• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

There was one passage of play where Cox carefully put his arms around May and Lever and then fell to the ground as the ball passed them and was marked by Mihochek - but the umpires were cool with that...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

If Maynard gets off we should absolutely take up the same practice

Run at the ball carrier with arms stretched upwards and then follow through and take the player out

10 times per game

These kind of smothers happen dozens of time a game. If Maynard gets off it sets a precedent for cleaning up an opponent front on.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

14 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

It's almost as if yea we got the flag in 21. That will do.

Thankfully they did or I'd be in alot darker place right now.
Throwing the toys from the cot in all directions.
Probably good I've got a month off from work which means a month off from Collingwood supporters too.

• Like 1

Finally made it home after a long and sad evening at the MCG watching the Dees. I haven't read this entire thread, but I can only imagine how disappointed we all are. Here is my 2 bobs worth.

The first quarter was inexcusable. A simple lack of hunting the ball. 

From 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter to the end of the game, we were the better team, but we were SO unclean by hand and foot, especially compared to the (I hate to say it) brilliant kicking of the Pies. Daicos, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Hoskin- Elliot and others.

Thank goodness for our back 6. The Pies run and carry through the middle of the ground cut us apart all night, but our backline repelled it time and time again (1st quarter aside when they were asleep)

I don't think we can wait to draft a monster forward, or wait for Jefferson who isn't big enough. We need an aerial beast who has forward craft, contested marking ability, and who can make the play. We also need an elite kick who can deliver inside F50. We also need a different perspective in our forward line. Apart from Fritsch, very few players lead. We kick to stationary targets (and this appears deliberate, an intentional set up)

Those 3 missed goals in the last quarter were vomit-inducing misses when we had so much momentum.

Max Gawn is outstanding. 

Apart from a few flashes here and there, Kozzie was atrocious. Actually, he was a dead set liability at times. Lack of effort and intensity.

Collingwood will not win the flag on that effort. We still can.

Maynard, the faux tough guy, is everything I hate about d**k head footballers.  4 weeks suspension please, but he will probably get off.

Get well Gus.

I hate Collingwood.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

One was a marking spoiling contest and the other was a poorly disguised attempt at a smother (with intent to hurt)

Vastly different curcumstances

No comparison at all in all reality

There was an element of Van Rooyen making the player earn it but all perfectly legal

Maynard's was a thug act which appeals to those with bloodlust in their veins.  That's why he's got a voice

But the public are often easily conned ... I remember a time when 90% of the footy public thought that Essendon had done nothing wrong with regards to taking PED's (protecting their sport)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The game was lost in the first half, their pressure, ability to win the ball and our inability to handle the wet conditions meant we were never a chance.

Our goal kicking was bad, but they missed some sitters early too.

I was wrong about the McDonald call, I have always said Grundy needs to be in as a second ruck (Gawn needs to accept this and make it work) and we were exposed badly in this area last night.

Hibberd in was the right call but we really needed a third tall defender.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

My last comment was the players looked like a team walking out knowing they had no decent forwards and the combination of worry about Collingwood's defensive transition game and worry about who to kick it to in our attack caused us a lot of problems.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

These kind of smothers happen dozens of time a game. If Maynard gets off it sets a precedent for cleaning up an opponent front on.

It certainly does but the league will outlaw the practice if it gets out of hand

Which will make the Maynard incident reportable every time

But why should he get away with it stretching a ruling now if it is going to be outlawed in the future?

Suspend the player now and send a message

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

What??

He's literally gone shoulder first towards the head with no eyes or action towards smothering the ball. Literally zero attempt at smothering the ball.

This whole red and blue bias glasses really are showing out now..

As distinct from black & white bias glasses?

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Just now, Clint Bizkit said:

The game was lost in the first half, their pressure, ability to win the ball and our inability to handle the wet conditions meant we were never a chance.

Our goal kicking was bad, but they missed some sitters early too.

I was wrong about the McDonald call, I have always said Grundy needs to be in as a second ruck (Gawn needs to accept this and make it work) and we were exposed badly in this area last night.

Hibberd in was the right call but we really needed a third tall defender.

Agreed - why not name Tomlinson as a utility - put him down back if required or allowing him time as a chf or forward like he played at GWS? All he has to do is be a solid mark contestor and bring the ball to ground/lock it in.

• Clap 1

26 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

I think you're being deliberately obtuse.

His intention was to smother until the ball had passed at which point he turned his body and drove his shoulder at Number 10.

End of story.

I don't think we can know his intention. But even with the benefit of doubt no suspension gives a clear loophole to allow players to do what the Afl has seemed to vehemently stop this year. It's pretty straightforward and the only real way to protect players from serious damage . I guess will find out. Or will it let him off because it's the cfc in finals and then say we got it wrong when it becomes open season with the smother and knock-out .

8 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Finally made it home after a long and sad evening at the MCG watching the Dees. I haven't read this entire thread, but I can only imagine how disappointed we all are. Here is my 2 bobs worth.

The first quarter was inexcusable. A simple lack of hunting the ball. 

From 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter to the end of the game, we were the better team, but we were SO unclean by hand and foot, especially compared to the (I hate to say it) brilliant kicking of the Pies. Daicos, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Hoskin- Elliot and others.

Thank goodness for our back 6. The Pies run and carry through the middle of the ground cut us apart all night, but our backline repelled it time and time again (1st quarter aside when they were asleep)

I don't think we can wait to draft a monster forward, or wait for Jefferson who isn't big enough. We need an aerial beast who has forward craft, contested marking ability, and who can make the play. We also need an elite kick who can deliver inside F50. We also need a different perspective in our forward line. Apart from Fritsch, very few players lead. We kick to stationary targets (and this appears deliberate, an intentional set up)

Those 3 missed goals in the last quarter were vomit-inducing misses when we had so much momentum.

Max Gawn is outstanding. 

Apart from a few flashes here and there, Kozzie was atrocious. Actually, he was a dead set liability at times. Lack of effort and intensity.

Collingwood will not win the flag on that effort. We still can.

Maynard, the faux tough guy, is everything I hate about d**k head footballers.  4 weeks suspension please, but he will probably get off.

Get well Gus.

I hate Collingwood.

Great  post but by back 6 I hope you don't include Lever and Salem.

12 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

Not a lot of difference between what he did and what Kossie was rubbed out for. 

And if Smith had have been knocked out unconscious, Kossie might have got 4-6 weeks

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Heard a stat from some podcast during the week and the average contested mark stat per game per team is 5 ... Total.
That's not just inside 50.
Argument was put out there that maybe too much stock was put into contested marking forwards.

And we know Goody is all about stats.
All he cares about is that our forwards don't get outmarked.

Edited by Fork 'em

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

Great  post but by back 6 I hope you don't include Lever and Salem.

Deever, I thought Lever had some OK moments in the 1st half when everyone else was asleep, but Salem was... wow... grass watching. If he cannot play his role due to health issues, we can't play him because of what his best looks like. With Rivers, Bowey and Hibbo doing OK, I would consider Tomlinson for Salem if we play Carlton.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Gawn to full forward and Grundy to the ruck.  Turner or Tomlinson in, to free up Lever.  And another mid so Petracca can go forward.  Pace, for preference - maybe Woewodin.  Oliver's steadily getting back to his normal excellence.

With Max clunking a few marks, we'd've won comfortably.  Spook up the arrogant defenders.  And Grundy can do the tap work well enough.  Yes, we'd miss Max saving the day in the backline, but with another tall, we'd hold.  We kept a rampant Collingwood to 60 points, so we can afford to slightly loosen our defensive stocks if that's what it takes to get some bite in the forward line.

I don't think Salem's travelling well.  Not convinced that in the overall we should have Hibberd as an essential, either.  Kosi needs to play with strict instructions of what not to do - stay where you can crumb, and go nuts doing that.  Apart from a run through the middle now and then, just for the pace and the chaos.

At least, what we bring will not be predictable, now.

Edited by robbiefrom13
spelling
  • Like 3

I don't want to talk about the footy last night but about the absolutley vile behaviour of the Collingwood supporters last night.

We sat in N50 in the General Public about 5 rows from the back. There were a seething group of Collingwood supporters about 5 deep behind the rail. In front of them was a young Demon supporting family (Dad and three young kids). What those ferals subjected them to was disgusting. The police directed by the poor MCC attendant attempted to say something but it continued. At half time the Dad stood up and said something back and thankfully it didn't escalate from there when the police walked over again. The poor man could not move anywhere as there no seats to move to. 

At the end of the game with about a minute left two Collingwood supporters stood up in front of us so we couldn't see. I just touched the man on his back and motioned him to sit down, we couldn't see. It was so loud I couldn't say anything. His retort back to me was " you've lost so what do you f.....n care"  with a finger and continued to stand up. 

So the siren goes all the Melbourne supporters trudged out, I get to the top of the stairs and there is a woman (Collingwood supporter) with a beer can standing there pointing her fingers at this 14 year old who was on the verge of tears " did you hear what this f..n c said to me". He was part of the family that had felt the brunt of vile behaviour of the mob behind them. I grabbed him as he had become separated from his family and dragged him away. His Dad came up to me absolutely shaken.

I have woken up this morning not thinking about the actual game but wondering if I have been sheltered sitting in the MCC area. I dont think so. I have never been subjected to or seen this kind of vile behaviour before but it makes me so happy that I am a Melbourne supporter.

I know some on here will say that there are bad supporters in any team but this level was unbelievable.

Thanks for listening🥲

• Like 1
  • Clap 2
  • Angry 4

2 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Deever, I thought Lever had some OK moments in the 1st half when everyone else was asleep, but Salem was... wow... grass watching. If he cannot play his role due to health issues, we can't play him because of what his best looks like. With Rivers, Bowey and Hibbo doing OK, I would consider Tomlinson for Salem if we play Carlton.

Salem played a great GF but my god he's overrated.

• Facepalm 1

Still furious about the loss!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬

I used to begrudgingly admire Maynard's toughness. Not anymore! He is a thug for his dog act on Brayshaw. Both him and Mason Cox are slimeballs and the lowest of the low for intentionally hurting our players.

Collingwood's reputation as a Club full or morons, thugs, criminals, imbeciles, retards, bogans and low-lives continues unabated!

I [censored] HATE COLLINGWOOD!!!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

9 minutes ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

Agreed - why not name Tomlinson as a utility - put him down back if required or allowing him time as a chf or forward like he played at GWS? All he has to do is be a solid mark contestor and bring the ball to ground/lock it in.

He's more mobile than Tmac too

• Like 2

Just now, Maldonboy38 said:

I don't think Tommo will ever get a game. He was fantastic  in KB but it didn't help him. Bowey was great. My issue with Lever was his lack of marking and no effort in tackling. He also butchered it in the first q and got in May's way more than once.

• Like 1