Does Damian Hardwick have a glass jaw?

pitmaster

Take a look at Hardwick’s reaction to speculation his time with the Tiges is done: no eye contact with his questioner, head weaving side to side like a boxer on the ropes, sour comments about ‘say that to my face’.

It’s ever so with him after a defeat. Remember his “we know what it takes to beat Melbourne” a couple of weeks ago. (Sadly no journo responded “then how come you’ve lost  the last three on the trot?)

For a proclaimed hard man he’s very prone to sook. 

Other’s thoughts?

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 10
  • Clap 1

12 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

Take a look at Hardwick’s reaction to speculation his time with the Tiges is done: no eye contact with his questioner, head weaving side to side like a boxer on the ropes, sour comments about ‘say that to my face’.

It’s ever so with him after a defeat. Remember his “we know what it takes to beat Melbourne” a couple of weeks ago. (Sadly no journo responded “then how come you’ve lost  the last three on the trot?)

For a proclaimed hard man he’s very prone to sook. 

Other’s thoughts?

Lost all respect for him after he had a crack at David Schwartz about the 2000 GF

• Like 20
  • Love 3

15 minutes ago, Gouga said:

Bloke held onto an 18 year old brad green while dean wallis punched him in the throat during the first quarter of the 2000 grand final. What else you need to know? 

Yes well I do remember that. 

• Like 2

He and Clarkson have very similar attitudes and I get the feeling that Hardwick will hang on like grim death until prodded out by the Club. Tigers are due for a reset and although they probably won't go as low as Eagles they should be very wary of how quickly things catch up once the core and heart for the contest and run in your game ( which is very inconsistent to be frank) occurs each week. 

There is no doubt injuries ( as with Eagles) have played their part but there is nothing like the smell of an off colour half baked former  champ trying to relive their glory days. 1965 ( late) and 1966 for us were very tough years and little did we know how much tougher and longer this would continue. Tigers have a history of putting bad years consecutively ( like us) so with Peggy gone and Gale due for another bigger executive job there is a feeling that Damien might be right to look for another Club to practice his bravado. A 3/4 year rebuild is also not a pretty sight for a former champ, or the viewers and press alike. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Lost all respect for him after he had a crack at David Schwartz about the 2000 GF

Agree, hates criticism, angry man, his time is up!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 7

Utmost admiration for the guy. Bloke from the Yarra Valley becomes one of the greatest coaches of the modern era. That's a remarkable achievement.

The ridiculous parochialisation of our game is so juvenile.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Utmost admiration for the guy. Bloke from the Yarra Valley becomes one of the greatest coaches of the modern era. That's a remarkable achievement.

The ridiculous parochialisation of our game is so juvenile.

Look I've got respect for the guy, I did think he was an exceptional player. Not always clean but a big part of both flags he played in. 

He's been a fantastic coach as well and like Goody was able to take on feedback at a time when he probably believed in his own methods but was able to do the self analysis and grow. 

What is starting to grate is the macho bravado and smug attitude in interviews and pressers that has crept in. He was always a smartalec in pressers but he's almost starting to come across as a bit bitter lately. 

The incident with Schwarz a few years back wasn't all that impressive. It sounded like pub talk and we all remember what he did that day. Would have been best left unsaid, he doesn't have to knee-jerk at every tough question or comment. 

• Like 7

I'm hoping he stays on at Richmond and drives them further down the Clarkson-Hawthorn road with a failed attempt at topping up. As has been pointed out Taranto and Hopper is looking like Mitchell and O'Meara already. No draft picks for 2 years and then Tasmania coming in. 

I don't like him but as I've posted before, the smart move by the AFL would be to get him up to GC. He could make a difference there.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Ever since he did the dirty on Mrs Hardwick and got together  with his current partner, he has got more angrier & his team hasn't had any success 

totally irrelevant comment.

His team are past their peak by a few years. This is a natural bottoming out after a very successful period. His private life has nothing to do with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, BDA said:

totally irrelevant comment.

His team are past their peak by a few years. This is a natural bottoming out after a very successful period. His private life has nothing to do with it.

The thread is really about his character not his record. His continual references to "Mrs. Hardwick's advice" looked pretty hollow when they split up.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

He is on a tie with Chris Scott as the least likeable coach in the AFL.  

• Like 9

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Hope they absolutely crumble to the lower depths like West Coast have.

And we pass them on 14 flags this year. 😉

• Like 4
  • Love 7

13 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Not to mention his assault - alongside his other hero Don Thug - of 19 year old Brad green in that match.

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

He is on a tie with Chris Scott as the least likeable coach in the AFL.  

Couldn't disagree more. Chris Scott is the most articulate and interesting coach out there. In fact, I think he's the only one worth listening to. The rest either say nothing of any value (Goodwin, Longmire, Simpson) or occasionally appear angry (Hardwick, Clarkson, Beveridge, Lyon).

I think it would be best for Hardwick and Richmond to go their separate ways at the end of this season. I could see Hardwick moving to Port Adelaide next season with Hinkley taking charge of Gold Coast should Dew's time be up.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 2

15 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Absolutely Pickett.   This coach needs to respect others to earn it himself. No. of Flags doesn't make him necessarily a kind human being.  Just a great coach with an A Grade list.  Ox beat an additcion and 2 knee reco's to become a lion of our club.

Glass jaw big time.  Its how you behave when things aren't going great that's someone's measure (IMO).

But he's got a few mates in this regard.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Ever since he did the dirty on Mrs Hardwick and got together  with his current partner, he has got more angrier & his team hasn't had any success 

Workplace romances are one thing, romances with clear disparities in power dynamics are another thing all together. Kyle Sandilands married his former assistant. I feel like that makes my point, and I rest my case.

For the 2000 GF, I despise him. As a player he was a thug, often a sniping, but he was also a very good footballer. 

As a coach, I respect him greatly. I have listened to him on a number of occasions as he talks more broadly about playing footy, the broader game, current issues etc..., and he is really good to listen to. 

He and the Tigers executive planned around this year being 1 last tilt at a flag with their ageing stars (in particular Cotchin, Reiwoldt and Dusty) and it has been a flop, mainly due to injuries. It took him 6-7 years to get the Tigers up from the eternal 9th position but when he did - wow. But no way will he be given 6 years this time, and I don't reckon he would want to. With Tassie coming in, it will be hard to rebuild any faster than 5 years. I see him moving on to another challenge at the end of this year.

He’s the equal biggest sook in the AFL, along with Beverigde. Can’t stand either of them. 

It’s honestly embarrassing how Hardwick et al. carry on and the disdain they treat reporters with (although they’re not exactly alone in that respect).