• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

2 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

If the goal ump is uncertain but the ARC can't decide either way then why have a review system at all??

The ump should just be honest and say "i didn't have a clear view of the ball/contest to see exactly what happened... it may or may not have been a goal but i need to go to the Arc to determine the result here".

The goal umps are effectively making a call even though they're still unsure.  Almost as if they feel they'll look foolish if they don't call it one way or the other when the truth is sometimes human's just can't make a correct call at all.

What's the use, we'll all be replaced by AI soon.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DEE fence said:

yeah Carlton won, haven't disputed that, not making an excuse but is fair to say they won by a margin so narrow I am not cutting my wrist, personally I think since 2018 we have swapped some manic pressure for touch, and have lost a fraction of our ability to play wet weather football. I thought we were in trouble with the conditions, if that was a dry game I reckon it might have gone a little differently. I look at reasons whey we lost, not the same as excuses, but I didn't see a team that was overwhelmed with pressure, I saw some execution that was off by players who normally do better. And for the record, I think Grundy in the wet was a mistake, after initially being happy for him to be in the side.

Well, we've played a lot worse this season and lost (Bombers, Lions early in the season, Freo etc) but tonight we looked up for the contest but the opposition stifled our game plan

Important aspects like cohesiveness, a connection going forward and directness were real issues tonight and the reasons why we lost

I get it, when you get close to a win we often can point at one thing or another but I will ask you this question ...

Compared to our best, how would you rate our performance tonight?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rolling fog said:

Let’s be real, the goal review technology just isn’t fit for purpose with touched-ball decisions.

It’s got a real grassy knoll feel to it most of the time.

Difference is even grainy 8mm Zapruder film clearly shows Kennedy's head go back and to the left 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Backline and forward line have issues but we aren’t really going to solve either of them.

Have to live with a backline that is mostly good but doesn’t have the personnel (no clear 3rd tall) or elite form to be great.

Have to live with whatever difficult choices the coaches go with up forward. 

The big question mark is do we change up the midfield mix or hope improvement in Clarry is enough to get it done?

The current set up just can’t string together quality kicking and run. Especially on a wet night. Not enough dual sided players or creative players who find space for themselves and find team mates.

The third tall option on a 2nd tall forward oppo (if there is one) who tends to play higher up the ground is available.... Tomo.

Not the go to on bigger bodied forwards who tend to play deeper though.

Smith is not the answer (in defence) and is too easily beaten to the drop or for some reason tends to start too far behind his opponent or ends up in no-mans-land.

Forward only pls.  Unless coming on as the sub and we need him to replace an injured defender as a last resort.

Can't recall any other tallish forwards marking on a lead tonight and going back to slot the goal.  And he was only there for a quarter and a few minutes late in the third yes?

The obvious move tonight in the middle was Kozzy surely.  We looked way too ploddy in the wet with a core group of Viney, Gus & Clarry.

Played very few minutes through there vs some recent matches it seems.  Felt he was just starting to find his mojo here.

It's ok to experiment earlier through the year but Goodwin seems to want to tinker too much imv and also does so after it seems we are onto a good thing.

Too late to do this now anyway.  Should've settled on a base core set up / structure and roles for most players by now.

If a player finds he"s hitting form playing a 70/30 small forward / mid role (not saying this was Kozzy's split either.... just for examples sake)  then FCS just let him comtinue on.

Knowing your role and that of others and how you / they play them over a long period of time, provided they do it well, is what helps turn a good team into a great one.

Edited by Demon Dynasty

2 minutes ago, Kozzie4PM said:

I know we lost but gee I love the way our boys never give up no matter what. Still reckon we'll give the flag a decent shake.

100%.
It aint pretty but they're bringing the heat to the siren.
I can't ask for anymore than that.

Just gotta keep it up.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

If the goal ump is uncertain but the ARC can't decide either way then why have a review system at all??

The ump should just be honest and say "i didn't have a clear view of the ball/contest to see exactly what happened... it may or may not have been a goal but i need to go to the Arc to determine the result here".

The goal umps are effectively making a call even though they're still unsure.  Almost as if they feel they'll look foolish if they don't call it one way or the other when the truth is sometimes humans just can't make a correct call at all.

It beggars belief - the speed of the non-call is also suspect. The indecisive ones always take longer. 

In cases of any uncertainty It should be an automatic goal and overruled as point if sufficient evidence exists. You are in effect deciding critical outcomes with a coin toss. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Macca said:

Well, we've played a lot worse this season and lost (Bombers, Lions early in the season, Freo etc) but tonight we looked up for the contest but the opposition stifled our game plan

Important aspects like cohesiveness, a connection going forward and directness were real issues tonight and the reasons why we lost

I get it, when you get close to a win we often can point at one thing or another but I will ask you this question ...

Compared to our best, how would you rate our performance tonight?

That's a fair question, against our best, I'd have to agree overall 6.5. but that's everything. I thought it was skills that let us down not effort, and I hate it more when we don't have effort. For me the worst game this season was the Bombers loss, because I thought effort was poor. That said, we've only been beaten when teams are playing their very best.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

You can see why we lost in one passage of play.

The Docherty goal came from 4 Dees fumbling the ball and he picks it up and kicks the goal.

We fumbled and mis kicked and mis handballed and dropped marks all night.

Have we won in the wet all year? Essendon, Giants and Blues all wet and slippery conditions. Cats game too?

9 minutes ago, Choof said:

Had a bad feeling about this game for months.

We are just not that good.

Plenty of work to do

Carlton Troll looking for a reaction

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I'm proud of the boys.

When they got out to an 18 point lead I thought we were done. But, we fought back well and you can't question their endeavour and effort.

Carlton were better on the night, but it doesn't change my opinion that I still think we're genuine contenders still.

Sorry Daz, I beg to differ, we aint playin on the last day i dont think!

1 hour ago, Dusty_Hill said:

Am I wrong or is this a free to Max? He’s running back to get to the contest and the Carlton player deliberately blocks him and prevents him from getting there?
If so why can’t 1 of 4 umpires see it?!?

Wouldn't think so as the ball isn't in the vicinity at the time.

44 minutes ago, Jack7 said:

How good is our back 6,with the amount in inside 50's against,most teams would have been 40 points down at quarter time.

3 goals in 3 minutes at the start of the 4th cost us the game and Clarry was on the bench,Cripps set up all 3 goals and TRAC GOT BURNT BY CRIPPS,great move Goodwin,game over!!!

EXACTLY!

4 minutes ago, DEE fence said:

That's a fair question, against our best, I'd have to agree overall 6.5. but that's everything. I thought it was skills that let us down not effort, and I hate it more when we don't have effort. For me the worst game this season was the Bombers loss, because I thought effort was poor. That said, we've only been beaten when teams are playing their very best.  

The effort, endeavour & energy was fine.  We were hard at it.  And that wasn't the issue

But the execution and application was below standard and that's why we were a full 2 points out of 10 short

We played the boundary line way too much, lacked cohesion and the connection forward wasn't good enough ... for a top 4 team

Also, our disposal skills compared to the Blues fell short

Yet we very nearly won the game so there's a lot we can take out of the game

However, if we had have won, do we learn the same lessons? 

The loss can focus the team and the team now knows that we are more likely to finish 4th than any other spot on the ladder

In fact, as long as we beat Hawthorn, we should be able to work our way to a 4th spot finish

There's also a chance we can still finish 2nd but that pathway is a bit tricky

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kozzie4PM said:

This is the silliest post I've seen on this website. 

Not by a long shot.
I'd like to see more sheperding too.
They're all running on for the 1-2 when they could be opening up space for the ball carrier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Exactly.  

Plenty of examples why we lost. Demonland will only choose one instance to whinge about and justify why we lost.

You can also pick a lot of positives out of this game which would say that we're still on the right track. 

Some tinkering still. Get the selections right and readjust our forward line again and we'll be fine.

You are the biggest sook on demonland,  the holiest of sooks. If there was a sook bigger than you, 99.9% of the population would be in shock. I don’t know who [censored] in your breakfast every morning but [censored] me dead. Most annoying person to brace the World Wide Web. 

• Haha 2
  • Clap 1
  • Vomit 1

I must say I was surprised "Razor" Ray Chamberlain made a lot of "non calls" in the match. He usually loves to be the centre of attention! 🤣

In some ways, it is pointless to complain about the umpires. But I am going to do it anyways! Especially because I am extremely angry that we lost to Carlscum! 🤬

The umpires were really terrible with all the blatant free kicks for Melbourne players that were ignored. What's the point of having 4 umpires if they are simply going to ignore ridiculously obvious free kicks?!

Didn’t see game - out of country

Summary - goal umpire error

Umpiring - normal bad

Demons 6.5 /10 

Bit stiff, move on

No high marks from talks in forward line

Max mauled as usual

Disappointing not a disaster

Nobody injured 👍👍

• Like 2