• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2023 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

5 hours ago, old55 said:

Trade Barrass to Sydney and trade that pick up a bit if necessary?

Possible we trade freo pick 4 back to WCE for sydney pick (barrass) which will probably be pick 7 and pick 19? Then trade 18, 22 and 36 for gold coast’s pick 5. Finish with 5, 7 and 19 (valuable first pick of second round). We obviously wouldn’t do this if Taylor and co were in love with the WA prospect Daniel Curtin. 

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

19 hours ago, Turner said:

accolades have nothing to do with it tho, its purely financial and the dons have the coin and the roos will let him walk, if the roos were top 4 and the pick was 15 people would be far less, not entirely but far less up in arms its just the way the system works at the moments and thats the fact of it

That’s why I said first round draft pick. He’d be lucky to even be considered as second round compo.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

100%. Ben McKay has played 65 games across 7 seasons and is 26 years old soon. Frawley at the same point in his career had played 139 games and was All Australian, and won a premiership with the Hawks at 26. So more than twice as many games and achieved both individual and team success. 

McKay is injured more often than not, and when he does get on the park he’s not exactly lighting it up. He’s essentially a less durable and less successful taller version of Tomlinson at this point. If he didn’t share genes with Harry, he probably wouldn’t be on a AFL list anymore. It’s blatant corruption if AFL grants first round compo for him. 

Yes, and i remember all the [censored] that was heaped on the MFC and the AFL for giving us an early pick as compo. Frawley was a gun. McKay has done little in comparison.

Can't see him getting an offer that would attract an early 1st rounder.

This draft is already compromised beyond belief with Academy and FS picks.

Fox Footy article today says there is a 4th GC Academy player Will Graham who may get nominated top 30 or 40.

• Like 1

I am not convinced we should target a midfielder for two reasons. Firstly, we have Petracca, Viney, Oliver, Sparrow, Brayshaw and Pickett tied up on lengthy contracts. There are only 240 minutes of inside the centre square game time to go around and we can’t easily fit a new player in.

Secondly, it does not appear to me that underaged midfielders necessarily translate to AFL midfielders once they are fully developed. There is a plethora of examples of players drafted as flankers or mid/small forwards who ultimately become elite inside players. These include Nathan Fyfe, Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett Jnr, James Hird, Andrew McLeod, Adam Goodes, Zac Butters, Conor Rozee, Elliot Yeo, Will Day, Jake Stringer, Jarod Dawson and Shai Bolton. Josh Weddle looks like another who will join this list. I hope we target a forward who can enhance our team immediately. If they can develop into a midfielder down the track, all the better.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

I am not convinced we should target a midfielder for two reasons. Firstly, we have Petracca, Viney, Oliver, Sparrow, Brayshaw and Pickett tied up on lengthy contracts. There are only 240 minutes of inside the centre square game time to go around and we can’t easily fit a new player in.

Secondly, it does not appear to me that underaged midfielders necessarily translate to AFL midfielders once they are fully developed. There is a plethora of examples of players drafted as flankers or mid/small forwards who ultimately become elite inside players. These include Nathan Fyfe, Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett Jnr, James Hird, Andrew McLeod, Adam Goodes, Zac Butters, Conor Rozee, Elliot Yeo, Will Day, Jake Stringer, Jarod Dawson and Shai Bolton. Josh Weddle looks like another who will join this list. I hope we target a forward who can enhance our team immediately. If they can develop into a midfielder down the track, all the better.

Sounds like you want Nick Watson!

• Like 1

Just go with the best available if we end up with a pick 4/5, if we get a pick closer to 10 then maybe go for a key position player, we immediately need a tall fwd and it won’t be long before we need a replacement for May.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, manny100 said:

Yes, and i remember all the [censored] that was heaped on the MFC and the AFL for giving us an early pick as compo. Frawley was a gun. McKay has done little in comparison.

Can't see him getting an offer that would attract an early 1st rounder.

Agree fully manny, Frawley was already in our best couple players and an All-Australian.  He was runner up in our B & F in 2010 and third in 2011 and always a top 10.

Importantly also, he was able to get on the park and very durable. 

He nearly won the Norm Smith Medal as well if I remember correctly?

North have enough kids and high quality draft picks over the last few years.  Throwing more kids there way isn't the correct resolution.  We have all seen (and lived) this.  It doesn't work.

I'd be shocked if the AFL does any more than give them an end of first round priority pick.  However, I think they might also get another pick somewhere that they must trade for a player.

They'll get Tomlinson for free (or late picks) to fill the void and end up with some later on compensation.  

To me, that's simple and smart.

I'm still filthy about missing out on Noah Anderson.... yes Jacko got us a flag (and I'll forever be grateful) but I crush on this kid hard when I watch the Suns.  Would complement our mids magnifcently.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

October 2014 … The AFL released a statement, saying there were a number of reasons the Commission knocked back Melbourne's request.  

It noted the Demons' four wins were double what they achieved last year and their percentage also improved.   

The league also pointed to Melbourne's bad run with injuries this season and their good crop of young talent.

When the Dees asked for a handout, it was refused because we hadn’t made the right decisions, already had enough young talent and had to be more accountable. Eight years and no finals and we were rejected.  Sound familiar.  

North have made some poor decisions and must regroup using their many years of 1st round draft picks (11 x 1st rounders on their list).   

Vote NO to this 

• Like 2

I remember people saying the same about us when we at our lowest ebb.  As we know, more high draft picks doesn't work on its own and understandably 

I think the AFL should be open to other options that would do more to get them moving the right direction e.g:

• Greater soft cap allocation (for a few years) for teams that have finished in the bottom 4 (for example) 3 years running.  As we know, you can have all the top picks but it doesn't matter if you don't develop them.
  • Greater salary cap (eg veterans list) (also for a finite period of time) to enable the bottom clubs to chase experienced culture building type players in the twilight of their careers.
  • Extra draft pick at start of second and third round.
  • Larger list / rookie list for teams that are stuck at the bottom of the ladder.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

October 2014 … The AFL released a statement, saying there were a number of reasons the Commission knocked back Melbourne's request.  

It noted the Demons' four wins were double what they achieved last year and their percentage also improved.   

The league also pointed to Melbourne's bad run with injuries this season and their good crop of young talent.

When the Dees asked for a handout, it was refused because we hadn’t made the right decisions, already had enough young talent and had to be more accountable. Eight years and no finals and we were rejected.  Sound familiar.  

North have made some poor decisions and must regroup using their many years of 1st round draft picks (11 x 1st rounders on their list).   

Vote NO to this 

While I don't disagree, I think the world has shifted - its no good for the competition to have teams stuck at the bottom (regardless of how they got there).  The AFL will do whatever it thinks will get North heading up the ladder.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deelusions from afar said:

While I don't disagree, I think the world has shifted - its no good for the competition to have teams stuck at the bottom (regardless of how they got there).  The AFL will do whatever it thinks will get North heading up the ladder.  

I agree (sadly) and think that the club will struggle to survive another season like this.

I'm still against pointy end compensation and throwing talented kids at the problem.  I do like your ideas above as well but feel if the compensation is going to be an extra pick - say end of first round at best - then the club should have to trade that pick for an established player.

Hopefully they can receive a bit more 'ready to go talent' this way and will see what other AFL clubs will offer up for a pick that holds a bit of currency.

If we look at our last few late first round picks in Jefferson, Bowie, Laurie & JVR, it's fair to say that none of these players at 18 years of age are going to make an impact immediately in a poor team.  They may get a bit of the pill in a good team but would definitely struggle at North.

If the AFL force the pick to be traded, they should be able to get a good solid best 22 players with 5-7 years left in the tank.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

I think it’s a fairer option to gift them a “priority pick at the start of the second round” and rule that it must be traded on.  They have quality youngsters and need to compliment these young guns with players with experience around them. We used such similar picks (early 20s) to land guys like Vince, Hibbo, Lingers and Melksham which helped us rise up to the top.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I think it’s a fairer option to gift them a “priority pick at the start of the second round” and rule that it must be traded on.  They have quality youngsters and need to compliment these young guns with players with experience around them. We used such similar picks (early 20s) to land guys like Vince, Hibbo, Lingers and Melksham which helped us rise up to the top.  

Agree. They need to trade for establishesd talent and I hope any assistance will revolve around picks that must be on-traded for players similar to what they received last year.

Wouldn't surprise if they received a mid-first (or future mid-first) pick @11 that needs to be on-traded.

Bit more appealing for clubs looking to trade into the first round. If the quality of players isn't there for an outright pick swap, then they can get creative with other picks involved.

Example:

*not to be taken as a serious scenario.

Out: North's compensation pick 11 

In: Tomlinson, Pick 15

They get a key defender and retain a first round pick, which they can now use at the draft, with a small slide.

I'd be somewhat ok with this compared to them being able to prelist a kid or getting pick 3 for an ordinary defender.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Slightly different to the other ones, with Caddy much higher.

He certainly looks to be a tallent. I'm fascinated to see who we take. We already have a pretty healthy list. It's also great to be able to have confidence in out draft and development departments. They've done a steller job the last few years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

He certainly looks to be a tallent. I'm fascinated to see who we take. We already have a pretty healthy list. It's also great to be able to have confidence in out draft and development departments. They've done a steller job the last few years. 

I'm in the camp that would rather we use our 1st pick, Freo 2nd and our 2nd to try get Gold Coasts first.

We can then take two top 10 picks to the draft. 

As mentioned before I would be surprised if we aren't interested in O'sullivan. 198cm key defender and a great replacement for May in 2-3 years time.

Plus if we want to stick with the Petty/JVR forward combo moving forward it would be nice to have another gun key defender to replace petty.

• Like 6