• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

My 3 word player analysis V Collingwood

joeboy

11 hours ago, BLWNBA said:

He's close to one of the most overrated players in the league. He does the impossible once every 10 games and somehow this results in this totally mythical perception of him. He's done nothing to suggest he was worthy of being a first round draft pick. 

You can pick up a player that has his output with shrewd drafting in the rookie draft. 

He's tracking better than Eddie Betts was at the same point in his career. Small falls are in and out. Give the kid a break.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I thought this was hard on Trac.

The effort was there from Trac as it always is but his kicking was very poor. Disposal efficiency of 50% is not what he would consider acceptable - mind you Pickett was 33% - he does need to lift I'm still surprised they subbed Spargo before him

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Sydee said:

The effort was there from Trac as it always is but his kicking was very poor. Disposal efficiency of 50% is not what he would consider acceptable - mind you Pickett was 33% - he does need to lift I'm still surprised they subbed Spargo before him

I thought Petracca was playing more of the Oliver role; that is, the first-possession extractor. That role is always going to lead to lower efficiency than the outside distribution role he usually plays. In fact, I gave Petracca votes because of the job he did.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, BLWNBA said:

He's close to one of the most overrated players in the league. He does the impossible once every 10 games and somehow this results in this totally mythical perception of him. He's done nothing to suggest he was worthy of being a first round draft pick. 

You can pick up a player that has his output with shrewd drafting in the rookie draft. 

How many small forwards are kicking 40 goals a year in the AFL? I would happily pick up one of these easily available rookies, just let us know who they are and we'll go get them.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BLWNBA said:

Pickett is struggling atm there is no doubt about that - he is still however doing what he is asked to do and that is pressure the opposition in our F50 and he is still on track to potentially get 40 plus goals this season.

I'm confident he will come good and start impacting more on the scoreboard as the season rolls on. Suggesting he is one of the most overrated players in the league is way OTT. 40 plus goals in 2021, 2022, and could still get there this year is extremely good from a small forward.

Small forwards that you can compare 

Cody Weightman (never kicked 40 plus goals in a season)

Izak Rankine (never kicked 40 plus goals in a season)

Jamie Elliott (never kicked 40 plus goals in a season)

Shai Bolton (he's done it once)

Jack Higgins (never kicked 40 plus goals in a season)

Tom Papley (he's done it once)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

I don’t think that comparing him to Spargo is equitable, based on their respective roles

He’s an ok player - not quick, not great below his knees, but he’s a nice kick

I think JJ is better than an ok player, but leaving that aside you're right he hand Spargo play compeltley differnt roels and i cant see JJ being a good fit for the Spargo high half forward role.

And the end of the day JJ is used as a Mr fix it utilty, but his best spot, IMO, is in the middle. A totally natural mid, whco can find the pill and makes excelent decsiins under prerssure. 

The probelm for JJ is how deep we bat through the middle. 

I have made this comparison before, but he really reminds be of Kennedy at the Hawks.

His talent was evident, and the Hawks would have loved to keep him no doubt, but they were loaded for stars in the middle and Kennedy had to go to the Swans to get a regular gig as a mid at AFL level. And once he got regular minutes it soon became clear he was a top shelf mid. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, binman said:

I think JJ is better than an ok player, but leaving that aside you're right he hand Spargo play compeltley differnt roels and i cant see JJ being a good fit for the Spargo high half forward role.

And the end of the day JJ is used as a Mr fix it utilty, but his best spot, IMO, is in the middle. A totally natural mid, whco can find the pill and makes excelent decsiins under prerssure. 

I have made this comparison before, but he really reminds be of Kennedy at the Hawks.

His talent was evident, and the Hawks would have loved to keep him no doubt, but they were loaded for stars in the middle and Kennedy had to go to the Swans to get a regular gig as a mid at AFL level. And once he got regular minutes it soon became clear he was a top shelf mid. 

i personally don't think jj is anything close to as good a player as josh kennedy

but we shall see

to me he's a classique good, ordinary afl level player - could end up as a 200 gamer but will never be a 'star'

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, binman said:

I think JJ is better than an ok player,

Yep a good ordinary player.  Has no elite skill and is not very quick.  For one who sat on the bench for 3 quarters did not have much zip.

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Hunter was a helluva lot better than “some iffy disposals”. 

Love the physicality he bought to the game, that crunching old fashioned 'shirtfront' he stream-rolled Hyphen-Elliot with deserved so much better than a kick in the 'behind' from Brody Grundy. Game and season highlight real stuff.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Lose him to who? 

To whoever offers him a good contract and regular games.

We currently have 4 small forwards, all hardly touching the ball.

Pressure is just not enough. 

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sydee said:

Trac DE 50%. Handball 10/14 71%. Kicking efficiency 4/14 28%. But 15 contested possessions so he still had a good game just not as damaging as we would like.  
Kozzy. Love him. But 2 errant speccy pack attempts were awful. 6 possessions.  2 behinds.  Tackles were good but maybe because he couldn’t get the footy.  He’s too stationery around packs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Redleg said:

To whoever offers him a good contract and regular games.

We currently have 4 small forwards, all hardly touching the ball.

Pressure is just not enough. 

Good contract and regular games versus playing for a team that's in a premiership window (the possibility of staying in there for the next 3-4 years)....it would be a tough decision for him, don't you think?

1 hour ago, Sydee said:

Pickett is struggling atm there is no doubt about that - he is still however doing what he is asked to do and that is pressure the opposition in our F50 and he is still on track to potentially get 40 plus goals this season.

I'm confident he will come good and start impacting more on the scoreboard as the season rolls on. Suggesting he is one of the most overrated players in the league is way OTT. 40 plus goals in 2021, 2022, and could still get there this year is extremely good from a small forward.

Small forwards that you can compare 

Cody Weightman (never kicked 40 plus goals in a season)

Izak Rankine (never kicked 40 plus goals in a season)

Jamie Elliott (never kicked 40 plus goals in a season)

Shai Bolton (he's done it once)

Jack Higgins (never kicked 40 plus goals in a season)

Tom Papley (he's done it once)

Spot on Cyrill did it only twice. Eddie Betts 6 times over 17 seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, binman said:

I can see it, but pace may be his undoing

He'll really need to develop a 'presence'

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

i personally don't think jj is anything close to as good a player as josh kennedy

but we shall see

to me he's a classique good, ordinary afl level player - could end up as a 200 gamer but will never be a 'star'

Maybe, but much the same was said about Kennedy.

But i don't mean to say JJ will be as good as Kennedy. The comparison is more about perhaps needing to leave the dees to get the AFL minutes he deserves. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BLWNBA said:

One of the more ridiculous posts in the history of Demonland.

• Clap 1

5 hours ago, layzie said:

Except tackles. 

Not sure which game you were watching. He could have kicked 4 goals today, was involved in much 1st Quarter, and always a presence when the ball hit the ground. Collingwood are a first class backline team, he squeezed as much out of his opportunities as he could. It was also a game where Spargo and Chandler were simply bypassed or steamrolled by much bigger opponents. I rated Pickett's game today. He put in!!!

1 hour ago, Jontee said:

Yep a good ordinary player.  Has no elite skill and is not very quick.  For one who sat on the bench for 3 quarters did not have much zip.

Geez, you guys have so many 'expectation'. I'm not trying to be an a/whole, and I ask respectfully, but have you played much footy? I emphasize, I'm just curious...

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, Monbon said:

Not sure which game you were watching. He could have kicked 4 goals today, was involved in much 1st Quarter, and always a presence when the ball hit the ground. Collingwood are a first class backline team, he squeezed as much out of his opportunities as he could. It was also a game where Spargo and Chandler were simply bypassed or steamrolled by much bigger opponents. I rated Pickett's game today. He put in!!!

Was this meant for me? 

I was also crediting his work rate when it was suggested he did very little. His 22 pressure acts helped to setup our intercept game in the front half. Not going to hear me say he did nothing!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Good contract and regular games versus playing for a team that's in a premiership window (the possibility of staying in there for the next 3-4 years)....it would be a tough decision for him, don't you think?

Absolutely. But that's the point, playing for a team to these guys means in the team, not at Casey, with occasional sub games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Was this meant for me? 

I was also crediting his work rate when it was suggested he did very little. His 22 pressure acts helped to setup our intercept game in the front half. Not going to hear me say he did nothing!

4 possessions 3 tackles ,33% effective

This wasn't his grand final type game.

If he was front and centre more often  not setting himself for a big grab from over the pack when the ball was coming in he wouldn't be " bypassed".

Out of position with no sense of cost benefit analysis or risk / reward dualism..

Can't argue with 40 goal seasons but he can be much better. 

1 minute ago, IRW said:

4 possessions 3 tackles ,33% effective

This wasn't his grand final type game.

If he was front and centre more often  not setting himself for a big grab from over the pack when the ball was coming in he wouldn't be " bypassed".

Out of position with no sense of cost benefit analysis or risk / reward dualism..

Can't argue with 40 goal seasons but he can be much better. 

Far from his best game and I agree he can do more, he would know it too. His effort is there, just needs to get back to basics a bit.