• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 16 vs GWS

Demonland

9 hours ago, CHF said:

Brown in for Smith

Bowey in for Hibberd

Laurie in for Chandler

Jordon in for Spargo

and

Melksham in as sub

don’t mind those changes at all

1 hour ago, buck_nekkid said:

Last year,as I recall, Paddy O’Dangerfield was injured, then kept out of the competition for a few weeks doing a mini preseason to get in him in outstanding form for the later rounds.  This seems to be where Clarry is headed - hitting fitness and speed targets (assume KMs as well) to then come back in Cherry Ripe.  If it was round 20, I reckon he would be coming back in at 80% and play into the finals.  We are doing OK (I think top 4 isn’t too bad, is it?) so knowing we can build Oliver into his very best form and fitness is really a luxury.  Her has no chance at any individual honours being out for so long, so what is a few extra weeks to him???

Hopefully they might be able to give Gawn, Trac and May a few weeks to do similar at the back end of the season. Having those 4 (incl. Clarry) cherry ripe for finals would make a massive difference to our flag chances. If we lost 2 or 3 more games in season but were better positioned for finals than last year then all the blow ups on here would be worth it!!!

in fact I'd be trying to get those guys a week or 2 off before the Hawks game in round 23, have them all back in rounds 23 & 24, then the bye before finals and hopefully we're fit and firing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Out - fumbly players

In - sure footed confident ball grabbers as sticky handed as a burro on the side of a Bolivian mountain boulevard !

Who in the VFL list could provide those skills? Lawrey, Woewodin?

Team we had against the pies worked well, why on earth would you mess with something that worked well against the best team in the comp??  Who cares who's ready, do not mess with that back line when it worked so well!

(still get rid of guys like Jordan and Spargo, they need a spell, get Bowey anywhere he's a great ball user!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhino88 said:

I think Neal-Bullen has to go. Fumbles every time he goes near the ball, including a crucial fumble in the last quarter. Bring in an extra tall. The conditions in Alice will be great.

He would be my First out has cost us several games with lack of Skill and Concentration needs to Find Form at VFL

MY OTHER OUTS ARE Spargo  replace with Bowie Neil Bullen replace with Angus Brayshaw as Forward Defender Smith as Sub  and Baille  Laurie all Elite with Foot kicking Skills Max to Full Forward

The weather at this stage is trending nicely for Sunday with a morning shower and an ideal temperature of 12 degrees compared to the usual mid 20s.

Bring in Ben Brown. Our forward line is just getting plain silly now and we need a professional forward that can be trusted with the set shot.

Trac has fallen off the accuracy wagon when he makes an appearance down there.

JVR puts in nice cameos but should not be our number 1 key fwd.

Gawn doesn't have an ounce of forward craft in him despite his height.

Smith is not the answer as the number 2 KF, although 2 goals in the wet was commendable last week before Stewart got on top of him.

Unless he's genuinely not fit enough for AFL footy, BBB should be a fixture in the side for the remainder of the year.

• Clap 1

13 minutes ago, Ferghus31 said:

He would be my First out has cost us several games with lack of Skill and Concentration needs to Find Form at VFL

MY OTHER OUTS ARE Spargo  replace with Bowie Neil Bullen replace with Angus Brayshaw as Forward Defender Smith as Sub  and Baille  Laurie all Elite with Foot kicking Skills Max to Full Forward

As I see it Alex Neal-Bullen is not playing well and may even be a momentum crusher. I would replace ANB with Harmes. Harmes can play a role, is a strong mark and is a good kick for goal.

BBB is no longer able to play at AFL level especially at crunch time of the season.

I see Chandler as an important link, he is just not kicking to goal as he should although he has shown that he can be accurate early in the season.

2 hours ago, Rhino88 said:

I think Neal-Bullen has to go. Fumbles every time he goes near the ball, including a crucial fumble in the last quarter. Bring in an extra tall. The conditions in Alice will be great.

They'll never drop him.

• Like 1

Just on ANB...

How did we experience the brilliant knock on - to Pickett in the 3rd when he kicked a goal, against Geelong - did we want ANB dropped then?

I know as a species we have a evolutionary preference for looking at the negative, to fix problems, but if you are a supporter expecting games and players to be error free throughout a sport where a) you are physiologically depleted, b) cognitively depleted and c) coming up against opposition who desire to win as much as you do,  and d) you yourself get upset at errors that 'look' as though they come at crucial moments, and then disregard errors (from both teams) that occur in Q1, Q2 and Q3, then I guess ANB always deserves to be dropped - and you're right @dazzledavey36 he won't be unless his form warrants it.

Thank gawwwd the football department are open to players making errors, without them being crucified like Jesus.

2020 was often refrained with..."You can't win a premiership with players like ANB'

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

50 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Just on ANB...

How did we experience the brilliant knock on - to Pickett in the 3rd when he kicked a goal, against Geelong - did we want ANB dropped then?

I know as a species we have a evolutionary preference for looking at the negative, to fix problems, but if you are a supporter expecting games and players to be error free throughout a sport where a) you are physiologically depleted, b) cognitively depleted and c) coming up against opposition who desire to win as much as you do,  and d) you yourself get upset at errors that 'look' as though they come at crucial moments, and then disregard errors (from both teams) that occur in Q1, Q2 and Q3, then I guess ANB always deserves to be dropped - and you're right @dazzledavey36 he won't be unless his form warrants it.

Thank gawwwd the football department are open to players making errors, without them being crucified like Jesus.

2020 was often refrained with..."You can't win a premiership with players like ANB'

I am not knocking ANB just saying he appears to be out of form. As you say a "knock on" here and a " courageous mark" there is great but even a stopped clock will be of benefit twice day. It is the other 23 hours and 58 minutes that cause problems. ANB needs to be of benefit for longer than two minutes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

It is the other 23 hours and 58 minutes that cause problems. ANB needs to be of benefit for longer than two minutes.

So you're not knocking ANB? 🤷‍♂️😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Jordon played against Geelong and did nothing.  Spargo was the sub for that game (and did nothing).

In the last four games we have got exactly one goal out of Spargo and zero goals,out of Chandler. Not an acceptable return for a couple of small forwards. 

Jordon can at least give us some time in the middle. 

• Thinking 1

The OP was suggesting we replace Spargo with Jordon.

I was pointing out that that's not possible as Jordon was already in the 22 and Spargo was sub v Geelong.

In other words, that selection move had already been made.

FWIW,  I'd be very surprised if Spargo was in the 23 this week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CHF said:

In the last four games we have got exactly one goal out of Spargo and zero goals,out of Chandler. Not an acceptable return for a couple of small forwards. 

Jordon can at least give us some time in the middle. 

They need to hit the scoreboard, no doubt, but the last two weeks, we're +24 for inside 50 tackles, so they are doing brilliant work defending and maintaining territory for us.

JJs problem is with the addition of Hunter, JJ can no longer fill in on a wing, which means when he's not playing midfield, he's basically on the bench, because he's not great at half forward.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

They need to hit the scoreboard, no doubt, but the last two weeks, we're +24 for inside 50 tackles, so they are doing brilliant work defending and maintaining territory for us.

JJs problem is with the addition of Hunter, JJ can no longer fill in on a wing, which means when he's not playing midfield, he's basically on the bench, because he's not great at half forward.

OK. As far as tackles go, Chandler has done ok in the last 4 games with 17 tackles overall but Spargo has only 7 tackles in the last 4 games. 

The combined output with goals and tackles with these two does not, to my mind, justify their inclusion in the team until they improve their form.

Also note that between them they have had a total of 2 goal assists in the same period. Both to Spargo.

In those last 4 games, 2 losses and 2 wins, we have kicked a total of 34 goals and 58 behinds. Chandler and Spargo have been responsible for 1 goal 10 behinds of that total.

Yeah. Sure...lets go into the next game with exactly the same setup in the forward line and hope that we get a different result.

These guys are out of form and we need to try something else. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

The weather apps suggest 11C but dry. Wet morning perhaps.i

Tomlinson back to help Lever and May,   Hibberd is out Bowey back in ?

personally I like Smith up forward rather than Petty but I am like Sgt Schultz.

I think they will use Harnes or Melksham as the sub,

Kossy will play brilliantly  fritta  Chandler AnB need to play 1 goal better each.

and can we take a deep breath and kick straight on set shots.

GWS INJURY LIST

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN

Brent Daniels Hamstring 1-2 weeks

Phil Davis Calf Test

Jason Gillbee Concussion Test

Cooper Hamilton Foot TBC

Darcy Jones Knee Season

Adam Kennedy Knee Season

Braydon Preuss Back TBC

Lachie Whitfield Suspension Round 17

Updated: June 27, 2023

Early prognosis

The Giants don't expect Daniels to be fit just yet, but Nick Haynes (ankle) and Jesse Hogan(calf) have recovered over the bye and should play. Davis and Gillbee are also likely to return, but expect that to be at VFL level. Whitfield is suspended. – Riley Beveridge

• Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, CHF said:

OK. As far as tackles go, Chandler has done ok in the last 4 games with 17 tackles overall but Spargo has only 7 tackles in the last 4 games. 

The combined output with goals and tackles with these two does not, to my mind, justify their inclusion in the team until they improve their form.

Also note that between them they have had a total of 2 goal assists in the same period. Both to Spargo.

In those last 4 games, 2 losses and 2 wins, we have kicked a total of 34 goals and 58 behinds. Chandler and Spargo have been responsible for 1 goal 10 behinds of that total.

Yeah. Sure...lets go into the next game with exactly the same setup in the forward line and hope that we get a different result.

These guys are out of form and we need to try something else. 

Sorry, I was advocating for Chandler. Whilst he's not hitting the scoreboard and it's hurting us, he's bringing enough good defensive work to keep his spot.

Charlie is not contributing enough however. And his relegation to sub is evidence of this.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, A F said:

Sorry, I was advocating for Chandler. Whilst he's not hitting the scoreboard and it's hurting us, he's bringing enough good defensive work to keep his spot.

Charlie is not contributing enough however. And his relegation to sub is evidence of this.

At least we agree on Spargo... on Chandler we can agree to disagree. I just do not think he has done enough over the last 4 weeks to justify selection this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1