AFLW: Rd 02 vs GWS

poita

Outstanding performance. Powerful last term to pile on the scores. Very clinical

Hore magnificent. She has gone up a level this year i reckon.

Hanks is pure class. Cleanest player in the league.

Sagged a little in the third but otherwise a pretty faultless performance with no passengers

It's going to take a serious team to beat us this year.

Go Dees

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, OhMyDees said:

Back to back looking ominous. Absolutely clinical Dees! 

I think we're witnessing the most dominant Melbourne team in our club's history.

They are looking close to faultless and extremely hungry. 

The last 30 seconds they were still chasing and gang tackling.

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

Bannon, Hanks and Hore. Wow. Bannon looks like she should be playing in a higher league (which doesn't exist!).

But Lily Mithen is the heart-and-soul player. Tiny, tough, resolute, skilful. And has a little bit of angry ant about her. 

• Like 5

Definitely pleased to see the Dees on fire. Reigning premiers getting better in my view. Whole team look like they understand their role.  15 goals and looking hungry for more.  

Special mention though for Kate Hore.

❤️❤️❤️❤️

She’s a star.

Underrated imv previously by others but not anymore.   She’s not just a mid sized half forward goalkicker.  Tonight Kate was exceptional, either winning the footy or providing run and skilful delivery.  
5 goals , 23 disposals , 8 marks , 6 tackles 

wowwwwweeee that’s special !!!!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

That was good for the red and blue soul. Soothing.

The Dees without Paxy and Daisy - once unthinkable, in this game, barely noticeable.

Great team performance with a few standouts but very even contribution. Shout out to the likes of Lampard, Sherriff and Mithen who are often unheralded but contribute so much. Nice to see Chaplin back out there and a run for Wilson. Campbell again some promising signs. L.Pearce dominant and looked more mobile.

I had the microscope on how we responded after losing the way a bit in the third and was very happy. It’s so important to maintain standards regardless of the scoreboard and they did that in ruthless style right til the final siren.

As much as the AFL wanted to equalise the league by spreading top players around, and we’re seeing the fruits of that in other teams, I think these early games by the Dees this season are a great advertisement for what teams can and should become, in terms of cohesion, which is equally as important.

Also how good do the blue shorts look?

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Just home from a very chilly Manuka Oval.  What a win!  I think it’s the most powerful and complete AFLW ‘team’ performance I’ve seen, but of course, account also needs to be taken of the quality of the opposition.
Team highlights for me:   
-  run and carry outstanding;   
-  running to position/support, both forward, middle and back, as good as I’ve seen in the AFLW;
-  ability to handball out of trouble, and to advantage, has no peers that I’ve seen.  It seems to have improved significantly from last year;
-  Kate Hore, perhaps the most complete AFLW game I’ve had the privilege to witness.  Likewise, I thought her leadership (which you can only really appreciate at the ground) was high quality;
-  strong and reliable ‘support players’ on every line. They know their roles, and they play them really, really well, almost all of the time.
Great win!  The quality of the AFLW game is clearly on the rise, but IMO we are the team to beat in 2023.  I can’t wait to play some of the ‘stronger’ AFLW teams to confirm our credentials, and I can only dream of an AFL and AFL Premiership in the same year.

• Like 8

Didn't watch it live today but just watched the replay.

Great team performance.

As others have said, they really are fun to watch.

A couple of things...

I love how Mick moves them around a bit.

He's not afraid to mix it up...at the end of the game he even had Gillard playing deep forward.

...and a host of players moving through centre bounces.

The other thing...I'm looking forward to seeing Aimee Mackin debut, but it must be hard to break in at the moment.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, kev martin said:

Bans has also put on a bit more muscles. Can burst through the players easily.

She seriously is now a fairly powerful athlete in the AFLW and will take her marking to a new level. She now has height pace and some well added muscle. A freaking handful and if she misses the ball will be picked up and goaled by the Hanks Zankers Harris's Hores and McNamaras of our forward world.

Our Senior AFL Forward Coach should watch these girls convert and attack the footy. They are an inspiration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Watching the last two games with my two daughters has been far more enjoyable than watching the men play. The running and free flowing way the team plays is just more fun to watch than the slow and unskillful ball movement we are seeing in the men atm. Funny part is my oldest daughter wants to play for the Dees, my youngest daughter wants to umpire the game and my 5yo son announced yesterday he wants to be the scorer 😂

• Like 5
  • Love 3