Jump to content

Adam Tomlinson on the move?


dazzledavey36

Recommended Posts

I would like to try Petty forward and Tommo back at some point but I'm not convinced that Tommo would offer half of what Petty does down back. I like what Tommo does and he can lock down and spoil well but a lot of people are judging him on the 6 good games he played last year and suggesting the swap would be like for like.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think AT may be behind petty and turner for a gig, and even Smith might be favoured for certain roles.  If he gets no takers this time around, he can work his butt off to get back in front of them, where he thinks he belongs.  I like him and would love to see him at his best for us.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, layzie said:

I would like to try Petty forward and Tommo back at some point but I'm not convinced that Tommo would offer half of what Petty does down back. I like what Tommo does and he can lock down and spoil well but a lot of people are judging him on the 6 good games he played last year and suggesting the swap would be like for like.  

If we're going on amount of games, then Tomlinson is a better back than Petty is a forward.

For mine, Tommo isn't and wouldn't have to be as good as Petty in the backline, we have May, Lever, Salem, Bowey, Hibberd, Rivers etc all around him so he just has to play the role well enough and those guys can provide the top quality.

Aside from the reach he has, I think Petty going forward gives us better pressure and intensity inside 50 as well, and that will actually help the backline. All that adds up to absolutely worth trying in my book.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

If we're going on amount of games, then Tomlinson is a better back than Petty is a forward.

For mine, Tommo isn't and wouldn't have to be as good as Petty in the backline, we have May, Lever, Salem, Bowey, Hibberd, Rivers etc all around him so he just has to play the role well enough and those guys can provide the top quality.

Aside from the reach he has, I think Petty going forward gives us better pressure and intensity inside 50 as well, and that will actually help the backline. All that adds up to absolutely worth trying in my book.

I would definitely like to see it given a go. I do think the jury is still out on Tommo keeping that back 6 as strong as it has been but I would definitely like to try it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, layzie said:

I would definitely like to see it given a go. I do think the jury is still out on Tommo keeping that back 6 as strong as it has been but I would definitely like to try it. 

No argument Petty>Tommo. Think it'll just come down to the balance between the loss in defence vs the gain in attack.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tomlinson is a very good backup to May and Petty. I know it’s an expensive plan B but goodie’s got to live with his recruitment decision.  Tomlinson played good footy as a key defender/key forward and never really as the “wingman” that we were told he would become.  I’d definitely see how Tomlinson goes at a key forward or try Petty forward with Tomlinson to slot in down back. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Tomlinson is far from a spent force. He mightn't pull much interest from other clubs, but he progressed steadily from that ACL to the point where he was on the verge of a recall. His dominance at VFL level confirms his worth. He is ready to go if injury or player movements open up a tall defender opportunity in the next three years. I'd be happy to see him on our list over that time span.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I'm all for Petty playing forward, i reckon with Tommo slotting into CHB and Gawn and Grundy providing extra cover in the air we don't lose all that much and Petty could totally change the look of our forward line. i'd also suggest JVR will play a lot of senior footy next year down there. for me he's already gone past Ben Brown and Sam Weideman 

TMac will come back and JVR will play round 1. So as much as I like the idea of Petty fwd it wont be standard fare week in week out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

TMac will come back and JVR will play round 1. So as much as I like the idea of Petty fwd it wont be standard fare week in week out.

I would agree but saying to Petty - you are now our swing man allows a summer for him to work with the forwards and build some forward craft and learn some basics. That would allow us another option forward knowing he can excel back. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, waynewussell said:

Tomlinson is far from a spent force. He mightn't pull much interest from other clubs, but he progressed steadily from that ACL to the point where he was on the verge of a recall. His dominance at VFL level confirms his worth. He is ready to go if injury or player movements open up a tall defender opportunity in the next three years. I'd be happy to see him on our list over that time span.

He didn't dominate at VFL level, and was underwhelming when he played in the AFL. The club see Turner as the next cab off the rank as a key defender, and rightfully so. And I'd rather rookie Ellison than keep Tomlinson on our list.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, mo64 said:

He didn't dominate at VFL level, and was underwhelming when he played in the AFL. The club see Turner as the next cab off the rank as a key defender, and rightfully so. And I'd rather rookie Ellison than keep Tomlinson on our list.

Tomlinson played some good consistent football at VFL level. IMO he is good back up but is costing too much. 
 

Elison is cheaper and can negate well down back. No point putting all our eggs in one basket with Disco.considering May, Lever and Petty can get injuries. 

Edited by Demonsterative
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you think Tomlinson was good in the VFL this year then you’re outing yourself as not watching Casey.

Did he do good things - yes, plenty. Did he look as stuffed when forced to change direction as he did at afl - yes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, rpfc said:

I would agree but saying to Petty - you are now our swing man allows a summer for him to work with the forwards and build some forward craft and learn some basics. That would allow us another option forward knowing he can excel back. 

I agree. I would be quite disappointed if we didn’t at least try Petty up forward. He could be a threat as a forward imo, and bring better forward pressure at that position, than we currently have.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

If you think Tomlinson was good in the VFL this year then you’re outing yourself as not watching Casey.

Did he do good things - yes, plenty. Did he look as stuffed when forced to change direction as he did at afl - yes.

He was good! as you said, did plenty of good things. Give credit when it’s due to Casey premiership player!! Mobility is an obvious issue for a big dude coming off an ACL. Not sure his mobility was ever that great. Endurance, yes!

Outing? Wasn’t aware there was an AFL closet. 😳

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

He was good! as you said, did plenty of good things. Give credit when it’s due to Casey premiership player!! Mobility is an obvious issue for a big dude coming off an ACL. Not sure his mobility was ever that great. Endurance, yes!

Outing? Wasn’t aware there was an AFL closet. 😳

So Thommo still recovering from Knee injury as well as Bruce although Thommo has a year of recovery over Bruce

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

If you think Tomlinson was good in the VFL this year then you’re outing yourself as not watching Casey.

Did he do good things - yes, plenty. Did he look as stuffed when forced to change direction as he did at afl - yes.

I watched every Casey game and recorded them for my research. Somebody must have been playing well down back! The average score against Casey for home and away, plus finals, was just over 56 points... less than 10 goals! Only one oppo player got off the chain across the season; Evans kicked 5 v Geelong. Only four oppo players managed 3 goals against Casey across the rest of the season. In 5 games the highest opposition goalkicker was a single goal!

I think Tomlinson played 14 games for Casey. In those outings he was the Rock around which the full defence was built. Undervaluing his contribution to the VFL Premiership is mean spirited! Should he be kept on the list? Should he be playing for an AFL club in 2023? Time will tell, but his form in 2022 was solid.

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Who would have thought?    Collingwood had a depleted side with several star players out injured, Max Gawn was in stellar form, Christian Petracca at the top of his game and Simon Goodwin was about to pull off a masterstroke in setting Alex Neal-Bullen onto him to do a fantastic job in subduing the Magpies' best player. Goody had his charges primed to respond robustly to the challenge of turning around their disappointing performance against Fremantle in Alice Springs. And if not that, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 7

    TURNAROUND by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons won their first game at home this year in the traditional King’s Birthday Weekend clash with Collingwood VFL on Sunday in a dramatic turnaround on recent form that breathed new life into the beleaguered club’s season. The Demons led from the start to record a 52-point victory. It was their highest score and biggest winning margin by far for the 2024 season. Under cloudy but calm conditions for Casey Fields, the home side, wearing the old Springvale guernsey as a mark of res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

    After two disappointing back to back losses the Demons have the bye in Round 14 and then face perennial cellar dweller North Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday night in Round 15. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 110

    PODCAST: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 11th June @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Magpies in the Round 13 on Kings Birthday. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. L

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 35

    VOTES: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jack Viney make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Magpies. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 41

    POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

    Once again inaccuracy and inefficiency going inside 50 rears it's ugly head as the Demons suffered their second loss on the trot and their fourth loss in five games as they go down to the Pies by 38 points on Kings Birthday at the MCG.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 413

    GAMEDAY: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

    It's Game Day and the Demons are once again faced with a classic 8 point game against a traditional rival on King's Birthday at the MCG. A famous victory will see them reclaim a place in the Top 8 whereas a loss will be another blow for their finals credentials.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 941

    BOILED LOLLIES by The Oracle

    In the space of a month Melbourne has gone from chocolates to boiled lollies in terms of its standing as a candidate for the AFL premiership.  The club faces its moment of truth against a badly bruised up Collingwood at the MCG. A win will give it some respite but even then, it won’t be regarded particularly well being against an opponent carrying the burden of an injured playing list. A loss would be a disaster. The Demons have gone from a six/two win/loss ratio and a strong percentag

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 3

    CLEAN HANDS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons headed into town and up Sydney Road to take on the lowly Coburg Lions who have been perennial VFL easy beats and sitting on one win for the season. Last year, Casey beat them in a practice match when resting their AFL listed players. That’s how bad they were. Nobody respected them on Saturday and clearly not the Demons who came to the game with 22 players (ten MFC), but whether they came out to play is another matter because for the most part, their intensity was lacking an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...