PREGAME: Rd 10 vs Yartapuulti

Demonland

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Inept in marking contests? Haha mate who's not brought in to be a contested marking beast.

I'm still waiting for an answer on your ridiculous suggestion you made last week that "They've trained the speed out of him" because his too fit?

Explain what exactly this even means from a professional fitness point of view? actually Intrigued to read your answer on this as I would guess you have some sort of qualification to back this up?

I'm not expecting him to take contested marks, I'm expecting him to compete with the best of his ability. He's 6 foot and had a decent leap in his early days, now he can't get off the ground or put his body on the line. Langdon is listed as a cm shorter and isn't a natural at marking contests at all but will often get a fist in. Aerial ability for a winger is a very handy attribute to be good in, or at least not bad in. Hunter is trending toward the bad when it comes to providing some defensive aerial help.

I never professed to be a fitness expert but I thought it's pretty common knowledge that there's a balance when it comes to maximising endurance without sacrificing speed and power. The fitness staff tailor training and gym loads to not over do players.

Hunter is playing high TOG% which is good for rotations but in combination with what I suspect was a far bigger preseason for him this year than his recent ones at the Dogs is it unreasonable to think he might be far more fatigued in his current role than how he was asked to play the wing at the Dogs? Just being on the MCG compared to Marvel alone would require a lot more kms and more so in the way we get our wings to drop right back compared to the Dogs aggressive up the ground zone.

Someone said he might not be fit enough. From watching the games I said fitness isn't the issue as he won't stop going up and back, but he lacks the pace or confidence to get the ball on the run and keep it moving in the way Langdon does. I don't have to be a fitness expert to see that, it's clear as day from watching it out on the ground. Whether that's a training thing or just the fact that he isn't Langdon (no one else really is) I don't know.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Langdon’s role hasn’t changed at all. They’re both playing wings and running forward and back as the game requires.

Helping out the mids? He’s really poor at the back of stoppages because his lack of burst and toughness sees him miss tackles and get caught in traffic. He’s Zoolander out there with his inability to ever go on his right, not just with kicking but he won’t handball on his right either.

He’s going to ground and giving away the kind of dumb free kicks that veterans who have lost it in the legs do. He’s utterly inept in marking contests.

And honestly some of that would be ok if his kicking was a weapon like when he had time and confidence in preseason. Now it’s at best 1 great kick followed by 3 slow little up and unders and a turnover. 

I doubt they drop him just yet but for the last month he’s not giving us anything more than JJ did last year. 

Before I gob off, or not, can you clarify who 'he' is?

15 hours ago, Jjrogan said:

This last point was specifically mentioned by May in the Demonland interview.  He even rattlled off a stat about how our scoring from back 50 is competition's best due to the smaller, quicker structure and asked Lever to confirm it. So its something they have now trained for and I daresay is going to stay unless the opposition has 3 genuine talls (which is also something May effectively said).  

How many teams have 3 genuine forward talls?

Demons greatest defensive challenge last year was ball coming in fast and hitting the ground, so Demons have gone extra mid size in defence vs 3rd tall to help with the ball hitting the ground!

Look at other teams in the mix:

Pies - Mihocek & McStay

Cats - Hawkins & Cameron

Lions - Daniher & Hipwood

Doggy’s - Ugle & Naugthon maybe Lobb

Saints - King (TBC) & Membrey

Tigers - Lynch (TBC) & Riewoldt 

Carlton - Curnow & McKay 

Port - Dixon, Finlayson + ?????

Dogs and maybe Port can go three talls, but if you go big, if opposition knock it to the ground with great discipline they are off to the races. I feel this is how the Pies defend!

So May/Lever with Hibbo/Rivers taking the 3rd tall with Max/ Grundy also providing some cover!! Leaves Bowey, McVee, Brayshaw, Salem to cover small/mid size players!

Goodwin & FD have learned from last year and are modifying our team structure to suit what is required to be in the hunt in 2023!

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, The Stigga said:

Youve got to be joking, great at getting free and linking up forward, thought he was great yesterday.

I’m sorry I don’t rate him as highly as others.

Would much rather a 22yo Jordon that performs his job whenever he plays than a slow 28yo from the Buldogs, that people seem to overate because he came from another club

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

46 minutes ago, D4Life said:

How many teams have 3 genuine forward talls?

Demons greatest defensive challenge last year was ball coming in fast and hitting the ground, so Demons have gone extra mid size in defence vs 3rd tall to help with the ball hitting the ground!

Look at other teams in the mix:

Pies - Mihocek & McStay

Cats - Hawkins & Cameron

Lions - Daniher & Hipwood

Doggy’s - Ugle & Naugthon maybe Lobb

Saints - King (TBC) & Membrey

Tigers - Lynch (TBC) & Riewoldt 

Carlton - Curnow & McKay 

Port - Dixon, Finlayson + ?????

Dogs and maybe Port can go three talls, but if you go big, if opposition knock it to the ground with great discipline they are off to the races. I feel this is how the Pies defend!

So May/Lever with Hibbo/Rivers taking the 3rd tall with Max/ Grundy also providing some cover!! Leaves Bowey, McVee, Brayshaw, Salem to cover small/mid size players!

Goodwin & FD have learned from last year and are modifying our team structure to suit what is required to be in the hunt in 2023!

I think that's exactly right. As a result, Petty aint going back even if he has a stinker or two. The game is faster now that teams have adapted to the Stand rule. 

14 hours ago, radar said:

Apart from Footscray and Lions (L1W1) everyone we’ve played (beaten) is bottom eight. 
Didn’t beat Essendon. 

12 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Compare that to Collingwood who have played Geelong, Port, Brisbane and St Kilda.

Adelaide's currently leading St Kilda 31-7 so let's assume Adelaide wins and passes Carlton into 8th.

The top 8's record to Round 9 vs the top 8:

1. Collingwood - 4-1
  2. Port Adelaide - 3-2
  3. Adelaide - 2-2
  4. Brisbane - 2-2
  5. Geelong - 1-1
  6. Melbourne - 1-1
  7. St Kilda - 1-3
  8. Bulldogs - 1-3

So only Collingwood and Port have winning records against the top 8.

Like Geelong, we've only had 2 opportunities and have split them 1-1.

But interstate travel-wise, we've had 4 road trips to date, compared to St Kilda's 2, Geelong's 2, Collingwood's 2, the Dogs' 3, Adelaide's 3 and Port's 4. That's right, only Brisbane in the top 8 has had more games out of their home state than us. And we have a 5th next week, whilst Brisbane are at home, meaning that through 10 rounds we'll have done the equal-most travel of all top 8 sides, inclusive of three interstate sides.

None of this means we're certainties to romp it home after next week but it's important context.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Ben Brown needs to come back in, forward line structure isn’t as good as it could be right now.

Said this BEFORE Yesterdays game

One change Petty inj for BBB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Stigga said:

Youve got to be joking, great at getting free and linking up forward, thought he was great yesterday.

He was EASILY in our top 6 Hunter playing very good footy

• Like 11

18 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Dropping Sparrow?????? Tough call I reckon.

Agree Bobby, very tough call, but to get BBB back into the 22 it is going to be tough on some other player. The only other option is Fritsch to come out for BBB. Otherwise, one of Sparrow, Jordon, or McVee has to come out. It would be tough to drop any of these three but in my opinion Sparrow is providing the least of these three.

• Thinking 1
  • Shocked 2

Looks like Port will be down a few forwards next week with Marshall subbed with concussion yesterday. Dixon (Quad) and Rioli (Suspension) also not playing.

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Looks like Port will be down a few forwards next week with Marshall subbed with concussion yesterday. Dixon (Quad) and Rioli (Suspension) also not playing.

They are also undersized down back so we can look to stretch em with BBB or TMac coming in For Petty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

He was EASILY in our top 6 Hunter playing very good footy

17 disposals, 3 turnovers, 2 frees against including one directly in front of goal. Very little quick ball movement or corridor kicking.

Probably only ahead of Fritsch and Grundy for worst on.

14 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

1pm Saturday for the Casey game against North

Should be a good test for the fringe players. 4th v 8th

Weather in Adelaide on Friday night looking good and on the cool side for the AFL game

North had an afl midfield in their side in their last game. About as good as their actual side. 

I get there’s a little frustration about some fringe guys not getting a game but our kids and the ageing key forwards all needed the rest. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

17 disposals, 3 turnovers, 2 frees against including one directly in front of goal. Very little quick ball movement or corridor kicking.

Do you mean the free kick in front of goal where he was pushed into the legs of a player??

And we’re dropping Fritsch again are we?

What’s the weather like outside?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Clap 3

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'm not expecting him to take contested marks, I'm expecting him to compete with the best of his ability. He's 6 foot and had a decent leap in his early days, now he can't get off the ground or put his body on the line. Langdon is listed as a cm shorter and isn't a natural at marking contests at all but will often get a fist in. Aerial ability for a winger is a very handy attribute to be good in, or at least not bad in. Hunter is trending toward the bad when it comes to providing some defensive aerial help.

I never professed to be a fitness expert but I thought it's pretty common knowledge that there's a balance when it comes to maximising endurance without sacrificing speed and power. The fitness staff tailor training and gym loads to not over do players.

Hunter is playing high TOG% which is good for rotations but in combination with what I suspect was a far bigger preseason for him this year than his recent ones at the Dogs is it unreasonable to think he might be far more fatigued in his current role than how he was asked to play the wing at the Dogs? Just being on the MCG compared to Marvel alone would require a lot more kms and more so in the way we get our wings to drop right back compared to the Dogs aggressive up the ground zone.

Someone said he might not be fit enough. From watching the games I said fitness isn't the issue as he won't stop going up and back, but he lacks the pace or confidence to get the ball on the run and keep it moving in the way Langdon does. I don't have to be a fitness expert to see that, it's clear as day from watching it out on the ground. Whether that's a training thing or just the fact that he isn't Langdon (no one else really is) I don't know.

Exactly how I knew you'd answer based on having zero factual information, so you randomly make it up.

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

They are also undersized down back so we can look to stretch em with BBB or TMac coming in For Petty. 

And then you get rebounded on. Our biggest weakness and vulnerability is ground ball.

There's a reason we are going smaller ourselves at the back. We want to be able to rebound off teams ourselves.

The modern game with slingshot turnover footy is not at all conducive to having tall forwards all over the shop. If they don't get it done in the air, it's usually a rebound.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Billy said:

I’m sorry I don’t rate him as highly as others.

Would much rather a 22yo Jordon that performs his job whenever he plays than a slow 28yo from the Buldogs, that people seem to overate because he came from another club

Overrated because he came from another club? Perhaps the opposite is more accurate. Some strange animosity towards him on this site. Regularly plays well.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Doesnt mean our forward set up is working as best it can.

We haven't played the other teams in the top 4 yet. That stat may change in the next few weeks

So our forward set up has nothing to do with how many goals we kick? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Absolute drivel. Hunter was terrific yesterday. What I liked was he played a more contested game this week. Attacked the ball and the man with more ferocity than the previous week. Gave a couple of frees away but i don't mind that.Number of people game him votes. 

• Like 8