CASEY: EF vs Footscray

KC from Casey

This week’s VFL Elimination Final match up against the Footscray Bulldogs, who are sitting on a 10-game winning streak, will test out the Casey Demons even after their 101-point confidence booster in yesterday’s Wild Card game against North Melbourne VFL. 

The game will be played this Saturday at Box Hill City Oval from 12 noon.

IMG_4472.thumb.jpeg.d075c56180689d272507384aaa6824ad.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

Wonder if tmac will play? Maybe a half to get some more match fitness

While I'm not really against the idea, did you actually watch his game? I thought he looked really fit and hungry. He may well surprise a few. He started to remind me of Tex Walker, we can only hope.

Edited by dworship
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Blistering said:

Major advantage to the Bulldogs who had a rest at the weekend playing against a team coming off a six-day break. Typical VFL - no consideration for a fair competition.

Not so great for the Casey team, but could help AFL players having a run.

If a Sunday game then a 4 day turn around would be difficult. 

At least now they get the 5 day break, and perhaps with some calculated minutes, our fringe players may get a look at playing in the Possessed game (MFC final branding term). 

TMac, JJ, Schache, Spargo, Grundy, Tomlinson (BBB, Woey, AMW), possible inclusions.

Could they put Fritta or Hibbo in for half a game. Though Fritta looked matched ready against Sydney.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Nice of the Bullies to meet Casey halfway at Box Hill City oval. At least the venue is neutral. Assume Whitten oval needs a deep clean and splash of paint after Mad Monday? Or is it booked for obedience training after failure to follow El Luke’s team rules, game plan etc?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Demonland changed the title to CASEY: EF vs Footscray
52 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Not so great for the Casey team, but could help AFL players having a run.

If a Sunday game then a 4 day turn around would be difficult. 

At least now they get the 5 day break, and perhaps with some calculated minutes, our fringe players may get a look at playing in the Possessed game (MFC final branding term). 

TMac, JJ, Schache, Spargo, Grundy, Tomlinson (BBB, Woey, AMW), possible inclusions.

Could they put Fritta or Hibbo in for half a game. Though Fritta looked matched ready against Sydney.

I can’t see BBB getting selected for this game. He failed a pre game fitness test a fortnight ago and was listed on the injury list as “TBC” which doesn’t inspire confidence in his ability to come up for selection this week. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, redandbluemakepurple said:

Per VFL laws and guidelines, an AFL-listed player is eligible to play for the club's VFL side in finals as long as they have played no less than six VFL games and no more than 12 AFL games.

Not quite right, I believe.

Rule 20(i) provides an exception. Where the AFL team is in finals, listed players can be picked in VFL teams for this bye weekend  if they did not play in the AFL team the previous week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Notwithstanding the provisions of Rule 21 when an AFL Club is still qualified to participate in the AFL Finals Series, all such AFL Club listed players shall be eligible to be selected for a team participating in either the VFL Senior or VFL Reserve grade Finals Series game provided that such player has played at least 1 game in the VFL Senior Grade or missed through injury at least 8 consecutive Home and Away matches of either the AFL or VFL Season.

A little more complex when reading the rules. 

https://websites.mygameday.app/assoc_page.cgi?c=0-118-0-0-0&sID=223956#:~:text=21.6 Notwithstanding the provisions of,such player has played at

I think the Rules you are referring to have been rewritten. The Rule you quote is the 2011 version, there is a 2016 version and there may even be later that I couldn't find.

Of course, any rule can be overridden by an AFL press release at any time , retrospectively if Gil thinks it is a good idea. ( half joking )

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thinking 1

13 minutes ago, Bystander said:

I think the Rules you are referring to have been rewritten. The Rule you quote is the 2011 version, there is a 2016 version and there may even be later that I couldn't find.

Of course, any rule can be overridden by an AFL press release at any time , retrospectively if Gil thinks it is a good idea. ( half joking )

This one?

Though unclear as the bye and beginning of the VFL finals series has changed since 2016

https://websites.mygameday.app/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-118-0-0-0&sID=277333

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kev martin said:

J Smith & JJ have only played 5 VFLgames and are ineligible.  TMac qualifies with 6 and I would give him a run for 3/4 as well as D Turner.

Schache need no longer be played.  He is not much of an asset for Casey and won't push into AFL this year at this late stage, esp. as we have J Smith, D Turner and TMac up our sleeves.

You can look up games played here - https://vfl.aflmstats.com/team/csy/players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, redandbluemakepurple said:

J Smith & JJ have only played 5 VFLgames and are ineligible.  TMac qualifies with 6 and I would give him a run for 3/4 as well as D Turner.

Schache need no longer be played.  He is not much of an asset for Casey and won't push into AFL this year at this late stage, esp. as we have J Smith, D Turner and TMac up our sleeves.

You can look up games played here - https://vfl.aflmstats.com/team/csy/players

There has been a rule, that if AFL team in finals, then if player has had at least one game in VFL, they may be eligible for VFL team.

Can only find old rules from 2011 and 2016. They have different final structures.

VFL qualifications is a rabbit's Warren of words, rules and sub-clauses.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redandbluemakepurple said:

Per VFL laws and guidelines, an AFL-listed player is eligible to play for the club's VFL side in finals as long as they have played no less than six VFL games and no more than 12 AFL games.

So does that make Tmac and Grundy eligible or have they both not played 6 games?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kev martin said:

Assuming he qualified to play, which he doesn’t, I think you would find that considering Fritsch went for scans on his foot today after Sunday’s scare, they would not be risking one of our most important players in a VFL game.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

I am pretty sure the last few posts are wrong.

Rule 20(i) is expressed to be despite the rest of rule 20. So, all players that did not play in the AFL team against Sydney on the weekend are eligible to play for Casey this weekend. They don't have to have played 6 VFL games or even 1 VFL game.

Happy to be corrected if someone can point to rule implemented after 2016.

• Thanks 4
  • Thinking 1

Surely the wild card game is part of the finals series, so (at the very least) anyone who played that game will be eligible to play the remainder of the finals series?

It was always my understanding that normal restrictions re finals eligibility didn't apply whilst the AFL team was still playing.

Perhaps the Bulldogs will send a few players in for some off season surgery to help us out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bystander said:

I am pretty sure the last few posts are wrong.

Rule 20(i) is expressed to be despite the rest of rule 20. So, all players that did not play in the AFL team against Sydney on the weekend are eligible to play for Casey this weekend. They don't have to have played 6 VFL games or even 1 VFL game.

Happy to be corrected if someone can point to rule implemented after 2016.

Agree from my reading of the 2016 rules (2016 being the first year of the pre finals bye)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, M_9 said:

Are all our AFL listed players eligible to play?

13 hours ago, M_9 said:

Are all our AFL listed players eligible to play?

I thought you can play whoever you like as long as your AFL side is in the finals. Also there is probably a minimum amount of VFL listed players that must play. I reckon they play Grundy, TMac etc even for a 1/4 or a 1/2 for match practice with a view of replacing Melks. 

12 hours ago, kev martin said:

There has been a rule, that if AFL team in finals, then if player has had at least one game in VFL, they may be eligible for VFL team.

Can only find old rules from 2011 and 2016. They have different final structures.

VFL qualifications is a rabbit's Warren of words, rules and sub-clauses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Blistering said:

Major advantage to the Bulldogs who had a rest at the weekend playing against a team coming off a six-day break. Typical VFL - no consideration for a fair competition.

It as a bruise free game come on, a 100pt thrashing hardly raised a sweat. Very few would be tired. 

• Like 1