TRAINING: Tuesday 18th April 2023

kev martin

41 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

TMac and May did not do much - a bit of kick to kick and uncontested marking while I was watching. 

Not surprised by this. The way May moved last week, rarely bending down or jumping off the ground and how easily moved looked like someone with  back trouble.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Spargo absent. Kye Turner and Salem in rehab. I thought I saw Verrall there early, but then he was gone.

Viney was working away from the group and ANB joined him for some significant running - looked like a load management exercise to me, so would expect them both to be available. Brown, Lever and Hibberd all trained unhindered with the main group so I would speculate that all three of those are also available to play on Sunday or Monday (despite Richo managing expectations there - still a main training session to come). Gawn a certainty.

And lastly, Joel Smith was training!

Did you speak to Kate.

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Fluff fluff fluff BB. 

Thanks Old...

Wouldn't have wanted to have made an extra special effort....to get to an "announcement" just to served up stale waffles.

Not overly clever by the club imo.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Sad 1

Thanks KV and all posters greatly appreciated, injury news looks improved, players sounded relaxed and friendly be hard for management to be overly confident after our miserable showing against the Dons. Nice that the club made themselves and the players available for 10+ year members.!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bimbo said:

It appeared that the Casey contingent did some running away from the main group for a while.  Laurie was with them while Schache was with the main group.  

He'll play

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, old55 said:

I saw it differently Bimbo. I saw Schache, Laurie, Harmes, Hibberd and Howes with the "Casey" group, while TMac, Sparrow and Tomlinson to name three possibly in question were with the main group. Gawn and Lever were with the main group and as discussed above Viney wasn't and Spargo wasn't there.

He won't play

• Haha 6
  • Thinking 1

6 hours ago, old dee said:

I didn't notice him dd but that is not to say he wasn't there I concentrated on Max,Bown and Lever.

He was out there said he was feeling good coming back with concussion recently. Said it was his 4th concussion when l asked him, no lingering concerns though

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pitmaster said:

Spoke to TMac who is still sore from the knee in the back 

TMac and May did not do much - a bit of kick to kick 

That's a worry for both players.

May's averages are off 22% so far this season vs 2022.  Hopefully nothing too serious here on the health/fitness front.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Billy said:

What about 35 year members?

In the end it wasn't too different to a normal training session ... main difference was a couple of speaks at the start and they answered a few questions, free coffee if you wanted to line up long enough, and a bit more time for signatures. l am a 25 yr member, was hoping for something more 'inner sanctum' like to be honest. Richo said players wanted to catch the red eye from perth to get back quicker to fam after 3 recent road trips, they may sleep over next time l suspect. Kid seemed to surprise Richo with a kozzie question - standard line about all going in right direction

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pitmaster said:

The most interesting thing Richo said was that the players and Simon were doing the review as he spoke and no, they would not be talking about energy levels. He went on to say they would only talk about things they could control.

It seemed to be a veiled reference to the travel load (3 interstaters in 4 weeks) and prompted a question from the crowd about the wisdom of bringing the players home on a red-eye special rather than allowing recovery post match on a 6-day turnaround. Richo said that was how the players wanted it - getting back to family asap and so on. 

Richo went on to say the review would be focusing on defence and  clearances which were lacking last week.

Spoke to TMac who is still sore from the knee in the back he copped. Brown moved well, got down low several times to gather marks; Max looked good and seemed untroubled; Lever, too, although said to be in doubt by Richo showed no signs of discomfort running, kicking and walking.

TMac and May did not do much - a bit of kick to kick and uncontested marking while I was watching.  Trac looked good in some handball exercises moving the ball fast and low and Riv finished off a drill with a nice running goal that caused a few players to make some noise. Expect they will get up to some serious stuff later this week. This was just a loosener. 

That was right in front of us and TMac gave out an very loud groan when hit and then stayed down for a long time whilst play went on. The trainer tried to get on the ground but couldn't get on because of the play around her. By the sound of the hit and the subsequent groaning coming from Tommy I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't play this week.  Glad that he trained today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Probably not the right thread but the TMc knee to the back wasn’t even a free as I recall …. barely a week after the AFL reiterated that it would not be tolerated.  When Cox returns he will feel that he has free rein.  
Such typical AFL hypocrisy / double standard.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

That was right in front of us and TMac gave out a very loud groan when hit and then stayed down for a long time whilst play went on. The trainer tried to get on the ground but couldn't get on because of the play around her. By the sound of the hit and the subsequent groaning coming from Tommy I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't play this week.  Glad that he trained today.

The umpire shouldn’t have let Draper nominate for the ruck when he was so far away.  By the time he had reached the contest, he was at full pace and TMac was a sitting duck.  Very ordinary moment.

• Like 6
  • Angry 2

4 hours ago, tiers said:

Well organised opportunity for 10year + members to watch training and meet the players. Lots of kids as well.

Light training mostly for show followed by easy access for members to approach players. Lots of photos and autographs.

I imagine the same applies to all teams but we found the players to be approachable, cooperative (for photos and auotographs)and pleasant to meet and speak to.

A great promotion for the club.

I was all set to attend, but then covid struck!! 

• Sad 2

Someone mentioned the question about Kozzie from the youngster. It happened just as Kozzie was entering the field and clearly heard the question and Gave FRicho the thumbs up which Richo acknowledged. I hope he has decided so we can quickly move on.

The session was short and sharp with Max, Hibbo and Lever all spending some time with the fitness team. It is also noteworthy that Van Roo had an enormous knee bandage on one leg. I wonder if he is carrying an injury. Nothing mentioned.

I was pleased to see the session finished off with goal kicking drills. The media complain that clubs don't practice goal kicking but all players were having a go. I watched Ollie Sestan  as he has a set routine and did not miss any of his dozen or so shots on goal.

A most enjoyable day

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Thinking 1

11 hours ago, DemonWheels said:

Didn't stick around for training but was there for a few words from Kate Roffey and Alan Richardson, left after the squad had been warming up for 20 mins or so.

According to Richardson, at this stage it looks like Gawn will be playing this week (was very close last week) but they'll give him a few sessions this week and won't make the call until closer to game day.

Richardson sounded less positive about Lever's chances for this week, wasn't a definitive 'no' but basically suggested he's not in Gawn's position of being over the ankle concerns he's got. Sounds like he might need another week. (Keen to hear what training he does).

Salem still 4 weeks away at least.

Brown was close last week but just been experiencing back soreness. Looked pretty good to me in the warmups (Keen to also hear what training he does).

Roffey thanked all members and pushed for all those in attendance to get their Melbourne supporting non-member friends and acquaintances to sign up too, so get on board Demonlanders if you haven't already!

Nice one Wheels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Van Roo had an enormous knee bandage

When I first saw JVR's knee, about two weeks ago, he had one of those supportive elasticised bandages on it, then it was a sticky sports bandage. Today I didn't notice, but it seems to be progressing in size. Hoping they are just trying to give it the support it needs and is not an ongoing problem.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

I was pleased to see the session finished off with goal kicking drills. The media complain that clubs don't practice goal kicking but all players were having a go. I watched Ollie Sestan  as he has a set routine and did not miss any of his dozen or so shots on goal.

In Lethal's interview with Goodwin,  Lethal said we were No.1 in the league for set shots with an accuracy of 66% so far this season.

Probably well known by many on here already but Goodwin confirmed we have stepped things up in this area with Choco taking over the goal kicking skill sessions from Stafford this year.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Vipercrunch said:

The umpire shouldn’t have let Draper nominate for the ruck when he was so far away.  By the time he had reached the contest, he was at full pace and TMac was a sitting duck.  Very ordinary moment.

It's illegal to knee players in a ruck contest

pzzzpoor umpiring and match review.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2