Vale John Beckwith

Another great Demon and pemiership skipper of our golden era passes. One of my childhood heroes along with Ron Barassi and Noel McMahen. 

Johnny Beckwith came to the club from Black Rock where he won an Under 18 Best & Fairest. He joined the Demons in 1951 and soon tasted success in that great team of the 50s and early 60s. He played in five premierships - 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, and 1960 (his last game as a player) and was captain in two of those campaigns (1957 and 1959) winning the Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Medal in his first season as Melbourne skipper. 

He is a Melbourne Hall of Famer and was named back pocket in the club’s Team of the Century. He was famous for finding the boundary with his kicks out of defence in tight finishes well before the out of bounds on the full rule came in. He also coached the club in the post-Norm Smith era from 1968 to 1970 but had little success with a team in the early stages of decline after that great era for which he will always be remembered.

Apart from the fact that the names of Beckwith and Barassi will always be tied together as great Demon captains and premiership players, there is another little snippet that binds them. Ron Barassi passed away last year on September 16 - it was the day of John Beckwith’s 91st and last birthday.

Condolences to John’s family.

[This is an article by club historian Lynda Carroll about the late John Backwith - Where are they now?]

IMG_9073.thumb.jpeg.a09f78b89a3b0be01c171488d2a3af11.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 9
  • Clap 2
  • Sad 1

Fond memories of #30 defending solidly and kicking down the line. 
These days he would get repeatedly pinged for “insufficient intent” by the magic mindreaders in fluoro - the old fashioned white maggots never did. 
Valé

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Fond memories of #30 defending solidly and kicking down the line. 

Or sometimes over the line.  The "Out of bounds on the full" rule didn't exist in John's day.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Or sometimes over the line.  The "Out of bounds on the full" rule didn't exist in John's day.

From memory - I saw him play and coach - his tactic was the reason OOTF was introduced.

Sadly I never saw him in his prime - that I can recall

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Fair call, D. However, it was important that the ball did go down the line as far as possible before it went over it, getting the resultant throw-in as far from the oppo's goal as possible. A degree of skill and risk taking required! 🙂

• Like 3

Vale John Beckwith absolute MFC legend of the game.

• Like 6

I remember when they brought in the OOF rule and he was asked about it - he said something like "I wouldn't have worried, I was pretty good at the off-break".

Great sense of humour...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It’s with great sadness that I learn of Johnny’s passing.  For those of us who are old enough, and were lucky enough to see Johnny play, we will never forget the key part he played the ‘golden era’ of our great Club.    
A childhood hero of mine, who is no longer with us, but whose memory will live forever in my red and blue heart, and in the history of the Melbourne Football Club.  
Vale Johnny.  RIP.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Posted (edited)

Vale John Beckwith. 5 time premiership player for the Dees. What a legend! Sad day for the MFC. My condolences to his family.

Edited by Lou C. Fur
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Another great Demon and pemiership skipper of our golden era passes. One of my childhood heroes along with Ron Barassi and Noel McMahon. 

IMG_9073.thumb.jpeg.a09f78b89a3b0be01c171488d2a3af11.jpeg

Come on get it right McMahen was a Melbourne legend McMahon was a dud Prime Minister.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Please please have a minute silence for John Beckwith before the Kings Birthday game.  
5 x premiership player 
Former captain during our golden era.
He was a club legend.  My late father said he was such a strong defender.  Think Jake Lever / Steven May of his day.  An absolute star.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Well aware of the Beckwith legend but his feats were before my time.

Very sorry to hear this news.

Condolences to family, friends, fellow team members of the time and the MFC.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Im sure he lived a great life and will be remembered as a Demon legend. RIP John.

• Like 4

The Skipper. 

After missing this era by a long way but devoting a lot of time to studying the past and reading anything I could get my hands on, Beckwith was the guy I identified with as the true spiritual leader of those 50s sides.

Would have loved these guys to see another flag or two but so happy that they got to see our breakthrough.

RIP

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Very sad news. I had the honour of meeting this absolute gentleman in the MCC members stand during our horror years. At the time I was in my early 20s, I got talking to him, I didn't know who he was, I think I complained about Bartram. A few months (or year) went by and some club media came out with him and Hassa Mann, I recognised him straight away. I hope he had a wonderful life well beyond football, my thoughts are with his family. May he rest in peace.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Never had the privilege of seeing John Beckwith play, of course the boundary kick was legendary. But as a youngster going to the ‘G he was my very first Demon’s coach. Of course he was a guest on World of Sport on Channel 7. Can almost remember Lou Richards with his cheeky asides, but John always responded graciously with a smile. Except for ‘58 you’d think we had the wood on the colliewobbles.

l do recall going out to a wintry VFL Park one bleak Saturday arvo. When the pupil was pitted against the master. Norm Smith was the coach of South Melbourne post his final less than dignified departure from the Demons. His health by then was ailing, but the Red Fox still managed to get one back. Led by ‘The Chimp’ Bobby Skilton, the Swans delivered a bath to the John Beckwith coached Melbourne side.

His stint as coach at the MFC was like most of his successors, unsuccessful. Unlike his storied playing career. I’m sure he gave his charges down in the change rooms after the game, solace. A successful captain always supports his team. Vale John Beckwith.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just before my time. My parents loved him and talked endlessly of his leadership and nouse. 5 premierships!! Well played, John, RIP. 

• Love 2