev and Brown in Round 4.

If they "rest" McKenzie, I guarantee we will perform worse, no matter who we bring in. He is so unbelievably important to this team that I would seriously drop Jamar before him. I am not joking, either. Criminally underrated player.

Have been thinking..........what about ........ no change ? :unsure:

Moloney isnt really 100%. Junior's not 100%. Trengove might come back via the magoos as seems the course.

Juniour only likely one and probably better for another run in magoos then return to the G

keep in mind the team that just played destroyed an undestroyable Sydney outfit...rewrote the recoed books.

So do you need to change something that aint broke ??? just a thought :)

The one thing continually puzzles me when reading these threads is the lack of consideration people give to the structure of the team. For example, those suggesting Bartram to be dropped to bring in two midfielders doesn't make sense. Yes one or more of Jnr, Trengove or Moloney will play, but if you drop Bartram who do you propose will play his role in the back line?? In case some of you haven't realised, his inconsistent disposal aside, he has been one of the most consistent defenders we've had, continually shutting down his opposition.

I'm all for Jnr, Trengove and Moloney returning as soon as possible, but i would think it would be better structurely for them to come in for a mid-fielder or half-forward. Sylvia can move back to the half forward line and out of the middle to make way for one of them, then we can drop one or two like Maric (who i thought showed some great signs with his pressure and chase) and Bail or Bennell.

It's going to be tough determining who gets dropped, but I think a top defender on the team should never be replaced because of average disposal to make way for a midfielder. Structurely it stuffs up the balance of the team. I'd rather have someone preventing goals and put up with a couple turnovers than replace them with someone who's an average defender at best.

The one thing continually puzzles me when reading these threads is the lack of consideration people give to the structure of the team. For example, those suggesting Bartram to be dropped to bring in two midfielders doesn't make sense. Yes one or more of Jnr, Trengove or Moloney will play, but if you drop Bartram who do you propose will play his role in the back line?? In case some of you haven't realised, his inconsistent disposal aside, he has been one of the most consistent defenders we've had, continually shutting down his opposition.

I'm all for Jnr, Trengove and Moloney returning as soon as possible, but i would think it would be better structurely for them to come in for a mid-fielder or half-forward. Sylvia can move back to the half forward line and out of the middle to make way for one of them, then we can drop one or two like Maric (who i thought showed some great signs with his pressure and chase) and Bail or Bennell.

It's going to be tough determining who gets dropped, but I think a top defender on the team should never be replaced because of average disposal to make way for a midfielder. Structurely it stuffs up the balance of the team. I'd rather have someone preventing goals and put up with a couple turnovers than replace them with someone who's an average defender at best.

Agree with this. The structure is most important. From there you just pick your best side. In our case we have rightly been picking to give others opportunity so it will be interesting to see if the club think a finals shot is still possible by just picking the best side this week.

That's why Nath Jones will be under as much pressure as a Bartram who wont be going anywhere.

I liked the run and pressure that Wonna, Bennell, Maric & Bail bought to the side. Col Sylvia performing as an A grade jet in the middle wasn't missed around the half forward line, he has actually made it tougher to work out who plays in the midfield IMO as he is as good as any midfielder when in that form.

Trengove, IMO has to come straight back, already plays with the surety of a 150 game player, no point in playing him at Casey. I'd suspect that outside of Paul Johnson, if the MC decided one ruck was enough that one of the half forwards would be looked at to make way, one of Maric or Bail. IMO it would be Maric.

If/when Moloney & Junior return this will see possibly another half forwards spot under pressure or a Nath Jones, McKenzie. I am really liking the work of Jordie McKenzie & would include him before Jones.

Going to be tough calls when all of Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Blease, Sylvia, Davey, Bennell, Moloney, Jones, McKenzie, Bail, Tapscott, Maric, Wonna are fit & fighting for spots in the middle & half forward. (Not including Junior)

If Warnock was to come in to take Fev it would have to be Riv to make way, owing to the structure argument. Riv starting to play as well as his early days & would be unlucky but the club have been picking on match ups which has served them well. Against Richmond this same swap the opposite way would apply.

If we can keep our heads and run run run... we'll wear those raskally Lions out. Leaning more towards no change, though Trengoves cool head would be an advantage.

No change

Anyone who is dropped from the side will be unlucky given how well we played last week. But team changes will increase our chances of winning this week.

IN: McDonald, Moloney and Warnock

OUT: Maric, Morton and Rivers

Rationale:

• Junior and Moloney are in our best 10 players and are automatic selections if they are fit.

• Trengove is probably in our best 22, but I don’t think he is an automatic selection just yet. He should come back via Casey given Junior and Moloney are automatic selections and how well we played last week.

• Maric was good on the weekend, but Bennell and Aussie were better. And Sylvia and Davey will spend more time up forward this week due the inclusions of Junior and Moloney.

• Warnock has played very well at Casey and is our best matchup for Fevola (if he plays). Rivers has been getting better each week but Garland and Macdonald have been excellent and are more flexible options.

• Another midfielder needs to come out of the side for team balance. This needs to be either of Morton or Bail and I think Bail offers us more.

• If Dunn or Watts are injured then I think we need to bring another key forward into the team for team balance. (i.e. Bate or Miller)

I didn't know that 20 year olds got dropped for getting 23 touches and a goal playing on a two-time Brownlow medallist

I'm not convinced Bailey abides by auto selections . He's selecting around continuity and players showing form , not their reps

It's hard to pull players out as everyone had a good game, but lets be realistic a 73 point thrashing everyone is bound to chip in and have a go.

If it was a closer margin you would have found players easily to replace with.

Playing Brisbane is a total new ball game, gloating on the fact everyone did well last match was and is a different story. Brisbane at the gabba are a tougher side, and we do need our best and most experienced players in. Holding onto the fact that every player would contribute as they did last Sunday isn't the best approach, personally I would look at what best team I can field on paper and go from there.

I.e in: the likes of Moloney, Trengove

And out: Maric, Bail.

Maric and Bail did have a great game, their 2nd efforts were amazing and great contributors. But lets be realistic, the match this weekend will be a closer margin than last Sunday no doubt - and having two young players with not all that many games under their belt really wouldn't best be suited. You noticed them in a 73 point game, but come a 10-30 point ball game which I expect more I would rather my experienced players out there showing leadership.

I didn't know that 20 year olds got dropped for getting 23 touches and a goal playing on a two-time Brownlow medallist

Whilst I agree, I'm not sure Goodes is the perfect example of accountability.

I don’t really want to see anyone dropped, but I want to maximise our chances of winning this week (and making the finals). So Junior and Moloney definitely need to come in. This requires tough calls to be made. (We can only play 22.)

So far this year Morton’s performances have been just mediocre. Although he tried hard and got a bit of the ball last week, he was well beaten by Goodes, who was in scintillating form. At present he is not in our best 22.

Anyone who is dropped from the side will be unlucky given how well we played last week. But team changes will increase our chances of winning this week.

IN: McDonald, Moloney and Warnock

OUT: Maric, Morton and Rivers

Rationale:

• Junior and Moloney are in our best 10 players and are automatic selections if they are fit.

• Trengove is probably in our best 22, but I don’t think he is an automatic selection just yet. He should come back via Casey given Junior and Moloney are automatic selections and how well we played last week.

• Maric was good on the weekend, but Bennell and Aussie were better. And Sylvia and Davey will spend more time up forward this week due the inclusions of Junior and Moloney.

• Warnock has played very well at Casey and is our best matchup for Fevola (if he plays). Rivers has been getting better each week but Garland and Macdonald have been excellent and are more flexible options.

• Another midfielder needs to come out of the side for team balance. This needs to be either of Morton or Bail and I think Bail offers us more.

• If Dunn or Watts are injured then I think we need to bring another key forward into the team for team balance. (i.e. Bate or Miller)

While I understand your points, are you making changes just for the sake of it? 3 changes to a side that has demolished a top 8 team. Junior is our captain, and should come in...only if 100% fit.

As reported on the MFC website, Moloney is only a 50/50 chance of playing. Again, he is in our best 22, but should only be selected if 100% fit.

I strongly doubt either of these guys will play at the Gabba this weekend.

If a change will be made, it will be Warnock in for Johnson. Someone talked about dropping Maric for Warnock - why would we replace one of our running players for a bigger, slower defender? Again, a change for the sake of writing something in this thread!

I would love to see Trengove come in, but it has been 3 weeks since he played, so he may just benefit from a run in the 2's.

Another thing to consider is that it has been raining up here (SE QLD) all week, and forecasted to do so for the remainder of the week, including rain Saturday arvo. This may see a bigger body dropped for a midfielder.

I'm all for rewarding a team that played well and we smashed a top 8 team so why change for change sake?

It's always handy to have fresh legs come in after an interstate game,so Moloney and JT will be fresh for the Tigers.

Another thing to consider is that it has been raining up here (SE QLD) all week, and forecasted to do so for the remainder of the week, including rain Saturday arvo. This may see a bigger body dropped for a midfielder.

If that is the case and Beamer and Junior are fit to play (not partially!) then I would have thought it would be:

In Beamer, Junior

Out: PJ, Maric

I'm not convinced Bailey abides by auto selections . He's selecting around continuity and players showing form , not their reps

I'd say Moloney's form in being our best midfielder all season long should probably suffice. However he's been rated at 50-50 so perhaps Junior is more likely. I really, really can't get my head around the idea that people really believe that Addam Maric deserves a spot in the side more than our captain, but I suppose that's what they call the "cult of youth".

The absolute only way I could see Addam getting a game this week is another player coming out of the team injured.

I'm all for rewarding a team that played well and we smashed a top 8 team so why change for change sake?

It's always handy to have fresh legs come in after an interstate game,so Moloney and JT will be fresh for the Tigers.

I think you are on the money.

Go to the MFC site and read the article on possible inclusions for the week.

I think Moloney is still a week away and they are nursing Mcdonald towards 250 games.

Trengove is I think the only possibility.

My guess is NO CHANGE

moloney is 50-50 according to afl.com.au, and macca and trenners are likely to be avaliable..

i was going to say scully might need a rest, but if its wet, then its his domain

i wouldnt have a clue, as to who comes in and who goes out.. 3-4 will be very unlucky if moloney, macca, trenners, and warnock for fev come in

I really can't fathom why some are advocating that Trengove play for Casey. The thought makes me want to puke. He's already one of the fittest at the club and missing two weeks won't be an impediment, if anything it will have served to freshen him up. Along with a couple of others, he's the best chance this club has had in decades of producing a star of the competition, but some want him running around with Casey, because it's too hard, or unfair to drop others after a good win. You can't be serious.

I want the best players running out for this club each week and already Trengove has shown that he's one of our most important players. I'll be astonished if he's not selected this afternoon.

Edited by Hannabal