Trade Targets 2025

1 minute ago, roy11 said:

Personally I'd rather not trade our leading goal scorer for the last 5 seasons!

We'd have soccer style score lines with out Fritta some weeks

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, adonski said:

We'd have soccer style score lines with out Fritta some weeks

I'd rather trade Salem. We have enough people in our half back line.

Salem can't contribute in the midfield.

Where else can we utilise him? I just don't see it.

• Like 5

Watching the Hawks play we need to focus on speed and endurance more than anything. Langdon, Windsor and McVee definitely have it. We probably need another 2-3 with elite speed and endurance to compete with the best sides now.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Watching the Hawks play we need to focus on speed and endurance more than anything. Langdon, Windsor and McVee definitely have it. We probably need another 2-3 with elite speed and endurance to compete with the best sides now.

Yes, we need that in each line on the field so that we are capable of doing those killing transitions from defensive half to our fwd 50.

HB we got it covered with McVee

Rivers in the midfield 

Kozzy should be in the HF

Just get a couple more of those players.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I also don't want to hear any more Melbourne supporters saying Goodwin can't coach an aggressive offensive team. The way these teams are playing is Melbourne 2018.

We still have bloody good personnel behind the ball. Back them to win contests, and go super aggressive at stoppage with +1 and even +2, and more of some of that ball movement from last night, which was straight down the corridor, and straight to 30m out directly in front.

Get contests from at least 2 talls in that 30m danger area, get smalls and mids to the foot of the contest. In 2018, it was TMac and Weideman. Neither were superstars, but gave contests, TMac did hit the scoreboard well, but Weideman competed, and Melksham was alongside them.

In 2025, it could be JVR and Petty/Turner. Add a Wright or Walker that could kick 30+, alongside Fritta, Trac and Kozzy. I think Spargo needs to be ahead of Chandler, but another small needed in there.

The model we went for in the first half of this year is probably Richmond 2017, which was either win perfect clearance or lose clearance with post clearance pressure applied and maintain defensive stability behind the ball, and then quick and long to contests in the forward half.

Unfortunately, no Riewoldt, Martin or a fleet of smalls in our forward half. Trac could bring Martin's dominance, Koz and Fritta are class, but when Trac went down that game style was always going to be an uphill battle.

The main hopes for me is we fix our stoppage work and philosophy around contest, and our whole game will flow from there. Let May, Lever, TMac and Salem gamble a bit on intercept, and get our half backs up at and through stoppage.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Let May, Lever, TMac and Salem gamble a bit on intercept, and get our half backs up at and through stoppage.

3 of those 4 are very close to the end and the other is a tad lost without one of them. We're going to need a good run with injuries next year. I don't have TMac in my best side next year. I'm not going to rely on Salem but will certainly play him when he's fit and hopefully that's a 16 game stretch at the right time. We're going to patch up May and get him lean and strong and fit over summer and cross our fingers he plays the year out. I also think Petty needs to go back but have a feeling we'll persist with him forward. 

6 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

3 of those 4 are very close to the end and the other is a tad lost without one of them. We're going to need a good run with injuries next year. I don't have TMac in my best side next year. I'm not going to rely on Salem but will certainly play him when he's fit and hopefully that's a 16 game stretch at the right time. We're going to patch up May and get him lean and strong and fit over summer and cross our fingers he plays the year out. I also think Petty needs to go back but have a feeling we'll persist with him forward. 

If we don't get continuity with those guys, I hope Petty goes back, because I'd be trusting him to intercept too.

It's more about allowing/trusting guys with experience to intercept, that may be Houston and/or Cumming as well. That enables our running backs like Bowey, AMW and even Howes to get up the ground, and Rivers and McVee when they're not in the midfield.

19 minutes ago, demoncat said:

If Saints and Adelaide win their remaining games. Both currently ahead against the Tigers and Dogs. Unlikely but stranger things have happened…

Would require the Crows beating Port and Sydney. But as you said, stranger things

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

It's a full ground approach. Amon and Impey drive it a lot and they combine with their tall backs, especially Weddle to really power it from their backline. Their midfield gets called young but the reality is Day, Newcombe, Worpel and Nash are all pretty experienced and coming in to prime ages sooner than later. And then their half forwards all just run to great areas and have great flow, especially Dyl Moore but others like Connor MacDonald too.

We have to start with making sure our core rotation of mids is rock hard fit, then get our backline to stop playing so scared and lazy to run, then hope we have enough half forwards with some smarts, work rate and class as well as tall forwards who don't just position down the line but are actually reacting to the ball movement and willing to make unrewarded leads.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

10 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

I also don't want to hear any more Melbourne supporters saying Goodwin can't coach an aggressive offensive team. The way these teams are playing is Melbourne 2018.

We still have bloody good personnel behind the ball. Back them to win contests, and go super aggressive at stoppage with +1 and even +2, and more of some of that ball movement from last night, which was straight down the corridor, and straight to 30m out directly in front.

Get contests from at least 2 talls in that 30m danger area, get smalls and mids to the foot of the contest. In 2018, it was TMac and Weideman. Neither were superstars, but gave contests, TMac did hit the scoreboard well, but Weideman competed, and Melksham was alongside them.

In 2025, it could be JVR and Petty/Turner. Add a Wright or Walker that could kick 30+, alongside Fritta, Trac and Kozzy. I think Spargo needs to be ahead of Chandler, but another small needed in there.

The model we went for in the first half of this year is probably Richmond 2017, which was either win perfect clearance or lose clearance with post clearance pressure applied and maintain defensive stability behind the ball, and then quick and long to contests in the forward half.

Unfortunately, no Riewoldt, Martin or a fleet of smalls in our forward half. Trac could bring Martin's dominance, Koz and Fritta are class, but when Trac went down that game style was always going to be an uphill battle.

The main hopes for me is we fix our stoppage work and philosophy around contest, and our whole game will flow from there. Let May, Lever, TMac and Salem gamble a bit on intercept, and get our half backs up at and through stoppage.

Not a mention of the ace in the pack up forward Matty J. Really he is the big hope to add another big potential marking ( and ground) player.

He could easily hit the ground running and be a complete surprise packet because his forward instincts look sharp and natural. Maybe a Membrey or Wright or a much more forward Kenterfield could surprise, 

11 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Try him up forward as a floating player in the half forward/ forward pocket mould. That puts Billing’s out of a job and a goal scorer is added with experience. 

11 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Salo has no real equity for a trade as he is a Demon also to his bootstraps. 

13 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

We finally get rid of all the old broken down or ordinary tall forwards and you go get 2 more?

And you expect ANB and Koz to do the work of 5 players being the midfield and running depth as well as pressure forwards?

I mean, maybe if we sign David Teague we can attempt to score 150 a week and win by a goal?

Not sure where we are finding the money to pay Houston and Cumming without giving anything up either. Nor am I sure who’s playing back pocket out of that group. Hard to convince Cumming to come and play back pocket each week.

This half back fiasco is not our real problem .

Our defence can change a game style with running half backs etc. 

Its our forward line and game.plan and personnel. . Why do other teams have automatic connection and we make it look like it’s an early 30’s tram. 

5 hours ago, 58er said:

Salo has no real equity for a trade as he is a Demon also to his bootstraps. 

Salem showed on Saturday night, he still has lots of AFL footy in front of him.  Salem just needs to get his body right and he definitely makes us better.  I’d rather Salem over Bowey 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I fear the club is panicking in its chase of a 28 year old HBF, especially when we’re crying out for young classy mids that will be available at our picks in the draft.

I’d be surprised if we take our first pick to the draft. 

Assuming the goal is still to win a flag in the short term, the balance of our list shows we need more in that 24-28 age bracket  - we had the highest number of players under the age of 22 playing last week, which is exciting for the future but a concern for the short term.

Whilst Houston isn’t the most exciting prospect to chase, he is an experienced AA who is consistent and makes smart decisions moving it forward, and still has 5+ years of footy left in him.