2024 Player Reviews: #21 Matthew Jefferson

Demonland

Date of Birth: 8 March 2004

Height: 195cm

Games CDFC 2024: 17

Goals CDFC 2024: 29

The rangy young key forward was a first round pick two years ago is undergoing a long period of training for senior football. There were some promising developments during his season at Casey where he was their top goal kicker and finished third in its best & fairest.

2024ReviewMatthewJefferson.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

2025 is his year.

2 years of VFL level is enough.

HF is his for the taking

Agree SS 

I am wondering if MJ could part play on a flank with his skill and speed?  As a roaming forward who could slip into a forward pocket providing a challenge for opponents probably a third or fourth defender. Fritta might get the third  although I imagine a taller defender might still take on Matty. 

This is only to see if he can play a slightly different not KFP and attract a smaller or lighter backman. 

Of course I can’t wait to see how much more he has built up and he may be perfectly able to start using his IMO very able forward’s skills to win the ball. 

I hope he can play AFL this year because I believe JVR Disco and Harry will be an entirely different proposition at some stages in 2025. 

Good luck Jeffo like JVR you have done your apprenticeship and now to show the world on the big stage. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

1 minute ago, 58er said:

Agree SS 

I am wondering if MJ could part play on a flank with his skill and speed?  As a roaming forward who could slip into a forward pocket providing a challenge for opponents probably a third or fourth defender. Fritta might get the third  although I imagine a taller defender might still take on Matty. 

This is only to see if he can play a slightly different not KFP and attract a smaller or lighter backman. 

Of course I can’t wait to see how much more he has built up and he may be perfectly able to start using his IMO very able forward’s skills to win the ball. 

I hope he can play AFL this year because I believe JVR Disco and Harry will be an entirely different proposition at some stages in 2025. 

Good luck Jeffo like JVR you have done your apprenticeship and now to show the world on the big stage. 

Agree with ya

He is slightly built for a height of 195cm. I believe he did spend time rotating off a wing/HF in the VFL. 

I can see him being a lead up HF just as Turner did for us last season when he did play.

HF - Pickett, Petty, Jefferson/Turner

F - Chandler, van Rooyen, Fritsch 

• Like 1

Disappointed that he didn't get a senior game when our season was effectively over (Round 19 onwards??).

Can't see him making an impact in 2025 but if he can have a 20 goal AFL season and take the pressure of Fritsch I'll be happy.

His year is 2026 which will see Petty down back (post Tmac) and Jefferson and JVR as the two key forwards with Fritsch as the impact forward.

He's still a 50/50 proposition for me at AFL level. Like most I got burned by Weid with that word "potential" not to menion "breakout."

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Let's not get carried away. I like his improvement in 2024 but so far he has done SFA.

Coz he should have played last 4 games but as u know Goody would prefer others!!!

• Vomit 1

Surely for him to play, it means one of Petty / JVR / Disco need to be out of the side (or maybe in defence).

What's his defensive pressure like? I think the competitiveness is what they like about the others and why someone like Weid did not make it.

Despite what ppl think / say about Petty - I reckon his year was injury affected and he's a solid body and has a bit of mongrol in him (albeit he seemed to be down on confidence this year).

• Like 2

I would love to see Matt Jefferson play 10-15 games in 2025 to build his confidence and get a good look at him. Watching him at the B&F he looks taller and a bit solider than when I saw him out at Casey Fields family day. I like the HF flank suggestion provides the ability to move around and help free Fritsch up.
I think his problem will be Disco, he looked pretty good as the year wore on and will be hard to displace. Still nice problem to have.

• Thanks 1

In the games I saw him play towards the end of the year it struck me that he had already put on a fair bit of muscle. I sure he will have an AFL ready body after this preseason. 
He has a very unusual body shape with his hunched over upper back but seemed have pretty on a bit of beef in his legs. 
2025 will be the year that defines him I think. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SthSea22 said:

2025 is his year.

2 years of VFL level is enough.

HF is his for the taking

He’s going to need to do a Judd McVee and get super fit.

• Thanks 2

On 10/10/2024 at 13:56, Diamond_Jim said:

Disappointed that he didn't get a senior game when our season was effectively over (Round 19 onwards??).

Can't see him making an impact in 2025 but if he can have a 20 goal AFL season and take the pressure of Fritsch I'll be happy.

His year is 2026 which will see Petty down back (post Tmac) and Jefferson and JVR as the two key forwards with Fritsch as the impact forward.

He's still a 50/50 proposition for me at AFL level. Like most I got burned by Weid with that word "potential" not to menion "breakout."

Agree again DJ. I cannot see him as KPF in 2025. Doesn't have size/ weight from my observations. Never looks like he will turn a game at VFL level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

On 11/10/2024 at 01:24, picket fence said:

In answer to defensive pressure,?? VERY VERY GOOD in games I saw, tackles hard and stick! MUST PLAY ROUND 1

Obviously I watched different games to you pf. I didn’t watch every game so it would appear I missed the defensive pressure games. I will be very surprised if he plays game 1 in seniors. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2024 at 14:56, Diamond_Jim said:

I was there for his “ breakout” game v cats in 2018. sigh.  I’m also not sure what to make of Jeffo  yet. On the plus side  he IS improving and has quite a consistently good second half of 24. On the negative he looks like someone that will get monstered at AFL level.  I’m just not gonna believe it at AFL til I see it…. love to be wrong tho. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Obviously I watched different games to you pf. I didn’t watch every game so it would appear I missed the defensive pressure games. I will be very surprised if he plays game 1 in seniors. 

Happy to bet in multiples of 10

10 thousands or whatever, are u game??

• Haha 1