PRACTICE MATCH: vs North Melbourne Streamed LIVE on Kayo

Whispering_Jack

2 hours ago, Sydee said:

Hope everyone remembers its a practice match only and nobody goes into a complete meltdown if we don't win - perhaps that's too much to ask 

I'd like to think most of the young kids will get a taste and many of those who didn't play at the pointy end last year will get reasonable game time to put their case forward to selectors 

I'll microwave my membership if we lose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Wonder why Lever and Fritsch aren’t playing

Viney makes sense with his ongoing foot issues. He’s probably on a light load. 

Viney on covid isolation.

Lever rolled ankle and Fritter had a sore calf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Viney on covid isolation.

Lever rolled ankle and Fritter had a sore calf.

Cheers for the info. You’re all over it! 
Makes sense to take 0 risks with our best players. 

Hoping I can have this rolling in the background at work tomorrow. I’m lucky the owner of my company is a big Melbourne supporter 

3 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Cheers for the info. You’re all over it! 
Makes sense to take 0 risks with our best players. 

Hoping I can have this rolling in the background at work tomorrow. I’m lucky the owner of my company is a big Melbourne supporter 

I actually got it off the MFC website lol

• Haha 2

Might see something like this. With some of our best players getting pulled out at half or 3/4 time.

FB: Hibberd May Rivers 
HB: Salem Tomlinson Bowey
C: Langdon Petracca Brayshaw
HF: ANB McDonald Spargo
FF: Pickett B Brown Weid
Foll: Gawn Oliver Harmes
Int: Jackson, Hunt, Sparrow, JJ, Chandler 

Emeg: Smith, Turner, M Brown, Baker, Bedford 

3 hours ago, Sydee said:

Hope everyone remembers its a practice match only and nobody goes into a complete meltdown if we don't win - perhaps that's too much to ask 

I'd like to think most of the young kids will get a taste and many of those who didn't play at the pointy end last year will get reasonable game time to put their case forward to selectors 

I am interested if the collective psychology of MFCSS towards this type of game has now changed. I think it has. The real in game situation will be more of a guide.

Great to see Daniel Turner get a gig. This to me says that he's put in a pretty strong pre season on the track.

Was blown away how extremely fit he looked when I bumped into him at the gym over the summer. Had lost all the puppy fat he had prior to being picked up and looked like he'd stacked on the muscle.

• Like 6

My team would be

B: J.Smith, May, Hibberd

HB: Salem, Tomlinson, Bowey

C: Langdon, Petracca, Brayshaw

HF: Neal-Bullen, McDonald, Chandler

F: Spargo, B.Brown, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Harmes, Oliver

IC: Rivers, Jackson, Sparrow, Jordon, Hunt, Bedford, Weideman, M.Brown, Baker, Turner

How many are they allowed on the bench in practice games?

1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Terrific to see Tomlinson getting a run. I'll be interested to see both how much time he gets and how he goes!

It’s a quick turnaround considering he did his knee in May last year.

A lot of players take the full 12 months until they play another AFL game, eg- Lever.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wizard of Koz said:

I am interested if the collective psychology of MFCSS towards this type of game has now changed. I think it has. The real in game situation will be more of a guide.

We can afford to toy with games like this, try a few things here and there, knowing a loss means jack.

In past years, it was all about the process of selling hope (to the players as much as the supporters) and wins were desperately sought after.

This all seems quite odd.

This time of year we're all usually salivating about our new high draft picks and expecting/hoping * them to become stars because we might make it to a Prelim Final in 5 years if they're any good. It's about generating enthusiasm so we can sell memberships. And it's about praying that our few good players don't injure themselves.

Now that we know we have the list - and most of them are young enough to be competing for years - pre-season becomes something different. I'm not sure what that is, but this all seems quite odd. MFCSS died in Perth last October.

(random fact: those two words are just one word in Spanish - 'esperar' - and since knowing that, as a god-damn sh*te- as Spanish speaker - I now get retrospectively confused on occasions.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fat Tony said:

Interesting none of the first year players got selected. 

How many quarters will they play? Probably only 4 by the look of the squad size.

An interesting  part of our preparation last season was that we played an almost full strength team in the corresponding practice match against the tigers (which we won, just).

And we seemed to approach that game like a serious hit out.

In the actual preseason game against the dogs we rested key players and played Jordon and i think from memory Bowey. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Any idea on why no Dunstan? 

Thought he'd get given the opportunity to show his wares in both praccy matches

From reading the training reports, Dunstan was doing additional running. His omission could be due to a minor injury, although that would have been reported. Or they could be preparing him for a particular role, and he hasn't reached those standards yet in match sim. Ben Brown was given a specific training regiment before his recall. Dunstan maybe in the same situation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mo64 said:

From reading the training reports, Dunstan was doing additional running. His omission could be due to a minor injury, although that would have been reported. Or they could be preparing him for a particular role, and he hasn't reached those standards yet in match sim. Ben Brown was given a specific training regiment before his recall. Dunstan maybe in the same situation.

How amazing to think players from other clubs that come to the Dees might not be fit enough and need a modified/longer preseason program to get up to speed. Long gone are the Rodan, Dawes etc days.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, mo64 said:

This is the feeling I get also.

Pretty sure it was @picket fence who mentioned that Dunstan was doing extra running after match sim not long ago.

Dunstan might have gotten a big culture shock with some of the training standards early days and maybe he's put up his hand for extra work knowing the standard that our midfield operates. 

Edited by dazzledavey36