• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Pick activation - both picks activated

Striker475

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So apparently our compo picks have to be declared to be activated before the start of the season.

Note that the mid first round compo is taken AFTER all clubs who have MISSED THE FINALS have had their first round pick and any ensuing compos. The lowest this pick could be would be pick #11, with the highest probably around pick #18. It varies alot depending on who does what and finishes where.

So apparently our compo picks have to be declared to be activated before the start of the season.

Note that the end of first round compo is not only taken AFTER all picks in the first round of the draft, but once again is taken in draft order if other sides are picking - thus probably dropping it down to around pick #25 in my book due to all the compos that will probably be activated.

Such fair compensation!!

I haven't been up with footy news in the past couple of months, but when did our compensation change? Wasn't it supposed to be:

1. A pick immediately following our first round selection, and;

2. A first round pick immediately following the selection of the team that finished 9th.

Given that we should continue to improve over the next few years, and that 2012 is expected to be a great draft crop, I assumed we would be using both those compensation picks this year plus our own first rounder, giving us three picks between 10-16ish.

Note that the end of first round compo is not only taken AFTER all picks in the first round of the draft, but once again is taken in draft order if other sides are picking - thus probably dropping it down to around pick #25 in my book due to all the compos that will probably be activated.

Striker, I think you'd better adjust the Poll selections.

The compensation rules say different. > The AFL's ruling in full http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=123360

The AFL has delivered its ruling on compensation picks...

"THE AFL wishes to advise that four clubs - Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs, the Adelaide Crows and Fremantle - were each today formally notified of the compensation national draft selection(s) they would receive in return for having had an uncontracted player elect to join the newly-formed Greater Western Sydney (GWS) Giants Football Club".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melbourne - Round One selection (Tom Scully)

The selection for (Tom Scully) may be activated by Melbourne after its round one selection in any one of the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 NAB AFL Draft Selection Meetings.

The selection will be immediately placed behind the Round One selection of Melbourne in that particular season. (I.e, should Melbourne earn the right for selection 12, the compensation selection would be number 13, if Melbourne earn the right for selection four, the compensation selection would be number five etc.).

Melbourne - Mid-Round One selection (Tom Scully)

The selection for Tom Scully may be activated by Melbourne at the middle of round one, after the round one selections for those clubs that have missed qualification for the finals in that year, and before the round one selections of those clubs that have qualified for the finals in that year, in any one of the 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015 NAB AFL Draft Selection Meetings.

The club (Melbourne) has the right to on-trade its compensation selections to another club.

If the club on-trades its compensation selection/s to another club, the selection may be used in that year's NAB AFL Draft Selection meeting, or in any other year up to the 2015 NAB AFL Draft....

Ii hope this helps.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

What is the ruling on trading picks after activation? If we trade them onto other clubs do they have to be used by those clubs that year? I've said activate both but it might be work holding onto one for trade if they can't be used after this draft after being activated.

What is the ruling on trading picks after activation? If we trade them onto other clubs do they have to be used by those clubs that year? I've said activate both but it might be work holding onto one for trade if they can't be used after this draft after being activated.

I'm not sure if you can trade after activation - it hasn't been tested, as only one pick was activated in the draft last year (by Brisbane) and they were looking to draft-build, not trade.

I haven't been up with footy news in the past couple of months, but when did our compensation change? Wasn't it supposed to be:

1. A pick immediately following our first round selection, and;

2. A first round pick immediately following the selection of the team that finished 9th.

Given that we should continue to improve over the next few years, and that 2012 is expected to be a great draft crop, I assumed we would be using both those compensation picks this year plus our own first rounder, giving us three picks between 10-16ish.

That's what I thought too.

I'm not sure if you can trade after activation - it hasn't been tested, as only one pick was activated in the draft last year (by Brisbane) and they were looking to draft-build, not trade.

It's my understanding that we can activate the pick and then trade it. The team we trade it to will be forced to use it in that draft as it is active.

I'm guessing we will activate our mid round selection to use on a kid and try use the other as trade.

I'm basing this on the fact that we were not keen on using the mid round comp pick when trying to deal for O'meara.

I've voted to Nominate & use our Mid round 1st Round compensatory selection in the 2012 draft.

This is reputedly a very strong Draft year,,, & we will likely be at our lowest ladder position this year, compared to the following years, as were expected to be on the rise.

Our 1st Round draft pick will 'Float with out ladder position, rising as we do, so will weaken it's value.

I'd use the 1st Round comp' pick this Year, & hold the Mid round Pick till we have some real Aim for it. A trade, or something of real Value to us.

Our Mid Round draft pick will 'Float with out ladder position, rising as we do, so will weaken it's value.

Other way round. The mid-round pick is fixed (as above), while our 1st round compo picks floats with our position (one under). If we finish in the 8, the mid-round pick would become our first, which could be handy.

And just re the mid-round pick, it's after the 10 clubs who finished outside the 8 have had their picks. If that includes the Crows or Dogs, they also have additional first round compo picks after theirs. This could push our mid-round pick lower if they decide to activate them, and is probably going to push the mid-round pick down to around 13 - the highest it could be would be 11. I can't remember if any other clubs are holding first round compo picks (Geelong?), which could push it even lower.

If any of these are traded - as clubs have the right to do - they remain in those positions, irrespective of the position of the club they're traded to. Our first round compo pick will always be one after our first pick, even if we trade it to GWS (for example). Interesting to note perhaps that if we trade that first round compo pick to a team that finishes above us on the ladder, they effectively get an additional and higher pick (and vice versa). Scott Pendlebury anyone?

Well, that's how I read it - willing to be corrected!

I would activate both and if we trade one in trade week then so be it.

Get the kids into the system now and not try to be clever about this - we need all the tralent we can get in 2014 onwards and we don't need to wait to get that talent in and ready.

• Like 2

I would activate both and if we trade one in trade week then so be it.

Get the kids into the system now and not try to be clever about this - we need all the tralent we can get in 2014 onwards and we don't need to wait to get that talent in and ready.

I agree. IMO Geelong were thinking on similar lines when they traded back their mid selection pick to GC for pick 15 last year rather than use it the following year when it was worth more.

Also if we miss the finals then our first 2 picks will be back to back picks in the ND which gives us a slight edge in our tactical planning even if we need to use the first one on Viney.

voted to activate both...

we will be forced to used a first round pick to take JV so with our first round compo pick we could just pick whichever kid we would have got if JV wasn't around thereby making JV effectively a free pick up.

the mid first round compo pick would be good to use in the 2012 draft also because from all accounts there is a potential "super draft" in the offing.

it could be pretty handy trade bait for a team that has been at the top for a while i.e geel, coll or hawks who have not been able to secure many sub teen votes in recent history and if the draft is going to be as strong as touted then top clubs could be asking us what we want for the pick rather than the other way around. personally though i believe we would be better suited drafting the best small forward, outside speedster mid, ruckman, rebounding defender available (in that order) if no adequate trade is offered.

with 3first round draft picks in a strong draft MFC has the potential to add some ready to polish gems without having to pay a significant penalty for using a father son pick

Voted for the end of first round compo

Use it to target any out of contract gun Gold Coast midfielders who are looking to move back home. Player will already have 2 years development on clock and be ready to step straight into our midfield

If no player available, use on best available in draft

Leave other compo pick in bank for later opportunities

Other way round. The mid-round pick is fixed (as above), while our 1st round compo picks floats with our position (one under). If we finish in the 8, the mid-round pick would become our first, which could be handy.

And just re the mid-round pick, it's after the 10 clubs who finished outside the 8 have had their picks. If that includes the Crows or Dogs, they also have additional first round compo picks after theirs. This could push our mid-round pick lower if they decide to activate them, and is probably going to push the mid-round pick down to around 13 - the highest it could be would be 11. I can't remember if any other clubs are holding first round compo picks (Geelong?), which could push it even lower.

If any of these are traded - as clubs have the right to do - they remain in those positions, irrespective of the position of the club they're traded to. Our first round compo pick will always be one after our first pick, even if we trade it to GWS (for example). Interesting to note perhaps that if we trade that first round compo pick to a team that finishes above us on the ladder, they effectively get an additional and higher pick (and vice versa). Scott Pendlebury anyone?

Thanks bing, the sedatives were taking effect at that time, I think?

I'll adjust my post to correct. But the 'gist' is the same.

#Edit: Done, and adjusted my vote as well, I didn't realise we could get another go at the vote, after deleting initial vote. Thats good.

Guest Dr Who

Just remember for every pick we activate we have to either delist another player or pass on a pick that still may get us a quality player in this draft. I would expect most clubs this year, still active around the 5th round. So in our case if we did activate 1 or 2 picks we would have to delete 6-7 players. The interesting exercise comes when you have to name those 6-7 players.

Just remember for every pick we activate we have to either delist another player or pass on a pick that still may get us a quality player in this draft. I would expect most clubs this year, still active around the 5th round. So in our case if we did activate 1 or 2 picks we would have to delete 6-7 players. The interesting exercise comes when you have to name those 6-7 players.

I'll give you a clue. One starts with M and ends with N and it has 6 letters.

True, it is the other way around

However just to be pedantic the "mid-round" pick could also float just a little depending if the were any preceding compensation picks taken

GC have a mid range pick which was traded to them from Geelong. I believe (along the lines bing181 stated) that our mid ranger would be before theirs (assuming Geelong finish higher than us in 2012 which is virtually a lock in).

Dr. Who raises a reasonable point also about how far down the draft we want to go. We can always try offloading a player with a pick to get a pick upgrade or to bring a decent player in but that will be easier said than done.