• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sparrow cops one week ban for rough conduct

Seraph

10 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Where did you get 70 from?

He's listed as 32.

Dazzle I saw it on the stats file Sparrow 70, Kozzie 65 and JV 59.!!! I may has misinterpreted it.

Edited by DeeZone

9 hours ago, DemonWA said:

Sparrow is one of my favourites, but I don't think there is much hope in trying to get him off the ban

Time for Dunstan to get a look in the Viney 2ic role

Unfortunately DW Dunstan is out for a few more weeks with MRI.😪

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I think it was 3rd quarter.

Red MFC says last Qtr.!!

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

For a guy that is suppose to be an inside bull that compliments our star midfielders he's actually rated 'below average' for contested possession and ground ball gets. 

See this is where people are getting confused and I think this comment is a little misleading. 

Sparrow plays more of a link up and outside role more than that of an “inside bull”. He can play like a bull when needed to but as evidenced by his low CP stats it’s fair to reason that it’s not his main kpi for the role he has in the team. 

Being chosen in front of Jordon speaks volumes about the importance of his role in the team but moreover his ability to execute it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

It is a rubbish stat, yet you've used it?

A kick that goes 40+ metres to a 50/50 contest is considered an effective disposal. And the bulk of his kicks are those types so the 76% is meaningless to me.

The important ones are the kicks where he is under little to no pressure should be hitting targets and he doesn't do this often enough. And he sometimes does even worse by directly turning the ball over when really his kick should be resulting in another possession for us. 

I admire his inside work, but god damn do we still waste so many entries going forward and I still think we need a better balance of players in that midfield mix.

I've used data to try to back up what I've noticed in game. You've used feel that isn't backed up by anything. 

• Like 3

The value of Sparrow is irrelevant to this thread in terms of whether he is guilty or not

He's one of our players and we should go into bat for him as if it's Oliver and a GF berth at stake

As for the incident, both players were moving at decent speed and it just looked like a normal tackle given those circumstances

It's not as if Sparrow pinned him and then drove his head into the ground. Accidents happen and football actions should not be punished

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, Kiwi Dee said:

Can't really complain about the suspension based on the footage. It is exactly the type of tackle they are trying to outlaw. JJ the obvious replacement with Harmes the sub.

So what would be your attitude if it was Oliver, Gawn or Petracca on the eve of a GF?

Players should not miss games for incidents like this.  A fine is sufficient

• Like 6
  • Clap 2

Is there full footage of this “attack”.  The only clip shown shows him falling out of picture.  

• Like 2

Every now and again players are going to hit their heads on the ground as the result of a tackle

So how do we differentiate?  The same tackle more often than not will not result in a player hitting their head on the ground

So if we punish the action alone, numerous players should be cited for the actual action, not the result

e.g. the Kozzie incident is now punishable for the action alone

But that's a shirt-front type action

An aggressive tackle?  Happens frequently in every game

Can of worms

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Macca said:

The value of Sparrow is irrelevant to this thread in terms of whether he is guilty or not

He's one of our players and we should go into bat for him as if it's Oliver and a GF berth at stake

As for the incident, both players were moving at decent speed and it just looked like a normal tackle given those circumstances

It's not as if Sparrow pinned him and then drove his head into the ground. Accidents happen and football actions should not be punished

What annoys me is in today's game with four umpires they didn't even pay a free kick but the lord on high decrees it an offence. Why do we have all these umpires if none of them even thought it was worth a free kick. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Just now, old dee said:

What annoys me is in today's game with four umpires they didn't even pay a free kick but the lord on high decrees it an offence. Why do we have all these umpires if none of them even thought it was worth a free kick. 

Probably because the umpires might have seen the incident as a football action only

HQ are running scared but when will it stop?  It's a collision sport and an aggressive sport so to me, actual transgressions are easy to spot

Actions like a punch, elbow, or shoulder targeting the head area is obvious.  Most of the rest of it is vague and highly questionable

So is a player like Dangerfield going to miss a GF for a similar incident to the Sparrow one?

Zero chance

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

With 4 umpires out there and 2 not doing anything surly its about time that we went back to the umps to do the reporting again then bring in the cameras. At the moment we have one person with only his view to rub a player out it seems.

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Probably because the umpires might have seen the incident as a football action only

HQ are running scared but when will it stop?  It's a collision sport and an aggressive sport so to me, actual transgressions are easy to spot

Actions like a punch, elbow, or shoulder targeting the head area is obvious.  Most of the rest of it is vague and highly questionable

So is a player like Dangerfield going to miss a GF for a similar incident to the Sparrow one?

Zero chance

The adjudication should be based on ‘malicious intent’. 
Still highly subjective but in Sparrows case you can use the variables of players speed, inertia and plain old gravity.

Hell. When will the competitive beasts in this game become so disheartened with all these pansy rule tweaks that they look to play other sports. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, demons123452000 said:

With 4 umpires out there and 2 not doing anything surly its about time that we went back to the umps to do the reporting again then bring in the cameras. At the moment we have one person with only his view to rub a player out it seems.

four umpires isn't working

there's even more inconsistency within games

i'd personally be trying to make them 100% professional and reduce to two

• Like 3

Just now, McQueen said:

The adjudication should be based on ‘malicious intent’. 
Still highly subjective but in Sparrows case you can use the variables of players speed, inertia and plain old gravity.

Hell. When will the competitive beasts in this game become so disheartened with all these pansy rule tweaks that they look to play other sports. 

If the AFL were authentic, they'd make an example of the high profile players, not the lesser lights

But the Sparrow action is a football action in my view anyway

Just like JVR ruling, cite them all or don't cite them at all

In their endeavour to clean things up in terms of head trauma, there is no clear pathway.  The road ahead is murky (to say the least)

Unless the sport is reinvented (AFLX)

• Like 6

After the drawn out saga of the JVR trial ( persecution ) the MRO with the ilks of Christian and Gleeson will be looking for ever opportunity to [censored] the MFC.

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

It's a 50 50 for me. I agree his arms were not pinned but he was still slung. There was no injury from what we know so he probably gets off. But we all know it's a different time now with pending litigation and optics. Not saying we shouldn't appeal it ( I don't think the club will) but that we will probably have to get used to seeing more of these being looked at. 

• Like 1