• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRAINING: Sunday 9th September 2023

kev martin

15 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

If we name BBB and TMac I’ll be staying home on Friday night. 

Wind back the clock. 

TMac needs to do more, and will be better for his last run.

With Jacob out, what do you suggest? Go with a medium/small player, like Spargo. (Cannot think of a medium possibility)

Turner, Grundy or BBB, perhaps Tomlinson.

Really hope the Friday game becomes the Fritta show, with a co-starring role by Smith and Kossie.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 5
  • Thinking 1

16 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Wind back the clock. 

With Jacob out, what do you suggest? Go with a medium/ small player, like Spargo.

Really hope the Friday game becomes the Fritta show, with a co-starring role by Smith and Kossie.

I’d wind it back if they could. You can’t play 2 lumbering, immobile, not match fit 31 year olds with a long history of injuries, who’ve barely played all year in a cut throat final. Grundy has to come in and if he doesn’t and they go with Turner I’ll still show but I might look away at times!

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

48 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I really wouldn’t read too much into today’s training session. I’m not saying I think it was just for S&Gs but the fact that it’s an *open session, it’s a short session and the players are signing autographs etc. tells me that maybe it shouldn’t be taken too seriously, by us fans anyways.

* an open session means cameras are there. As is the wont of our Club, outsiders will see only what the Club wants them to see. 😉 

That's spot on.

I believe this session would be optional for those who are recovering from severe knocks, niggles or players like Clarry who've just returned from a long lay off.

This session is more of light run to iron out any cobwebs and or work on a few light drills here and there.

And yes the PR stuff afterwards.

The real stuff hap at Casey and obviously mandatory to make the cut.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, kev martin said:

The Forwards delivering into their clump, where Stafford hangs out and directs.

Kev, firstly thanks for all of your training reports and the detail you provide. Would you mind elaborating on the above “this delivering into a clump” I know it’s an open session and they may not want to give too much away. I hope we have something else up our sleeve as it sounds like more of the same. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kev martin said:

Grundy didn't do any work with the forwards, trained with mids.

Turner, would be it then. That would be exciting for the young bloke, and us if he kicks one or two.

I imagine it’s Grundy because he’s got the experience over Turner. As I said if they play Turner I’ll show up but I may look away at times. TMac was ok for a player in his position. Kick that goal and we’re GF bound. He’ll most likely stay in. But Brown is clearly cooked and rolling him out would be too much for me to handle. I’ll be honest, Thursday cooked me to an extent. I don’t like losing but losing to Collingwood, who we are better than, really hurt. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Wind back the clock. 

With Jacob out, what do you suggest? Go with a medium/small player, like Spargo. (Cannot think of a medium possibility)

Agree I thought T-Mac worked his way into the game and expect to see him firing. Re forwards what if we did something different and add all of Grundy, BBB, Turner, Schache, Thommo and Verral to our 23. Quantity over quantity.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

Would you mind elaborating on the above “this delivering into a clump” I know it’s an open session and they may not want to give too much away. I hope we have something else up our sleeve as it sounds like more of the same. 

Stafford places himself in front of the forwards. I guess he gets a look at what is being delivered and instructs what movement he wants from those in that area. The starting position always seems to be the clump as they pick, block and find space.

The problem seems the delivery though. The player with the ball looks and sees the clump and not the one leading away from the clump.

That is his style, be unlikely to change now, but I don't think it works well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I suspect that they will just try and nurse Ben Brown's knee through training each week so that he'd be good enough to go if T-Mac get's injured again. Even if it's just for a single game, as he'd be our last back-up. I can't envisage a forward set up with them both playing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Stafford places himself in front of the forwards. I guess he gets a look at what is being delivered and instructs what movement he wants from those in that area. The starting position always seems to be the clump as they pick, block and find space.

The problem seems the delivery though. The player with the ball looks and sees the clump and not the one leading away from the clump.

That is his style, be unlikely to change now, but I don't think it works well.

Thanks, I think. 

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Grundy didn't do any work with the forwards, trained with mids.

Turner, would be it then. That would be exciting for the young bloke, and us if he kicks one or two.

Grundy is no chance of coming in and today with the comments with him being grumpy and disinterested is in line with how he played the scratch match 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Grundy is no chance of coming in and today with the comments with him being grumpy and disinterested is in line with how he played the scratch match 

He was also the last to leave the fans, did plenty of signing and talking. My guess is, if he was a possible, he would be much more focused.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

For those saying Grundy doesn’t play, who gives Max a much needed break in the ruck, and what, heaven forbid, would we do if Gawn gets injured during the game?

Max must be somewhat banged up, otherwise would have had some involvement with the squad today, which he didn't.

Your right, probably needs support during the game. TMac can take some time on the ball, I reckon.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, kev martin said:

BBB was in the training squad, and going ok.

Knows the role well, as opposed to Turner. 

Takes a big defender, leaving Fritta and/or Smith freer.

Not saying absolutely, only a possible. 

In theory

Taking the biggest defender is traditionally the argument justifying TMac

BBB has shown that at best he has half a game in him and, in line with the  history of forward entries ,and as recently as   last thursday, the mids don't kick to forwards presenting on a lead....which is Browns natural way of playing

But I accept you were just observing that he looked ok.

Surely Smith ,Langdon  and Grundy in some last gasp combination are more realistic choices ,albeit pretty ordinary.

Max stays behind the ball

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with others that the mood was off this morning. The fans were buzzing for the players to come out, but they all looked fairly down. 

The younger guys were up and about more than the vets.

Need to give big props to Brodie. He stayed behind for ages signing things and taking photos, as well as chatting to some familiar faces in the crowd. He's such a good bloke.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

For those saying Grundy doesn’t play, who gives Max a much needed break in the ruck, and what, heaven forbid, would we do if Gawn gets injured during the game?

Max played one of the all time great games on Thursday night and does this on the back on grinding his opponents into the ground 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Just now, Demons11 said:

Max played one of the all time great games on Thursday night and does this on the back on grinding his opponents into the ground 

He also got to take much needed rests when JVR went into the ruck. 
Say he gets knocked out in the first 10 minutes of Friday night like Gus did. Who goes in and rucks? Kosi?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

This is such a silly reason not to play Grundy. You think his opponents would be less tired playing against both him and Grundy.

Either way we absolutely need Gawn's marking prowess closer to goal, and I'm willing to sacrifice some small amount of ruck dominance from him to achieve this.

• Like 3

As much as the unknown possibility of Turner excited me, I think the right changes would be Grundy and Jordon for JVR and Gus. 

I'd put Turner as the sub, a little in the Smith mould that he could play back, forward or even as a taller intercepting half back. Could bring him on various game states or for a tiring Hibberd if their small-mid forwards aren't doing much. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2