• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CASEY: Rd 03 vs Frankston

KC from Casey

I watched this on Channel 7. Bailey Laurie played an incredible game, but in a totally different role to what I was expecting. He reminded me a little of Caleb Serong, with a low centre of gravity and good decisions by hand and foot. It is next to impossible to get a game in our engine room at present, but it will be interesting to see how his career pans out from here. I think he’s good enough. 

Jefferson will be a handful on the MCG when he gets a few extra kilograms. Rangey type, really like the look of him. 

• Like 15

Another solid win from Casey today, quite similar to last week against Sydney after a slow start, they were able to wrestle the match back onto their terms and come away with what was a comfortable win.  Things of note today.

1. Casey missed Tomlinson's drive off half back and McDonalds marking power across half forward.  Took Casey a while to find their run off half back and Jefferson and Schache didn't have as strong a aerial presence as McDonald did last week, but they found a way in the end.

2. Blake Howes should make his senior debut this year.  Don't think it will be next week or anything, but he's coming along nicely at half back.  Still needs to clean up his disposal a bit, but in the first quarter when Frankston were all over us, Howes and Moniz-Wakefield were the reason that we didn't find ourselves further behind.

3. I like the look of Frankston's skipper Will Fordham.  Spent a few years on North's rookie list back in 2015/16/17, then played some local footy and has been at Frankston the last few years.  Shows some pretty good skills and spread well from the contest.  With the likely list turn over of someone like Dunstan and question marks of JJ and what he might do as a free agent at seasons end, Fordham could be a potential mature age option for some midfield depth if required.

4. Bacon and egg rolls are still great!

Edited by MadAsHell
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 2

3 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

If players like Laurie, Turner, Howes and AMW don't get much of a go at AFL level soon, we will lose some of them. They all look ready to step up, but other players are in front of them. And I love the look of Jefferson.

Laurie and Disco are contracted for next year and Howes until 2025. AMW surely in line for an extension once they get the bigger names done.

Disco’s probably the one from that group that I think is closest to playing afl footy and he’s 1 game back from injury and a young tall.

I don’t think any of them are missing out on anything. In fact I think they’re getting better development by being in the VFL. Laurie’s a 6 touch a game forward flanker at afl and 30 a game mid at Casey. 

• Like 8

I was impressed with Cross and S Sheridan. Commentary was that Max went to the Eastern finals last year, noticed Sheridan, and alerted the club to his potential. 192 cm string bean who moves well and knows where the goals are.

My son is a North supporter and was watching Fordham who has an AFL body but butchers the ball and makes bad decisions . Not AFL standard in this opinion

• Like 6

Bailey Laurie. Definitely will be an AFL footballer but behind too many at the Dees. Starring at VFL. 

Tom Sheridan. Get the boy a pen. Love his style. He’s another great find and reminds me of when we discovered Fritsch. 
Blake Howes. If he lifted his intensity, he’ll get a game in the next 3-4 weeks. He’s ready. 
AMW. Get him signed up. 
Jefferson. Build him up and watch the JVR/Jefferson combo in years to come. 

* actually liked Trent Mynott from the Dolphins. I’d invite him to pre season and see how he goes. I think he could be a very solid AFL player. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

After a slow start Laurie, Dunstan and Munro controlled the game.

Mids: Laurie was prolific and at times very classy, but I’m not sure it was his most impactful, still a bounce back from last weeks performance when he played as more of a forward and game day emerg. Dunstan ran the ball well. Roan Steele has gone up a level, still not perfect in the contest or with his ball use but Baker effectively got drafted off similar form last year.

AMW playing up at stoppages was everywhere early and solid throughout, just needs to be a bit cleaner. Also not sure what the coaches will think of his constant desire to fly for marks. George Grey continues to play AFL like footy to my eye.

Backs: Buntine went back and controlled things. Adams started very slowly but came in to it more, he’s got a solid safe penetrating kick. Deak Smith’s decision making and skills didn’t hold up early but he was everywhere in the second half, excellent work rate. Turner’s ball winning and tackling and Howes’ ability to slip from traffic and use stood out early when it was hot. Both should really push for games now.

Forwards: Schache built in to it well and was solid given he was coming off a head knock. Jeffo floats in and out, but boy the ins are exciting. His best play all day might’ve been a lovely quick long kick out in front of Valentine to run on to. Sestan’s still learning too but looks to apply himself and has big moments. Shep forward for some pressure was an inspired choice. Like Neocleous. 

I’m not as enamoured with Sheridan as others. Tall and rangy and can get over the back, nice set shot. But doesn’t look likely at all in a pack, haven’t seen any kind of leap or lateral movement. But hey, he’s hit the scoreboard and there’s a bit of a cult figure look about him so who knows. 

• Like 12

Thanks all for reports and opinions.

I am uncertain as to Disco’s future position.  What role does he play and with whom is he competing for a place?  Tall, medium, pacey; KPD or flanker.  Unfortunately we only got a short cameo last year in what was to turn out to be the last QB game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Thanks all for reports and opinions.

I am uncertain as to Disco’s future position.  What role does he play and with whom is he competing for a place?  Tall, medium, pacey; KPD or flanker.  Unfortunately we only got a short cameo last year in what was to turn out to be the last QB game. 

I think he is understudy to Jake Lever - intercepting KPD. Bit small for the gorillas but enough pace to play on mid size forwards and can run off and link up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A FRIENDLY BREEZE by KC from Casey

The first arrivals to Casey Fields for Sunday’s VFL local derby between the Casey Demons and the Frankston Dolphins were greeted by fleeting glimpses of blue skies and the rains that lashed the region were moderating although the winds still gusted from time to time.

After a torrid start the wind turned out to be a friendly breeze in the end for the home side as it coasted to its third win on the trot, this time by a comfortable margin of ten goals, 16.13 (109) to 7.7 (49).

The Dolphins kicked first with the benefit of the wind and for the first half hour of the game, they held sway. They were on top in the early clearance battles, scored the opening goal that was soon matched by Tom Sheridan’s first and held a two goal lead at quarter time. It was rare for anyone to hold the ascendancy at any time at the Fortress and the Demons were stung into action by coach Taylor Whitford’s measured address at the break.

For the ensuing two quarters, Casey put on something of a clinic booting the next nine goals unanswered on either side of the half time break to hold an unassailable 49 point lead as the final term kicked off. By then the game opened up with goals flowing for both sides. The final margin at the end was a 60-point victory for the hosts that saw them at the top of the table.

There were many stars for Casey. Bailey Laurie with 35 disposals, 6 tackles and a goal from the middle was the standout. He was accompanied by former Saint turned Demon in Luke Dunstan (26 touches) and two much improved youngsters in the livewire Andy Moniz-Wakefield from Darwin and George Grey who was recently upgraded to the club’s leadership group.

And, as usual, we marveled at the massive contribution of master tackler Jimmy Munro who kept the Dolphins on their toes with his relentless pressure on the tackle. He finished with 11 bone jarring tackles for the game. 

There were many contributions from the well blended side that contained just ten AFL listed players. Blake Howes again stood out with his good ball control and running through the lines. He was particularly important early when the pressure was well and truly on the team.

Forward Matt Jefferson showed great goal awareness near the big sticks. He can take a mark and he kicked three goals, as did recruit Sheridan who was noticed by Max Gawn starring in a final for South Croydon. Josh Schache was also among the goals while pinch hitting in the ruck helping the improving Jack Bell.

Coming back from injury, Daniel Turner stood up well in defence where he and Deakyn Smith toiled hard. Young forward Oliver Sestan flashed in and out of play and although not prolific in winning the football, he again showed his promise for the future. It will be interesting to see exactly where he is with a year of development and the mentoring of the experienced heads of Melbourne under his belt.

With the AFL clubs congregating in Adelaide next weekend for the Gather Road, Casey should have a strong squad available for its first away encounter of the year at the NEC Hangar against the Bombers next Sunday afternoon. That part of the world is far from home for Casey and the support of local Dees would be greatly appreciated.

CASEY DEMONS 1.1.7 7.7.49 10.13.73 16.13.109

FRANKSTON 3.1.19 3.3.21 3.6.24 7.7.49

GOALS

CASEY DEMONS Jefferson Schache Sheridan 3 Baldi Dunstan Laurie Neocleous Sestan Shepherd Valentine 

FRANKSTON

Lambert 2 Butland Florent Johnson Quirk Small

BEST 

CASEY DEMONS Laurie Dunstan Munro Schache Grey Steele

FRANKSTON Stoddart Mynott Voss Fordham Quirk Owens

Statistics 

Jed Adams 5 kicks 1 handballs 6 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 24 dream team points
Riley Baldi 1 goal 8 kicks  10 handballs 18 disposals 2 marks 6 tackles 80 dream team points
Jack Bell 5 kicks 1 handballs 6 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 30 hit outs 54 dream team points
Matt Buntine 9 kicks 2 handballs 11 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 55 dream team points
Paddy Cross 1 behind 9 kicks 5 handballs 14 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 52 dream team points
Luke Dunstan 1 goal 15 kicks 11 handballs 26 disposals 4 marks 3 tackles 97 dream team points
Tom Freeman 3 kicks 4 handballs 7 disposals  2 marks 1 tackle 27 dream team points
Max Gregory 4 kicks 4 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 33 dream team points
George Grey 2 behinds 14 kicks 9 handballs 23 disposals 1 mark 5 tackles 85 dream team points
Blake Howes 14 kicks 9 handballs 23 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 71 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 3 goals 10 kicks 2 handballs 12 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 71 dream team points
Bailey Laurie 1 goal 12 kicks 23 handballs 35 disposals 5 marks 6 tackles 127 dream team points
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 2 behinds 10 kicks 16 handballs 26 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 71 dream team points
James Munro 9 kicks 11 handballs 20 disposals 11 tackles 93 dream team points
Harvey Neocleous 1 goal 1 behind 5 kicks 5 handballs 10 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 42 dream team points
Josh Schache 3 goals 9 kicks 7 handballs 16 disposals 7 marks 2 tackles 6 hit outs 92 dream team points
Oliver Sestan 1 goal 1 behind 9 kicks 2 handballs 11 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 40 dream team points
Miles Shepherd 1 goal 7 kicks 1 handballs 8 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 52 dream team points
Tom Sheridan 3 goals 1 behind 7 kicks 7 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 62 dream team points
Deaykin Smith 5 kicks 10 handballs 15 disposals 5 marks 4 tackles 63 dream team points
Roan Steele 11 kicks 11 handballs 22 disposals 7 marks 2 tackles 84 dream team points
Daniel Turner 12 kicks 3 handballs 15 disposals 4 marks 4 tackles 71 dream team points
Ryan Valentine 1 goal 7 kicks 5 handballs 12 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 3 hit outs 60 dream team points

6EB983E1-0C77-4BC6-9A6E-CEE502961F32.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 2

Oliver Sestan is an intriguing prospect. Unlike many recruits, he’s not a product of the system and accordingly, has to be trained up to fit in to what’s required to succeed. I hope he learns quickly but never loses the individuality of being who he is. The game needs its star players but it also needs characters.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Apocalypse XXXI said:

Oliver Sestan is an intriguing prospect. Unlike many recruits, he’s not a product of the system and accordingly, has to be trained up to fit in to what’s required to succeed. I hope he learns quickly but never loses the individuality of being who he is. The game needs its star players but it also needs characters.

Don't underestimate this goal.

The clean pick up in [censored] conditions and then ability to just casually snap it around the corner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

55 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

What’s happened to Trent Burgoyne?

If Round 1 was anything to go off I suspect he just hasn't made the team. Casey have some good players and his Round 1 performance didn't demand selection.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

10 hours ago, deespicable me said:

Hopefully  Taj Woewodin can get back from injury soon. I think he's got a lot of potential but if he doesn't get a bit of luck and get on the park he won't have a career any more.

Jumping the gun maybe....🤔

• Like 4

On 4/9/2023 at 4:57 PM, Maldonboy38 said:

If players like Laurie, Turner, Howes and AMW don't get much of a go at AFL level soon, we will lose some of them. They all look ready to step up, but other players are in front of them. And I love the look of Jefferson.

Please name who Laurie D.Turner Howes and AMW are going to replace in the seniors ?

Laurie for Bowey ?

Disco  for  Stephan May?

Howes for Ed Langdon?

AMW for ANB ?

Satisfied that all will be well if these changes are made on the next round or two.

Edited by 58er
  • Shocked 1

On 4/9/2023 at 6:52 PM, MadAsHell said:

Another solid win from Casey today, quite similar to last week against Sydney after a slow start, they were able to wrestle the match back onto their terms and come away with what was a comfortable win.  Things of note today.

1. Casey missed Tomlinson's drive off half back and McDonalds marking power across half forward.  Took Casey a while to find their run off half back and Jefferson and Schache didn't have as strong a aerial presence as McDonald did last week, but they found a way in the end.

2. Blake Howes should make his senior debut this year.  Don't think it will be next week or anything, but he's coming along nicely at half back.  Still needs to clean up his disposal a bit, but in the first quarter when Frankston were all over us, Howes and Moniz-Wakefield were the reason that we didn't find ourselves further behind.

3. I like the look of Frankston's skipper Will Fordham.  Spent a few years on North's rookie list back in 2015/16/17, then played some local footy and has been at Frankston the last few years.  Shows some pretty good skills and spread well from the contest.  With the likely list turn over of someone like Dunstan and question marks of JJ and what he might do as a free agent at seasons end, Fordham could be a potential mature age option for some midfield depth if required.

4. Bacon and egg rolls are still great!

So you would turnover our list JJ at the end of this season for  25/26/27 yo??? in favour of a five year older ( mature age option) prospect in Fordham?  That's exactly how not to build a list at AFL level.

Perhaps  you should look out for a new snack to replace the bacon and egg rolls !! I have heard the 2006 Chicko Roll still has that same flavour and has lasted well for 17 years in the freezer. Grab em while they are still around under Health condition rules!!!

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, 58er said:

So you would turnover our list JJ at the end of this season for  25/26/27 yo??? in favour of a five year older ( mature age option) prospect in Fordham?  That's exactly how not to build a list at AFL level.

Perhaps  you should look out for a new snack to replace the bacon and egg rolls !! I have heard the 2006 Chicko Roll still has that same flavour and has lasted well for 17 years in the freezer. Grab em while they are still around under Health condition rules!!!

Are your eyes painted on or perhaps you just don't understand the English language???

JJ is a free agent and can walk anywhere at seasons end. It's already been reported that he's put contract talks off. If it were up to me I'd sign him up for 2 or 3 years and I'd be playing him ahead of the likes of Sparrow, Harmes and a few others. Not mu decision though, and if he's put contract talks on hold, will be hard for the club to do as well.

IF (want to make sure that's clear for you) JJ walks, the likely delisting of Dunstan and who knows what with Harmes. Then a mature age recruit like Fordham could be worth consideration. 

Or do you pay that little attention that you weren't aware JJ was a free agent or that Harmes isn't playing??🙄

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Good god do you ever take the time to go over your response before hitting send? 

Not only has the point completely over your head by a fair margin but you've just followed up with complete dribble.

Have another go.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 58er said:

Please name who Laurie D.Turner Howes and AMW are going to replace in the seniors ?

Laurie for Bowey ?

Disco  for  Stephan May?

Howes for Ed Langdon?

AMW for ANB ?

Satisfied that all will be well if these changes are made on the next round or two.

None of these changes will happen in a month of Sundays!