• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2009

Demonland

Guest hangon007
Interesting to view the Picks as they Stand link on afl.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=85726

Amazing to think back to the Melbourne, Richmond game earlier this year. A game that for me showed me what real trouble Richmond is in. I thought at the time that they would be active in trade week, trying as best they could to improve their draft position, but I have not heard a thing from them all week.

Compare our 4 Picks in the top 18 to their, 4 Picks in the top 44 !

Stunned mullets should be trying, but don't know who or what they have to offer?

Radio SEN reported a big rumour than Richmond think trade week starts next week ... it was gold!!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted this on another thread but can anyone follow up on this......

"1000: Trade Murmur: Melbourne Demons ruckman Paul Johnson has attracted interest from Hawthorn."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...5018851,00.html

Unlikely I would have thought but just curious :P !!!

Posted this on another thread but can anyone follow up on this......

"1000: Trade Murmur: Melbourne Demons ruckman Paul Johnson has attracted interest from Hawthorn."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...5018851,00.html

Unlikely I would have thought but just curious :P !!!

:o:o:o

Make it happen Melbourne!

Anyone like the Daniel Bell & Pick 50 to Carlton for pick 27? I think there will be about 3 of this type of trade by the Dees by the end of the week.

The Fork - Thanks for posting the link to the up-to-date draft selections.

Like it but can't see the Poohs going for it. I've posted similar on 'ology but pick 34 and Bell for pick 27.

I know it's only a 1 liner, but the Age mentions that Melbourne have a possible interest in Everitt. We would have to trade for a pick as he's contracted - I think.

Anyone intrested?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/hawks...4701061556.html

The Ball impasse remains tied to the Andrejs Everitt situation at the Bulldogs. One scenario would see Ball get to Collingwood if the Pies could find a suitable draft pick for St Kilda to pass on to the Dogs for Everitt. Complicating that arrangement is uncertainty over the level of Melbourne's interest in Everitt.

Edited by Demonland

Depends what they want in return. I do not rate everitt as highly as most, that said he is still young and can improve. For pick 34 I would look at him, but I would not part with any earlier picks.

THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2009: DAY THREE by The Oracle

INTERLUDE

For a while, things seemed to be coming to a halt. It was the middle day of the AFL exchange period and not a single deal made it across the line. This gave us the perfect opportunity to reflect on the whole phenomenon of player trading and to make some interesting discoveries.

The machinations and drama of the week's activities generate extensive interest within the football community. We've again seen emotions run high among fans of some clubs even at the mere mention of the possibility of the defection of a player favourite.

There have been times during this period when irate supporters dominated radio talk programmes and internet sites and, at one club, they even demonstrated in the streets. The usual band of hotheads were threatening to burn their membership cards and thanks to the intervention of one club president, we managed to avoid the stage where effigies of club officials were being burnt outside club headquarters.

The reality of this week however, is that most of those changing clubs are the "not quite rights". The truth is that most of what goes on this week will be totally underwhelming in the scheme of things.

The players who are changing clubs are the misfits, the troublemakers, those with on and off field issues, the aging, the injured and injury prone and the fringe dwellers and list-cloggers that, with few exceptions, clubs are only too willing to offload. Sometimes, they are a combination of one or more of the above.

Take a look at the done deals and you'll find them there - the Halls, McLeans and Lovetts and soon they will be joined by the likes of Brendan Fevola with his alcohol-fuelled problems and Shaun Burgoyne with his knee and recent poor form. There's Andrew Raines who has hardly been sighted recently and Shane Tuck who is looking for a new home fell off Richmond's radar after Terry Wallace's departure. Poor old Jesse W. Smith of North Melbourne hasn't had a game outside the VFL ressies for a couple of seasons. There are a few exceptions here and there but for the most part, this week is in danger of becoming the NQR trade period. The real winners from the week might well be those who have cleaned house or those who come out with early draft selections in hand.

My next discovery from this week is the twitter thing. I'm not sold on the innovation but it proved to me yesterday that despite the lack of any movement in terms of completed trades, there was plenty still happening as clubs, players and managers manoeuvred through the day.

Here's a selection of excerpts from various Twitter sites that caught my eye:-

* Western Bulldogs utility Andrejs Everitt looks set to leave Whitten Oval despite the Dogs claiming he is a required player.

* Carlton release statement saying there's been no movement on Fev trade.

* Brown rejects Port: Hawthorn's Campbell Brown has declined an approach by Port Adelaide.

* North Melbourne has been linked to Brisbane's Joel Macdonald after it has been made clear he wants to play at another club.

* Melbourne has officially signed Mark Jamar and Brad Miller to new one-year deals.

* Speculation Fevola may head to Brisbane in exchange for Bradshaw and Rischitelli.

Now, that last item is interesting. The "speculation" is likely to become fact as the two Brisbane players are due to meet with Carlton today and it's odds on they will be joining the Blues in what will be the week's biggest trade, an outcome that will leave these journalists red faced:

Brisbane never made start line in Fevola race

Greg Denham and Patrick Smith | October 03, 2009

Article from: The Australian

BRISBANE yesterday denied it has ever been in the hunt for Carlton bad boy Brendan Fevola, who still remains at large, with Collingwood weighing up its options this weekend.

The Lions quashed media reports yesterday that they were the frontrunners for the Coleman medallist. "He's never been in our plans

and it won't be happening," a club spokesman said about the potential trade next week of the Blues' seven-time leading goal kicker to Brisbane.

Speculation about Fevola relocating to Brisbane was largely based on wrong assumptions that veteran Lions full-forward Daniel Bradshaw was keen to finish his career with a Melbourne-based club. That won't be happening as Bradshaw, who turns 31 next month, has agreed to a contract extension that will secure him to Brisbane until the end of 2011.

Another discovery. Don't always believe what you read in the newspapers.

Of course, every trade week seems to be dominated by two constants - Collingwood's stubbornness and the frustrating manner in which most deals involving Port Adelaide seem to linger on aimlessly.

The Pies have two major irons in the fire. Sydney ruckman Darren Jolly and St. Kilda midfielder Luke Ball are both intent on crossing to the Lexus Centre but, until late in the day, Collingwood was refusing to play ball (excuse the pithy pun but it's marginally better than St. Kilda's "the ball's in their court) by trading its first selection for either player. Finally, it appears to have settled on picks 14 and 46 for Jolly leaving a fair bit of work to be done to secure the Saints midfielder.

Port Adelaide and Hawthorn continued to have trouble stitching up a deal which would enable Burgoyne to become a Hawk. The danger is that the failure to come to terms on deals such as this one tends to hold up and even stymie the possibility of some other of smaller trades from coming to fruition. Free agency is fast approaching.

One smaller deal that was close to being sealed last night was the trade that will see the Saints secure Fremantle's Brett Peake for a third round pick (48).

There are signs that the failure of the clubs to finalise any trades on the middle day of the week was only a brief interlude and there's still more action to come.

Completed Trades on Day Three: Nil

I know it's only a 1 liner, but the Age mentions that Melbourne have a possible interest in Everitt. We would have to trade for a pick as he's contracted - I think.

Anyone intrested?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/hawks...4701061556.html

The Ball impasse remains tied to the Andrejs Everitt situation at the Bulldogs. One scenario would see Ball get to Collingwood if the Pies could find a suitable draft pick for St Kilda to pass on to the Dogs for Everitt. Complicating that arrangement is uncertainty over the level of Melbourne's interest in Everitt.

Maybe we are... Maybe we just don't want a deal to be done with Ball so he can go to the PSD. The dogs need to squeeze Everitt out to keep Aker and Eagleton, They're tight as a drum on their salary cap. They'd prefer our pick 18 to Collingwood's 30 (in exchange for Everitt to the Saints and Ball to the Pies) and if that were to happen, then Collingwood have to find a new way to get Luke Ball to the Lexus centre.

My question is : Why are the Bulldogs happy to move Everitt on?

Read the post directly above yours. The answer is salary cap space. If you're tight as a drum as grazman puts it, you need to find space, and your middle of the road players are where you find it.

Read the post directly above yours. The answer is salary cap space. If you're tight as a drum as grazman puts it, you need to find space, and your middle of the road players are where you find it.

My next question is : Do we want a middle of the road player ?

I'm a bit suspiciuos of Everiit

I know he's had injuries - but I would have thought the Bulldogs would have had a role for him in the finals if he's up to it

Perhaps he's a little hard to handle like his brother?

The best scenario for us out of all this would be to get Luke Ball in the PSD.

Now that Brock is gone, we may struggle to get to the minimum salary cap - Ball's demands would fix that as well as putting a hard nut into the midfield - and he's only 24 or 25

Otherwise Harrington's strategy of getting into three-way deals to try to push our picks up the line ( ie lower them!) has to be the way to go. We are going to have to delist a couple of players if we can't throw them into a trade or two. There seems to be interest in Bell and Buckley. Unfortunately doesn't look like anybody wants Bartram as "run with' option.

So far I reckon our strategy has been spot on. We'll just have to hold our breath until 2.01 pm tomorrow. Let's just hope that no paperwork on Ball hits the AFL before then...

We are going to have to delist a couple of players if we can't throw them into a trade or two.

Have to do that anyway. Seven or eight (draft picks, rookie elevation) into four (retirements/trades) currently doesn't go.

Edited by Maurie Lithen

yeh, hopefully we can remove the the poorer players on our list to some other clubs and with the whole Andrejs Everitt issue, i hope we dont pick him up. I don't really rate him, and find it hard to fit him in our future team if he was to come to us. Hopefully we are stalling negotiations between clubs, so we can land a big fish in the PSD.

Edited by chief demon

Have to do that anyway. Seven or eight (draft picks, rookie elevation) into four (retirements/trades) currently doesn't go.

Doesn't every player-for-pick trade potentially reduce the number of delistings required? The question is whether or not the picks are good enough to use ahead of the PSD, rookie promotions etc

Bell and Pick 50 for Pick 30 say, would increase the number outs to 5. If we had always intended to use Pick 50 the number of delistings required would fall ( now 8 ins ( 5 + 3 say) less 5 outs) : its only if we had previously intended to pass on Pick 50 that number of delistings required would not change.

Doesn't every player-for-pick trade potentially reduce the number of delistings required? The question is whether or not the picks are good enough to use ahead of the PSD, rookie promotions etc

Bell and Pick 50 for Pick 30 say, would increase the number outs to 5. If we had always intended to use Pick 50 the number of delistings required would fall ( now 8 ins ( 5 + 3 say) less 5 outs) : its only if we had previously intended to pass on Pick 50 that number of delistings required would not change.

Considering that it is Carlton interested in Bell the option would be Bell and 50 for either 27 or 43.

The later more a reality but not particularly appealing for us.

Edited by the fork

Maybe we are... Maybe we just don't want a deal to be done with Ball so he can go to the PSD. The dogs need to squeeze Everitt out to keep Aker and Eagleton, They're tight as a drum on their salary cap. They'd prefer our pick 18 to Collingwood's 30 (in exchange for Everitt to the Saints and Ball to the Pies) and if that were to happen, then Collingwood have to find a new way to get Luke Ball to the Lexus centre.

Hence why it's been widely reported that Melbournefc are trying to complicate matters by pushing players such as Ball and Burgoyne to the PSD.

If we somehow get Everitt, it puts the Ball deal into huge trouble!

Pick 18 for effectively Everitt and Ball...

This was mentioned by RR on another thread earlier today.

"Here's pick 18 for you Bulldogs, oh hang on, can you wait, oh here it is - we found it. Wait a second Bulldogs we've lost it, we'll get back to you...." - Harrington

Here is Deeplan for Trade Week Friday:

1 - Bell to Carlton who have been reported as having interest in the various papers

2 - Johnson to Hawks who have been reported to have interest due to Campbell retiring and Bailey doing his knee.

Would leave us with 6 spots?

Bruce to VL, Wheatley, Whelan, Maclean, Bell, Johnson

THE TRADING CHRONICLES: DAY FOUR by The Oracle

MONEY STOPS TALKING

The penultimate day of the AFL's exchange period was full of drama as clubs worked overtime to stitch deals together. Four of them made it across the line according the AFL website's "Trade Tracker" while several others were poised for ratification early in the morning of the final day.

However, the real drama was focussed on a proposed marriage of players and teams that late in the day seemed doomed to failure. Not for the first time were the words "doom" and "failure" associated with Carlton's Brendan Fevola and his club's seemingly desperate quest to sever its ties with the disgraced star full forward. But as night fell, the deal that was seen as potentially the biggest of the trade week was on the brink of falling apart at the seams. The word on the street was that the two Brisbane pawns in the game - Daniel Bradshaw and Michael Rischitelli - would reject a move to the Blues.

Earlier the pair was seen on television news arriving in town and then being feted at Blues headquarters. The body language of the Lions as they disembarked at Tullamarine was hardly promising as the pair shrugged their shoulders non-committed and answered "we'll see" in chorus when asked whether they were happy at the prospect of joining Carlton. They met their potential new coach Brett Ratten and possible new team mate Brock McLean as they were given a tour of Visy Park and stepped around the building site that is to become part of the new training facility out there. The absence of any no smiles or signs of happiness and joy on their faces was a dead giveaway.

It came as no surprise then that as the two made their way home on the return flight north, officials of both clubs were scurrying for cover and rumours began to spread that the deal was off. Those rumours were right on the button. Today's Australian reports that according to a Brisbane official it "was a business deal and it's off, the boys won't go" and the Lions simply do not have a back-up plan to finalise a deal.

Suddenly, Sydney is back in the hunt and the football world is stunned that the Carlton machine with its seemingly endless supply of cold, hard cash which managed to lure to the fold such players as Chris Judd, Robert Warnock and more lately McLean has failed to get its men. Assuming that it really wanted them and wanted a trade to go ahead in the first place.

The reason that Sydney is back on the radar for Fev is that it managed to move Darren Jolly on to Collingwood. For my part, this has touched off some curiosity about the player's age. John Ralph referred to the former Demon and Swan as a "28 year-old" Jolly gosh, we can fit in the same team Josh Fraser but the AFL Record Season Guide lists his birth date as 6 November 1981 which means he's 27, not 28. If the article is right then his potential life span in the game is reduced by a year. The player himself is quoted as follows:

"I have got a four-year deal from Collingwood, and I turn 29 at the end of next month, so hopefully I have another two years after the first four."

What makes it all the more curious is that the sixth of November is hardly the "end" of the month. On the other hand it could be a case of the journalist getting this wrong – it's been known to happen.

And on that note we go into the final day of the cattle market wondering what else is in store in what has already been a very strange week.

We know that in addition to the done deals made official (see below), there are a number of trades ready to cross the line when the doors open in the morning, most notably the Burgoyne to Hawthorn (involving not only Port Adelaide but also Essendon and Geelong) and a handful of others including Xavier Clarke to Brisbane, Marcus Drum to Geelong.

Meanwhile, Sydney, the AFL's "moneyball" club seems intent on its course of remoulding a side without the necessity of bottoming out (an eventuality that would seemingly spell disaster in the coming times of highly compromised drafts).

The Swans last night were reported to have finalised deals to bring Shane Mumford, Josh Kennedy and Ben McGlynn to the Harbour City for draft picks on top of their earlier trades. The big question at the end of the day was whether they had anything left to accommodate a big fish named Brendan.

Confirmed Trades on Day Four:

Trade 8 Brett Peake (Fremantle) to St. Kilda; and

Round three draft pick (No.48) to Fremantle

Trade 9 Jay Schultz (Richmond) to Port Adelaide; and

Mitch Farmer (Port Adelaide) to Richmond

Trade 10 Darren Jolly (Sydney Swans) to Collingwood; and

Round one draft pick (No.14) and round three draft pick (No.46) to Sydney

Trade 11 Xavier Clarke (St Kilda) to Brisbane Lions; and

Round four draft pick (No.60) to Brisbane Lions

What a pity for the Blues that they don't have a magnificent future training venue like the Bubbledome to show off to potential recruits. They might have been able to persuade Bradshaw and Risky Telly to come down to play here.

Or is it only superficial people who come up with superficial reasons for joining clubs?