Umpires !!!??!?!

I think that the 'trip' on Grant in the first quarter might well go down as the worst decision all year. Having said that, and as bad as they seemed, the umps had no impact on the result today.

I think the umpires did have an impact on todays game. I count 5 free kicks to North inside their forward 50 in the first quarter alone. I thought it was a pathetic display by the umpires today. Seemed to be only 1 team on the ground.

I know Melbourne had over 20 free kicks but about 7 of those were in the back pocket because North kicked it out of bounds on the full.

Worst umpiring display I have seen

Apparently there is a new rules where if the ball is held between your shins by another player while you are laying on the ground, you can be pinged for holding the ball

Unforttunately someone forgot to tell Jared Rivers. Oh well.

Oh , and another rule where you arent allowed to fairly contest a boundary throw in inside your defensive 50. Sorry Jeff.

The trip was a bad decision, but it looked like a trip.

The out of bounds on full which should have gone to us but went to them for another shot on goal was as absurd as it gets.

The holding the ball against Rivers when the ball had been knocked away near his ankle and then held in by a North player shows that the umpires are awarding what they imagine rather than what they see.

The free against White for guarding the space at the throw in was an indication that the umpires don't know the rules or spirit of the game.

I also counted 7 head high hits that weren't awarded to Melbourne players and there were at least 6 blatant holding the ball/incorrect disposal decisions that were not given.

Neitz only has a bum and a neck because he sure as hell doesn't have a BACK!!!!

I would have thought the umpiring was the least of our worries !!

Hey Guys,

Was at a mates house watching the game on Foxtel. The commentators were commenting on some of the poor decisions that were being made. I personally had to laugh at some of them, they were just THAT bad. I wonder how it is that an umpire can get away with such a shocking performance and still keep their job. I need to be an ump, they just make it up as they go along.

AS IF THE ROOS NEEDED THE HELP!! Would have been nice if they had given us half a chance by calling the game like they should have!!

I am not making excuses for our shizen performance but I would be interested to know how many scoring shots they had from frees. If you include them with goals they scored from our disgraceful turnovers and its a close game all of a sudden!

The Roos had 12 to 2 frees inside their forward 50 and scored 5 goals with several sitters missed. I could only find 3 people on the ground who performed worse than the Melbourne players and they were not in blue and white but yellow.

If it happened to the Pies Lions or Swans their coaches would be counting the cost of their fines already.

*****HEADLINES ******* HEADLINES ***** HEADLINES*****

Umpires makes some bad decisions... read all about it !!

World to end as we know it !!!!

PM and GG convene summit to investigate this strange and inexplicable occurrence of strange men in yellow seemingly taking control of game of football !!

"Never seen the like of it" claimed Mrs Magoo of Upper Lowercase...

" They seemed to mesemerise the players " says Iva Nutloose , citizen of West Utopia..

"The end is Nigh " proclaims Wanda Inground.. but assures us it doesnt matter as all hell will let loose teh week after

next..or the one after..maybe the following..........

I really never thoght Id live to see the day an umpy make a wrong'n... its all over.. not worth going on now is it :huh::rolleyes:

That free kick that went against jared rivers was incorrect, he had the ball between his knees, Bloody umpire!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

A full on Barry Crocker that one...no wonder Riv cracked it.

Umpires least of the MFC's problems...but they are a HUGE issue for the AFL as a product. Many supporter's regardless of allegiance have had a gutful of over-umpiring. Let the players decide the outcome of the contest. In order to do this we need to review the "arm chop" - the umps are often interpreting legitimate spoils as "arm chops". This is rubbish and its ruining the game as a contest...and thats what we go to the game for, a contest.

umpires didnt change the results of the game?

5 free kicks to roos resulted directly in goals to melbs one...

and roos had 10/25 free kicks in their forward 50 many of which were weak at best....

the downfeild free in the last qrt was the worst it was barley a push in the back.... but earlier davey got decked after disposal and the umpire didnt even pay advantage to us.

Yeah, I started to keep a count.

Kangaroos had seven shots a goal from either highly dubious or totally inappropriate free kicks. (counting one failure to penalise a Kangaroo for a complete non disposal... in the goal square no less)

It always bugs me that Melbourne seem to react badly on-field when umpiring decisions go against them. It unsettles the team and our concentration seems to slip.

Ah well. I guess we're all just lucky that we didn't bump into any of them in the hours after the game. Potential ugly scenes.

How rule changes, new interpretations and the umpiring fraternity have driven our game in the wrong direction.

There was a time when the player who had eyes for the ball and the courage to go and get it was revered in VFL/AFL ranks. At one stage it was decided that this type of player should be protected. A new interpretation was introduced whereby the third player in to the stoppage was penalised if he simply crashed-in and jumped on the player who had already been taken to ground.

This resulted in a new approach to penalise a player who simply jumped on the loose ball and held it in to create a stoppage. The tackler was required to hold his jumper and put one hand in the air. This would frequently result in a holding the ball decision to the player who ‘claimed’ the bloke who was making no attempt to make the play.

This seemed to work well for a few years.

Then a new interpretation came into being. If the player who took possession was trapped on the ground by the tackler he had to make some acceptable effort to push the ball out or hit it clear. All of a sudden any number of tacklers could jump on the poor unfortunate who made the ball his objective. The main aim was to hold the ball in so that the fools in white/yellow/green/red etc. would be driven to make that ridiculously theatrical downward sweeping motion of both arms to signal BALL!!!!

The ball player suddenly became the victim of stacks-on-the-mill tactics which often include members of his own team.

I challenge any member of the current central umpiring panel to try this move at training. Take possession of a football at ground level, allow three or more of your mates to wrap you up in a cacoon-like grip and then try to push the ball out from under the heap. If you succeed, try doing it with your head held in a vice like grip by your colleague’s knees while another mate places one of his knees squarely on your central spine. You may like to heighten the absurdity of the activity by having a weedy little prima donna call out “knock it clear, knock it clear” whilst running backwards in a moronic arc around the focal point.

This is chapter one in the series ‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it’

Other chapters include…

The Hands In The Back Rule

The Chopping Of Arms Rule

The Take Front Position In The Ruck Rule

The Kick It In Before The Umpire Waves The Flags Rule

The Extended Interchange Rule

The Jumping Too High At The Central Bounce Rule

The 50 Metres For Anticipating That The Marker Was Playing-On Rule

The Zero Tolerance For Noting In The Vernacular That The Ump Had Made A Mistake Rule

The Sydney Must Have Barry Play The Grand Final Rule (not leaping Leo)

And more!!!!!!

[quote'Redleg'

Exactly my sentiments, Redleg.

We should have an official whinge. It seems to help!

You'd have thought the Umps would have had a grudge against "Johnny come" Laidley after his strange diatribe last week, but no, an armchair ride the next week. This has happened before. I think Essendon started to fare(even) better after Hird insulted McLaren. There are numerous other instances.

So go ahead, Footy Dept, tell the AFL what you thought about McInerney and his ignorant neophyte colleagues on Saturday. You CAN"T have been happy.

OK, it looks like an excuse for playing poorly(which there's no doubt we did), but if it improves our chances against the Pratt crooks, let's go for it.