NON-MFC: Rd 06 2023

Demonland

22 minutes ago, picket fence said:

We flogged them in the pre season praccy

Saints are a serious team. Disciplined, well drilled, defensively minded. Their three key defenders, relative unknowns, are dominating. Their small forwards are doing the job. One of my pet hates is AFL fans falling for star individuals over collective team effort/system. Blues had Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Cerra, etc and were no match for the Saints.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, layzie said:

St Kilda could be the real deal. Don't get all up in my face with what you perceive to be a lack of quality opponents they've faced. The key word is 'could' 

I think they ARE the real deal and they’ve beaten three teams that are at least 3-3 with two of those sides being in the top 4 at the time of playing them.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Lol…some Carlton fans on the forums want a mini rebuild and a coaching change. You have just have to laugh at some reactions directly after a match.

At least we don’t overreact here at Demonland.

• Haha 12

Random stat, but George Hewett had 29 disposals for only 30 metres gain.

How is that even possible?? Just seems incredibly low for so many possessions. 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Hewett's not the worst in that category, but he's right up (down?) there.

FEWEST METRES GAINED BY PLAYERS WITH MORE THAN 25 DISPOSALS*
Jaeger O’Meara - 25 disposals for -1m gained (Rd 23, 2017)
Jack Macrae - 30 disposals for 1m gained (Rd 2, 2016)
Cameron Guthrie - 33 disposals for 21m gained (Rd 22, 2014)
Daniel Cross - 28 disposals for 22m gained (Rd 1, 2012)
Matt Crouch - 25 disposals for 29m gained (Rd 5, 2016)
George Hewett - 29 disposals for 30m gained (Rd 6, 2023)^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I would imagine the reason metres gained is so low is that most of his possessions were either a kick or a handball backwards or across the ground or a handball to a teammate running past.  I'm guessing "metres gained" is only counted when the disposal sends the ball forwards (towards goal) or the player is running forwards with the footy.

Edited by Demonstone
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Hewett's not the worst in that category, but he's right up (down?) there.

FEWEST METRES GAINED BY PLAYERS WITH MORE THAN 25 DISPOSALS*
Jaeger O’Meara - 25 disposals for -1m gained (Rd 23, 2017)
Jack Macrae - 30 disposals for 1m gained (Rd 2, 2016)
Cameron Guthrie - 33 disposals for 21m gained (Rd 22, 2014)
Daniel Cross - 28 disposals for 22m gained (Rd 1, 2012)
Matt Crouch - 25 disposals for 29m gained (Rd 5, 2016)
George Hewett - 29 disposals for 30m gained (Rd 6, 2023)^

How does one gain negative meters?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Random stat, but George Hewett had 29 disposals for only 30 metres gain.

How is that even possible?? Just seems incredibly low for so many possessions. 

His first movement is backwards and that is why. 

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I think they ARE the real deal and they’ve beaten three teams that are at least 3-3 with two of those sides being in the top 4 at the time of playing them.

I don't think the fact that some of their opponents were top 4 at the time of playing them means a whole lot in the first 6 weeks.

Right now Fremantle and Carlton don't look like finals sides. So their wins over the Dogs and Essendon look good. But even then, I'm not sure Essendon will keep it going all year.

Plus they're yet to play a non-Gather Round interstate game.

Collingwood IMO is miles in front of any other side for flag favouritism. Geelong's beaten two (not even) VFL-quality sides and a Sydney side missing its back and forward lines. St Kilda see above. I'm unsure on Essendon keeping their form for another 18 weeks. Sydney's depth is non-existent and unlike previous years they're going to need it in 2023. Brisbane will win enough H&A games but they still don't defend well and have to get better away from the Gabba. Adelaide struggled to beat Hawthorn and strike me as a massive flash in the pan style side. Port Adelaide are hot/cold. Carlton have problems all over the place.

As for us? Well, I don't know. But I know we're not as good as Collingwood.

• Like 4

I am finding myself thinking that Ross Lyon is ‘the most’ watchable post match presser coach goiania around. 

Edited by McQueen
https://www.afl.com.au/video/911340

1 minute ago, McQueen said:

I am finding myself thinking that Ross Lyon is ‘the most’ watchable post match presser coach goin around.