• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NON-MFC: Rd 19 2023

Demonland

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Average defence?

Mate do you watch any of their games? Darcy Moore will most likely be All Australian as will Isaac Quaynor who's one of the best small defenders in the game.

Their midfield with now DeGoey and Siebottom back takes them up a level. They have one of the best midfield talent this generation has ever seen and will most likely win a Brownlow.

You seriously underestimate them as club, it's actually laughable. 

Yeah they have two very good defenders. We have 7. They get split open on the counter because they play very one way attacking footy. It works when it works but it’s very costly when it doesn’t. 
DeGoey has never done a thing in finals. When he does I’ll start to worry. Daicos is a star. But he’s also a kid. A hard tag and he struggles. If you’re relying on him to win a flag, good luck. They went and got Mitchell because they struggle to consistently win the contested ball. Mitchell is a contested ball winning machine but a bog ordinary kick. 

Our midfield is a level above theirs. They don’t have Clarry or Viney or a Max Gawn. Their forwardline is ordinary but it’s still better than ours. But you can’t tell me their defense is better than ours. It simply isn’t. 

The sickening love of Collingwood is driven purely by the narrative in the media. It’s fun to watch a team come back every time and win. But really good sides aren’t constantly behind and having to grind wins. Port kick straight and Pies lose. 
We kick straight and Pies lose by a lot more. 

They are a good side, but luck has played a massive part in their journey this last two years. Last year it ran out in the prelim. This year I hope it runs out when we play them. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Not even the best Daicos on the ground tonight, let alone the best player. Great player but not his best game tonight.

I think I’ll start like this next time “As a 19 year old……”

The kid is a freak!

Oliver was dominant early as well but never this clean and smart. 
This is in no way debatable. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I think I’ll start like this next time “As a 19 year old……”

The kid is a freak!

Oliver was dominant early as well but never this clean and smart. 
This is in no way debatable. 

You just need a hard tag on him and he becomes non impactful. Too skinny to cope with big bodies in the AFL, but not many teams have tried that.

He also played on the wing for the first half of the season.

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Yeah they have two very good defenders. We have 7. They get split open on the counter because they play very one way attacking footy. It works when it works but it’s very costly when it doesn’t. 
DeGoey has never done a thing in finals. When he does I’ll start to worry. Daicos is a star. But he’s also a kid. A hard tag and he struggles. If you’re relying on him to win a flag, good luck. They went and got Mitchell because they struggle to consistently win the contested ball. Mitchell is a contested ball winning machine but a bog ordinary kick. 

The sickening love of Collingwood is driven purely by the narrative in the media. It’s fun to watch a team come back every time and win. But really good sides aren’t constantly behind and having to grind wins. Port kick straight and Pies lose. 
We kick straight and Pies lose by a lot more. 

They are a good side, but luck has played a massive part in their journey this last two years. Last year it ran out in the prelim. This year I hope it runs out when we play them. 

Oh come on Jaded. You're now taking the [censored]. I know you have your red and blue glasses firmly on, but to say they've average players in all fronts of the ground just shows you barely watch their games to actually appreciate how good they are ([censored] pains me to say that)

First up, you do realise they are the number 1 defensive team in the competition right? How can you say they're average in defence when there's a stat that proves this which was showed On the Couch last week.

Maynard, Murphy, Moore, Quaynor, Howe ans Noble are a solid back 6 that's carried them well this year. 

Degoey hasn't done a thing in finals? Had 26 and 2 goals against the cats last year, 24 and 1 goal against the dockers the following week and then got heavily tagged the week after against Sydney.

His grand final in 2018 he had 14 and 3 goals playing predominantly as a forward. Week before in the Richmond game he had he kicked 4.1 and was close to BOG.

They had a hard tag on Daicos tonight lol. Yet still had 23 and kicked a crucial goal in the last quarter. His influence in the last quarter was telling. Teams barely play hard tags now days. Name me one team that will threaten Collingwood who also play a traditional tagger? No one, except tonight.

In fact name a game where a team has put a hard tag on Daicos where's he's struggled throughout the match. I'll wait.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

You just need a hard tag on him and he becomes non impactful. Too skinny to cope with big bodies in the AFL, but not many teams have tried that.

He also played on the wing for the first half of the season.

Name one game an opposition team has put a hard tag on him where's he's had zero impact? 

11 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Collingwood will get all the finals at the G with there supporters behind them. They are 98% in the grand final. 

I just wanted to see them lose tonight. Anytime they lose is a good time 

Collingwood were going to finish top anyway. If Port won the top 2 basically would have been tied up but we are now some mathematical chance. This will be devastating for Port Adelaide and this is their run home. 

R20: Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval
R21: Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium
R22: Greater Western Sydney @ Adelaide Oval
R23: Fremantle @ Optus Stadium
R24: Richmond @ Adelaide Oval 

First things first, Melbourne need to win tomorrow but only a 2 match gap to Port and Melbourne's percentage will be higher than Port's at season end. Thinking long term maybe it would have been better for Geelong to beat Brisbane but Brisbane winning certainly helps our quest for Top 4.

Brisbane's run home:

R20: Gold Coast @ Heritage Bank Stadium
R21: Fremantle @ Optus Stadium
R22: Adelaide @ Gabba
R23: Collingwood @ Marvel Stadium
R24: St Kilda @ Gabba

A bit of percentage for Melbourne  to make up but I would expect them to lose to Collingwood at least and we have games to come against North & Hawthorn. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Oh come on Jaded. You're now taking the [censored]. I know you have your red and blue glasses firmly on, but to say they've average players in all fronts of the ground just shows you barely watch their games to actually appreciate how good they are ([censored] pains me to say that)

First up, you do realise they are the number 1 defensive team in the competition right? How can you say they're average in defence when there's a stat that proves this which was showed On the Couch last week.

Maynard, Murphy, Moore, Quaynor, Howe ans Noble are a solid back 6 that's carried them well this year. 

Degoey hasn't done a thing in finals? Had 26 and 2 goals against the cats last year, 24 and 1 goal against the dockers the following week and then got heavily tagged the week after against Sydney.

His grand final in 2018 he had 14 and 3 goals playing predominantly as a forward. Week before in the Richmond game he had he kicked 4.1 and was close to BOG.

They had a hard tag on Daicos tonight lol. Yet still had 23 and kicked a crucial goal in the last quarter. His influence in the last quarter was telling. Teams barely play hard tags now days. Name me one team that will threaten Collingwood who also play a traditional tagger? No one, except tonight.

In fact name a game where a team has put a hard tag on Daicos where's he's struggled throughout the match. I'll wait.

And yet we beat them, Brisbane beat them and Port lost by two points because they couldn’t convert their chances. 
As I said, good team, but just because the media tells me they’ve won the flag, doesn’t mean they’ve won the flag. 

Are Port not a chance now because Pies beat them by 2 points? Are we not a chance now because we lost to Port by 4 points? Or are the Pies no chance now because they lost to us? 

Any of the top 4 sides can win it. There isn’t one side that stands out so much or cannot be shut down. Control the corridor against the Pies, and don’t let them believe their own hype, and you win. 

By the way, our comeback against Brisbane last week was better than the Pies tonight IMO. Brisbane were far more dominant than Port during the game. Nobody talks about us as being real contenders tho do they? And Pies aren’t missing their best midfielder and their best forward tonight either. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

And yet we beat them, Brisbane beat them and Port lost by two points because they couldn’t convert their chances. 
As I said, good team, but just because the media tells me they’ve won the flag, doesn’t mean they’ve won the flag. 

Are Port not a chance now because Pies beat them by 2 points? Are we not a chance now because we lost to Port by 4 points? Or are the Pies no chance now because they lost to us? 

Any of the top 4 sides can win it. There isn’t one side that stands out so much or cannot be shut down. Control the corridor against the Pies, and don’t let them believe their own hype, and you win. 

Here's my take.

Port and Brisbane have no chance winning it at the G, especially against the pies.

So that leaves us as the only team that'll potentially threaten them come September. 

• Like 4

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Here's my take.

Port and Brisbane have no chance winning it at the G, especially against the pies.

So that leaves us as the only team that'll potentially threaten them come September. 

I agree with Brisbane, unless they play Port at the G. 
But I think you underestimate Port. 
I think because they’ve failed so many times in finals we tend to think that history will repeat itself. They were very good tonight. Very impressive. I think nerves got the best of them, but they should have won that game. 

6 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

By the way, our comeback against Brisbane last week was better than the Pies tonight IMO. Brisbane were far more dominant than Port during the game. Nobody talks about us as being real contenders tho do they? And Pies aren’t missing their best midfielder and their best forward tonight either. 

We're not talked about as serious contenders because we've also dropped games against the likes of Freo, Essendon and GWS. Those games we simply should not have lost to those clubs.

Whilst I don't think it'll happen, we're also still a chance to drop out of top 4. 

There's still some inconsistencies in our game that needs tweaking. Is the Brisbane win the start of hopefully a good momentum shift tor us? I hope so.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We're not talked about as serious contenders because we've also dropped games against the likes of Freo, Essendon and GWS. Those games we simply should not have lost to those clubs.

Whilst I don't think it'll happen, we're also still a chance to drop out of top 4. 

There's still some inconsistencies in our game that needs tweaking. Is the Brisbane win the start of hopefully a good momentum shift tor us? I hope so.

But we dropped some silly games in 2021 as well. We lost to Collingwood who were bottom 4. We lost to GWS at home. We drew with Hawthorn. 
Spending all your energy in the home and away season is fraught with danger. As is spending all your luck. Fighting back to win week after week is not only physically taxing it’s also mentally taxing. How long can you sustain that? 

We saw what happened last year. Started like a house on fire and then the burnt the house down to the ground in finals. Mentally and physically cooked. We have a totally different run home this year and if we can get Clarry and Fritta back and avoid any other injuries, I think we are as good a chance as any other top 4 side. 
We have the midfield and the defensive game to beat Collingwood, Brisbane and Port. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Collingwood will get all the finals at the G with there supporters behind them. They are 98% in the grand final. 

I just wanted to see them lose tonight. Anytime they lose is a good time 

They deserve it as will likely finish on top, though not having to travel last 5 weeks before the finals ..reinforces the uneven compromised afl draw 

• Like 1

Collingwood are a very good team but not unbeatable. If we do meet them in finals they will be a different proposition to KB though. Our win that day was outstanding, but adding  Howe, Sidebottom, McStay and JDG makes them better.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, McQueen said:

He is 19. 

just unbelievable [censored] what he is doing  

Most are aware he’s in his second year and acknowledge he’s a very talented kid and if his current trajectory continues he could quite easily be the best player in the competition in coming years. What I don’t agree with is that he’s the most influential player in the game right now and it’s not up for debate. 

1 minute ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Collingwood are a very good team but not unbeatable. If we do meet them in finals they will be a different proposition to KB though. Our win that day was outstanding, but adding  Howe, Sidebottom, McStay and JDG makes them better.

As does Petty, Bowey and Oliver. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

As does Petty, Bowey and Oliver. 

Yep they make us better too, Pies are clearly the team to beat imo but I’ll always give us a huge chance of knocking them off because our team has a huge self belief also. 
12 out of the last 16 the Pies have won when trailing at 3/4 time, I guess we’re always going hear about what a great last quarter team they are with a record like that. I’m happy for our boys not be talked about as a serious threat. I mean, our average losing margin over the last three seasons is only around 14-15 points. We’re always in games no matter how people want to spin it.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

and if we can get Clarry and Fritta back and avoid any other injuries, I think we are as good a chance as any other top 4 side. 
We have the midfield and the defensive game to beat Collingwood, Brisbane and Port. 

Couple of other things needed too, Clarry, Fritta and Petty have to return and get to top form quickly, forward line sorted out and ruck situation as well.

I agree that our BEST is probably enough to win it.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dees189227 said:

6 goals the pies kicked in that final quarter. Trailed by 17 points at an away ground..

I said at 3/4 time those easy misses would come back to bite port. 

Bit like melbourne missing easy shots a few times this year

28 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Our losses to Freo and GWS are really starting to sting. Winning those two games and a win today would see us in 2nd spot.

And this is what will ultimately cost us come September. The odds are at some stage we will be going interstate to play a knock out final. Collingwood, on present form, would be highly favoured to go straight into a prelim against Port or Brisbane, and one of Port or Brisbane the same for a home prelim. There is your grand final. My heart hopes otherwise but my sensible head tells me I’m dreaming.