Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Welcome to Demonland Matthew Jefferson


Supreme_Demon
 Share


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Willy's Warriors said:

I think a lot of the concerns over Jefferson's height and weight are overblown.

195cm and 84kg isn't that small.  By comparison: 

- Jeremy Cameron was 196cm and 86kg (https://www.afl.com.au/news/58887/jeremy-cameron) on his draft night; 
- Lance Franklin was 197cm and under 90kg on his draft night (https://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/combine/results-2004.htm)  
- Jedd Busslinger (pick 13 from this draft) is 196cm and 83kg and Cadman (pick 1) is 195cm and 92kg.  
- Sam Darcy (pick 2 from 2021) was 204cm and 75kg on draft night; Mac Andrew (pick 5) was 200cm and 70kg; Josh Gibcus (pick 9) was 196cm and 87kg (see https://www.afl.com.au/news/685788/cal-twomey-s-phantom-form-guide-top-draft-prospects-october-ranking); 
- Jamarra (pick 1 from 2020) was 195cm and 90kg; Riley Thilthorpe (pick 2) was 201cm and 100kg; Logan McDonald was 196cm and 86kg (pick 4); and Denver Grainger-Barrass was 195kg and 78 kg (pick 6) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/527263/cal-twomeys-2020-phantom-draft-top-30-your-clubs-whispers). 

195cm and 84kg seems about right for a key forward in the top 10-15 range.  Looks like forwards with a more developed body usually get taken very early (Cadman, Jamarra, Thilthorpe). 

Jefferson will need time to fill out (as all key position players do).  Even Cadman is unlikely to make a huge impact next year.  That's unfortunate, as we really need another KPF to cover Brown and McDonald (or, even better, complement them).   

I don't think there are many better options available, sadly.  Its hard and expensive to get a genuinely talented KPF on the open market, so you're left with people like Dan McStay or Rory Lobb who are expensive and haven't kicked more than 30 goals in a season. 

It looks like we might have been interested in Humphrey as a tough half forward who is likely to be ready earlier, but that didn't pan out. 

In the circumstances, picking Jefferson may not be ideal, as we will have to wait until he's ready, which won't be next year.  Still, I think its probably the best thing we could have done.  Him and JVR could be the foundation of future success, even if they don't win us a flag next year. 

 

While  respect your opinion and agree to some degree it's the total forward Lind that matters. Tmac Will if fit open the ways for the mids and smalls and JVR is a very crafty player for his weight and size. He is no one trick pony gets goals from different ways and is a team player.

BBB May be fit and we have our best furwards in Fritta and Kossie who are kicking nearly 100 goals between themselves. 

 Faster game plan and better passing will assist us I believe Harry Petty should be tried at CHF or FF. 

We can definitely win the Flag in 2023 as little things didn't go our way in 2022.

we have some potential players who may be ready for AFL also. 

We are one if the teams that can bridge the gap and beat the Cats at our best. 
 

  • Like 3
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Willy's Warriors said:

I think a lot of the concerns over Jefferson's height and weight are overblown.

195cm and 84kg isn't that small.  By comparison: 

- Jeremy Cameron was 196cm and 86kg (https://www.afl.com.au/news/58887/jeremy-cameron) on his draft night; 
- Lance Franklin was 197cm and under 90kg on his draft night (https://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/combine/results-2004.htm)  
- Jedd Busslinger (pick 13 from this draft) is 196cm and 83kg and Cadman (pick 1) is 195cm and 92kg.  
- Sam Darcy (pick 2 from 2021) was 204cm and 75kg on draft night; Mac Andrew (pick 5) was 200cm and 70kg; Josh Gibcus (pick 9) was 196cm and 87kg (see https://www.afl.com.au/news/685788/cal-twomey-s-phantom-form-guide-top-draft-prospects-october-ranking); 
- Jamarra (pick 1 from 2020) was 195cm and 90kg; Riley Thilthorpe (pick 2) was 201cm and 100kg; Logan McDonald was 196cm and 86kg (pick 4); and Denver Grainger-Barrass was 195kg and 78 kg (pick 6) (https://www.afl.com.au/news/527263/cal-twomeys-2020-phantom-draft-top-30-your-clubs-whispers). 

195cm and 84kg seems about right for a key forward in the top 10-15 range.  Looks like forwards with a more developed body usually get taken very early (Cadman, Jamarra, Thilthorpe). 

Jefferson will need time to fill out (as all key position players do).  Even Cadman is unlikely to make a huge impact next year.  That's unfortunate, as we really need another KPF to cover Brown and McDonald (or, even better, complement them).   

I don't think there are many better options available, sadly.  Its hard and expensive to get a genuinely talented KPF on the open market, so you're left with people like Dan McStay or Rory Lobb who are expensive and haven't kicked more than 30 goals in a season. 

It looks like we might have been interested in Humphrey as a tough half forward who is likely to be ready earlier, but that didn't pan out. 

In the circumstances, picking Jefferson may not be ideal, as we will have to wait until he's ready, which won't be next year.  Still, I think its probably the best thing we could have done.  Him and JVR could be the foundation of future success, even if they don't win us a flag next year. 

 

Thanks Willy I appreciate those stats I imagine that all tallish recruits are put on specialist diets and a rigorous strengthening regime to help them get the most out of their opportunities. It will be interesting to see how Jefferson, Adams, Verral and Kyah progress over the next 12-18 months.!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


23 hours ago, 58er said:

1,2,3,or4.!!!!!!!

Any other questions?

How many Flags will he play in at Melb. ?

Anything to oblige a fan.

Whats jeffos height, weight and how tall is he?

Do you think he looks taller in imperial or metric measurements?

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Willy's Warriors said:

I don't think there are many better options available, sadly.  Its hard and expensive to get a genuinely talented KPF on the open market, so you're left with people like Dan McStay or Rory Lobb who are expensive and haven't kicked more than 30 goals in a season. 

Well thought out post overall.

Lobb actually kicked 36 goals this year and must have been heavily considered by our club (prior to settling on Grundy) as a very solid forward/ruck option given T Mac had a serious foot injury, Jackson was half way out the door and BBB had a poor year and has a chronic knee issue. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Jefferson looks like a natural footballer with good instincts. Will be a gun player.

No pressure on the lad - maybe "could well be a gun player" would be a better way of putting it, if all falls into place physically and mentally.

Over the years I have heard so many time "..x.. will be a gun".   Rarely can one tell so soon - Petracca and Oliver being very obvious exceptions from day 1.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, monoccular said:

No pressure on the lad - maybe "could well be a gun player" would be a better way of putting it, if all falls into place physically and mentally.

Over the years I have heard so many time "..x.. will be a gun".   Rarely can one tell so soon - Petracca and Oliver being very obvious exceptions from day 1.

Will be a gun player 😜

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


True JimmyG but keep in mind that Jeffo starred against players in his own age group so our dieticians and fitness staff will be working overtime to build up Jefferson, Addams, Verral and Kyah and top up Rooey for 2023. These boys are out future but you can’t put limitations on them either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

Who would you have picked?

Its irrelevant but I would say the club was actively trying to climb up the draft order because the players like Phillipou were significantly better.

I saw nothing in his highlights or other clips that demonstrated any aggression or physicality. He looks like a nice schoolboy player. And aggression and physicality IMO can't be taught or learned. A bit like Weid.

Cant think of one successful KPP that doesn't have it. So I would say the odds are against him being the one to do it.

  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Its irrelevant but I would say the club was actively trying to climb up the draft order because the players like Phillipou were significantly better.

I saw nothing in his highlights or other clips that demonstrated any aggression or physicality. He looks like a nice schoolboy player. And aggression and physicality IMO can't be taught or learned. A bit like Weid.

Cant think of one successful KPP that doesn't have it. So I would say the odds are against him being the one to do it.

I think it was more so for Bailey Humphrey's. 

I'm the bit the same. He certainly shows some talent and I'm slowly starting to maybe come around to him, but I'm not fully sold.

He's years away from at least competing physically with the bigger defenders of the game.

I honestly see him as the Jack Watts floating 3rd tall and not the key position forward some are hoping for.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I saw nothing in his highlights or other clips that demonstrated any aggression or physicality. He looks like a nice schoolboy player. And aggression and physicality IMO can't be taught or learned. A bit like Weid.

Cant think of one successful KPP that doesn't have it. So I would say the odds are against him being the one to do it.

I’d argue none of Peter Wright, Harry McKay, Todd Marshall or Mabior Chol demonstrated more that rarest occasion of aggression or physicality until they were 22-23 years old. Now they are some of the best key forwards in the game.

Jefferson reads the flight and attacks the ball in the air strongly, once he gets stronger that can be developed to attacking those in the way too. 

It would be nice if he did have a natural inclination for crunching bodies but if he works hard and is resilient there’s no reason he can’t develop that to a decent level.

I’m actually more concerned he doesn’t have the athleticism, skills or height to become a really potent weapon. Given many talls are now closing in on 2m and have agility and/or pace like midfielders it’s harder going if you don’t have a weapon like that.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’d argue none of Peter Wright, Harry McKay, Todd Marshall or Mabior Chol demonstrated more that rarest occasion of aggression or physicality until they were 22-23 years old. Now they are some of the best key forwards in the game.

Jefferson reads the flight and attacks the ball in the air strongly, once he gets stronger that can be developed to attacking those in the way too. 

It would be nice if he did have a natural inclination for crunching bodies but if he works hard and is resilient there’s no reason he can’t develop that to a decent level.

I’m actually more concerned he doesn’t have the athleticism, skills or height to become a really potent weapon. Given many talls are now closing in on 2m and have agility and/or pace like midfielders it’s harder going if you don’t have a weapon like that.

 

Fritta says hi! And a Ridiculous comment.

in football it takes all different sizes and skills to be successful. Some have brawn snd physical presence a la Tommy Hawkins. Others have quick movement great athleticism like Jeremy Cameron.

Tom Lynch is a great mark has height and is a great lead. Tmac uses his body and provides a role for marking and assisting his smaller teammates.kick goals. Lastly Fritta is a medium who has exsquisite skills and X factor ball attack both in the air or on the ground.

I say MJ has some Fritta skills is the best mark due to his hands and great skill in picking up flight of the ball and has the ability to get goals in different ways.This will happen either ways whether he is a KPF or second or third forward as he is a good footballer in with some other class goal kickers. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2022 at 5:09 PM, Ugottobekidding said:

I can remember those against recruiting Fritch. 

"Cale Morton comparisons, jack watts 2.0, too skinny, too slow. Hard to see where he will fit into the side."

Recruiting him was a deesaster for the Bulldogs.

 

 

Fritsch had outstanding form at Casey. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I just rewatched these two highlights clips purely for their marks, for someone who apparently shows no physicality Jefferson seems to not only throw himself into marking contests, also reads the flight of the ball well and uses his leap and body to protect the ball drop and take countless contested marks. Cadman also takes some nice contested marks but doesn’t seem to have the leap or aerial attributes that Jefferson does. They are clearly two different types of forwards. I will be watching both careers with great interest.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are both mobile with great hands, Cadman looks slightly ahead build wise but both players read the play so well. Jeffo needs 6kg this pre-season and another 6-8 over the 2023 season and watch out.!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeZone said:

They are both mobile with great hands, Cadman looks slightly ahead build wise but both players read the play so well. Jeffo needs 6kg this pre-season and another 6-8 over the 2023 season and watch out.!!

Jefferson is slightly taller and, at 18 years old, still has the capacity to grow a few centimetres.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeeZone said:

They are both mobile with great hands, Cadman looks slightly ahead build wise but both players read the play so well. Jeffo needs 6kg this pre-season and another 6-8 over the 2023 season and watch out.!!

Jeffer has already gone from 76 to 84 kg now and is 195/6 cm. May be Behind Cadman now but I don't think there will be much between the two when both are another pre  season. Both have enough natural ability to develop and use their skills early in their careers and Jeffer will be playing with some classy other forwards snd Cad's mates at Notth aren't too shabby.   MJ should get more opportunities when he breaks into the AFL team due to our superior mids and team stats. 
Meanwhile this MJ hype is allowing JVR to start to build up nicely and quietly without any pressure yet. L

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Jeffer has already gone from 76 to 84 kg now and is 195/6 cm. May be Behind Cadman now but I don't think there will be much between the two when both are another pre  season. Both have enough natural ability to develop and use their skills early in their careers and Jeffer will be playing with some classy other forwards snd Cad's mates at Notth aren't too shabby.   MJ should get more opportunities when he breaks into the AFL team due to our superior mids and team stats. 
Meanwhile this MJ hype is allowing JVR to start to build up nicely and quietly without any pressure yet. L

Cadman is at GWS.

But if we continue with our game style of kicking it into the forward pocket on top of our key forwards head, then Jefferson will find it tough. There is no evidence of  our superior mids giving our key forwards silver service. In fact Nick Larkey at North had it easier than our key forwards.

  • Like 4
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Cadman is at GWS.

But if we continue with our game style of kicking it into the forward pocket on top of our key forwards head, then Jefferson will find it tough. There is no evidence of  our superior mids giving our key forwards silver service. In fact Nick Larkey at North had it easier than our key forwards.

We manage to hit Fritsch on the chest multiple times a game, perhaps it is a leading/spacing issue with our forwards as much as a delivery issue?

Edited by adonski
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Wednesday 1st February 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT REHAB  Clarry, Max, Farris-White, Melky, Matt Jefferson, Jakey Lever, Joel Smith & 1 Other I couldn't place. Glad to see the Club being ultra cautious with Clarry's thumb BUT the fact he is still troubled with it is worrying (God I hate Selwood) Got there at 10.50 to see Full match Simulation Game between the Blues and the Whites. Quite clearly the Blues were the A Team and the Whites were the possibles. Some interesting faces in the white Team h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    DEMONLAND’S TRAINING REPORT Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jord

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...