Kozi hurts

Wizard of Koz

Kysaiah Pickett could show no further improvement for his entire career and still never be out of the best 22 of a premiership-contending side.

Also, he's still just 21, and definitely showing signs of continuous improvement.

• Like 14
  • Love 2

One thing I have been wanting to see the last few weeks was an intent to tackle to hurt opponents. All within the rules, but statement tackles. Was so pleased Thursday. 
Picket tackles in a way that opponents are always keen to know where he is on the ground. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I thought he was very good on Thursday. I tend to watch him closely off the ball. I have never seen anything like his chasing. He sprints even when it is likely the ball will be gone. His pressure and inferred pressure is outstanding. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

He is a gem. All of the Pickett bloodline brilliance and toughness, strong sense of playing fair and elite  defensive efforts.

I am so, so happy we drafted him.

Could become one of the all time greats. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

12 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

Kysaiah Pickett could show no further improvement for his entire career and still never be out of the best 22 of a premiership-contending side.

Also, he's still just 21, and definitely showing signs of continuous improvement.

The thought of us playing in a GF without Kossie ( and his uncompromising football defensive skills and his cat like pouncing on the ball and goaling plus his beautiful joy and love of the game in his smile ) has me in a wet eye state.

Just not negotiable in any situation  I can think of. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

There's a few on this site who have knocked him for not kicking enough goals but I think that is really undervaluing the defensive efforts and one percenters he puts in.

Opposition defenders must get the ball and then the first thought must be "where's Pickett".

As said above, I love the charging from 10 to 20metres he does to just put pressure on the kicker.

Never gives up.

There will be a wonderful turnover reel by the end of the season where Kozzie has harassed defenders and the spoils have resulted in goals for us.

Spargo, Bedford and Kozzie are comin for ya. Lookout!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, binman said:

Can we change the thread title to Koz hurts.

Then we can sing it to this tune:

Thank god you linked the original and best version of this song (the original), and not the Nazareth cover which too many people think is the original.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Thank god you linked the original and best version of this song (the original), and not the Nazareth cover which too many people think is the original.

I thought the original version was by the Everly brothers?

Edited by binman
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

"Greivous Angel" is one of my all-time favourite albums and still sounds great today. 

It's a shame that Gram Parsons is not more widely recognised.

Great song, great album, all time great muso.

That song is actually not on this playlist, but is in spirit (designed to be played in order).

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0jVFrv1QofHppZWV7CWxwv?si=a6808121ffec4345

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

"Greivous Angel" is one of my all-time favourite albums and still sounds great today. 

It's a shame that Gram Parsons is not more widely recognised.

tsk, tsk, you should be ashamed, demonstone,

*grievous

• Haha 4
  • Shocked 1

5 hours ago, SPC said:

One thing I have been wanting to see the last few weeks was an intent to tackle to hurt opponents. All within the rules, but statement tackles. Was so pleased Thursday. 
Picket tackles in a way that opponents are always keen to know where he is on the ground. 

Me too, Langdon got crunched, then the Pies were physical with us at every opportunity.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I also loved when Emmylou would do this live with Buddy Miller...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DubDee said:

I thought he was very good on Thursday. I tend to watch him closely off the ball. I have never seen anything like his chasing. He sprints even when it is likely the ball will be gone. His pressure and inferred pressure is outstanding. 

Your reference to inferred pressure is very apt - they just don’t know where he is and when or how he will pounce.  

And I love his second and third and fourth efforts.  I well remember at least two goals in 2021 where he ran from half back, gave, received, gave again and received and goaled. One was v North and the other at the G may have been v GW$. 

• Like 3

https://youtu.be/UEx2NNZAHvA

(At 1:26) when this happened I thought Kozzy had an identical twin who nobody knew existed. 🤩

edit: @monoccular this one is from round five this year vs GWS

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not wanting to start a seperate thread but looking for a spot to comment on the Koz...please bear with me.

Sometimes you watch a player more than most others and you can get a bias going, one way or another. I have been wondering why in the forward line, many bomb it to the goal square, and Jake lever, whom Id say is a smart footballer,  did it twice on Thursday. Once when Kozzie was open. Kozzie makes an option inside 50 very regularly (to my rose coloured glasses), but is almost always ignored. Toby looked for him Thursday and kicked it over his head and nearly out of bounds, Kozzie of course, did the rest with his superb balance. 

My point is that Kozzie would score a lot more if, as well as being a defensive forward, he was labelled a target. I think it is a mindset of the players about who to look for. I saw this as well with Jack Watts who was a smart forward but was left hungry too.

And I mean bombing it to the square every [censored] ing time without thought? 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

54 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

tsk, tsk, you should be ashamed, demonstone,

*grievous

Hoist by my own Ricky Petard, it would seem!

I've had that album since 1978 and in my mind's eye I always thought they'd misspelt the title as "Greivous".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, binman said:

Can we change the thread title to Koz hurts.

Then we can sing it to this tune:

You’re right, Binman! It does fit in well…

AA7CC8DE-5194-47A8-99EA-8CE51AF64FDF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Was nervous this was an injury thread..

Let's not be surprised or Picketts intent hurt people when he tackles.

I mean, he's uncle is Byron Pickett lol

Byron was build like a brick outhouse though. You wouldn’t normally expect a featherweight small forward to tackle to hurt. I love that he does!

• Like 3
  • Love 2