POSTMATCH: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

24 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

I thought we got a good run in general

What pisses me right off is the difference in the HtB calls last night vs Coll game - last night was much more reasonable, last week the Umps were far harsher, 2 goals to Coll in particular 

Last night's non call on Silvagni, vs last weeks call against Jordan

Yeah you're not wrong on the Htb inconsistency. We did get a reasonable rub of the green but nothing horrible, mainly 50-50s

1 hour ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Looks like he taps at the ball

Yea he does to bring it to ground so opposition can't mark it. So many can't see what the plan is.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Kozzie kicked that goal because he was positioned where he should be. this is where he needs to be.

Not jumping for hangers or out further on the 50. 

This.

Brown isn’t marking anything atm, yet we don’t have Kozz or spargo at his feet. We have fritsch and melks who yes do an okay job at it but leave it for them, keep them at browns feet 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Looks like he taps at the ball

And that tap-type action only happens 1 in 4 or 1 in 5.  Often when there are multiple defenders in the same contest.  It's like he is treating the situation like a rucking contest

And one arm up only can get to a higher elevation much like how ruckmen go about it

So if he's summed up the situation and then chooses to use his right hand to bring the ball to the front & centre area, then that's smart play.  Especially if he is acting under coaching instructions

Worked to a treat in the last 30 seconds last night.  He made a movement to the side/front of the contested marking situation, got his right hand to the ball ... front & centre to Kossie who kicked the winning goal

Edited by Macca
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Kozzie kicked that goal because he was positioned where he should be. this is where he needs to be.

Not jumping for hangers or out further on the 50. 

It will be worth it when he inevitably takes mark of the century 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched the replay. Couldn’t watch it live. I thought it was a great game. Would have been very hard to watch live. High pressure contests all over the ground all night. The sloppy disposal comes with the style of game it was. Great to see Gawn and Jackson taking marks. I thought the reason Ben brown was going up one handed all night is because Carlton were very good at holding one arm all night. Not just with Ben brown but any chance they could all over the ground. Sneaky good tactic and hard to umpire cause you can barely see it. He took a few good marks when he got a bit of a run at it. We are trending well. They are a good side who gave absolutely everything, which we hopefully might be getting used to. I like that our prep for finals is as hard as it has been. We will be right where we want to be come finals. Geelongs soft run might be a problem for them. The win meant a great deal to them judging by their post game mood. I think we are right in it. I didn’t see the game some on here saw last night. Struggling to see the season being over as some are suggesting.  I saw a very tough game of football and as with last week we are doing a lot right. God it’s good to beat them. I actually like the team they have at the moment, but it’s always about the supporters with the big vic clubs.  Just insufferable. 

• Like 10

I tip my hat to u Melk. 

I certainly didn’t want u in the side and haven’t been a fan for a couple of seasons due to ur poor form but u have reinvented urself, worked ur butt off and are reeking the rewards. 

So happy for you and listening to your interview after the game it’s clear your are very team focused and extremely motivated given you missed out last year. 

I really hope you can end the season on a high. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, mo64 said:

You seem a bit thin skinned. There is nothing wrong with banter or goading the opposition supporters, regardless of where they're sitting. As long as there wasn't incessant swearing, or aggressive behaviour directed at individuals, that sounds like a normal night at the football.

‘Aggressive, and foul mouthed, he was scaring a group of kids who kept looking around nervously at him”.  

The sentence after the one you bonded perhaps answered your question….

• Like 2

I’m gonna buck the trend and say that we won that match in the best possible way. 

Winning clutch-style like that is huge for the team’s confidence, and it’s massively important the boys know how to prevail in that kind of scenario. Finals will be full of tight games. 

• Like 7

I need to say. Any poster who suggests we were not playing to our potential and thus playing poorly   Are entirely dismissive of the ability of Carlton and how hard they were trying to ensure their season. 
they were serious   And the blue baggers websites are quite possibly saying much the same.   They played well. Underestimate our opponents at our peril 

go Dees B2B

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Egg on my face right now. Put my hand up and openly admit I got it wrong with the Melksham selection.

I've bashed him hard this year but the last few weeks he's completely changed his game to the point where he's important member.

Sorry Melky, you were [censored] unreal tonight.

Sane here but he hasn't played like that for eons.

• Like 1

That's our best win for the year easily, the Blues bought the heat and were dog hungry, make no mistake playing like that they beat most sides. 

It is incredibly impressive to bring consistently elite-level pressure against them and grind out a win. we could tidy up our attack, but contest, pressure, and defense were all pretty strong

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dwight Schrute said:

That's our best win for the year easily, the Blues bought the heat and were dog hungry, make no mistake playing like that they beat most sides. 

It is incredibly impressive to bring consistently elite-level pressure against them and grind out a win. we could tidy up our attack, but contest, pressure, and defense were all pretty strong

Really? 

I'd have the Brisbane and Freo games as two that stand out for me personally..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Really? 

I'd have the Brisbane and Freo games as two that stand out for me personally..

I think so, just in terms of the opposition throwing everything at us, Freo and Brisbane weren't desperate or hungry like Carlton were last night. 

• Like 3