• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

58 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yze has the Richmond job, i have been told…

He has a fourth interview this Tuesday. Sounds as though it’s merely a formality. This came from his niece. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

On 9/16/2023 at 2:05 PM, Supreme_Demon said:

I think we definitely need to look at new line coaches to help Simon Goodwin.

We may, or may not, be losing Adem Yze to Richmond if he successfully obtains the senior coaching role there. If not, he should transfer from midfield coach to forwardline coach at the Demons.

I think Greg Stafford should stick to being just the ruck coach or be moved on. He is no forwardline coach.

Troy Chaplin has been a great backline coach and will probably stay.

Mark "Choco" Williams stays as head of development. In light of now "choking" in finals, we can probably learn a lot from him from when he was coach of Port Adelaide and overcame hardship and struggle to help win the 2004 AFL Premiership. I also think he has been a fantastic development coach for our younger players.

The big question is, who do we bring in? Who should become our new midfield coach? Or new forwardline coach? Do we also need a specific goal kicking coach?

Should we chase Brett Ratten (who quit North Melbourne) but could come back to the Demons as midfield coach after 20 years? Seeing as he was our midfield coach way back in 2004.

Would Nathan Buckley consider coming back to coaching? Could we entice him to become our midfield coach? Unless he is happy being in the media?

Another option could be getting Stuart Dew the former Gold Coast coach at the club? I know he was our original target before we fortunately chose Simon Goodwin as the apprentice to Paul Roos. Would Stuart Dew like a fresh start at the Demons?

Blake Caracella at Essendon might also be someone with a good "football brain" that we need at the Demons to help our midfield or forwardline.

Justin Leppitsch has also been an excellent backline coach at Collingwood. I would definitely be interested in seeing if he wants a new challenge. However, I think he is focused on Collingwood's finals campaign and wishes to be a senior AFL coach again.

What about getting another old and wise head to help out? Gary Ayres? Rodney Eade? John Worsfold?

Another factor is the expansion of our coaching department. Will we have development coaches assisting our line coaches again? I remember before COVID-19 and the restrictions to coaching departments we had Max Rooke at the Demons. Should we look to get recently retired players to help us? Perhaps get Nathan Jones back at the Demons? What about David Neitz or David Schwarz to help out our forwardline? What about Matthew Lloyd or Wayne Carey to assist our forwards?

Anyway, there's a lot a questions to ponder.

We need to get better just like every other AFL will be looking to get better next season.

Hopefully the entire football department has a thorough review to look at what we did wrong and how we can improve for season 2024 and beyond.

While some of your questions posed were sensible there was a great deal of so so and past history also added without much knowledge what's really out there. indeed only Mark Neeld missed out on a mention from now to 2000 or beyond. 

I agree that Chaplin deserves to stay but even he is part guilty of our lack of drive and dare from our backline which actually sets up scores and aggressive attacks on goal. 

Ehile I don't disagree with Yze as forward coach someone from outside the Club  is a much more sensible option to completely revamp this madly confused and wasteful part of our game. And it's been 2 years at least in the firing line and NO IMPROVEMENT at all. Far too long for Stafford still presiding there snd far too defensive in execution in its plannings.

The ideas of mostly legends of some early 2000's and others last century should be looked at is crazy. We need up to date modern creative thinking brains from the last playing groups of about 3/4 years to chart our next assault in 2024. Brett Ratten has already indicated he wants to change from coaching but I would use either Lyon Schwartz or Neitz ( or all three together) to be asked their opinions on our mid and forward issues as a starting point not as a coach. 

I still think we can improve our mids especially in the connection to forward and centre bounce take away issues ehich are not stellar given the three best players of our generation are all involved. 

Clearly selection is another area of some disconnect. For Goody to say that Schache was there for Maxy for his toe break only is incomprehensible. Josh has played more hours in the ruck snd has performed reasonable forward and backline tasks at both the Lions and Bulldogs not to have him ready about halfway into the third quarter to replace Tommy Mac in addition.   

We missed a trick there just like in 2022 Semi when Petty was only given 10 mins to win the game vs Lions. Too little ( or nothing) too late again!!

Goody has been far more adventurous  this season and needs to continue this pattern. But our FD has to sit down and work out who is now essential and in our plans for 2024 and beyond and also which trade draft and rookie options we can assemble for a full assault over the  next 5 years. Also involved is the very tricky final years for Maxy BBB Tmac. Etc. 

Would  love to be fly in the wall in the "off" season which had never looked so busy. 

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Spit Demon said:

The first thing they should do is try to lure Darren Burgess back, sorely missed in my opinion. Then go after a gun fwd line coach and perhaps a part time goal kicking coach. That would be a good start.

I can recommend a top goal kicking coach!

My good self AND I'll do it FOC 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Shocked 1

I suspect we are all speculating on what role/s and sort of influence each of our coaches has. Without inside knowledge, it's hard to really know who we should keep / let go. That being said, turnover is a good thing, to get new ideas and fresh voices. Our off-field coaching team is completely different from our 2018 finals charge, and it's arguably time for another change. Seems like Yze has gone, so that's the first domino to fall.

As for the other, Choco has always given the feeling he's at a club for a good time, not a long time. He's a dominant figure who has a lot of influence, but may become too much when he's there too long. That appeared to be the away at GWS and Richmond. If he leaves, getting another older generation figurehead to replace him may be a good plan - someone like Ayres.

Cannot blame Yze for putting in everything into the Richmond job, given he was apparently a close and unlucky 2nd twice last year. He even had the Essendon job until old mate Scott decided to apply at the 24th hour. Reading the article in the Herald Sun about him today though, I walked away with the feeling his mind was totally on the Richmond job since late in the season (his first interview was in the bye-before-finals week). If he's notionally our tactical/game-day coach, this isn't a good thing, given where his focus probably was.

Well....as previously reported....it looks like Adem Yze has got the senior coaching role at Richmond. I congratulate him amd wish all the best (except against Melbourne)!

That means we will have vacancies in our coaching department.

It will be quite interesting who we look to get to replace Adem Yze.

Would definitely be open for a "swap" and getting Andrew McQualter at the Demons. Hopefully we can also get Stuart Dew to help us out at the Demons too?

As much as I am sure some people would "loathe" him, I actually think Nathan Buckley would be a fantastic acquisition to the Demons as an assistant coach as well. Whether or not he is interested in doing coaching again is another question!?

Anyway, I am sure it will all play out over the next few weeks.

I just hope the Melbourne Football Club aims to get as many good quality "football people" to assist Simon Goodwin at the Club as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Well....as previously reported....it looks like Adem Yze has got the senior coaching role at Richmond. I congratulate him amd wish all the best (except against Melbourne)!

That means we will have vacancies in our coaching department.

It will be quite interesting who we look to get to replace Adem Yze.

Would definitely be open for a "swap" and getting Andrew McQualter at the Demons. Hopefully we can also get Stuart Dew to help us out at the Demons too?

As much as I am sure some people would "loathe" him, I actually think Nathan Buckley would be a fantastic acquisition to the Demons as an assistant coach as well. Whether or not he is interested in doing coaching again is another question!?

Anyway, I am sure it will all play out over the next few weeks.

I just hope the Melbourne Football Club aims to get as many good quality "football people" to assist Simon Goodwin at the Club as much as possible.

Im all for McQualter. I like his attacking flair as a coach with an average list. Buckley has always been overrated in any football role he has had. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Hate questioning Bambi because we all love Choco Williams but if our three prime mover on-ballers are among the worst field kicks in the comp and we’re kicking 19 goals 39 behinds or whatever ridiculously inaccurate scoring conversion rate we had over the two finals, shouldn’t his role at least be looked at? Kicking skills are in Choco’s remit are they not? 

Edited by BaliDemon
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 9/17/2023 at 2:56 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Yze has the Richmond job, i have been told…

Good get SW.

We now have an oppo coach at a big club with full knowledge of the Goodwin playbook.

We'll need to make a few tweaks to both staff and the style / methods as well as significant improvement to forward craft, followers, and the general ball movement / mid-forward cohesion as has been thrashed to death on here for the last two seasons.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, beelzebub said:

Ask yourselves this question. 

What good is it really changing all the line coaches ( though of itself not a bad move ) if the guy devising " the plan" is the same ? 

Defence is good..  could still use refinement 

Without doubt the forward 'whatever' is dysfunctional at best or simply shambolic.  Needs major work.

The midfield..  we have talent but it's not the clearance machine it ought to be

All that aside if we maintain our current style.. it'll be same same

The thinking of ol' S.S. Simon has to change otherwise changing coaches is just deckchairs...

Let's  hope we get a vastly better output from the F.D . In 24 we're going nowhere

Yes 100%.

More of the same will see more of the same or worse.

Top 4 is not an automatic inclusion every season just because we feel we're in the window.

Look at the Cats this season.

While we don't need radical change to the defensive side i'm hoping Goodwin reviews much of everything else we do from the CBs forward and even the way we transition off HB.

Needs to be open to some fresh ideas and thinking imv and release the shackles.

That includes new blood across the lines that have some freedom to express and tweak things.

Same with the players to a degree.

Would love to see highly regarded 'not long out of the game' forward and mid coaches coming in for a significant overhaul in this area.

Other clubs have caught us up and we need to be quick on our feet to keep up let alone stay ahead of the game.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

I think that everyone in the FD would be rapt that Yze has picked up a senior role at a big club. We need a refresh in our coaching group and this appointment will drive that search for the best available, hopefully 2-4 changes for MFC along with 1/2 dozen changes in the List. Go Dees.!!

• Like 1

With Yze getting the Richmond gig (stoked for him), it means that we’ll need to find a midfield coach as well as a forwards coach.

We should be looking to bring in the best line coaches for both these positions. Our defence is still doing well under Chaplin, but the midfield and forward line is where we were found wanting the past 2 years.

FIX IT NOW.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1