Farewell Luke Jackson

Lucifers Hero

58 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

A snippet from this 'Age' article about ruckmen ruck-trade-merry-go-round

"The most significant signature of all is Melbourne’s out-of-contract emerging star Luke Jackson. Melbourne has outlined a compelling three-year succession plan for their premiership forward-ruckman to switch roles with Gawn and become first ruck and tall forward as part of their pitch for him to re-sign.

Originally from Perth, Jackson enjoys living in Melbourne and is attracted to staying but is also weighing up if he wants to return to live in Perth at some point. When is the right time to make a move, and what is best for his football development?"

My take:  he will stay but mulling over whether he signs for a short/medium/long term.

Given that's from the Age i take it with a grain of salt, but the way it reads makes me think Jackson would definitely like to stay short term, but long term he's not sure, and he needs to really think about it given Melbourne is clearly planning on him being a key part of the footy club. 

if that's the case it is an integrity move to not commit and then demand a trade later.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Given that's from the Age i take it with a grain of salt, but the way it reads makes me think Jackson would definitely like to stay short term, but long term he's not sure, and he needs to really think about it given Melbourne is clearly planning on him being a key part of the footy club. 

if that's the case it is an integrity move to not commit and then demand a trade later.

In the end, the clubs have little power.  If he wants to go, then he will.  His value at the trade table will be immense, so I can foresee a situation where he signs to RFA or FA, and then goes for the huge bucks.    He should have 2 or 3 flags by then.  

How many first rounders in trade is he worth given Cameron was about 3?

• Shocked 1

With how much of a mess the Eagles list profile and age demographic is I'm genuinely surprised they're still willing to throw big cash and a potential first round pick (probably pick 1 or 2) away just for a player that I feel isn't exactly their biggest need.

Their midfield and forward line is a shambles. After Shuey, Redden, Kelly, Kennedy Darling and Gaff their is a significant drop in depth. What's worrying also is these guys are 30+ years of age. I can't see where their next up and coming gun midfielder or forward will come through once these guys retire. 

The Tim Kelly trade has really set the club back big time and I think there is far more pressing needs then a young ruckman.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

With how much of a mess the Eagles list profile and age demographic is I'm genuinely surprised they're still willing to throw big cash and a potential first round pick (probably pick 1 or 2) away just for a player that I feel isn't exactly their biggest need.

Their midfield and forward line is a shambles. After Shuey, Redden, Kelly, Kennedy Darling and Gaff their is a significant drop in depth. What's worrying also is these guys are 30+ years of age. I can't see where their next up and coming gun midfielder or forward will come through once these guys retire. 

The Tim Kelly trade has really set the club back big time and I think there is far more pressing needs then a young ruckman.

The only way the Eagles pull this off is if they have a significant list overhaul at seasons end, trading several big name players, getting in a raft of draft picks and LJ being just part of a rapid rebuild strategy, 

Unfortunately for them in order to get in the number of first round picks required probably means trading some sort of combination of Kelly, Gaff, McGovern, Ryan, Rioli and co 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Apart from Oscar Allen which under 23 players at WC jump off the page as great potential for the future? None! I don't even know if they have a 50 gamer under the age of 23 excluding Allen which is a massive, massive concern.

They're in big trouble and I can't see why in the blue hell anyone would want to go there right now. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, layzie said:

Apart from Oscar Allen which under 23 players at WC jump off the page as great potential for the future? None! I don't even know if they have a 50 gamer under the age of 23 excluding Allen which is a massive, massive concern.

They're in big trouble and I can't see why in the blue hell anyone would want to go there right now. 

Kennedy will finish up this year and Darling potentially may go to another club for a year or two.

Huge responsibilities left on Allen's shoulders...

Allen is a good up and coming talent, but he's thrived as the 3rd tall behind Kennedy and Darling. Not sure how he'll cope with getting the number 1 defender each game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Allen is a good up and coming talent, but he's thrived as the 3rd tall behind Kennedy and Darling. Not sure how he'll cope with getting the number 1 defender each game.

And exactly the same can be said to Jackson who is thriving playing second fiddle to the best ruckman in the competition who is also supremely fit.

If Jackson goes to West Coast, the pressure to replace NicNat, who is on his last legs and can barely run out a game let alone a season, will be enormous.

Can Jackson even handle being a number one ruckman right now, let alone fill the enormous shoes of the cult figure that is NicNat? 

English is a lot more mature and developed, both physically and from an experience point of view. He is already a number one ruck so will be able to take to the role very naturally. For Jackson that will be a massive ask. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mo64 said:

English is a free agent, so there's no reason why they won't target both he and Jackson. Both can play ruck/forward.

You sure about that....?

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:14 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

Because he is incredibly close to his family? and that's most likely a bigger pull then staying for success. 

Jackson situation is no different to any other player that have left a successful club to either go home or better offer elsewhere. 

His parents are still actively involved with the East Fremantle Football Club and have big ties there. Jackson's a bit like Hogan where majority of his childhood/best mates are still there.

Jackson is a unique character and a deep thinker. Maybe the actual pull is his family alone. He knows he'll get paid really well wherever he goes. He's filled and won a premiership, maybe he just wants to be home closer to his family.

Nothing wrong with that.

The pull of returning home to family is a big pull for a player.

Dangerfield came to Geelong to be close to family and how successful that's been for him !! 

He's now closer to family, so, good for him !!!

• Like 1

So Jackson is out of contract at years end and there is every possibility that the eagles get the spoon. Let us hope that Jackson doesn't get the [censored] about something coz he could then walk to them for nothing. I am not suggesting that this will happen and nor would I wish it to.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 7:53 AM, rpfc said:

We are not getting two top 5 picks for Jackson. We may get a top 3 pick and some change - if you don’t think that any club would pay that for someone who may become the best player in the game - you are not paying attention. 

Try to enjoy the year but convincing yourself clubs are not going to go after him hard is misguided and weird.

Getting only a top 3 pick and change is a massive loss for the MFC. He was a pick 3 himself, so we've put in 3 years of development and turned him into a franchise player and we get not much back. That would disappoint me a lot. Not to mention, we'd then have to search far and wide to find a number 1 ruckman after Gawn. Something that Geelong hasn't managed to do for 10 years.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Deedubs said:

Getting only a top 3 pick and change is a massive loss for the MFC. He was a pick 3 himself, so we've put in 3 years of development and turned him into a franchise player and we get not much back. That would disappoint me a lot. Not to mention, we'd then have to search far and wide to find a number 1 ruckman after Gawn. Something that Geelong hasn't managed to do for 10 years.

I don’t disagree. Although when I say change I mean something like ND14 so it’s a first round pick but ‘change’ as far as I am concerned - it’s unlikely to unearth a star.

Thats just an aside - we have to find a way to keep Jackson and Oliver as priority 1 and 1A. Then we will have to make decisions on IF we can keep Brayshaw, Harmes, Etc - our good players that are part of the fabric but that also easier to replace than our galaxy of stars; 1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 13, and 15. 

Edited by rpfc

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

He’ll sign with us and maybe end up at Freo in 4-6 years time. He ain’t going near the Eagles. He and Brayshaw are simply waiting for the new EBA before signing. The rest is media chatter

That's my take. I think he'll stay short term to kick the big decision down the road. Subconsciously he'll be working towards a move back west in 2-4 years. It's really upto the club to continue to be successful and make decisions to leave in a couple of years a difficult one again. 

With all that said I also wouldn't be surprised if he signed a godfather deal because he does seem to love the lads and the city

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

A snippet from this 'Age' article about ruckmen ruck-trade-merry-go-round

"The most significant signature of all is Melbourne’s out-of-contract emerging star Luke Jackson. Melbourne has outlined a compelling three-year succession plan for their premiership forward-ruckman to switch roles with Gawn and become first ruck and tall forward as part of their pitch for him to re-sign.

Originally from Perth, Jackson enjoys living in Melbourne and is attracted to staying but is also weighing up if he wants to return to live in Perth at some point. When is the right time to make a move, and what is best for his football development?"

My take:  he will stay but mulling over whether he signs for a short/medium/long term.

Just another piece of guesswork from a journalist. He would know as much anyone on here regarding Jackson's intentions, Nothing.

• Like 1

West Coast are struggling, they have very little talent coming through, do they want to put all their eggs into one basket like they did with Tim Kelly? I’m not a recruiter (I probably should be though) but paying overs for one player isn’t the answer when you have holes all through your list. 

At the moment, I don’t see the point on guessing what picks we’d ask for or what would be required to facilitate a deal. I doubt Jackson even knows what he’s going to do at this point. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

This mornings Age article was an opinion piece - nothing more, nothing less - with no new information.

Made interesting reading and highlighted the public knowledge about Jacko/Max's 3 year plan.

I always expect Luke will go home if family still there andhe's not hooked up in melb.  But it will be a giant contract in 3-5 years time, and good luck to him.

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

He’ll sign with us and maybe end up at Freo in 4-6 years time. He ain’t going near the Eagles. He and Brayshaw are simply waiting for the new EBA before signing. The rest is media chatter

The chatter is disturbing on one level, but never has any substance behind it usually.

As Oscar Wilde once said along these lines

,"...the only thing worse than being talked about,  is NOT being talked about..."

Keeps the Dees in the paper, coz there's stuff all news out of the club except how good we are, and that doesn't sell papers.

For arguments sake Jackson signs a two year extension taking him to the end of the 2024 season, at the start of the 2025 season our list could be looking something like this.

Note : players age in brackets at the start of the season. I think they’re right….

Rivers (23)    ?     Lever (28)

Bowey (22) Petty (25) Salem (29)

Langdon (29) Petracca (28) Brayshaw (28)

Spargo (24) Weid (27) ANB (28)

Fritsch (29) JVR (21) Pickett (23)

Gawn (33) Oliver (27) Viney (30)

BEDFORD (24) SPARROW (24) JORDAN (24) Harmes (29)

Potentially retired : May (32) TMac (32) Brown (32). These three players alone free up a lot cap space.

Without factoring in any future players that have been traded / drafted in, that is still a very competitive team. Our window is open for the next 5 years.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, layzie said:

I think they said on On The Couch Allen is the only WCE player under 23 to play 20 games let alone 50!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dl4e said:

So Jackson is out of contract at years end and there is every possibility that the eagles get the spoon. Let us hope that Jackson doesn't get the [censored] about something coz he could then walk to them for nothing. I am not suggesting that this will happen and nor would I wish it to.

I don’t think that’s a possibility. He is not a FA or RFA - he will get his license revoked and have to sit out the year and then reapply for 2024. Otherwise the Suns wouldn’t have any players left.

• Like 1