• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Our 1st game team vs Hawks

2014-Flag

Since most on this forum seem to think we have a great chance against the Hawks in round one (I need to be convinced), what will be the team to get us there and how will it differ from that which was flogged over the last two weeks?

As of today, according to the Club's website, this is our injury list

Aaron Davey – Adductor Soreness – 1 week

- Cameron Bruce – Hamstring – 1 week

- Matthew Bate – Quad – 1 week

- Colin Garland – Foot – 1 week

- Neville Jetta – Groin – 1-2 weeks

- Jack Watts – Back – 2-3 weeks

- Sam Blease – Ankle – 2-3 weeks

- Paul Johnson – Foot – 5 weeks

- Cale Morton – Knee – 8-10 weeks

- John Meesen – Ankle – Indefinite

- Max Gawn – Knee – Indefinite

- Luke Tapscott – Hip – Indefinite

Based on that, let's assume Davey, Bruce, Green, Bate, Garland, Jetta, Watts all play. Let's also assume Wonna is fit.

Based on current information, how does this look for a team for round 1? Can it beat the hawk minus Burgoyne (injured), Buddy and Bateman (suspended)

B: Dunn Warnock Rivers

HB: Garland Frawley Bruce

C: Pettard Sylvia Trengove

HF: Davey Miller Jurrah

F: Grimes Watts Bate

Fol: Jamar Green Scully

Inter: Wonna, Martin, Maloney, James MacD

This means the following missed out who are available: Bail, Bartrum, Bell, Bennell, Bleeze, Cheney, Fitzpatrick, Gysberts, Jones, Jetta, Joel MacD, McNamara, Maric, Strauss. Of those only Bartrum, Bell, Bennell, Cheney, Jones, Jetta, Joel MacD and Maric would be seriously considered.

I'm sure we would all agree a very much stronger team than we saw on Saturday, and yes, possibly could knock off the Hawks. So where are the weaknesses/strengths in this side?

The obvious one is in the rucks although the way the Russian played at the weekend if he stays in one piece we will win there in round 1. Certainly the forward line looks very much better than it has over the first two weeks. Much more bulk and experience. The question marks for me are:

Is Watts fit and ready? Will Miller provide a target and run on the leads he is capable of? Will Liam re-capture last year's form?

The mid -field is populated by either experience or great skill and they are all in form.

The addition of Bruce, Dunn and a fit Rivers adds considerably to down back with Dunn providing additional height and run and Garland providing marking power

The bench is a mixture of runners and height.

Garland at half back also provides an option of putting him in at half forward if miller or jurrah have off days

Looking at this side I am very much more encouraged. It is a very different side to the last two weeks.

What do others think?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that team.

I think Dunn and Grimes should be swapped. Dunn in the forward line Grimes running off the backs when not in the midfield.

I am not sure Watts will be ready. He really needs to play the next two NAB Challenge games to be a realistic chance. Likewise with Garland.

My Guess:

Bell, Warnock, Rivers

Joel Mac, Frawley, Bruce

Grimes, Silvia, Trengove

Davey, Miller, Jurrah

Green, Bate, Wonna

Jamar, Moloney, Jones

IC Scully, Martin, Dunn, Stuass

Not a bad team Flag, but given their limited preparations, I very much doubt that we would want to go into the first round with all of Garland, Bruce, Bate, Watts and Wonna. Maybe just a couple of them at most. Also, I don't know what the situation is with Dunn. He's not listed as injured, but if he's not, it's hard to fathom why we havn't seen him over the last two weeks. I saw him getting treatment for some sort of hand / finger injury at the intra-club game at Casey a couple of weeks ago.

Rioli is likely to miss also don't forget.

Given the assumptions by op, my R1 team:

James Mac Warnock Frawley

Joel Mac Rivers Bruce

Davey Grimes Trengove

Green Miller Pettard

Maric Bate Jurrah

Jamar Moloney Sylvia

Int: Jones, Scully, Martin, Wonna/Jetta (whoever is in best form)

I reckon that team could do alright against the Dorks on the G.

Not a bad team Flag, but given their limited preparations, I very much doubt that we would want to go into the first round with all of Garland, Bruce, Bate, Watts and Wonna. Maybe just a couple of them at most. Also, I don't know what the situation is with Dunn. He's not listed as injured, but if he's not, it's hard to fathom why we havn't seen him over the last two weeks. I saw him getting treatment for some sort of hand / finger injury at the intra-club game at Casey a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, i was sitting in front of the players at Visy Oval on saturday and he ws there and looking fit. DB has said that he not playing senior players who are not 100% fit but if it was the real season he would. Specifically he has said this about Jack Watts, but i assume it also applies to Bate and Dunn. I wouldn't play them either if they did not play in the next two weeks, but i expect them to if only the last competitive game plus the intraclub.

We'll see over ythe next two weeks, but I must say that side looks a lot stronger.

I think Joel Mac and Jones will definitely play.

Probably in place of Dunn and Martin.

Other than that i think your team looks good.

My prediction for our Round 1 team:

B: Bennell Warnock Rivers

HB: Strauss Frawley Bruce

C: Sylvia Moloney Grimes

F: Petterd Bate Maric

Fol: Jamar Green Junior

Inter: Martin, Jones, Scully, Trengove

Wonaeamirri, Garland still rusty after long lay-offs.

Bail, Bartram, Bell, Dunn, Watts, Blease, Cheney, Fitzpatrick, Gysberts, Jetta, MacDonald, McNamara to miss.

Jetta could be in the side, but probably won't due to average preseason form.

Dunn could be included for his versatility.

My theory is you need at least 2 pre season games to be fit for round 1, so we have 2 games to go plus a Casey Game. From the injury list the only players that should be considered are maximum 1 week away from playing. My Round 1 Team

Macdonald Frawley Warnock

Strauss Rivers Bruce

Davey Moloney Sylvia

Bate Miller Green

Martin Jurrah Maric

Jamar Jones Grimes

Scully Aussie McDonald Trengove

Edited by drdrake

My prediction for our Round 1 team:

B: Bennell Warnock Rivers

HB: Strauss Frawley Bruce

C: Sylvia Moloney Grimes

F: Petterd Bate Maric

Fol: Jamar Green Junior

Inter: Martin, Jones, Scully, Trengove

Wonaeamirri, Garland still rusty after long lay-offs.

Bail, Bartram, Bell, Dunn, Watts, Blease, Cheney, Fitzpatrick, Gysberts, Jetta, MacDonald, McNamara to miss.

Jetta could be in the side, but probably won't due to average preseason form.

Dunn could be included for his versatility.

IMO unless injured, Joel MacDonald is an absolute certainty.

And so does Watts. Going by DB's past comments he thinks so too. I hope so anyway - I think he will make a huge impact and considerably jncrease our skill level.

I would expect that there is very little chance that Watts will play round 1 and if he did I would expect him to have a minimal impact. I find that which is in bold a bizarre claim.

My take is like 'zis,,,;)

Bruce Warnock Frawley

JoelMac Rivers Bennell

Davey Grimes Jun'Mac

Green Bate Sylvia

Pettard Miller Jurrah

Jamar Moloney Jones

Int: Spencer/Martin, Scully, Trengove, Dunn,,,,Wonna/Jetta, Maric,

Edited by Fan
Please don't quote full replies unless they are relevant to your post. In this case they werent.

Won't line up like this, but here goes

I would give my leftie to see Green line up at Full Forward

Cheney Warnock Rivers

JoelMac Frawley Grimes

Davey Sylvia Trengove

Maric Bate Bruce

Wonna Green Jurrah

Jamar Moloney Scully

Int: Spencer, Jones, Petterd, Jetta

Apologies: Bennell, Miller, numerous others

Can those who have left JoelMac out of their teams please explain why? I don't understand =(

My take is like 'zis,,,;)

Bruce Warnock Frawley

JoelMac Rivers Bennell

Davey Grimes Jun'Mac

Green Bate Sylvia

Pettard Miller Jurrah

Jamar Moloney Jones

Int: Spencer/Martin, Scully, Trengove, Dunn,,,,Wonna/Jetta, Maric,

This is probably the best line-up from available players for the first match. Garland has not played for a year and has a very interrupted pre-season. Watts hasn't played a NAB cup or challenge or intra-club match and is still on the injured list. Scully and Trengove deserve their spot, and it's a good marketing decision to debut them on round 1.

So what happens to the rest? Blease, Gysberts and Co? There are practice matches for the Casey Scorpions before their first game on April 10.

2010 Practice Matches - All matches at Casey Fields

Sunday 14th March

Casey Scorpions v Frankston

Reserves 11.10am, Seniors 2pm

Friday 19th March

Casey Scorpions v Northern Bullants

Seniors 4.30pm, Reserves 7pm

Saturday 26th March (check this date. it's either sat 27th or friday 26th March)

Casey Scorpions v Bendigo Bombers

Seniors 1pm

and the first VFL game...

Round 1 Saturday, Apr 10 Casey Scorpions vs. Geelong Casey Fields 7:00 PM

Can those who have left JoelMac out of their teams please explain why? I don't understand =(

he may play a bit this year but if he's in our best 22 in a couple of years time it's because we haven't developed the likes of Strauss and Bennell

I don't rate him

[/quote name=Jurrah Mancrush' date='04 March 2010 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1267703360' post='306853]

he may play a bit this year but if he's in our best 22 in a couple of years time it's because we haven't developed the likes of Strauss and Bennell

I don't rate him

Edited by Deeoldfart

My concern about early games is that the team hasn't played nearly enough games together yet, and it's unlikely that the team will really gel until a relatively settled group of players have strung a few games together. And until the team gels as a team, wins will be hard to come by.

I'm confident the team will click together at some stage during this season and will perform much better as a team than what we've seen so far, but it's less likely to happen earlier in the season. So if we struggle in the early games, it shouldn't be a surprise. Barring a horror run of injuries (god forbid!), I reckon we'll get better as the season goes on.

My theory is you need at least 2 pre season games to be fit for round 1, so we have 2 games to go plus a Casey Game. From the injury list the only players that should be considered are maximum 1 week away from playing. My Round 1 Team

Macdonald Frawley Warnock

Strauss Rivers Bruce

Davey Moloney Sylvia

Bate Miller Green

Martin Jurrah Maric

Jamar Jones Grimes

Scully Aussie McDonald Trengove

Good team.

Strauss, Bennell and Cheney will battle it out for a spot on the back flank and Petterd has earnt his place in the forward-line. So the only change I'd make to your team is - In: Petterd Out: Warnock

Hawthorn struggle in the ruck dept, but it's asking a lot for Jamar to carry the load all day, so Martin gets the nod ahead of Warnock.

With Franklin out suspended I don't see the need for Warnock, Rivers and Frawley in the backline. They may throw Schoenmakers forward, or possibly select Jordan Lisle in place of Franklin, but in reality we don't want to be top heavy in the back-line. Martin has the versatility to go back if need be, can give Jamar a spell in the ruck, or be that bigger body in the forward-line. So he gets the nod over Warnock.

Footy is all about matchups, so this needs to be taken into account against a Franklinless Hawthorn.

Also, every side should include Scully and Trengove. Firstly, they're our future and need as many games as possible and secondly they're good enough. Anyone disappointed with their progress ought not be. They've had a couple of games now to get the feel of the pace and tempo and will blossom very quickly - especially with more games.

Good team.

Strauss, Bennell and Cheney will battle it out for a spot on the back flank and Petterd has earnt his place in the forward-line. So the only change I'd make to your team is - In: Petterd Out: Warnock

I understand the logic, but there is no way Warnock isn't getting a game in Round 1 (fitness aside).

Regardless of the forwardline we are coming up against, it's important to keep the backline group playing together for as long as we can. Our tall defenders have really come on and they are working well together. I wouldn't mess with that, especially when Frawley is versatile enough to play small so you can adjust his role depending on matchups.

I understand the logic, but there is no way Warnock isn't getting a game in Round 1 (fitness aside).

Regardless of the forwardline we are coming up against, it's important to keep the backline group playing together for as long as we can. Our tall defenders have really come on and they are working well together. I wouldn't mess with that, especially when Frawley is versatile enough to play small so you can adjust his role depending on matchups.

Agree. Warnock seems to be a natural leader down there as well.

Of Warnock, Rivers, Garland and Frawley, really only Warnock is unable to play on a small. The other three could all equally play on a tall or a small, and Rivers is adept at playing loose.

The bigger issue is who our small(er) defenders are going to be. Bennell, Strauss, Cheney, McNamara, MacDonald, McDonald, Bartram, even Bruce are likely to get games across half back or the back pocket. I think Cheney's taken some big steps over the pre-season, he might be leading the race to play back pocket.

You can never underestimate the importance of a settled defensive unit.

But Warnock is not that versatile as what Frawley is with the smalls. I tend to agree with OH with regard to Warnock and Round 1, that said we're still 3 weeks away.

Footy is all about matchups, so this needs to be taken into account against a Franklinless Hawthorn.