Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

35 minutes ago, ProDee said:

You'd keep Neal-Bullen ?  I thought he was terrible and just looks completely off the pace of AFL footy.  He's a fumbler and makes ordinary decisions and disposal under pressure.  He's the opposite to Oliver in traffic.  

Fair call, I'm still a believer but wouldn't be upset if he was dropped.

44 minutes ago, ProDee said:

You'd keep Neal-Bullen ?  I thought he was terrible and just looks completely off the pace of AFL footy.  He's a fumbler and makes ordinary decisions and disposal under pressure.  He's the opposite to Oliver in traffic.  

He was good against Geelong last year, because he was played as a forward and was OK with time and space.  And he was OK running onto the footy near goals.  But he's not ready as a pure mid at AFL level - yet.  He may, or may not be in time. 

It's possible that with Trengove and Oliver likely inclusions plus Kent and Kennedy underperforming that ANB could be moved forward this week though. I know they've been pushing his inside game at Casey, but as you've said, his best games for MFC have been as a forward.

14 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

I don't think so. The problem with this, is that he is very fumbly below his knees. It would be handy to have a player with some pace in there though. 

Most of our mids have the fumbly below the knee problem or they swallow it up and don't get it off. Oliver excepted.

1 minute ago, america de cali said:

Most of our mids have the fumbly below the knee problem or they swallow it up and don't get it off. Oliver excepted.

Tyson's hands are very clean, and he doesn't get enough credit for that. Unfortunately you never know if he's going to show up or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProDee said:

He was good against Geelong last year, because he was played as a forward and was OK with time and space.  And he was OK running onto the footy near goals.  But he's not ready as a pure mid at AFL level - yet.  He may, or may not be in time. 

Has played a reasonable to good game or two BUT his first two games this year are WAY of the pace! 

I think very good VFL footballer nothing more!

Edited by picket fence

8 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Has played a reasonable to good game or two BUT his first two games this year are WAY of the pace! 

I think very good VFL footballer nothing more!

I think he gets a few more games to prove himself. Has promise and it shows in flashes, but we definitely need more from him. There does have to be an allowance for a player to adjust from VFL to the pace of AFL.

Dropping O'Mac for Frost is good it will cause O'Mac to work harder and if Frost gets dropped he will have to work harder. On paper the Dees should get flogged ( censored ). When you don't have the cattle there is not much that can be done - result wise. I would like to see the end to handycap draws which hasn't help the Dees out.

Ok, let me say I have a pathological hatred of the Hawks that stems back to the days when Lethal wiped out Steve Smith, Peter Giles and Allen Jarrot - all three concussions on days when our men were doing super jobs. I reckon my fondest memory was watching the Dees finally break though against the Hawks at Princes Park in 1984 - Peter Tossol played the game of his life that day with two goals - that was the equivalent of Matt Jones getting two goals nowadays! But having a couple of best mates, who support the poohs and wees, continually remind me of how the Hawks have won more flags since 1964 than Melbourne has won in their entire AFL/VFL lifetime, hurts bad.

For that reason I want us to pull off the upset this week and for that reason I hope Roosy and his team are working overtime to select the right side this week and to do the necessary adjustments to our press.

Dear Roosy, I have 10 keys to selection:

1) Have a player tag Sam Mitchell. When the Swans did so, it worked. He is their best distributor and also best at clearance work, so please Roosy, don't let him run free like you did to last year's players' MVP Robbie Gray last week. With Viney out, there is only one qualified tagger left to use - Bernie Vince. That means he doesn't play back this week unless Mitchell gets sent forward in desperation.

2) Re-educate the players on the press. I am not asking for it to be thrown out in the bathwater, because most of us with sound minds can see it has benefits when it functions, but please stress the importance of forcing lockdowns when the break starts even if it means giving away free kicks in our forward half - the good thing is that the Hawks only have four genuine quicks in their line-up to hurt us on the switch - Smith, Hartung, Hill and Rioli. So it will be harder for them to exploit us over-pressing. Please also stress that once the diamond centre square ball-up is completed, players have to run hard back to their opponent. Talk is the key - communicating down back is essential.

3) Play Nathan Jones down back instead of Bernie. Why. Because every week we need to think about doing something that mucks up opposition plans. With Viney out, Shiels will tag Jones. Playing him down back ensures our defence talks, gives us another leader down there and forces Shiels to wonder who he goes to.

4) Play Chris Dawes. I'm sure Roosy is across this already by now, but not having a third tall up forward means that when Watts rucks and Gawny rests we have only one viable tall option to kick to - Hoges. And that means when Hoges gets it, he has to turn around and hit up ... Petracca? There is a reason why every other side plays three talls. We all have criticised Dawes for not clunking his marks in the past, but at least he makes a contest and the ball usually spills and I thought the whole point this year is that with Kent, Garlett, Harmes and Kennedy we had an abundance of crumbers. By the way, Watts can still play as second ruck - it seems to be keeping him more honest at the contest, although Ceglar may try and hammer him, but it's worth risking and the umps love Wattsy because they know he's a ball player.

5) Tell Petracca he's on his last chance. So far his training form has been the best thing about him. It's time he stood up and showed why we were all raving about him. And please Roosy, explain to him that when he takes a mark, he has to get back quickly to give himself space to launch his kick. He's still playing school footy at times thinking he can pinpoint a pass off one step - he can, of course, except the AFL guy on the mark is a little bit smarter and can get a hand on it. 

6) Play Jack Grimes. Yes I know half the D'Lers don't like him, but the same guys don't like Tom Mac because they didn't quite understand that in previous years the defenders were under pressure - almost all the time - when they went to kick it. I also get that you and Goody have decided he's for the chop at year's end. I realise that you have ended his defensive days. But Grimesy is persistent - he keeps churning out inocuous 30-plus possy games in the twos and then when you make him 23rd and give him false hope that he's close, he backs up the following week and does the same thing. He also scores goals from his wing and doesn't miss from anything under 40m - this is despite the fact that you don't rate him. But sometimes coaches get it wrong - look at Luke Beveridge and his no ruckman policy at the start of last year. Eventually he had to back track and realise that a decent negating ruck is a godsend to a side that prides itself on clearances. Grimes is the second fittest bloke at the club and despite all the rhetoric that he's a turnover freak, his disposal efficiency remains mega high. He gets to contests and he links up - he's not a star but he's a role player and you need it.

7) Play Lynden Dunn - Yep I agree, he's getting slower and older and at some stage soon Oscar will be better at nudging his opponent under the contest. But at this stage Oscar is just a development player. It's been great that you've got a few games into him, but his visual awareness of what's around him is still development league stuff, even if his tank and running ability is top-end. Go back to your senior player - yes he'll be slower but in the next few weeks Dunny can play on McEvoy/Ceglar and Cloke and Tippett. He might even be quicker than them. And with Salem out, you get a reliable kick from full-back kick-ins every time.

8) Play Trengove - Yes I know your marketing guys wanted him to return for a home game, but the Hawks at the MCG is huge. They are nothing like previous years and provided we don't let them get to play keepings off down back (ie: we need to get off to a good start) then we will force them to attack and they will be exploited by us on the break. Most D'Lers know Trengove isn't quick, but nor is Neal-Bullen, and Newton is probably the slowest player at the club, so giving him a go at their expense, will actually speed us up. And the difference is that Trenners is smart - he keeps presenting and he's a good kick. He's like Jack Grimes, except he's tougher in a contest. Start him on a flank and then give him a run through the middle.

9) Play Vandenburg. Sure he's only had the one game in the VFL on his way back, but we need his presence and in particular we need him to take Smith's wing and hammer him. Some D'lers don't realise that he's the second quickest player over 50m at the club. Now that he's over his ankle injury it's time to unleash him on their main attacking weapon. It's either him or Harmes and while Harmesy has been great, he still is a bit hit and miss. There's nothing wrong with sending young guys back to the reserves, it's what all club's do for their development from time to time. And because Vanders will be blowing, have him swap with Grimes midway every quarter. Grimes may not be flash but he will stick to a task.

10) Play T-Mac on Gunston. With Roughy out, he's their go-to man and that's means T-Mac gets the job. We all know that Jetta gets Rioli, so that means Hunt goes to Breust which ain't easy but he's got to stand up and not be bumped off him. And personally I'd have Jones (see earlier rationale) on Puopolo because when Jonesy tackles, they stick. 

Yes I know there a lot of changes and way to many for you to cope with in a normal week. But it's time you went back to your senior players (plus Oliver). Big bodies, extra experience and hopefully a better chance. And if it doesn't work, you can say in your presser that you were playing the three-time premiers.

One more thing. I'm sure you are thinking about axing Kent as well and, given his rush of blood when kicking most weeks, then I can understand that. But your whole pre-season was based around a fab four forwards - Hoges, Garlett, Watts and Kent - who are dangerous on the break. Give Kent another go and show him the tapes of what he did against Richmond and how he baulked and settled before he kicked it. 

My seven changes and opponents

Out: Garland, Viney (inj) Newton, Neal-Bullen, Kennedy, Harmes, O.Mac

In: Vandenburg, Dawes, Dunn, Oliver, Grimes, Trengove, Michie

B: Jetta (Rioli) Dunn (McEvoy/Ceglar) Wagner (O'Brien/Sicily)

HB: Jones (Puopolo) T-Mac (Gunston) Hunt (Breust)

C: Vandenberg/Grimes (Smith) Vince (Mitchell) Stretch (Hill/Hartung)

HF: Trengove (Burgoyne)  Dawes (Gibson) Kent (Birchall)

F: Garlett (Duryea) Hoges (Frawley) Watts (Stratton)

Ru: Gawn (McEvoy/Ceglar) Tyson (Lewis) Oliver (Shiels)

Int: Michie (defensive rotation), Petracca (offensive rotation), Grimes/Vanders, Bugg (midfield rotation)

• Like 20

19 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Ok, let me say I have a pathological hatred of the Hawks that stems back to the days when Lethal wiped out Steve Smith, Peter Giles and Allen Jarrot - all three concussions on days when our men were doing super jobs. I reckon my fondest memory was watching the Dees finally break though against the Hawks at Princes Park in 1984 - Peter Tossol played the game of his life that day with two goals - that was the equivalent of Matt Jones getting two goals nowadays! But having a couple of best mates, who support the poohs and wees, continually remind me of how the Hawks have won more flags since 1964 than Melbourne has won in their entire AFL/VFL lifetime, hurts bad.

For that reason I want us to pull off the upset this week and for that reason I hope Roosy and his team are working overtime to select the right side this week and to do the necessary adjustments to our press.

1) Have a player tag Sam Mitchell. When the Swans did so, it worked. He is their best distributor and also best at clearance work, so please Roosy, don't let him run free like you did to last year's players' MVP Robbie Gray last week. With Viney out, there is only one qualified tagger left to use - Bernie Vince. That means he doesn't play back this week unless Mitchell gets sent forward in desperation.

2) Re-educate the players on the press. I am not asking for it to be thrown out in the bathwater, because most of us with sound minds can see it has benefits when it functions, but please stress the importance of forcing lockdowns when the break starts even if it means giving away free kicks in our forward half - the good thing is that the Hawks only have four genuine quicks in their line-up to hurt us on the switch - Smith, Hartung, Hill and Rioli. So it will be harder for them to exploit us over-pressing. Please also stress that once the diamond centre square ball-up is completed, players have to run hard back to their opponent. Talk is the key - communicating down back is essential.

3) Play Nathan Jones down back instead of Bernie. Why. Because every week we need to think about doing something that mucks up opposition plans. With Viney out, Shiels will tag Jones. Playing him down back ensures our defence talks, gives us another leader down there and forces Shiels to wonder who he goes to.

4) Play Chris Dawes. I'm sure Roosy is across this already by now, but not having a third tall up forward means that when Watts rucks and Gawny rests we have only one viable tall option to kick to - Hoges. And that means when Hoges gets it, he has to turn around and hit up ... Petracca? There is a reason why every other side plays three talls. We all have criticised Dawes for not clunking his marks in the past, but at least he makes a contest and the ball usually spills and I thought the whole point this year is that with Kent, Garlett, Harmes and Kennedy we had an abundance of crumbers. By the way, Watts can still play as second ruck - it seems to be keeping him more honest at the contest, although Ceglar may try and hammer him, but it's worth risking and the umps love Wattsy because they know he's a ball player.

5) Tell Petracca he's on his last chance. So far his training form has been the best thing about him. It's time he stood up and showed why we were all raving about him. And please Roosy, explain to him that when he takes a mark, he has to get back quickly to give himself space to launch his kick. He's still playing school footy at times thinking he can pinpoint a pass off one step - he can, of course, except the AFL guy on the mark is a little bit smarter and can get a hand on it. 

6) Play Jack Grimes. Yes I know half the D'Lers don't like him, but the same guys don't like Tom Mac because they didn't quite understand that in previous years the defenders were under pressure - almost all the time - when they went to kick it. I also get that you and Goody have decided he's for the chop at year's end. I realise that you have ended his defensive days. But Grimesy is persistent - he keeps churning out inocuous 30-plus possy games in the twos and then when you make him 23rd and give him false hope that he's close, he backs up the following week and does the same thing. He also scores goals from his wing and doesn't miss from anything under 40m - this is despite the fact that you don't rate him. But sometimes coaches get it wrong - look at Luke Beveridge and his no ruckman policy at the start of last year. Eventually he had to back track and realise that a decent negating ruck is a godsend to a side that prides itself on clearances. Grimes is the second fittest bloke at the club and despite all the rhetoric that he's a turnover freak, his disposal efficiency remains mega high. He gets to contests and he links up - he's not a star but he's a role player and you need it.

7) Play Lynden Dunn - Yep I agree, he's getting slower and older and at some stage soon Oscar will be better at nudging his opponent under the contest. But at this stage Oscar is just a development player. It's been great that you've got a few games into him, but his visual awareness of what's around him is still development league stuff, even if his tank and running ability is top-end. Go back to your senior player - yes he'll be slower but in the next few weeks Dunny can play on McEvoy/Ceglar and Cloke and Tippett. He might even be quicker than them. And with Salem out, you get a reliable kick from full-back kick-ins every time.

8) Play Trengove - Yes I know your marketing guys wanted him to return for a home game, but the Hawks at the MCG is huge. They are nothing like previous years and provided we don't let them get to play keepings off down back (ie: we need to get off to a good start) then we will force them to attack and they will be exploited by us on the break. Most D'Lers know Trengove isn't quick, but nor is Neal-Bullen, and Newton is probably the slowest player at the club, so giving him a go at their expense, will actually speed us up. And the difference is that Trenners is smart - he keeps presenting and he's a good kick. He's like Jack Grimes, except he's tougher in a contest. Start him on a flank and then give him a run through the middle.

9) Play Vandenburg. Sure he's only had the one game in the VFL on his way back, but we need his presence and in particular we need him to take Smith's wing and hammer him. Some D'lers don't realise that he's the second quickest player over 50m at the club. Now that he's over his ankle injury it's time to unleash him on their main attacking weapon. It's either him or Harmes and while Harmesy has been great, he still is a bit hit and miss. There's nothing wrong with sending young guys back to the reserves, it's what all club's do for their development from time to time. And because Vanders will be blowing, have him swap with Grimes midway every quarter. Grimes may not be flash but he will stick to a task.

10) Play T-Mac on Gunston. With Roughy out, he's their go-to man and that's means T-Mac gets the job. We all know that Jetta gets Rioli, so that means Hunt goes to Breust which ain't easy but he's got to stand up and not be bumped off him. And personally I'd have Jones (see earlier rationale) on Puopolo because when Jonesy tackles, they stick. 

Yes I know there a lot of changes and way to many for you to cope with in a normal week. But it's time you went back to your senior players (plus Oliver). Big bodies, extra experience and hopefully a better chance. And if it doesn't work, you can say in your presser that you were playing the three-time premiers.

One more thing. I'm sure you are thinking about axing Kent as well and, given his rush of blood when kicking most weeks, then I can understand that. But your whole pre-season was based around a fab four forwards - Hoges, Garlett, Watts and Kent - who are dangerous on the break. Give Kent another go and show him the tapes of what he did against Richmond and how he baulked and settled before he kicked it. 

Int: Michie (defensive rotation), Petracca (offensive rotation), Grimes/Vanders, Bugg (midfield rotation)

Whoever The hell you are< ??you have WON me!!

I"m onboard!! 

• Like 2

Just now, Leoncelli_36 said:

Is VandenBerg even fit? Has he played VFL

He played one game last weekend, but I think his game time was managed, so I doubt he'll be included this week.  I don't see Roos and the selection team hitting the panic button and rushing him back in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

I don't think so. The problem with this, is that he is very fumbly below his knees. It would be handy to have a player with some pace in there though. 

In .Trengove, Salem, Dunn,Dawes,

out. Viney ,Kent,OMac ,Newton.

2 hours ago, Deespicable said:

Incredible analysis

• Like 3

As much as I love Garlett up forward he needs more time around the ball. When he creates play we seem to get going. If we struggle to get the ball inside the forward line then his talent is a waste up there. Send him in. Got a few clearances last time he was in there

• Like 1

Olivers name keeps coming up, yet there are posters saying he was on crutches last Saturday. .has the team trained today? Does anyone have any idea of what the go is with Clarry. ..? I feel like all these names are being tossed up without any consideration being given to the players health.

• Like 1

Olivers name keeps coming up, yet there are posters saying he was on crutches last Saturday. .has the team trained today? Does anyone have any idea of what the go is with Clarry. ..? I feel like all these names are being tossed up without any consideration being given to the players health.

8 hours ago, ProDee said:

Completely agree. Looked completely up against the pace, just as he did the previous week. I don't see what others see in him in the clutches. He shows no elite traits to me. 

He might in time be a solid contributor in the midfield, but I don't see it at the moment.

It's a pity because I don't think his lack of leg speed suits our team anywhere except the midfield. I don't see a spot for him in the forward line this year. That's why the FD are trying to fast track his midfield work. He either makes it as a midfielder or he doesn't make the team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deespicable said:

Someone print this out and give it to Saty to hand Roosy at training!

Bang on!

We have on AFL site, 6 regular top 22 players injured while Hawks have 2. 

Will make it that much harder. 

Anyway, teams under full strength seem to do well against us, so here is hoping.