• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

1 minute ago, Binmans PA said:

The rules are jargon haha. Righto mate.

Mate. They're a bunch of criteria made for the most difficult and nuanced game the world has seen. They simply cannot cover every scenario and as we've seen before, they won't. Especially not this incident. 

Sure they'll be used to get proceedings underway, but as I have said and will say again, common sense will prevail and he will be free to play. 

• Vomit 2

1 hour ago, Stiff Arm said:

No, but he could've insisted we trade for a young, quality key forward over the last 5 years.

BBB was always going to be a one year wonder

Such as....

Not like they grow on trees. Would've been nice if Weideman came on but it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

Yeah and every year that someone wins one on the G will just leave some sour after-taste. Especially if it's Collingwood this year.

Brisbane's best wins it all or if we can somehow make it back that far, our best wins as well

Collingwood won fair & square tonight but we saw their weak point again ... we just couldn't capitalise

Which makes the loss even more galling ... if we'd brought our best and lost, you'd be happy to tip your hat

But knowing that we can play so much better is frustrating, to say the least.  Gutted is the best way to describe the loss tonight.  And if I'm gutted, there must be lots of others feeling the same, or worse!

• Like 4

Just now, JimmyGadson said:

Mate. They're a bunch of criteria made for the most difficult and nuanced game the world has seen. They simply cannot cover every scenario and as we've seen before, they won't. Especially not this incident. 

Sure they'll be used to get proceedings underway, but as I have said and will say again, common sense will prevail and he will be free to play. 

Since when have the mro ever used common sense? They make it up as they go along. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

If the AFL are serious about concussions then there must be a penalty. The case could be made that Mr Maynard’s attempt at smothering was unrealistic. The duty of care as a responsibility of each player to not take actions that put other players at considerable risk of injury. It’s one thing to jump vertically to smother a ball and another to take a running jump when the likelihood of successfully executing that intention is low and the probability of causing a collision is high.

• Like 9

Without being brutal, it's totally heart breaking to watch your side not fire a shot AT ALL for 3 quarters in another qualifying final loss. That last Q was more about Collingwood having a lead than Melbourne doing anything special. If anything, the pressure came off and Collingwood were in game saver mode. 

When the pressure is on at the start of games against good team we have been smashed: Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Carlton and now Collingwood x 2, all smashed in the first Q. The only game was against Brisbane 5 weeks ago, then they went on to kick the next 9 goals. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I want one at the G. I sat with awesome Melbourne supporters tonight. Didn’t know any of them, but I loved how they cheered us on. The deserve to see us win it live.

You were lucky. I had the supporters from hell sitting behind me. Half way through the 3rd quarter I couldn’t stand it any longer. I got up and went and sat downstairs and watched the rest of the game in the bar by myself.

• Clap 1
  • Sad 3

I find it unbelievable that anyone is defending Maynard. I cannot recall ever having seen a player attempt a 'smother' in that manner on a defenceless and open player. He left the ground heading straight into him. The reason I haven't seen it before is because it's so obviously a dangerous act. It didn't even look like an attempt to smother as much as just jumping straight into the kicker. No surprise it happened in Q1 of an elimination final with a known thug being the culprit. If he gets off (which he probably will), should we just employ this tactic next week to take out some folks? Appalling.

The Collingwood fans' reaction was just as bad. Cheering on the concussion of a guy who has an extensive history of concussion in an era when we know as much as we do about CTE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 2

Just now, Binmans PA said:

Hope you're doing okay, @jane02

Maybe we'll get a chance to avenge tonight in the GF.  

Thanks for that. I think I really need a hug after that.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, jane02 said:

Thanks for that. I think I really need a hug after that.

Demonland hugs then.

It's pretty hard losing to that mob and even harder to take when we squandered so many gettable opportunities to not win the game comfortably by 2 or 3 goals.

• Like 3

Usually manning the mark with arms outstreched is what a player is required to do (but he can't move) ... as we saw in that still photo

But Maynard is on the move at good pace running straight at Brayshaw ... and Maynard knows that Brayshaw is in the kicking motion and can't protect himself

So in my view, Maynard knows that he is going to slam into an unprotected Brayshaw ... so on contact, he turns his body so that his shoulder hits the head knowing that he won't be hurt himself

A deliberate and calculated act

He took him out

But apparently, he's attempting to smother the kick?

Edited by Macca
  • Like 5
  • Clap 2

25 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

you might want to check Goodwin's presser. He seemed pretty chuffed winning three quarters of territory. Nothing will change in terms of game style. 

I'm afraid you can't bludgeon all opponents to death in every game through mere weight of numbers via repeat entries that are mostly bombed in down the line JR.

Sometimes their defence is just too welll disciplined, too cagey and/or too good for that as we witnessed tonight.

Goodwin needs to train some smarts into the mids, wingers and the running HBs to change lanes and lower their vision.  This can even be through a long lateral HB or a short kick around the arc in order to maintain possession.

Simetimes holding onto the pill by shifting it around the arc or slightly backwards if needed is the best course of action in order to maintain possession and WAIT with PATIENCE for an opening inside 50.

However all that work will only eventually pay dividends if the forwards are working their butts off and that of their opponents in order to create space and movement.

The space can then be utilised by the more crafty and skilled forwards to lead into or double back into etc for the hit up connection or over the top kick etc.

As good as we are behind the ball and around stoppages/contests (not so much in this part tonight though imv, very untidy and fumble fingered) we would surely have to be one of the worst clubs at converting those immense number of inside 50s into scoring opportunities from the high conversion percentage 30 meter zone.

I would happily curb our massive i50 advantage via repeat entries (somewhat) in exchange for a team that is substantially more efficient at connecting more often inside 30 allowing us to convert at a high percentage (in theory).

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Macca said:

Brisbane's best wins it all or if we can somehow make it back that far, our best wins as well

Collingwood won fair & square tonight but we saw their weak point again ... we just couldn't capitalise

Which makes the loss even more galling ... if we'd brought our best and lost, you'd be happy to tip your hat

But knowing that we can play so much better is frustrating, to say the least.  Gutted is the best way to describe the loss tonight.  And if I'm gutted, there must be lots of others feeling the same, or worse!

Here here Another appalling attacking effort that did every thing to ensure we lost the game. 

poor connection

poor forward effort in no isolation and ghastly attempts at passing to a leading pass. 

Also multiple times we crashed into each other and lost the ball. 

Enough poor set goal kicks to ensure we didn't kick enough goals.

Every time we did something good one or two players spoilt our efforts by committing changers.

A game we should have won yet we didn't play well enough and that's probably why we didn't ultimately win.

3 hours ago, adonski said:

Who's primarily responsible for the lack of skills, decision making and IQ that our side has? Goodwin, Taylor or Williams?

Most of our players look like they've never met each other

Stafford needs to be moved on and this is about the third time I have said in this forum.  New forward ideas needed and yes a couple of classy finishers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, RyanD said:

Without being brutal, it's totally heart breaking to watch your side not fire a shot AT ALL for 3 quarters in another qualifying final loss. That last Q was more about Collingwood having a lead than Melbourne doing anything special. If anything, the pressure came off and Collingwood were in game saver mode. 

When the pressure is on at the start of games against good team we have been smashed: Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Carlton and now Collingwood x 2, all smashed in the first Q. The only game was against Brisbane 5 weeks ago, then they went on to kick the next 9 goals. 

I hear ya. These games don't come round often, we've played in 4 this century and split the difference. Wpuld be extremely nice to win and go straight through. Chance not taken.

1 hour ago, BoBo said:

We dominated that game for large portions and should’ve won by 3-4 goals. 

Tonight our forward line consisted of:

Fritsch (with 1 game returning from injury)

TMAC (first game after how many weeks since his last AFL game?)

JVR (who is probably 2 years from beginning to hit consistency)

Just not going to be winning many BIG final games with a forward line in that state when big pack marks are needed especially when we bomb it in repeatedly. 

That isn’t a knock on those blokes at all, but be realistic, if you’re a defensive unit and those 3 (2 of them having JUST returned to AFL level) are the main targets of the opposition, you aren’t going to be sweating the ball coming down there. 

And they didn’t, so we lost. 

Hoskin-Elliott was allowed to stand in the hole and take uncontested marks without getting cleaned up from behind or a knee going into his back.

Will Hoskin f'n Elliott

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Can't fault our mental toughness, heart and desire to compete. It's admirable for sure and says a lot about how far we've come and the kind of culture we've created. Clearly we're respected. 

Ultimately we lost the game in a way that has been a trend for how long now? Too long. Years. 

Oliver is a great example tonight of what too many of our players do. Bomb shallow, high, sometimes long. Just zero composure. That was as close to as the most non-infliential 30 touch game I've seen from someone and he gave away stupid free kicks also. 

Tom McDonald, wow. 

Max Gawn is just too good to believe and almost single handedly kept us alive. A pleasure watching him. 

Brayshaw being subbed out clearly didn't help our cause. But the signs were already there imo. Collingwood were cleaner, tougher and more proactive early and we just couldn't match it. One good quarter is never enough. 

And for those saying Maynard should get weeks, you have no idea. He jumped in the air to smother. That was the football action. And once in the air, could not do a thing to stop his body colliding into Brayshaw's.. Extremely unfortunate for Gus and Melbourne supporters, but if you cannot see it for what it is, you have a serious Melbourne bias and just completely unreasonable. Some of the comments on here are hilariously embarrassing. 

Maynard is scum, but he actually did nothing wrong. 

Let's hope Gus is okay, we can still do some damage although I see some serous holes appearing for us. 

Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle… Old mate posting up a storm straight after a loss. Didn’t see that coming.

🙄

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 58er said:

Here here Another appalling attacking effort that did every thing to ensure we lost the game. 

poor connection

poor forward effort in no isolation and ghastly attempts at passing to a leading pass. 

Also multiple times we crashed into each other and lost the ball. 

Enough poor set goal kicks to ensure we didn't kick enough goals.

Every time we did something good one or two players spoilt our efforts by committing changers.

A game we should have won yet we didn't play well enough and that's probably why we didn't ultimately win.

Chaos ball means a fantastic contested attack on the ball along with fearless football (Goodwin was quoted early on having that as a goal) but we lack finesse, poise, connectivity and composure

However, in 2021 we were the complete outfit (or close enough to it)

Right now, the contrast between our defence & forward line is stark ... one is the best in the league (we again restricted the Pies to 60 points) yet our forward line just doesn't function properly.  And our forward 50 entries are abysmal

Losing Petty & Melksham in an already iffy forward line has been a real body blow.  We've quite literally run out of options as T-Mac just isn't moving well, yet he is our first choice CHF (and that's not ideal) ... and JVR is just a kid

To work our way back into GF contention is quite the task.  It's not impossible but we're going to need a bit of luck going our way

1 hour ago, JimmyGadson said:

The point most people are missing in this is that he was in the AIR. 

He won't get weeks due to the fact he was in the air and had no reasonable means to avoid contact unlike someone who has two feet planted on the ground.. 

The intention was the Smother also, not to bump. And his last action was to brace whilst mid air. 

It's vastly different. 

When you jump in the air you have two choices - brace and smash through your opponent or try and limit the impact on the opponent by deflecting/absorbing some of the force.

No he could not have avoided contact altogether. Yes he could've avoided concussing Brayshaw.

I think he will get off but he shouldn't. The AFL is a joke when it comes to these kinds of things, they look at the outcome they desire and work backwards. Call it the Barry Hall/Trent Cotchin rule.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Your seeing this attempted smother as a full on disguise?

Wow.. ok.

Is it possible that the smother was an unrealistic attempt? - it looked very late and the follow through was completely unnecessary - it looks very accentuated - almost searching for contact. A smother in desperation is usually a dive at the players feet,  not into the players head, which makes this IMO a non football action. It was unorthodox, executed carelessly (or intentionally but we’ll never be able to prove that) so he has to be rubbed out. Double demerit points (for finals) too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1