CASEY: Rd 09 vs Sandringham

Posted (edited)

Only saw roughly 3 quarters but would have AMW, Laurie, Jefferson, Tholstrup and Billings amongst the best of the dees players. Adams is growing in confidence in defence with his marking ability. Sestan doing nice things linking up across the half forward line and Ben trying to wind back the clock in the last quarter.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

Poor Jefferson, I feel like he's going to spend his career being compared to increments of disappointment, no matter how much progress he makes.

He's the next Lucas Cook.

He's the next Sam Weideman.

He's the next John Butcher.

He's the next Justin Koschitzche.

He's the next Peter Wright.

Hes the next Darcy Fogarty.

He's the next Eric Hipwood.

etc

Until eventually we will be saying 'I mean, yeah, he's good but really he's just the Roughead to Van Rooyen's Franklin'.

🤪

I may sound like a heretic, but IMO Roughead was a bigger team contributor than Buddy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, monoccular said:

I may sound like a heretic, but IMO Roughead was a bigger team contributor than Buddy.

Fair call, his impact on the whole functioning of the forward line was huge.

Like Tom Hawkins but not annoying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So what's AMW situation? Would be great to know what's holding him back from making his debut?

Just looking through his stats the last few weeks and they look mighty impressive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

Poor Jefferson, I feel like he's going to spend his career being compared to increments of disappointment, no matter how much progress he makes.

He's the next Lucas Cook.

He's the next Sam Weideman.

He's the next John Butcher.

He's the next Justin Koschitzche.

He's the next Peter Wright.

Hes the next Darcy Fogarty.

He's the next Eric Hipwood.

etc

Until eventually we will be saying 'I mean, yeah, he's good but really he's just the Roughead to Van Rooyen's Franklin'.

🤪

Actually he is the next Jeffo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

41 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

So what's AMW situation? Would be great to know what's holding him back from making his debut?

Just looking through his stats the last few weeks and they look mighty impressive.

Alice Springs would be good for a debut as sub for AMW.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

54 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Haven’t see todays game but generally his Stats are getting padded by kick ins. 

Kicking and decision making still seem a bit off for an afl half back.

Good run and really strong aerial work for his size tho. Improving nicely 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

No Blake Howes? Apologies if I missed the reason.

Carry over emergency 

• Like 2

Has Mitch White nominated for the mid season draft? If he hasn't he should! Given we sit fourth we are some chance . Our midfield depth is lacking.  OK, not the quickest but he is an accumulator with another 38 disposal game. He is tough and generally a good user. He has played at the level and was more than serviceable in awful teams and he was plagued by injuries. Yes, it's a short term fix but with any injuries or need to rest players he would be my choice. At 28 he still has time left. Leads by example at Casey.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

49 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Has Mitch White nominated for the mid season draft? If he hasn't he should! Given we sit fourth we are some chance . Our midfield depth is lacking.  OK, not the quickest but he is an accumulator with another 38 disposal game. He is tough and generally a good user. He has played at the level and was more than serviceable in awful teams and he was plagued by injuries. Yes, it's a short term fix but with any injuries or need to rest players he would be my choice. At 28 he still has time left. Leads by example at Casey.

I thought he only played one game. Was it more than that?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Haven’t see todays game but generally his Stats are getting padded by kick ins. 

Kicking and decision making still seem a bit off for an afl half back.

Good run and really strong aerial work for his size tho. Improving nicely 

I hadn't realised that kick ins were counted as possessions .... need an asterisk*

• Like 1

I like what AMW also does when he doesn’t have the footy.  Still moves well and reads the play. Not bad for someone with a rugby background.  His tackling is good. I’d like to see him as the sub this week.  Would like to see how he goes.  

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

I hadn't realised that kick ins were counted as possessions .... need an asterisk*

Agree

They are only counted if you leave the square but with the present rules almost every kick involves you leaving the square.

In the old days I used to wonder how Rhyss (?) Shaw had so many possessions until someone on this forum explained the "kick in" stat

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, monoccular said:

surely they should just be disposals, and listed as effective or not.

Edited by sue
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Agree

They are only counted if you leave the square but with the present rules almost every kick involves you leaving the square.

In the old days I used to wonder how Rhyss (?) Shaw had so many possessions until someone on this forum explained the "kick in" stat

that's rhyce 'supercoach superstar' shaw

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Deelectable said:

"More than serviceable" no he was not up to it although he played as a defender back then. 

Probably not a bad idea but can't see clubs drafting 28 year old on ballers.

Maybe if key fwd or a ruckman.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

Carry over emergency 

Was Fullarton carry over as well??

GALLANT by KC from Casey

The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth. 

The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full list from which to select their team and, as a consequence, Sandy fielded a strong team with a solid group of AFL campaigners. The Demons, on the other hand, managed to provide ten AFL players, most of them short on AFL experience and also lacked the VFL experience of recent years. 

Skipper Mitch White was the exception to that rule and he was indeed, magnificent all afternoon in an outstanding leadership performance that produced a game high 38 possessions as well as two goals and ten clearances. He was responsible for Casey’s strong first half showing and then, led the charge at the end with the goal that led his side’s run of five unanswered goals in the middle of the final term that had them so tantalisingly close at 1 point in arrears before the Zebras kicked away with the game’s last two goals.

Earlier, the Demons kicked themselves out of the win with errant kicking for goal that proved fatal to the cause in a half of football that saw several lead changes. The half time score of 6.10.46 to 7.2.46 said it all. With Membrey and Hotton taking control in the third term, the Zebras looked to be on their way to an easy win until the late Casey comeback.

For Melbourne fans, the form of Matthew Jefferson who booted 5.3 and took eight marks  was heartening. His display of forward craft and thirst for the contest were his best in the year and a half in which he has been with the Demons. Ben Brown’s 3.3 after the main break showed that he is by no means a spent force.

Andy Moniz-Wakefield continued with his rich vein of form covering plenty of ground and collecting 17 kicks, 17 handballs and taking six marks. Bailey Laurie (25 disposals), Jack Billings (24) and Koltyn Tholstrup (23) were all busy.

With plenty of young talent being groomed for the future, the club should not expect too many “gallant losses” going forward.

The Casey Demons next outing is next Saturday at Piranha Park against fellow cellar dwellers Coburg Lions.

CASEY DEMONS 4.4.28 6.10.46 8.12.60 14.14.98

SANDRINGHAM 5.0.30 7.2.44 14.4.88 17.9.11

GOALS 

CASEY DEMONS Jefferson 5 B Brown 3 Laurie White 2 Cross Szybkowski

SANDRINGHAM Membrey 6 Hotton 5 Lowe 2 Allison Butler Heath Watson 

BEST

CASEY DEMONS White Moniz-Wakefield Jefferson Laurie K Brown B Brown

SANDRINGHAM Heath Membrey Crouch Campbell Hotton Paton

Statistics 

Jed Adams 8 kicks 2 handballs 10 disposals 6 marks 1 tackle 51 dream team points 
Jack Bell 5 handballs 5 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 6 hitouts 20 dream team points
Jack Billings 13 kicks 11 handballs 24 disposals 4 marks 1 tackle 77 dream team points
Ben Brown 3 goals 3 behinds 9 kicks 3 handballs 12 disposals 9 marks 1 tackle 82 dream team points 
Kynan Brown 10 kicks 6 handballs 16 disposals 4 marks 8 tackles 86 dream team points
Paddy Cross 1 goals 6 kicks 3 handballs 9 disposals 1 marks 5 tackles 55 dream team points

Tyler Edwards 1 behind 11 kicks 8 handballs 19 disposals 5 marks 3 tackles 78 dream team points
Tom Freeman 8 kicks 8 disposals 3 marks 33  dream team points
Max Gregory 4 kicks 6 handballs 10 disposals 3 marks 6 tackles 54 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 5 goals 3 behinds 8 kicks 3 handballs 11 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 82 dream team points
Brayden LaPlanche 10 kicks 3 handballs 13 disposals 6 marks 2 tackles 59 dream team points 
Bailey Laurie 2 goals 1 behind 14 kicks 11 handballs 25 disposals 6 marks 5 tackles 115 dream team points
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 17 kicks 17 handballs 34 disposals 6 marks 3 tackles 115 dream team points 
Harvey Neocleous 1 behind 1 kick 2 handballs 3 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 15 dream team points
Ollie Sestan 2 behinds 9 kicks 3 handballs 12 disposals 6 marks 3 tackles 65 dream team points
Roan Steele 1 behind 13 kicks 6 handballs 19 disposals 4 marks 3 tackles 76 dream team points
Mitch Szybkowski 1 goal 6 kicks 1 handball 7 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 47 dream team points
Koltyn Tholstrup 9 kicks 14 handballs 23 disposals 5 marks 1 tackles 74 dream team points
Ziggy Toledo 1 handball 1 disposals 2 dream team points
Ryan Valentine 5 kicks 4 handballs 9 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 48 dream team points
Will Verrall 1 behind 6 kicks 13 handballs 19 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 14 hitouts 77 dream team points
Mitch White 2 goals 26 kicks 12 handballs 38 disposals 8 marks 5 tackles 158 dream team points
Kai Windsor 4 kicks 5 handballs 9 disposals 4  marks 1 tackle 35 dream team points

• Thanks 1