POSTGAME: Rd 17 vs St Kilda

Demonland

4 hours ago, von said:

I have found the best way to assess a game is to be there and then watch the replay. The tv seems to tell a limited story on its own 

Yep, which is why I said “unless you watched the broadcast as well”. 

• Like 1

Having watched Fox’s replay I understand some of the negativity post game. Darcy openly barracking for St Kilda during play, and then the half time team talking about what a monumental victory it will be for St Kilda. It felt like we struggled.

The sad reality for most footy fans was that was a VERY Melbourne win. We won by taking a lot of intercept marks in defence, absorbing pressure, and then being calculated moving the ball.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

22 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Neil, I just wrote a post about this. 

I was asking because the early posts in the post game thread are so negative and critical of players. I wanted the negative posters to know that the Saints brought a lot of effort, and we matched it and beat them. I think watching on the TV it’s sometimes difficult to see that effort and intensity, and so I asked the question. Interestingly nobody responded to the question except to take offence that it was even asked. I was asking because I wanted to have a dialogue about what I saw at the ground (which I really liked). I realise now the question wasn’t asked correctly if I was intending to actually get into a realistic conversation.

That was a tough game, and I thought we were well drilled, and worked hard for each other. 👍

Couldn't make this one but I do agree you see much more of the overall effort with spread and defensive pressure at the ground. I think because I'm so used to seeing it that way I thought it was fair to assume that's what was happening when watching on TV. 

They're a tough nut to crack the Saints, yes it would have been disappointing to lost considering they were walking wounded but most sides would be affected more by this than St Kilda. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, layzie said:

Couldn't make this one but I do agree you see much more of the overall effort with spread and defensive pressure at the ground. I think because I'm so used to seeing it that way I thought it was fair to assume that's what was happening when watching on TV. 

They're a tough nut to crack the Saints, yes it would have been disappointing to lost considering they were walking wounded but most sides would be affected more by this than St Kilda. 

I thought the Saints were really honest on Saturday night. Ross has got their effort and accountability working, that’s for sure, and I reckon that’s been a problem for them since he left.

The big thing I noticed on Saturday night was our defensive positioning was elite. May (obviously), Petty, McVee and Bowey were able to get intercept marks while still guarding an opponent.

It was a very workmanlike performance from our midfield to maintain enough pressure on the ball carrier to create inefficient kicks - especially considering no Oliver, and Tracc 80% forward.

St Kilda kept trying to maintain a pure balance all over the field, so they had a player accountable for each of our defenders. They clearly thought that if Tracc was forward they could get us for talent and speed at the contest, but our guys worked at it and broke even.

It was a really good battle. I hope we can take some confidence out of it, as that’s what we need more than anything right now.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

20 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I don’t reckon Goodwin got enough credit for the win last night.

He backed in Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow and Jordan, and kept Tracc forward for 80% of that game. With Oliver out that’s our 2 best midfielders down.

Simon held his nerve, and in the end Tracc was the difference in the game. 

Good call. 

Similarly, match selections caused a lot of surprise...and some hysteria. In the end, the sections worked out well. Melksham's forward craft was very good and much needed in Fritsch's absence. JJ and Spargo showed their form against Collingwood and Geelong was an aberration and were back to their usual standard. Woewodin's debut was promising. Most significantly, selecting an extra midfielder allowed Petracca to play forward, which was the match winning move. 

Sure, it's unlikely a premiership winning configuration but it achieved the objective of getting the 4 points in a critical game. 

• Like 7

On 7/9/2023 at 8:41 AM, Bystander said:

Dropping back to Casey isn't going to be available in some upcoming weeks. There is a bye next week and again on the weekend of 6 August. Casey will finish, I expect, top 6, so in the first week of finals there is no game as 7,8,9 and 10 battle for 2 last spots. If they finish top 4, likely, and win there is no game the following week.

I think I have replied to this elsewhere - VFL is NOT an adequate set up to develop and to rehabilitate players. Bring it back to Victoria and the others can have their local leagues. 

7 hours ago, Roost it far said:

I wonder how the game plays out with no St.Kilda injuries 

I guess nobody will be ver know. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Having watched Fox’s replay I understand some of the negativity post game. Darcy openly barracking for St Kilda during play, and then the half time team talking about what a monumental victory it will be for St Kilda. It felt like we struggled.

The sad reality for most footy fans was that was a VERY Melbourne win. We won by taking a lot of intercept marks in defence, absorbing pressure, and then being calculated moving the ball.

This!  I was at the ground to see the game live.  I flicked on the replay today and chose not to mute the sound so I could make my own opinion of the commentary.  Well, it was like watching a completely different game!  Darcy found every possible way to make that game all about St Kilda.  It was almost like our team wasn’t even there! It was a tough, system like win.   I think you had to be at the ground, or watch without commentary, to appreciate it. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 2

6 minutes ago, Deebymistake said:

This!  I was at the ground to see the game live.  I flicked on the replay today and chose not to mute the sound so I could make my own opinion of the commentary.  Well, it was like watching a completely different game!  Darcy found every possible way to make that game all about St Kilda.  It was almost like our team wasn’t even there! It was a tough, system like win.   I think you had to be at the ground, or watch without commentary, to appreciate it. 

Darcy is a jerk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

On 7/9/2023 at 10:55 AM, The heart beats true said:

I hope your mum is doing well. I usually like a lot of your stuff on here so I’ll clarify what I was getting at.

I specifically asked those being hyper critical if they went to the game. I was trying to ascertain if people who said we were ‘putrid’, or that it ‘felt like a loss’ actually were at the ground. None of them responded. 

I was trying to find out why people saw the game the way they did. Not one person responded or started a conversation that justified their criticism. I saw us work really hard, so I wanted to know how that wasn’t coming across on TV.

I was being a tad sarcastic, but also trying to highlight that it seems perfectly ok to make wildly inappropriate comments about players, coaches and game plans, but somehow it’s not ok to ask where you watched the game from in order to understand what others saw that I didn’t?

Anyway, I hope that gives some context to my point. 👍

I was at the ground. lower level, 5 from the front and I thought we played an average game. Was frustrated with some of the ball movement and inability to put st Kilda away. Left the ground critical of our win.

came home and watched the replay of the first half and was surprisingly impressed with our performance. In addition I was also impressed with st Kildas attack on they ball and pressure. Felt like a real full finals game.

My judgment and summary of the game is always skewed at the ground. It’s difficult to see details of play sitting a few hundred metres from the ball. I’ll try avoid giving a thorough summary until I’ve watched the replay. 

This might explain why post game reviews seem critical and tend to soften a few days post match. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 10:20 AM, A F said:

Grundy was not poor. 7 clearances and his follow up work at ground level for a ruckman is elite.

But I'll leave it there. Your mind is made up.

“Grundy OMITTED”.

Bitter pill to swallow I would imagine 😆

29 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

“Grundy OMITTED”.

Bitter pill to swallow I would imagine 😆

Not at all, Abysmal. They're saying he needs to develop his forward craft. That takes nothing away from his clearance game as a ruck last week. And they seem to think Gawn's ruck craft is either better or they can't drop them both to work on their forward craft.

2 hours ago, A F said:

Not at all, Abysmal. They're saying he needs to develop his forward craft. That takes nothing away from his clearance game as a ruck last week. And they seem to think Gawn's ruck craft is either better or they can't drop them both to work on their forward craft.

You can try to Spin it what ever way you like, the fact is , if his form was acceptable last week he wouldn’t have been OMITTED this week.

11 hours ago, Abyssal said:

You can try to Spin it what ever way you like, the fact is , if his form was acceptable last week he wouldn’t have been OMITTED this week.

Seems you're right on this occasion. Like @A F I didn't think he was too bad ruck wise but happy to bring JVR back in for forward balance. 

Some were saying he looked cooked at the end of the game, not sure about that but either way hopefully a rest does him good. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 10:43 PM, demon3165 said:

This is called a forum, people are allowed to express their opinion whether you like their views or not, but if you cannot see the deficiencies of this team since 21 well just keep following the rainbow then..

Just now, Deestar9 said:
On 7/8/2023 at 10:43 PM, demon3165 said:

This is called a forum, people are allowed to express their opinion whether you like their views or not, but if you cannot see the deficiencies of this team since 21 well just keep following the rainbow then..

True & I was expressing my opinion . BTW very happy following the rainbow🌈