Pick your favourite Demons side of all time

whatwhat say what

Some are dead easy locks - Hardeman, May, Wight, Cordner. Beckwith and McMahen are in the team of the century. Loved Matty Whelan.  Bowey in there has to be taking the mickey. No Brett Lovett is an absolute disgrace. 

I'm not sure who has set it up but it looks amateur-ish, and last minute. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nascent said:

No Brett Lovett?

Whoever put this together is a poor judge who can't spell. No Laurie Fowler, but Jake Bowey? Are they kidding? I like Jake, but he's lucky to get a game in the current side on form, let alone in an all-time one. And no Brett Lovett? Bizarre and insulting. As for the misspelling of Sean Wight - appalling and amateurish.

*Good to see Alan Johnson there though, Fantastic player. Once clearly BOG in a final, from the back pocket. Can't remember that happening too often.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Redlagged said:

Whoever put this together is a poor judge who can't spell. No Laurie Fowler, but Jake Bowey? Are they kidding? I like Jake, but he's lucky to get a game in the current side on form, let alone in an all-time one. And no Brett Lovett? Bizarre and insulting. As for the misspelling of Sean Wight - appalling and amateurish.

*Good to see Alan Johnson there though, Fantastic player. Once clearly BOG in a final, from the back pocket. Can't remember that happening too often.

I just had to double-check, because I'm still bewildered. Fowler won 3 Truscott Medals. Obviously that award - the B&F - is considered worthless. But Nathan Carroll and Lynden Dunn, among others, are there? I think they need to start over.

Just clicked on the link. They appear to have corrected Sean Wight's name. The fact that Danny Hughes isn't even an option in the backline makes the concept a waste of time in my opinion. 

Picking a worst 22 side would be much more of a challenge considering the many spuds that pulled on the red & blue guernsey over our long dry spell. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Just clicked on the link. They appear to have corrected Sean Wight's name. The fact that Danny Hughes isn't even an option in the backline makes the concept a waste of time in my opinion. 

Picking a worst 22 side would be much more of a challenge considering the many spuds that pulled on the red & blue guernsey over our long dry spell. 

It is impossible to get this correct; the Mighty MFC has had some outstanding footballers yet poor teams more often than not. Three current players would possibly make it, yet even these three could well be debated: Gawn, Oliver and Petracca. Swooper and NSmith would vie for the best coach - but even that is too hard to split. Best of luck attempting to make the necessary calls - for me, it's impossible. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

. Swooper and NSmith would vie for the best coach - but even that is too hard to split. Best of luck attempting to make the necessary calls - for me, it's impossible. 

Too hard to split, oh okay.Hmm

Just thought I would give a nice reply for once.

Edited by drysdale demon
spelling
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Swooper and NSmith would vie for the best coach - but even that is too hard to split. Best of luck attempting to make the necessary calls - for me, it's impossible. 

Surely you're joking?  Norm Smith is clearly the best coach - well in the conversation as best ever across Australian football, then Checker Hughes, then Goodwin.  Daniher and Northey are in the next echelon.

• Like 4
  • Vomit 1

4 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Danny Hughes

On Danny,

My recollection of Danny - and I was born in 1979, was a good enough guy, but would get towelled up fairly frequently. But I suppose the team would leak goals like nothing else through that era, until 1987...

Now granted, I had it through the lens of ABC radio in country Vic as a child, and never saw him play a game live at all.

Was he quite a good player? As I have always had him low in my estimations.

Edited by Engorged Onion

17 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Was he quite a good player?

He sure was.  Good enough in fact to win a Melbourne Best & Fairest, make the All Australian team, represent his state (SA) on seven occasions and play in two SANFL Premiership teams.  Danny was also our stand-in Captain when we won the night Grand Final (Panasonic Cup) in 1987 because R. Flower was out injured.

His regular battles with Brian Taylor were a highlight.  They didn't seem too keen on each other!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

49 minutes ago, old55 said:

Surely you're joking?  Norm Smith is clearly the best coach - well in the conversation as best ever across Australian football, then Checker Hughes, then Goodwin.  Daniher and Northey are in the next echelon.

Putting Goodwin there is so delusional that no one should comment. 

So I wont

• Facepalm 2

Best coach - Norm Smith. There can be no argument.

Best defender - any list of choices that does not include Brett Lovett is embarrassing and offensive.

Ingerson, Yeats, Carroll, Dunn, Bowey, Rivers as all time best defenders - what were they thinking (or smoking)?

Please withdraw this ridiculous competition.

• Like 1