Welcome to Demonland Matthew Jefferson

Supreme_Demon

I think he has really improved lately and seems to be gaining more confidence in himself. At one stage against Coburg near the boundary he took off with the ball, looked over his shoulder to see a defender bearing down on him, put on the afterburners and fended him off, and ran towards goal and tried a banana/check side shot which didnt quite come off.  He flew for a few marks but still may not be quite there physically to drag them in....but I believe it's coming.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2024 at 12:59, Demon Disciple said:

Not ready yet physically. Needs a big off season working on his strength and stamina

Probably agree, but I am convinced he would do better than the 2 possessions Petty got, with one being a Joe the Goose.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

Probably agree, but I am convinced he would do better than the 2 possessions Petty got, with one being a Joe the Goose.

He probably would be better. Without knowing him, he looks a real confidence player, I would lock him in against North in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

How could you trust the club to bring him in at the right time anyway? Tholstrup was clearly not ready, lost count the amount of times they’ve brought players straight back into the 1’s after a long injury for zero impact, Spargo’s selection was baffling in Round 0, and they’re playing Petty and Mcadam who are clearly unfit and needed more time at Casey. Selection’s all over the shop 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1

On 03/06/2024 at 11:54, SPC said:

Warming up to him, but not Kings Birthday.. feel like I’ve seen that movie before.. 

I never suggested that.  

• Like 1

On 03/06/2024 at 12:00, Moonshadow said:

Don't think he'd be matched against those you name, at least not for a while. He'd be more likely to get 2nd or 3rd tall defender. I think JVR and Petty would get those guys

Dazzle hasn’t read my post properly. Said he would be on a Third defender. Most others misread it as well. 

• Like 1

On 01/06/2024 at 21:59, Demon Disciple said:

Not ready yet physically. Needs a big off season working on his strength and stamina

Read my article, stand by it while all you say is he must reach xxx kg before we pick him. 

That’s not and never has worked. When he shows enough ability to deserve an AFL opportunity he will deserve it.  He will be coping with heavier opponents but his skill marking and placement away from a key post will give him a chance. 

• Like 1

On 02/06/2024 at 12:03, dazzledavey36 said:

As a tall key forward, physical development is absolutely necessary in today's game. Imagine when Jefferson comes up against Sam Taylor, Harris Andrews and Jacob Weitering, he'd get physical monstered.

A winger or outside player in Windsor case can get away with a smaller frame because they're not smack bang right in the middle of the contested work so obviously they're not copping the big hits and one on one duels like key forward/defenders do.

Jefferson is still a long way off it from a physical sense. Talent us there but.

I think you have hit it there DD. Dont select him where he will be physically monstered. And if he is physically monstered teammates must stand up and remonstrate even if it means loss of focus and even the match.

Match ups are so important and judicious use of the bench to gain an advantage or limit a damaging opponent is a real art.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 02/06/2024 at 04:03, dazzledavey36 said:

As a tall key forward, physical development is absolutely necessary in today's game. Imagine when Jefferson comes up against Sam Taylor, Harris Andrews and Jacob Weitering, he'd get physical monstered.

A winger or outside player in Windsor case can get away with a smaller frame because they're not smack bang right in the middle of the contested work so obviously they're not copping the big hits and one on one duels like key forward/defenders do.

Jefferson is still a long way off it from a physical sense. Talent is there but.

For a start, he would only play on those best Defenders if he was our best key forward.

He is a long way off that.

On the other hand I think you could be reasonably confident he would get more than 2 possies if he was given an AFL game.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

On 04/06/2024 at 08:05, Jeremy said:

How could you trust the club to bring him in at the right time anyway? Tholstrup was clearly not ready, lost count the amount of times they’ve brought players straight back into the 1’s after a long injury for zero impact, Spargo’s selection was baffling in Round 0, and they’re playing Petty and Mcadam who are clearly unfit and needed more time at Casey. Selection’s all over the shop 

In terms of debuting too early I can't remember that really since Jack Watts.  Tholstrup in the first Q in his debut showed loads of energy, more than most that night, though didn't keep it up.  He was far from worst and IMVHO was stiff to be dropped from a poor team performance, especially as (it is said) Goody doesn't usually drop after one game.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

In terms of debuting too early I can't remember that really since Jack Watts.  Tholstrup in the first Q in his debut showed loads of energy, more than most that night, though didn't keep it up.  He was far from worst and IMVHO was stiff to be dropped from a poor team performance, especially as (it is said) Goody doesn't usually drop after one game.

Kolt wouldn't have played if Kozy wasn't suspended. Seemed like a positional, rather than Casey form selection. And Kozy returned, so he was dropped. I really don't think it had anything to do with not being ready. Goody as done the same to Tomlinson. Dropped him even after decent games. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redleg said:

For a start, he would only play on those best Defenders if he was our best key forward.

He is a long way off that.

On the other hand I think you could be reasonably confident he would get more than 2 possies if he was given an AFL game.

'Red' at some stage throughout the game, he will have to stand alongside those big key defenders. 

This isn't the 90's where we've got Carey vs Jakovich for 120 minutes of the game.

With how the zone defence is played in today's game and Jefferson being a key tall there will be certainly in stages of game where guys like Taylor, Weitering and even a Sam Collins will have to man Jefferson.  On size and strength along Jefferson would be monsterd.

If he is able to keep up his good form in thr VFL then I think we'd be silly not to at least consider later on the year. He's got natural forward craft where as Turner and Petty don't.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

The biggest current issue for Jefferson's development is the logjam of KPFs at Casey: BB, Fullarton, Schache and now Kentfield, and with Melksham to return soon.

I'm not lamenting the big picture, after last year's unfortunate lack of KPF in finals due to injury I can understand he FD overcompensating. I'm fully behind having developing KPF in the hopper - as I've posted elsewhere, we need one of Jefferson, Verrall or Kentfield to make it and that doesn't feel like too many candidates.

BB and Schache will be gone next year which will solve this issue, but right now there's a glut. We should play Schache in the backline, Fullarton can support Verrall in the ruck. It would probably be ideal if BB pulled the pin but I think that's unlikely.

Edited by old55
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'll come out of Hiatus for one and only one post on this.

DON'T DO IT GOODY, NOT THIS WEEK!!

I watched him very closely yesterday and he played an excellent game. He knows where to run, clunks marks and yesterday just could not miss with his laser like kicks for goal. I would be very tempted to play him week after Brisbane, vs West Coast but DONT be tempted this week Simon. Stick with Bailey hairstyle and The Heartbreaker, (even though both are playing terribly and should be dropped) if you must, but I'll tell you something else, This kid will be a better long term player than either of them, GOSPEL !!! Also memo, AMW Is good to go NOW, should have been played WEEKS ago, got some mongrel and skills, excellent mover. Finally  Fullarton. Mc Adams, and Billings why did we recruit them??? Laurie will also struggle to make it. Verall might. Kentfield is a long way of but with a solid preseason who knows, Shache?? sorry gives little. So cupboard is a little bare at present!

End of rant for another period of time!

Don't play Jeffo this week Goody that's all I gots to say!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

I'd like to see Jeffo get a game this year at some point to get a taste

I'm glad to hear he is progressing well.  Him and JVR could be a nice combo in a couple of years

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I watched him very closely yesterday and he played an excellent game. He knows where to run, clunks marks and yesterday just could not miss with his laser like kicks for goal. I would be very tempted to play him week after Brisbane, vs West Coast but DONT be tempted this week Simon. Stick with Bailey hairstyle and The Heartbreaker if you must, but I'll tell you something else, This kid will be a better long term player than either of them, GOSPEL !!! Also memo, AMW Is good to go NOW, should have been played WEEKS ago, got some mongrel and skills, excellent mover. Finally  Fullarton. Mc Adams, and Billings why did we recruit them??? Laurie will also struggle to make it. Verall might. Kentfield is a long way of but with a solid preseason who knows, Shache?? sorry gives little. So cupboard is a little bare at present!

Re: Fullarton i think we all need to remember what was said when we drafted him in

“We’re really hopeful Tom’s got a lot of development in him," Lamb told AFL Trade Radio. 

“As the year sort of rolled on we thought we might need some backup in that area of the ground.”

Hopeful development and back up! 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I watched him very closely yesterday and he played an excellent game. He knows where to run, clunks marks and yesterday just could not miss with his laser like kicks for goal. I would be very tempted to play him week after Brisbane, vs West Coast but DONT be tempted this week Simon. Stick with Bailey hairstyle and The Heartbreaker, (even though both are playing terribly and should be dropped) if you must, but I'll tell you something else, This kid will be a better long term player than either of them, GOSPEL !!! Also memo, AMW Is good to go NOW, should have been played WEEKS ago, got some mongrel and skills, excellent mover. Finally  Fullarton. Mc Adams, and Billings why did we recruit them??? Laurie will also struggle to make it. Verall might. Kentfield is a long way of but with a solid preseason who knows, Shache?? sorry gives little. So cupboard is a little bare at present!

now i kinda want him to play this week

• Haha 8

I’m thrilled with his development. If you watch the replay of his highlights from the weekend his timing coming back at the ball carrier is excellent.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that when not battling it out with Brown and Schache he looks more comfortable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

'Knows where to run'

Can't believe I'm saying this but we need that badly right now.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

The ONLY reason not to play Jefferson this week is because he’ll be demolished by Andrews and set back 6 months in his development 

Edited by joeboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, joeboy said:

The ONLY reason not to play Jefferson this week is because he’ll be demolished by Andrews and set back 6 months in his development 

Not if Petty plays deep and say Jeffo kept leading up the ground.

Andrews would then take Petty.

Btw I am not advocating for Jeffo this week, but if we are out of the finals race, I am sure he will get a game or two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, layzie said:

'Knows where to run'

Can't believe I'm saying this but we need that badly right now.

We're regularly having low disposal games from forwards - pretty much everyone has fallen victim to it this season, some repeatedly. 

Would love someone smarter than me to pin point it.

• Midfield game plan?
  • Midfield disposal efficiency issue?
  • Playing people in forwardline w/o the nous for it?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Well I wrote the kid off so hopefully I'm wrong........jeez that's very very rare though 😆

Chris from Camberwell didn't write him off.

He's been signing from the rafters on Jeffo, hopefully he's right.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joeboy said:

We all get nervous about young, first rounder key position forwards making their debut. It's because of Jack Watts. I get it.

His development shouldn't get set back 6 months if he is beaten. It should accelerate it. He'll have a better idea of what AFL footy looks like and what he needs to do in the offseason to get ready for AFL footy.

Petty had a bad debut against St Kilda. It's the worst debut i've ever seen. Reckon he learned from it? Absolutely, a few years later he was a crucial pillar of a premiership winning defence.

Jye Amiss was dropped after his debut game for Freo. He's going alright now.

Maybe we don't play him yet while finals are still a chance. But if a few more weeks and losses come to us, then we really should be giving him a go before the season ends. If he plays and gets beaten and it hurts him that badly that it hurts his development, then perhaps he shouldn't be playing AFL at all.

Edited by seventyfour
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1