Jump to content

Farewell Luke Jackson


Lucifers Hero

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

This is my take on the Jacko situation.

Luke would obviously be happy to be home and if he was, he wants to play with the club he barracked for and his family is connected with. It doesn’t hurt that they are now successful. He is happy to return home, if both clubs can do a fair deal. If not, most likely he will stay with us for another 2 years and see where it’s at then.

I don’t think he is driving this or demanding to leave, but rather Freo have seen the opportunity to get him.

We hold the cards and if no deal can be done to our satisfaction, I am sure Luke will sign on for 2 more years.

I am pretty confident Freo have driven this, knowing they have a willing participant, in the right circumstances.

I think he is happy to stay for a couple of years at least, but would also be happy to return home and play with Freo and Freo probably know exactly that. He may have simply said "yes if you can get me I will come, if not I stay a Dee." 

So Mr. Bell, you make us happy or he stays, end of story.

PS: Personally, I hope if he does go, players are involved, as picks are speculative and take time to turn into regular players in your best 22, if at all.

Agree with you. This position works long term for jacko & his manager as well. Ie if he stays, has 2 more strong years, Freo know they have to pay up to get him, because he is not as desperate to come home as say a Tim Kelly was.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Demongirl35 said:

I have feeling Jackson and Gus are gone. 
Gus id be surprised about if he did end up leaving. He was here for some crappy times and now the club is better,  he’d want leave (if he does) 

Gus won’t be leaving. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, praha said:

If Freo give us Brayshaw as part of any Jackson trade, we'll have to give up more. Way more. Freo isn't giving up one of the top 5 players in the game for a 20 year old who will barely crack top 15 in the B&F. Just a reality.

Didn't say it would happen, just a rumour that MFC has indicated to Freo that's what they'll be asking for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Didn't say it would happen, just a rumour that MFC has indicated to Freo that's what they'll be asking for.

Can we start another rumour that Andrew Brayshaw is missing his parents and brother and wants to come to Melb? 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Allowing for priority picks that would be two picks around 18.

No thanks

Two by top five picks or a top five player plus a late first rounder. Jackson was a third pick who would clearly go number 1 in a redraft

I'd be shocked and delighted if we got 2 top 5 picks. Or a top 5 player. Would Darcy be interested in coming back to Victoria I wonder?

If dogga insists on leaving (i don't know how adamant he is) then we'll have to accept what we get. Freo's current and future first is probably the deal. I'd be confident JT will have a real player with one of the picks. Might not be the deal we would ideally like but if he's out of contract what choice do we have. All depends whether Jackson cares if we're looked after in the deal. You'd hope after we've invested in him he'd do the right thing by us

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given what we did when Jesse left... landed May. If Luke was to leave, rather than focus on picks, who would we be targeting to bring in, i.e. a 23-27 yr old key forward at a club thats languishing..? 

What do we need to find that would make losing Luke a win for the MFC?

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


23 minutes ago, BDA said:

I'd be shocked and delighted if we got 2 top 5 picks. Or a top 5 player. Would Darcy be interested in coming back to Victoria I wonder?

If dogga insists on leaving (i don't know how adamant he is) then we'll have to accept what we get. Freo's current and future first is probably the deal. I'd be confident JT will have a real player with one of the picks. Might not be the deal we would ideally like but if he's out of contract what choice do we have. All depends whether Jackson cares if we're looked after in the deal. You'd hope after we've invested in him he'd do the right thing by us

 

Given jacko has publicly stated many times that he prefers ruck to forward (with the standard I will play where the coach puts me disclaimer), I be asking questions if I was Darcy as to where he fits in to future plans! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Didn't say it would happen, just a rumour that MFC has indicated to Freo that's what they'll be asking for.

And we should ask for him. Start at the top. Also and most importantly, would we ask for him if he hasn't indicated he would be willing to come?

Remember Gus and Jacko have the same manager and maybe Gus has asked his brother would he be willing to come over and play for the Dees.

With Jacko willing to go home, it sets up a scenario where Freo might be hard pressed to say we should let Jacko go home, but they won't do the same.

Some interesting times ahead.

While ordinarily I would say Andrew is no chance to come to us, the Jacko situation puts a different spin on it, "IF" Andrew is on board with the idea.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

And we should ask for him. Start at the top. Also and most importantly, would we ask for him if he hasn't indicated he would be willing to come?

Remember Gus and Jacko have the same manager and maybe Gus has asked his brother would he be willing to come over and play for the Dees.

With Jacko willing to go home, it sets up a scenario where Freo might be hard pressed to say we should let Jacko go home, but they won't do the same.

Some interesting times ahead.

While ordinarily I would say Andrew is no chance to come to us, the Jacko situation puts a different spin on it, "IF" Andrew is on board with the idea.

Maybe we deliberately haven’t matched Freo’s offer because we are comfortable with the outcome of what we would get in return?

so much speculation:- easily got another 200 pages of this thread to go 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BDA said:

I'd be shocked and delighted if we got 2 top 5 picks. Or a top 5 player. Would Darcy be interested in coming back to Victoria I wonder?

If dogga insists on leaving (i don't know how adamant he is) then we'll have to accept what we get. Freo's current and future first is probably the deal. I'd be confident JT will have a real player with one of the picks. Might not be the deal we would ideally like but if he's out of contract what choice do we have. All depends whether Jackson cares if we're looked after in the deal. You'd hope after we've invested in him he'd do the right thing by us

 

Sorry BDA but how would Luke get to Freo if we do not agree to the trade? It is a pretty straightforward situation;

1. Jackson indicates that he would like to return to WA and play for Freo.

2. MFC say you are a really important player for us and while we want to sign you on a long term deal, if you want to go then we will help facilitate a fair trade. If a deal cannot be done we can re-sign you on a 1 - 2 year contract at market value.

3. Freo and Melbourne discuss what is required to get the deal done. Melbourne say that at least pick 3 would be required (what we paid) + additional compensation reflecting the speculative risk we took in drafting an untried 18 year old now and his development learning under the best ruckman in the game. Freo indicate what the are prepared to pay in terms of points, picks or players and their desire to do a deal.

4. Melbourne and Freo keep Jackson (via his management) in the loop on where the trade sits in terms of his trade value. If Freo are being unreasonable Melbourne can say we're trying to get a deal done but Freo are playing games, etc. 

5. If we are being reasonable and Freo are playing games or are not prepared to offer a fair deal, Jackson can either accept a short term deal or nominate for the draft as a delisted free agent, in which case he likely ends up at North.

I cannot see why we have to accept anything less than Jackson's worth which is at least pick 3 and arguably another first round pick or an established player who fits our needs and would be in our best 22.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Maybe we deliberately haven’t matched Freo’s offer because we are comfortable with the outcome of what we would get in return?

so much speculation:- easily got another 200 pages of this thread to go 

Maybe this is all a set up by DL, to get more interest and hits! 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Can we start another rumour that Andrew Brayshaw is missing his parents and brother and wants to come to Melb? 

Just need Ralph on the case and it will be seen as fact.

Jon can we exchange a couple more board emails for you to run with this? 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SO what I take out of all of this.

Angus Brayshaw ,whose parents and partner live in Melbourne wants to 'return home' because his younger brother plays in Fremantle and he has Grandparents there.

However...

Andrew Brayshaw, whose grandparents live in WA and parents and brother live in Melbourne and has an older brother who plays in/for Melbourne,  want's to stay in Perth .

Andrew sounds like a right jerk if he doesn't want to be near his parents or brother(s), let alone play with his older brother 🤷‍♀️

 

And Jackson is the unicorn to unlocking the Brothers Brayshaw from playing together....

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

SO what I take out of all of this.

Angus Brayshaw ,whose parents and partner live in Melbourne wants to 'return home' because his younger brother plays in Fremantle and he has Grandparents there.

However...

Andrew Brayshaw, whose grandparents live in WA and parents and brother live in Melbourne and has an older brother who plays in/for Melbourne,  want's to stay in Perth .

Andrew sounds like a right jerk if he doesn't want to be near his parents or brother(s), let alone play with his older brother 🤷‍♀️

 

And Jackson is the unicorn to unlocking the Brothers Brayshaw from playing together....

My opinion is it's as simple as the brothers would like to play together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


25 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Given jacko has publicly stated many times that he prefers ruck to forward (with the standard I will play where the coach puts me disclaimer), I be asking questions if I was Darcy as to where he fits in to future plans! 

Jacko has also said he'd like to play in the backline...

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Given what we did when Jesse left... landed May. If Luke was to leave, rather than focus on picks, who would we be targeting to bring in, i.e. a 23-27 yr old key forward at a club thats languishing..? 

What do we need to find that would make losing Luke a win for the MFC?

I don't know.

But I'll bet you Jason Taylor and Tim Lamb do and they know who the targets are.

Much more relaxed over this issue than the Hogan years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

SO what I take out of all of this.

Angus Brayshaw ,whose parents and partner live in Melbourne wants to 'return home' because his younger brother plays in Fremantle and he has Grandparents there.

However...

Andrew Brayshaw, whose grandparents live in WA and parents and brother live in Melbourne and has an older brother who plays in/for Melbourne,  want's to stay in Perth .

Andrew sounds like a right jerk if he doesn't want to be near his parents or brother(s), let alone play with his older brother 🤷‍♀️

 

And Jackson is the unicorn to unlocking the Brothers Brayshaw from playing together....

Just shows how stupid this thread is, but amusing.

Edited by drysdale demon
less information.
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PaulRB said:

Given what we did when Jesse left... landed May. If Luke was to leave, rather than focus on picks, who would we be targeting to bring in, i.e. a 23-27 yr old key forward at a club thats languishing..? 

What do we need to find that would make losing Luke a win for the MFC?

100%. Which is why the club would not be wasting their time with a Jackson for Andy Brayshaw proposition. They'd be putting their efforts into a gettable target.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PaulRB said:

Given what we did when Jesse left... landed May. If Luke was to leave, rather than focus on picks, who would we be targeting to bring in, i.e. a 23-27 yr old key forward at a club thats languishing..? 

What do we need to find that would make losing Luke a win for the MFC?

We can only land a 23-27yo key forward if one is available. Who would you target?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We can only land a 23-27yo key forward if one is available. Who would you target?

Chooka who's 24, in my local league snagged 14.9 last weekend. I'm not sure his missus would be keen to head up to the big smoke though. When the midfielders "Smithy" and "Pubes" respectively, deliver the ball inside 50 to him on a silver platter, Chooka's often heard yelling across the dewey field, 'Great connection lads' or 'This is a functional forward line Goodwin, you muppett!'

Anyway I'm off to send my curated Youtube highlights to [email protected] - hope Tim gets it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

My opinion is it's as simple as the brothers would like to play together.

And if they do and this is what is being attempted to be done, neither side will want to announce it before their season is finished, so as not to further disrupt it.

Edited by Redleg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 35

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 358

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...