• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2010 Most Important 6

Still Waiting

For next season I suggest the following 6 players are possibly the most important.

Davey; for skill, pace, leadership, direction, finishing prowess. / To kick more goals.

Green; for his skills, experience, respect, competitiveness. / To stay on the park.

Jurrah; for his explosiveness, surprises, awareness, freakish moments. / To muscle up a tad.

Morton; for his ability to be a backline general and an attack launcher. / Needs body mass.

Grimes; for his ability to clean up defence messes and be the small defence general. /Could go onball occasionally.

Frawley; for his continued development in containing big forwards and running off them. /Work on disposal.

Arguments can be made for others but I feel if this six have good seasons , we will improve steadily.

Any others care to comment?

For next season I suggest the following 6 players are possibly the most important.

Davey; for skill, pace, leadership, direction, finishing prowess. / To kick more goals.

Green; for his skills, experience, respect, competitiveness. / To stay on the park.

Jurrah; for his explosiveness, surprises, awareness, freakish moments. / To muscle up a tad.

Morton; for his ability to be a backline general and an attack launcher. / Needs body mass.

Grimes; for his ability to clean up defence messes and be the small defence general. /Could go onball occasionally.

Frawley; for his continued development in containing big forwards and running off them. /Work on disposal.

Arguments can be made for others but I feel if this six have good seasons , we will improve steadily.

Pick 1 Should be our #1 mid within 2-3 seasons

Pick 2 Should be the equal of Pick 1 over the same duration

Jack Watts An A grade tall forward is priority #1

Liam Jurrah X-Factor wins finals

Jack Grimes Future Captain? Future All-Australian at least

James Frawley Has Scarlett like abilities and will be the lynch pin of defence

Cale Morton Versatile and skilled. A match up nightmare.

That's 7 but I can't split them.

Morton - versatility, poise and run

Jurrah - goals, unable to be contained

Grimes - to become general of defence

Davey - precision delivery, pace and line breaking ability

Jamar - controlling the centre, marking presence around ground

Jones - clearances, packs and run

Sylvia - Strength, skill, marking ability and general class. Keep the work-rate up!

Sorry thats seven, but can't seperate them, there are plenty of others.

Edited by dandeeman

Morton - versatility, poise and run

Jurrah - goals, unable to be contained

Grimes - to become general of defence

Davey - precision delivery, pace and line breaking ability

Jamar - controlling the centre, marking presence around ground

Jones - clearances, packs and run

Sorry thats seven, but can't seperate them, there are plenty of others.

Seven?

Garland - If he's able to get through a season without major injury hassles, he will easily be our best defender.

Grimes - Whether he is moved to the midfield or kept in defence, his input will be crucial. Plays a pivotal role in rebounding 50s.

Jurrah - The human highlight reel. The man to put arses in seats, boost morale and provide the spark to get things happening up forward.

Moloney - The enforcer, the veteran. Don't think I can find anything to dislike about Beamer, his contested possessions will compliment the young midfielders coming into the team.

Davey - The most effective ball-user on our side, the go-to-guy. Hopefully spends a bit more time up forward.

Sylvia - Break-out season in 2009 and if he carries into 2010, it will be invaluable. He is shaping up to be the total package.

In Order

Sylvia he showed this year what he can do, he has the ability to be All Australian Wing/HFF, it is up to him

Frawley he took a big step this year, next year he has to take that key full back role, this guy can not only be a very good defense FB but his attack is also

very good, I see him turning into a Brian Lake type FB

Grimes stay fit you are our Luke Hodge great ability to set up play

Mclean he needs to be that general in the midfield, he needs to start to dominate

Davey hopefully can set things up a bit closer to goal, got to many easy touches accross half back he needs to get the footy so he go put it inside 50m

Jurrah and Watts I put these two together because it is important to the club to get these two playing as many games together deep inside 50m

There's about 12 that have a top 5 finish in the Bluey in their sights next season. Any one of which could make the top handful if they're lucky with injury and others aren't. Green, Davey, Moloney, Sylvia, Jurrah, Bruce... Garland, Frawley, Brock, Bate, Morton, Jones... would be my twelve, with the first 6 being my "most likely" ones. Jurrah makes the first six because our forward effectiveness will define the year we have. If we're as crap as this year, we'll only win maybe 2 more games.

I don't think either of these will spend a majority of their time in the backline.

Grimes will be used in a midfield role more than occassionally - I imagine he'll train with the mids over the pre-season.

The thread says most important but if you are looking for improvement in 2010 then that is a different question - 'Who are the best 6 players in 2010?' would be that question.

Most Important in 2010 - Scully, Trengove, Watts, Grimes, Jurrah, Morton

Best 6 in 2010 - Davey, Sylvia, Grimes, Morton, McLean, Garland

Been given this alot of thought and I feel the key to our success in 2010 i in the guts:

I think JAMAR(if he stays)- ruck strength ,around the ground and resting up forward.

McLEAN- needs to lift dramatically- if he can get the ball out to others- we will be in greater scoring shots.

FRAWLEY- if he xan still progress and stop gorillas- this will help enormously.

BENNELL-HUGE year for him & us. We need to stop the quick, running small forward.

Bruce- Whilst running out of time- his experience all over the ground is very important to the whole team equally McDonald

• 5 months later...

Now that we've seen some practice matches it's a good time to revisit this topic. After a couple of games it's become a little more apparent what our future structure will be and our strengths and (most importantly) our weaknesses. We have some great young talent that will no doubt be our future but what about this season? I'm not expecting Scully, Trengove, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Gysberts, Tapscott etc to carry us, it's go to be the older guys for at least one more season.

So who are our most important 6 this season?

No.1 - Jamar

Jamar is no where near our best player, probably not even in our top 10, but realistically he is our only real ruckman we can rely on to influence games this season. PJ is injured (and not that great anyway), Martin is just not up to it, Spencer is still learning and developing and Gawn is just a kid. Spencer and Gawn could be great in the future though. We've seen in the practice games what happens when we're beaten in the ruck (see Sandilands exploiting our setup), our midfield just isn't smart enough. Jamar though is, at the very least, extremely physical, the opposition doesn't get it easy when he's on the ground. He's also capable of taking a huge pack mark, this at least makes the opposition have to watch him whenever he's on the ground. He's marking ability is much needed with our undermanned forwardline setup.

No.2 - Davey

Davey is as close to a marque player as we've got. Awesome disposal, still great speed and just looks good when on song. When playing forward of the centre he is a match winner, and now that we have to start winning he becomes more important. We need him getting alot of the footy and to deliver it to our forwards.

He's value as a mentor to our group of young indigenous players also cannot be understated.

No.3 - Sylvia

While Davey is our match winner Sylvia could be. In 2009 he showed that he has the ability, this year we need him to turn it on. We need his physical presence in the centre, we need his contested marking and his long goal kicking. Our undermanned forward line needs him to kick goals on a weekly basis.

No.4 - Bate

Like our ruck division our forwardline has alot of potential in Watts and Jurrah, but they won't dominate....yet. Miller is still the same old player, so we need Bate as a key target to take the pressure off the kids. I've never considered Bate a real Key forward but he gets the gig for one reason, right now we have no one else.

No.5 - Green

Injuries from last year have almost made him the forgotten man, but his poise, leadership and experience is desperately needed. He will play everywhere this season; midfield, forward and in defence. He'll be our Mr.Fixit man (along with Bruce who just misses out on the top 6).

No.6 - Rivers

After two full pre-seasons this is his year to get back to his best. With Warnock and Frawley to take the key forwards and MacDonald to add experience we can now afford to play him on the 3rd tall and get the best out of him. I still have faith that he can get back to his best and with him dominating he has the ability to transform our defence. I still believe he can become an elite player.

Now that we've seen some practice matches it's a good time to revisit this topic. After a couple of games it's become a little more apparent what our future structure will be and our strengths and (most importantly) our weaknesses. We have some great young talent that will no doubt be our future but what about this season? I'm not expecting Scully, Trengove, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Gysberts, Tapscott etc to carry us, it's go to be the older guys for at least one more season.

So who are our most important 6 this season?

No.1 - Jamar

Jamar is no where near our best player, probably not even in our top 10, but realistically he is our only real ruckman we can rely on to influence games this season. PJ is injured (and not that great anyway), Martin is just not up to it, Spencer is still learning and developing and Gawn is just a kid. Spencer and Gawn could be great in the future though. We've seen in the practice games what happens when we're beaten in the ruck (see Sandilands exploiting our setup), our midfield just isn't smart enough. Jamar though is, at the very least, extremely physical, the opposition doesn't get it easy when he's on the ground. He's also capable of taking a huge pack mark, this at least makes the opposition have to watch him whenever he's on the ground. He's marking ability is much needed with our undermanned forwardline setup.

No.2 - Davey

Davey is as close to a marque player as we've got. Awesome disposal, still great speed and just looks good when on song. When playing forward of the centre he is a match winner, and now that we have to start winning he becomes more important. We need him getting alot of the footy and to deliver it to our forwards.

He's value as a mentor to our group of young indigenous players also cannot be understated.

No.3 - Sylvia

While Davey is our match winner Sylvia could be. In 2009 he showed that he has the ability, this year we need him to turn it on. We need his physical presence in the centre, we need his contested marking and his long goal kicking. Our undermanned forward line needs him to kick goals on a weekly basis.

No.4 - Bate

Like our ruck division our forwardline has alot of potential in Watts and Jurrah, but they won't dominate....yet. Miller is still the same old player, so we need Bate as a key target to take the pressure off the kids. I've never considered Bate a real Key forward but he gets the gig for one reason, right now we have no one else.

No.5 - Green

Injuries from last year have almost made him the forgotten man, but his poise, leadership and experience is desperately needed. He will play everywhere this season; midfield, forward and in defence. He'll be our Mr.Fixit man (along with Bruce who just misses out on the top 6).

No.6 - Rivers

After two full pre-seasons this is his year to get back to his best. With Warnock and Frawley to take the key forwards and MacDonald to add experience we can now afford to play him on the 3rd tall and get the best out of him. I still have faith that he can get back to his best and with him dominating he has the ability to transform our defence. I still believe he can become an elite player.

Agree with 1 to 5

6 I`m not so sure. It cetainly would be great to have Riv back and firing. For me you could draw straws between Frawley, Morton(if not injured), Grimes and perhaps Jurrah if he shakes off the pre season jitters and is allowed off the leash he was kept on for several matches last year.

Jamar, Moloney, Jones, Davey, Green, Sylvia + Bate.

Sorry I went 7 like others have. Jamar is an obvious one. He is far and away our best ruckman and vital this year. The other 6 are primarily responsible for clearances and forward structure. If we get those two things right we be a much better side.

I'm making the presumption that with the experience now obtained by Frawley, Warnock, Rivers, Bruce, MacDonald and hopefully Garland back and young players (Strauss, Bennell etc coming through) the backline can take care of itself.

If guys like Jurrah, Grimes, Scully + Trengove etc have huge years they will become our most important 6, but they won't win lots of games unless the 7 above perform.

Jamar, Moloney, Jones, Davey, Green, Sylvia + Bate.

Sorry I went 7 like others have. Jamar is an obvious one. He is far and away our best ruckman and vital this year. The other 6 are primarily responsible for clearances and forward structure. If we get those two things right we be a much better side.

I'm making the presumption that with the experience now obtained by Frawley, Warnock, Rivers, Bruce, MacDonald and hopefully Garland back and young players (Strauss, Bennell etc coming through) the backline can take care of itself.

If guys like Jurrah, Grimes, Scully + Trengove etc have huge years they will become our most important 6, but they won't win lots of games unless the 7 above perform.

1 Jamar (hands down our most important player due to the gap between him and the remaining options)

2 Frawley (Only key back we have that can play on the quickish lead up forwards)

3 Davey (Speed, disposal and decision making changes the dynamic of the team)

4 Sylvia (aside from Davey closest to an elite player we have)

5 Jurrah (it may be early but only player that I can see capable of kicking 50+ goals)

6 Grimes (I saw enough on the weekend to elevate him - that probably says more about the rest than it does him)

1 Jamar (hands down our most important player due to the gap between him and the remaining options)

2 Frawley (Only key back we have that can play on the quickish lead up forwards)

3 Davey (Speed, disposal and decision making changes the dynamic of the team)

4 Sylvia (aside from Davey closest to an elite player we have)

5 Jurrah (it may be early but only player that I can see capable of kicking 50+ goals)

6 Grimes (I saw enough on the weekend to elevate him - that probably says more about the rest than it does him)

Tend to agree with this 6 for 2010 most important (not necessarily in that order).

1 Jamar

2 Warnock

3 Davey

4 Sylvia

5 Bate/Green

6 Grimes/Bruce

As food for thought for this list I went back to the '09 B&F.

Granted you can only take things so far, especially with those playing few games / injury returns,

but this is what the positions looked like sorted by votes per game:

Player....VPG

Jamar.....4.29

Davey.....3.73

Moloney...3.29

Bruce.....2.95

Sylvia....2.59

Warnock...2.59

Green.....2.42

Bate......2.35

McDonald..2.33

Jurrah....2.33

Jones.....2.20

Grimes....2.18

McLean....2.16

Frawley...2.15

Morton....2.00

Meesen....2.00

Rivers....1.95

Valenti...1.83

Petterd...1.56

Bartram...1.33

Robertson.1.08

Miller....1.06

Bennell...0.94

Dunn......0.92

Johnson...0.89

Newton....0.80

Cheney....0.75

Martin....0.68

Spencer...0.67

Wheatley..0.67

Jetta.....0.60

Whelan....0.60

Maric.....0.50

Edited by Trident

Tend to agree with this 6 for 2010 most important (not necessarily in that order).

Good to see people rating Jamar , was very important in the games he played last year and we need him to play as many games as possible

1 Jamar - Our most important player, and by a stretch too.

2 Bate - So important to our forward line, ready to explode with 50-60 goals this year.

3 Sylvia - His belief is growing fast now and he is ready for top 50 in the comp. Next step is to become a real danger when resting deep forward this year.

4 Davey - If we have the luxury of playing him forward of the centre this year he will rack up the goal assists like nobody's business.

5 Green - Ready to stake his claim for captain, my tip for the B&F this year.

6 Grimes - Will be a weapon in the midfield if he can stay fit, we saw that on Sat.

1 Jamar - Our most important player, and by a stretch too.

2 Bate - So important to our forward line, ready to explode with 50-60 goals this year.

3 Sylvia - His belief is growing fast now and he is ready for top 50 in the comp. Next step is to become a real danger when resting deep forward this year.

4 Davey - If we have the luxury of playing him forward of the centre this year he will rack up the goal assists like nobody's business.

5 Green - Ready to stake his claim for captain, my tip for the B&F this year.

6 Grimes - Will be a weapon in the midfield if he can stay fit, we saw that on Sat.

Couldn't agree more mate

Most important 6:

Jamar - we will struggle to have any impact in games where he doesn't play

Frawley - needs to keep matching it with high-class opposition forwards

Sylvia - he can change games when he turns it on, but goes missing far too often

Moloney - I see him as the leader of our midfield, needs to attack clearances

Grimes - will be a star, but this year will influence plenty of games provided he stays fit

Bate - must, absolutely must, kick regular goals.