Clayton Oliver

Demonland

34 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

one wonders what role connors played in all this

there was a nice pot of money in this for him ... maybe follow the money

just sayin

Don’t think so.

He is currently getting probably 4% of Clarrry’s salary and that wouldn’t have increased and could have decreased.

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

Like this direct quote from Tom Stewart;

“It was good, obviously any sort of talent we can attract to the club is important for us, so I had the opportunity to meet with him and it is an interesting thing for me in my stage of the career, but it went well, he’s a good man"

Players meet with other clubs all the time. It doesn’t mean everything else is true. It seems in a long career just about every player has met with another club. If a club is that into you you’ll probably go meet with them at some point. 

you also have to consider everything Clarry and the club have said against that piece of info.

Edited by von
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, von said:

Players meet with other clubs all the time. It doesn’t mean everything else is true. It seems in a long career just about every player has met with another club. If a club is that into you you’ll probably go meet with them at some point. 

you also have to consider everything Clarry and the club have said against that piece of info.

Weird that Oliver never shut it down during the trade period, even liking a post on instagram saying he was keen to go to Geelong next year.

Weird that the club never denied that we had shopped him around.

Seems like those sorts of things would be easily done if it was just a run of the mill meeting that almost all players do in their career.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

53 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

one wonders what role connors played in all this

there was a nice pot of money in this for him ... maybe follow the money

just sayin

I'm not a lawyer but a player manager trying to manufacture a trade that potentially decreases their clients pay to get a side-deal from the club in question seems like it would be fairly illegal.

Just now, KozzyCan said:

Weird that Oliver never shut it down during the trade period, even liking a post on instagram saying he was keen to go to Geelong next year.

Seems like those sorts of things would be easily done if it was just a run of the mill meeting that almost all players do in their career.

Agree KC. The whole industry, including fans but most of all the media need to mature in this space. 

Clubs and players exploring options/kicking tyres is completely normal. It does not mean the current arrangement is untenable. 

I maintain if we introduce an ability to trade in contract players where and when the their current club wishes the whole competition will grow up. The league's participants are way to petulant for the size and wealth it presents as a whole.

• Like 2

Just now, Dee*ceiving said:

Agree KC. The whole industry, including fans but most of all the media need to mature in this space. 

Clubs and players exploring options/kicking tyres is completely normal. It does not mean the current arrangement is untenable. 

I maintain if we introduce an ability to trade in contract players where and when the their current club wishes the whole competition will grow up. The league's participants are way to petulant for the size and wealth it presents as a whole.

Requires maturity from both the clubs and players, the media will follow suit. When players or clubs get pissy about one another exploring trades then the media are going to feed on the drama.

I like the idea of clubs being able to trade in contract players but don't see the AFLPA ever going for it. Players don't get paid enough for an overseas model like that to work.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Don’t think so.

He is currently getting probably 4% of Clarrry’s salary and that wouldn’t have increased and could have decreased.

i read somewhere it was worth 50k to him but i can't remember where i saw it

he obviously wouldn't want a new reduced contract, but if it was covered between two clubs then it would stay the same

beyond that i don't know ... maybe new endorsements/sponsorships etc? i'm sure other inducements could be dangled (legit ones that is)

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, KozzyCan said:

Dan Houston shut down his trade period in the media during finals than a month later admitted that he just straight up lied to diffuse tension.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

Dan Houston shut down his trade period in the media during finals than a month later admitted that he just straight up lied to diffuse tension.

And didn't get to the club he actually wanted to go to. Pies must have a better arrangement with Connors.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

beyond that i don't know ... maybe new endorsements/sponsorships etc? i'm sure other inducements could be dangled (legit ones that is)

Doubt it, Bailey is the face of Cotton On.

Edited by Redleg

1 hour ago, KozzyCan said:

Oliver also liked the MFC comment that Cambell was coming to the club. Trolling maybe? His mother also called the reporting a load of 💩.

Tim Lamb literally challenged the idea we “shopped him around” and said that it was incorrect day one of trade period, he also challenged the idea Clayton was “desperate to leave” last day of the trade period. The President also made two comments saying he was never being traded as did the head of football. That’s about as strong as a club can go. Pert’s in the middle of two reviews. The board/governance one as a subject and the FD one directly, he shouldn’t being doing media while involved in those processes. 

Whether it was run of the mill or not is irrelevant they could’ve put Clayton in a cats jumper and had him run laps of GMHBA we were NEVER going to trade him this year. The entire media narrative was the GFC and potentially Clayton’s management putting pressure on us to trade and others whiteanting Pert.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The situation was bought upon the club by our own actions, whether Pert/board/FD whoever. Oliver was not disgruntled until we started shipping him around behind his back for the 2nd year in a row.

You want to talk about destabilising, look at the governance of the club.

Exactly. There is almost a US style "fake news" obsession with many Demonland supporters blaming all our alleged troubles on the media.

To them the Joel Smith saga 2023 Clarry saga, Brodie Grundy debacle, 2022 & 2023 finals failures, 2024 Fremantle disaster, Trac injury saga, & Clarry 2024 saga were just Media beat ups.

Everything is fine, the coaches are doing great, the Football Dpt is doing well & the Board is terrific.

All good nothing to see.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Go back and read properly. This was prior to the Pert sourcing our trade talk they were happy with the club support around Oliver especially dating back to last year when he went off the rails and Goodwin gave him some tough love but also wrapped his full support around him.

So of course Clayton and his family were completely blind sided and were pretty disappointed with how it all played out and still are.

Can i just remind you that this all comes back on Gary Perts decision to bypass the likes of Green, Goodwin and Clayton's management which had caused tensions internally.

I'll be incredibly shocked if Pert is with us come round 1 next year. That part is based off my own personal opinion and nothing else.

I read your initial comment and quoted it correctly. Later you changed to say that it was only dad that was disgruntled- no doubt because you had been successfully called out on the misinformation re his mum.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

I read your initial comment and quoted it correctly. Later you changed to say that it was only dad that was disgruntled- no doubt because you had been successfully called out on the misinformation re his mum.

Lol nah.. didn't get called out at all bro. If that's what been called out looks like to you then you're completely off the mark 😅

Have another go.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, rpfc said:

Imagine how picks we would get for Petracca and Oliver if that happens?! 😍😍😍

Seriously  funny 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Go back and read properly. This was prior to the Pert sourcing our trade talk they were happy with the club support around Oliver especially dating back to last year when he went off the rails and Goodwin gave him some tough love but also wrapped his full support around him.

So of course Clayton and his family were completely blind sided and were pretty disappointed with how it all played out and still are.

Can i just remind you that this all comes back on Gary Perts decision to bypass the likes of Green, Goodwin and Clayton's management which had caused tensions internally.

I'll be incredibly shocked if Pert is with us come round 1 next year. That part is based off my own personal opinion and nothing else.

Haven't seen any proof Pert bypassed others without consent? Maybe he was asked to do it so others could maintain their relationship with clayton. Who really knows

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

18 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

Haven't seen any proof Pert bypassed others without consent? Maybe he was asked to do it so others could maintain their relationship with clayton. Who really knows

Was thinking something very similar.

I wondered if claz needed another rocket, perhaps after some backsliding (eg brownlow night carry on), similar to the threats to trade him last year, but needed a new bad cop.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

6 hours ago, von said:

Why is it that some like to ignore all the direct quotes from players and club but hold up media theories and secondhand info as gospel and jump all over those who question them. 

I have a theory. In their life time they had a media that was more trust worthy than it is now. They haven’t adjusted to the new media landscape. Which is basically there is no good information other than direct sources. The rest is dribble. As well as that they are of a generation in which the man leads and what he says goes and are therefore not all that used to being told they are full of you know what and struggle with the idea they could be wrong. Especially by a woman or those younger than them. As well as this they have this idea that they could do things better if only they had been given a chance, so they criticise, criticise, criticise. Like their dads did to them and their dads before them and so on and so forth.

In conclusion, how good is it we have Clarry and trac running around with the biggest preseason they’ve had in years. 

go Dees

Are you related to Otto Von Bismarck? I've just written a story called Otto Van - the Van after Ludwig Van, of course. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KozzyCan said:

I'm getting sic and tyred of your god-like prognostications - rhymes with a word beginning with m...

• Haha 3