Adam Tomlinson on the move?

dazzledavey36

20 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

If he managed to pull a ANB/TMac and come back and win his spot back it could be a very different look forward with Petty, JVR and a fully fit Gawn all potentially forward.

On this, believe he's been told Petty's move forward is his potential in, although you'd think Disco is a head of him in the pecking order at this stage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

AFL player agent Brett Deledio says his client Adam Tomlinson is willing to move from Melbourne in search of senior opportunities elsewhere.

Tomlinson, 29, has a year remaining on his contract with the Demons but played only eight games in 2022, featuring 14 times in Casey’s VFL premiership campaign.

Well confusion reigns, as article says he has one year left. That could be extended to say 2 years at $350k each, instead of one at $500k and he is a pretty handy pick up for a side with key defender needs.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

46 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I reckon he would do 3 years at $400k each.

So if we picked up $300k over that period the recipient club would be paying $300k per year and would release around $700k salary cap space over the next two years.

Makes sense

PS Hold on...he only has one year ????

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

So if we picked up $300k over that period the recipient club would be paying $300k per year and would release around $700k salary cap space over the next two years.

Makes sense

PS Hold on...he only has one year ????

My post above yours said he was on $500k with one year to go and I suggested 2 years at say $350k being $700k, which would be fair for a key Defender.

2 hours ago, Davos said:

On this, believe he's been told Petty's move forward is his potential in, although you'd think Disco is a head of him in the pecking order at this stage.

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

So you know for a fact Petty's moving forward? Feels unlikely that that's true

1 hour ago, Billy said:

If Petty moves forward great, but Tomlinson is nowhere near good enough to play Petty’s role in defence 

56 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Got to ask the questions

Source... or more so, context of source...

goodwindees posted about 5 weeks prior to the end of our season that he had heard Petty could go forward and Tomlinson or Turner would take his place

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Sounds like we've floated him and no club is interested. We'll have to cop his 500k a year salary for another two seasons for a player playing VFL.

He came on a 4 year contract and has played 3, that leaves 1 year doesn't it?

6 minutes ago, Redleg said:

He came on a 4 year contract and has played 3, that leaves 1 year doesn't it?

🖊🗒 ⚖️ 📐.... 📟... Carry the 1

https://www.afl.com.au/news/52273/inaugural-giant-joins-dees-as-free-agent-compensation-revealed

️ 5 year deal

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dees-nab-tomlinson-in-giant-trade-20191007-p52ygs.html

🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

I’d personally love to see Petty played as a forward and Tomlinson step in to fill his role. It should’ve happened late last year when we were crying out for someone to be a target in the forward line. I like Goody, but his lack of outside the box thinking until 3min to go in our season cost us big time. 

• Thanks 1

I'm all for Petty playing forward, i reckon with Tommo slotting into CHB and Gawn and Grundy providing extra cover in the air we don't lose all that much and Petty could totally change the look of our forward line. i'd also suggest JVR will play a lot of senior footy next year down there. for me he's already gone past Ben Brown and Sam Weideman 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

not to worry

last year it was Smith forward

i don't know why we don't just try tomlinson there! he's the one who cant get into the side anyway! time to reinvent himself!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Turner said:

i don't know why we don't just try tomlinson there! he's the one who cant get into the side anyway! time to reinvent himself!!

You realise you are prolonging the debate with this post 🤣

Petty is far better in the air than Tomlinson and if it works could be a 10 year forward. Tomlinson has been solid but is never going to be a match winner or a go to target. Petty has the potential to be.

I still think JVR is our main hope there but Petty should be given a taste up forward at least occasionally, even if just to mix things up a little. We need a plan B up our sleeve to use before a game is already lost.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes I thought Dees might look to grab one of the Kangas “compo” picks. Unfortunately the only two with bargaining chips we can look at are Bedford or Tomlinson.  Their appetite to move is depending on

- how the relationship is with the coach (given they got quickly flicked to Casey, whilst others were consistently non performing) 

and/or

-whether they and their manager think they get more games and game time elsewhere.  

Tomlinson stepped up easily when we were without May or Petty. He played good games but was put back to Casey once May-Petty returned.  He allows Lever to play as a 3rd tall and intercept player. If Lever has to pickup the 2nd best defender, then he’s less effective.  Tomlinson offers high quality backup and owned games back at Casey.  If he’s not in Goodys favourites list, it’s very disappointing but he might as well look elsewhere.   

I'd like to keep him through the off-season to see how his injuries repair - but that is a luxury we potentially cannot afford or have the tolerance for in the first place. He is worthy backup, as generally stated, as a defender. Very handy. My other concern is that I was most impressed with his early work on the wing in a side that was settling and tended to overlook his metre-age gains across matches. He did find considerable space, considerably often yet the long bomb syndrome cruelled this advantage. Should his injuries hold up or perhaps present no major problems for the incoming season, he could be a useful winger once again where we lack genuine options to field two mobile flankers. His backline experience would do wonders for the 1-on-1 and congested engagements, and I would be fairly certain that his space-making could return to better advantage than previously once our game plans were a little 'more grown up' in terms of attacking, forward entries.