Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

Maybe the FD have researched and understood that well north of $1M by 7 years and 2 early 1st rounders for a King brother or McKay is just not feasible and we need to make our bed some other way - $700k and a 2nd rounder for Grundy could be astute business.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That means we're still paying him $700k a year for 5 years? And he's already 29? Nah

Save that money and throw a huge contract at Harry McKay next year.

I would love for that to happen, but in what parallel universe does he leave the Blues as they will be approaching their window soon. It will be interesting to see where De Koning settles into though given they already have McKay and Curnow up front. He has a bit more flare than his brother at the Cats and would for them to give him an opportunity in the forward 50 and let Mckay come to us.

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

Now way any 5 year deal would be "a good deal" given his injury history.  Maybe 3 years with us paying 30%, and the Mugpies paying 70% for the 3 years, then 100% for the final two years after he limps off and away.

What injury history? He got a PCL this year - which was the first time in his career i beleive and its a known ruckman injury. Max had one in 2020. Max has had 2 or 3 knee recos so is much much more injury riddled than Grundy. 

Grundy's most recent injury is an ankle stress fracture  not a foot stress fracture. I'm not sure if there is a difference in prognosis long term but we all know that foot based stress fractures are the ones you need to worry about. 

Just want to set the record straight as many on here seem to think Grundy's body is a liability. I think he has held up pretty well over the years. I have to acknowledge that his form has dropped of since his mega-deal. There could be many reasons for that and i for one believe his duo with Max would be a formidable one - much more impactful than LJ and Gawn.

Edited by CYB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

What drugs are they on? We pay 700 a year AND A FIRST ROUNDER?

lol

gagf

I'll be ropeable if we give up a first rounder. 

Collingwood will walk out with daylight robbery.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

His injury history is playing nearly every game since his second season and only really being injured this year.

Let's not rewrite history.

completely agree, compared to max grundy's never had an injury in his life. gawn at same age tore his hammy from the bone, hasnt seemed to hold him back too much since has it. all he has to do is win us one flag or get us to one grand final and its a success. how the narative and greed shifts after last year. When BBB walked through the door it was we'll take one flag. why should grundy be any different

My first reaction to this was hell no ! And then HELL NO !!! Not that I don't rate Grundy - he's a gun ruck who's had one severe injury. It's more the $$$, the age, the Collingwood factor & a heap of salary cap tied up in two ruckmen. But after rolling it around the grey matter for a while....

This is a contingency plan based on LJ going. It addresses two birds with the one stone

We need another KPF for 2023. Sadly, there are none to be had. McStay is the best available & we have one of those in T-Mac.So there's nothing we can trade in. Looking further there's no way McKay or Curnow will be prised out of Carlton, the Kings are already signed for a few more years and North are not likely to give us another FF. Can't see much else on the horizon.

We'll need a second ruck for 2023. Goody is keen on the two ruck model.

The footy department will have thought this through. They'll have a plan for how they want us to play in 2023. They'll have identified Grundy's role and presented that to him. They'll have explained how this impacts on Max's role which would likely be to spend a lot of time as a key forward and how they will work in tandem. Max is obviously on board as he was in the meeting.

Personally I'm not a fan of Max up forward. I think we become too "Max-centric" at the expense of other, better options. However our captain is something of a freak. Barring his tap work (as he rarely jumps any more) he has managed to improve an aspect of his game pretty much every year. Be it his field kicking, his decision making, his contested marking. Even this year his leading patterns as a forward have improved significantly. So if the big fella wants to spend the summer working on his forward craft with a view to reinventing his 30 year old self as the second coming of a young Paul Salmon, I ain't the one to tell him he can't do it.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Go the Biff said:

Personally I'm not a fan of Max up forward. I think we become too "Max-centric" at the expense of other, better options. However our captain is something of a freak. Barring his tap work (as he rarely jumps any more) he has managed to improve an aspect of his game pretty much every year. Be it his field kicking, his decision making, his contested marking. Even this year his leading patterns as a forward have improved significantly. So if the big fella wants to spend the summer working on his forward craft with a view to reinventing his 30 year old self as the second coming of a young Paul Salmon, I ain't the one to tell him he can't do it.

And they said the get back Hogan was a bad idea