The Fixture

Demonsone

52 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

Does that number include the two games scheduled for the Cattery but abandoned due to Covid and  grandstand constuction issues some years back.

Both should be included in the total as the intent was there from the AFL. Its either 26 or worse 28.

We'll be going there again next year because we dont know how to lobby.

In 2017 Geelong played a few early season home games at Marvel. We were lucky enough to be one of those away teams that avoided the Cattery.

In the original 2020 fixture we were scheduled a late season Saturday twilight game down there. In the revised COVID fixture it got transferred to the MCG as a home game for us.

In 2021 we were fixtured at GMHBA before the season started and ended up playing there.

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Which I don’t have a problem with. I don’t like the travel for the players, and the fact that it’s one less game in Melbourne - where we are based, and need to continue to evolve our games supporter base.

Let's forget the "travel for the players" as being an issue for two reasons. Firstly, every club outside Victoria travels more than any Victorian club having to travel almost every second week. Secondly, what did most players do over the bye? They got on a plane and travelled to the Gold Coast. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I would much rather play a home game at Marvel V's GWS (than Alice) in front of our crowd, where the majority of the supporter base can attend after being essentially locked out of GMHBA if you didn't book a ticket quick enough.

So that's 2 weeks in a row where the the MFC faithful won't be attending, in addition to the round 4/5 fortnight earlier in the year.  

I can bet your bottom dollar the players would much rather play this Sunday's game at Marvel rather than hopping on yet another flight where out interstate record is below average this year (we even treated last week's Geelong game as interstate game and look how that turned ou) From a recovery perspective the players would also rather play in VIC as they'll need to back up a 6 day break against St Kilda on a fast track. We lost to the Dogs last year (at Marvel) off a 6 day break from Alice.

Let's punt the Alice game and move our 11th home game to Marvel when ever this current contract expires.

Yes, supporters could attend, but history tells you they generally wouldn't attend a Marvel game. 

From a purely football perspective I'd prefer we didn't play in Alice Springs but the money we make from selling the game has to be taken into account in the decision-making. That money helps us stay at or above par given the soft cap crunch. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, RedFox said:

The inequality of this drives me mad. Has to be one of the only professional leagues that shafts certain teams and gives a free ride to others with scheduling. Not cool AFL

FB_IMG_1689117428995.jpg

The Brisbane Lions have had it worse than us if you take into account that the total number of games at the cattery as Fitzroy, Bears and Brisbane Lions is 28. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, RedFox said:

The inequality of this drives me mad. Has to be one of the only professional leagues that shafts certain teams and gives a free ride to others with scheduling. Not cool AFL

FB_IMG_1689117428995.jpg

I still believe this issue is an overrated concern. You can splice and dice the numbers any way you want, but the five teams that have played the most games there have won 4 Permierships this century while the bottom five have won just the one between them.  

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I still believe this issue is an overrated concern. You can splice and dice the numbers any way you want, but the five teams that have played the most games there have won 4 Permierships this century while the bottom five have won just the one between them.  

It's the principle of the matter. Why should the likes of Collingwood never have to travel to the hardest place in football to win, when we seem to have to every season? You think Manchester United want to travel to Luton Town? Of course they don't but they don't have a choice. 

• Like 1

With the KP capacity being 40k from Round 1 next year ... now ... is the time to be lobbying.

The added question is why Geelong may still play 3 rounds at the MCG

It was marketed as supporting their Melbourne base but why not make 2 or even 3 at Docklands

The 3 perennial highway travelling clubs would have the support of the interstate clubs (9 votes) to introduce a random element to which teams play at Geelong

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

True wrt premierships, but the potential impact is large.  To greater and lesser degrees, that probable loss vs potential win could be the dfifference in:

• A coach getting sacked
  • A player deciding to leave 
  • A top 8 finish (and the related financial / media windfall)
  • A board spill

Edge cases perhaps, but it would be nice if we moved closer to a real draw rather than a fixture.

23 minutes ago, Trisul said:

True wrt premierships, but the potential impact is large.  To greater and lesser degrees, that probable loss vs potential win could be the dfifference in:

• A coach getting sacked
  • A player deciding to leave 
  • A top 8 finish (and the related financial / media windfall)
  • A board spill

Edge cases perhaps, but it would be nice if we moved closer to a real draw rather than a fixture.

It would be nice to think that football clubs are more sophisticated in their decision making about a coach's future than a win or loss at one particular ground. I fear, though, that you are probably right that it might hasten a decision one way or the other.

• Like 1

Geelong should play 1 home game year at the MCG. 10 at Geelong with their new capacity of 40K.

The alternate year it's their turn to host Hawthorn on Easter Monday then that's their one home game at the MCG. If that means Collingwood have to go down the highway then so be it.

The other year, I'm happy for Geelong to host a Richmond or Collingwood at the G.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roy11 said:

The Cats have played 186 games at home since Collingwood last played there in 1999, unreal aha. 

did you have to mention 186?  😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Don't your numbers include the many years when each team played each other team twice, one in Geelong and one at home?  In which case it weakens your argument.

6 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Counting Geelong, don’t you mean the four teams?

But counting Geelong that’s eight premierships. So, the five include Adelaide and Freo neither of whom have won a premiership this century. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar

Is there a way I can find out what the ticket allocation will be at KP for away teams once the stadium is completed?

Currently the allocation is a joke. I tried to buy tickets for 3 of us at the last game and literally 1 minute after tickets sales open they only had single seats left. I can’t help but feel like that’s not a coincidence.

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

With the KP capacity being 40k from Round 1 next year ... now ... is the time to be lobbying.

The added question is why Geelong may still play 3 rounds at the MCG

It was marketed as supporting their Melbourne base but why not make 2 or even 3 at Docklands

The 3 perennial highway travelling clubs would have the support of the interstate clubs (9 votes) to introduce a random element to which teams play at Geelong

There hasn’t at least for 40 years anything random about the corrupt AFL FIXture

3 hours ago, sue said:

Don't your numbers include the many years when each team played each other team twice, one in Geelong and one at home?  In which case it weakens your argument.

How many years in AFL history have every team played each other twice?  Serious question. 

15 hours ago, sue said:

12 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Counting Geelong, don’t you mean the four teams?

But counting Geelong that’s eight premierships. So, the five include Adelaide and Freo neither of whom have won a premiership this century. 

Apologies. I wasn't expecting anyone to take me so seriously. That's why I referred to the numbers being able to be diced and spliced every which way. I was just enjoying seeing teams like Carlton and Essendon being premiership-less this century. (I'm surprised no-one picked up on the fact that I'd selectively limited the premierships to having been won this millennium when the list itself went back a further 10 years). 

• Haha 1