Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Farewell Luke Jackson


Lucifers Hero

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Great, so how do Freo satisfy us? This has been the missing piece in the media conjecture the whole time. He isn’t going for free. 

Freo needs to free up cap space to fit in Jackson next year. Lobb is still contracted next year on app. $700k. I doubt that we want to take Lobb or his contract.  

If people think we'll get 2 top 10 picks plus Meek as steak knives, they are kidding themselves. We got pick 6 for Hogan and Freo got pick 5 for Cerra. Our best case scenario is 1 top 10 pick + another 2022 late 1st rd or Freo future 1st + steak knives Meek.

  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Redleg said:

If Jacko goes, Rendell on SEN suggesting we end up with Grundy and a high pick.

Pies to pay say $200K of his $900k for next 5 years.

Lobb to Dogs for pick.

Freo gives picks to Pies, who save $700k a year, plus probably De Goeys' salary, which they use to chase Giants players.

Grundy then does most of ruckwork for us and Max plays more forward, which prolongs his career and gives us another marking target forward.

We use the high pick to draft another key forward.

We can then rookie another ruck.

Maybe we trade Weid to Pies as part of the deal to improve our draft position.

Lots of possibilities.

 

Rendell is an [censored] around draft and trade time. That's an awful deal for Melbourne and the Pies make out like bandits. As if Max as captain would be happy to play 2nd fiddle to Grundy. Plus Max is an unproven forward. Rather than wasting $700 for 5 years on Grundy, how about targeting a young key forward either this year or next, and acquire a developing young ruckman.

Weid is steak knives to any deal. He might improve our draft position in the later rounds like 3rd or 4th.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


35 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Great, so how do Freo satisfy us? This has been the missing piece in the media conjecture the whole time. He isn’t going for free. 

Contrast with the talk around Cerra last year, you couldnt say Cerra to Melbourne without hearing the media saying 'not sure how it gets done because of picks required and cap space'. But crickets on LJ... annoying AF

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Rendell is an [censored] around draft and trade time. That's an awful deal for Melbourne and the Pies make out like bandits.

So if Pies got picks 40 and 50 for Grundy you would say they are bandits?

Not sure why you said that, when the pick(s) they might get weren't even suggested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

So if Pies got picks 40 and 50 for Grundy you would say they are bandits?

Not sure why you said that, when the pick(s) they might get weren't even suggested.

Pies clear up cap space and get better chasing GWS talent. Grundy's $700k x 5 years for a player we don't need is a burden regardless of what picks we give up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Redleg said:

If Jacko goes, Rendell on SEN suggesting we end up with Grundy and a high pick.

Pies to pay say $200K of his $900k for next 5 years.

Lobb to Dogs for pick.

Freo gives picks to Pies, who save $700k a year, plus probably De Goeys' salary, which they use to chase Giants players.

Grundy then does most of ruckwork for us and Max plays more forward, which prolongs his career and gives us another marking target forward.

We use the high pick to draft another key forward.

We can then rookie another ruck.

Maybe we trade Weid to Pies as part of the deal to improve our draft position.

Lots of possibilities.

 

No thanks 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

So if Pies got picks 40 and 50 for Grundy you would say they are bandits?

Not sure why you said that, when the pick(s) they might get weren't even suggested.

It is not the pick though. The issue with Grundy is he is on too much money. And it is hard to see the Pies being willing to pay enough money to facilitate a trade given they are still paying for Treloar.

In the NBA, salary dump trades are pretty common, but they are harder in the AFL because the reward for tanking is less (the draft isn't as good an equalisation tool because we have 18 players) and because the player has to agree to any trade.

I think we would get more value out of going for Goldstein, who is long in the tooth but will cost less salary cap space.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


We want picks, not players.. getting picks secures us a war chest for down the track, while also adding youth from the draft. Sure we might get a fringe ruckman, but we are hell bent on picks, and in particular 2 first rounders for this year (as our first pick is in the 30s) 

Edited by Demon3
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

We want picks, not players.. getting picks secures us a war chest for down the track, while also adding youth from the draft. Sure we might get a fringe ruckman, but we are hell bent on picks, and in particular 2 first rounders for this year (as our first pick is in the 30s) 

No we don’t. We want ready made players to have an impact straight away. 

Worked so hard to be in the window:- the time is now. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

No we don’t. We want ready made players to have an impact straight away. 

Worked so hard to be in the window:- the time is now. 

Wrong, we want players, we will get a ruckman, still be in the window and get quality youth. You have to keep adding kids.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

It is not the pick though. The issue with Grundy is he is on too much money. And it is hard to see the Pies being willing to pay enough money to facilitate a trade given they are still paying for Treloar.

 

Yep. Grundy is on a massive deal until the end of 2027, which is still 5 more years after this year. It's the worst contract in the AFL (outside the expansion teams) and is severely limiting what Collingwood can do in terms of building their list. 

As you say, if we were to hypothetically take that on (which is still silly from list management anyway, but still.....) then Collingwood would need to make the contract more reasonable for us by paying significant money, which takes away from the benefit from them doing the deal in the first place. 

A deal more akin to Will Brodie's Freo deal would be more reasonable for a team. In that deal (not including steak knives) Freo received Will Brodie plus an end of first round pick in exchange for a future second round pick (about pick 25 ish). In other words, Gold Coast paid Freo to take Will Brodie's contract. This is probably the first NBA style salary dump that I can recall in the AFL.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Wrong, we want players, we will get a ruckman, still be in the window and get quality youth. You have to keep adding kids.

I am sorry but you are wrong.

we will already be up against it to keep all our kids who aren’t getting an opportunity at AFL level.

Ready made players to address our weaknesses is the focus. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

We want picks, not players.. getting picks secures us a war chest for down the track, while also adding youth from the draft. Sure we might get a fringe ruckman, but we are hell bent on picks, and in particular 2 first rounders for this year (as our first pick is in the 30s) 

I fully agree. We should want picks.  We will have a premier midfield for the rest of this decade.   I would much rather bank picks/cash and then use that currency on an established kpf into 2024. Our premiership window is open for 5 years with this midfield and backline.   

Get a top 10 goal kicker will set us up for the rest of the decade.  Getting lobb will fill a gap for 2 years. Ho hum.   Play the long game. 

Edited by Jjrogan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

I am sorry but you are wrong.

we will already be up against it to keep all our kids who aren’t getting an opportunity at AFL level.

Ready made players to address our weaknesses is the focus. 

No, im not, but thats ok. If you dont get kids in you end up in a black hole when your window closes. And if we lose kids, then thats the exact reason why you need more.  We dont have a first round pick, we need one, we want 2. We will get a free agent or a traded player, but rest assured, we want picks.

Happy to disagree mate and move on.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

No, im not, but thats ok. If you dont get kids in you end up in a black hole when your window closes. And if we lose kids, then thats the exact reason why you need more.  We dont have a first round pick, we need one, we want 2. We will get a free agent or a traded player, but rest assured, we want picks.

Happy to disagree mate and move on.

Geelong says hi 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

I am sorry but you are wrong.

we will already be up against it to keep all our kids who aren’t getting an opportunity at AFL level.

Ready made players to address our weaknesses is the focus. 

 

14 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Wrong, we want players, we will get a ruckman, still be in the window and get quality youth. You have to keep adding kids.

You're right Demon3 we do need to keep adding kids and we'll do that - with second and third round draft picks.

We wont get the luxury of high first rounders sadly and don't need late first rounders at the moment to pick up potential players who maybe decent in 2 to 3 years.

I'd much rather us getting known quality players whilst we still have Gawn, May, TMc and BBB whilst they're (rightly or wrongly for the last 2) still best 22.  If we can get improvements on the last two and any other players on the list happy days.

Gawn and May are going to be nearly impossible to replace - both wonderful players.  We need to strike with known players right now so we can be premiership threats while these two are still amongst it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Deeko2 said:

 

You're right Demon3 we do need to keep adding kids and we'll do that - with second and third round draft picks.

We wont get the luxury of high first rounders sadly and don't need late first rounders at the moment to pick up potential players who maybe decent in 2 to 3 years.

I'd much rather us getting known quality players whilst we still have Gawn, May, TMc and BBB whilst they're (rightly or wrongly for the last 2) still best 22.  If we can get improvements on the last two and any other players on the list happy days.

Gawn and May are going to be nearly impossible to replace - both wonderful players.  We need to strike with known players right now so we can be premiership threats while these two are still amongst it.

 

No where did i say that we wont get experienced players, im strictly talking about the draft. If you dont get high top end talent in through the draft you play catch up. 

We will get first round picks if Jackson goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Demon3 said:

No where did i say that we wont get experienced players, im strictly talking about the draft. If you dont get high top end talent in through the draft you play catch up. 

We will get first round picks if Jackson goes.

I mightn't have worded it that clearly.  We'll most likely trade for experience players and known quality.

Unless they're very high end (1-5) where a player can immediately make an impact then they will then be traded.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demon3 said:

We want picks, not players.. getting picks secures us a war chest for down the track, while also adding youth from the draft. Sure we might get a fringe ruckman, but we are hell bent on picks, and in particular 2 first rounders for this year (as our first pick is in the 30s) 

 

1 hour ago, 1964_2 said:

No we don’t. We want ready made players to have an impact straight away. 

Worked so hard to be in the window:- the time is now. 

I'm with @Demon3 here. Most of our salary cap is tied up with our contracted existing list that we're trying to keep together long term. We need to balance that out by adding high quality youth rather than costly ready made players unless they fill a specific need (back-up ruck, key forward etc..). This allows us room to improve contract offers down the track to retain deserving players that start cementing themselves in the 22. Think JvR, Howes, Laurie, Turner etc... Otherwise we will start haemorrhaging best 22 players we want to keep because our salary cap will be constantly buldging and they won't get the remuneration they deserve.

Also for those that haven't clued on, Demon3 has good mail. I'm tipping this isn't a guess on his/her behalf but rather a statement of fact.

Edit: I think we are also planning as best we can to keep our window open for as long as possible. All good to say our window is now, but I would rather keep it open for another 10 years instead of 2.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Oh, ummm, well… [censored] off?

slight overreaction to someone pointing to a different approach 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Maybe we trade Weid to Pies

I know that Weid's grandfather was a Collingwood legend, but is there any other reason so many posters assume that they would be keen on trading for Sam? 

Surely any club would chase players based on talent and needs, not lineage.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Luke Jackson Has Requested a Trade Home
  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to Is Jackson worth the money?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Wednesday 1st February 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT REHAB  Clarry, Max, Farris-White, Melky, Matt Jefferson, Jakey Lever, Joel Smith & 1 Other I couldn't place. Glad to see the Club being ultra cautious with Clarry's thumb BUT the fact he is still troubled with it is worrying (God I hate Selwood) Got there at 10.50 to see Full match Simulation Game between the Blues and the Whites. Quite clearly the Blues were the A Team and the Whites were the possibles. Some interesting faces in the white Team h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    PICKET FENCE'S TRAINING REPORT NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    DEMONLAND’S TRAINING REPORT Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jord

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...