• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

8 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I have it on very good authority that the entire resort in Joondalup (where teams have done their week of iso in WA) has been entirely booked out/reserved until the end of September. 

Read into that what you will. 

I’d be surprised if the AFL didn’t book out the Joondalup resort for a month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demongirl35 said:

The fairytale of going to a grand final parade, main training session and grand final is off the cards this year (if we make it)  I just can’t see the grand final being in Melbourne. 
If we can’t travel and get to games then I hope Melbourne can organise some places for us to attend too (if we can by then) with large screens and at least can watch finals games with my fellow dees 

As much as my footy dream is to be at the G with another 100,000+ fans and us holding the cup and roaming the streets celebrating this year, I’ll take a packed oval with my dees fans 

When you put it like that, a part of me is happy to wait until next year assuming we’re in a multiple year window. Such a multitude of traditional and special events that us die hards could miss out on this year after waiting all these years.

If Melbourne actually doesn’t go into another lockdown prior to GF week I’d hope the AFL and state governments can do all they can to allow VICs to travel over to whatever state the grand final is.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

When you put it like that, a part of me is happy to wait until next year assuming we’re in a multiple year window. Such a multitude of traditional and special events that us die hards could miss out on this year after waiting all these years.

If Melbourne actually doesn’t go into another lockdown prior to GF week I’d hope the AFL and state governments can do all they can to allow VICs to travel over to whatever state the grand final is.

I hear ya but then I remember how 2018 was and then the next two years were and although this year has been great we haven’t won anything

so I’ll take it if we can but I do dream we all get to witness a grand final how your suppose to

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Not sure if todays numbers are more a positive or a negative.

20 new cases (negative)

70% fully quarantined (positive) which is a sharp rise from yesterday's 25%. 

I think it's more positive than negative. With the greatest respect to those who have Covid (I imagine it's no picnic for them, both from a health perspective but also because they need to remain isolated for 14 days at least), the bigger picture is that there are fewer people spreading this horrible disease. That leads to a reduction in risk of further transmission, a pre-cursor to being released from restrictions such as lockdown. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Better hope it isn't WA.  McCowan has said he doesn't 'expect' many attendees from interstate.  'Expect' or 'allow' - yes I'm being cynical.

He is capable of the dastardly when it comes to borders eg a flimsy reason to backdate 14 day quarantine for arrivals from eg Victoria.  Any border clampdown will give him a lot more seats to sell to corporates and locals. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Demongirl35 said:

The fairytale of going to a grand final parade, main training session and grand final is off the cards this year (if we make it)  I just can’t see the grand final being in Melbourne. 
If we can’t travel and get to games then I hope Melbourne can organise some places for us to attend too (if we can by then) with large screens and at least can watch finals games with my fellow dees 

As much as my footy dream is to be at the G with another 100,000+ fans and us holding the cup and roaming the streets celebrating this year, I’ll take a packed oval with my dees fans 

I'm willing to go back-to-back, win wherever this year and then have the full smorgasbord as you describe above in 2022.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Not sure if todays numbers are more a positive or a negative.

20 new cases (negative)

70% fully quarantined (positive) which is a sharp rise from yesterday's 25%. 

Those numbers are definitely more positive than negative.

The negative, though, is 5 of the 20 cases are still under investigation as to whether/how they're linked.

25 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Better hope it isn't WA.  McCowan has said he doesn't 'expect' many attendees from interstate.  'Expect' or 'allow' - yes I'm being cynical.

He is capable of the dastardly when it comes to borders eg a flimsy reason to backdate 14 day quarantine for arrivals from eg Victoria.  Any border clampdown will give him a lot more seats to sell to corporates and locals. 

I absolutely holdout hope it won't be in WA despite the fact that it probably will be.

Fantastic for a tiny portion of our membership base but the absolute pits for the majority that would do anything to get over for a once in a lifetime opportunity but simply can't.

If Victoria maintains its medium risk status as late as 14 days prior to the grand final I don't think anyone can enter WA unless under limited circumstances. I don't think travelling over for a footy game qualifies. No chance people can fly over under any circumstance

My understanding is that if VIC is downgraded to low risk prior to 11 September (14 days prior to GF), then anyone can fly over but must quarantine for 14 days. They would then be able to attend the GF.

If VIC is downgraded to low risk after 11 September and within 14 days of the grand final, then people can fly over but would have to quarantine for 14 days and would miss the GF

If VIC is downgraded to very low risk before the GF then anyone can fly over without quarantining.

I could be wrong but that's my understanding per below. 

https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/covid-communications/covid-19-coronavirus-controlled-border#mr

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but it's just Melbourne's luck to be on top of the ladder towards the pointy end of the season and being faced in a scenario where the GF may be played interstate when many fans who have been through hell over the years may have trouble attending. Obviously all depends on COVID etc and restrictions.

I don't care too much about the parade and some of that fan fare, but dream amount that moment, sitting at the G and hearing that final siren.

• Like 6

"It [vaccination] clearly works, so just go and get it."

From a man whose son caught Covid-19 at the MCG but didn't pass it on to his vaccinated parents.

See here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-11/melbourne-covid-delta-outbreak-vaccination-message/100366434?utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf248432453&utm_campaign=abc_melbourne&utm_source=t.co&sf248432453=1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Herd immunity is fast being called out as a myth due to vaccinated persons while very safe from hospitalisations being able to be infected.

So it's vaccinate or perish for those in the older anti vax category.

The discussion is now centering on child vaccines and I'm increasingly of the view that the goalposts for the next phase may move from 70 and 80% of the adult population to 70 and 80% of the entire population.

On a similar note I'm resigned to no significant opening of overseas borders before third quarter 2022

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/10/delta-variant-renders-herd-immunity-from-covid-mythical

Edited by Diamond_Jim

With the likelihood of finals not being in Melbourne increasing, we need to ensure enough support at finals interstate. 

so I’m proposing all members fly interstate once this lockdown finishes. 15K to WA, 15K to QLD, 15K to SA and maybe 5K to Geelong just in case (sorry)

Im happy to coordinate, PM me with your state of choice. 

thanks

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, DubDee said:

With the likelihood of finals not being in Melbourne increasing, we need to ensure enough support at finals interstate. 

so I’m proposing all members fly interstate once this lockdown finishes. 15K to WA, 15K to QLD, 15K to SA and maybe 5K to Geelong just in case (sorry)

thanks

State of bliss when we win the flag

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had both my jabs, have a GF guarantee membership and happy to turn up to watch wherever it’s played.

im not missing out on our best shot in ages for anything. it’s about time the authorities consider those fully vaccinated being allowed entry into these events.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Had both my jabs, have a GF guarantee membership and happy to turn up to watch wherever it’s played.

im not missing out on our best shot in ages for anything. it’s about time the authorities consider those fully vaccinated being allowed entry into these events.

In all seriousness, if the Grand Final is in Perth, i could see McGowan allowing participating club members (except any from NSW) to come to WA.  

But only if fully vaccinated. And perhaps with a clear PCR test within 24 hours of flying in.

So perhaps something like 40% of the capacity for locals, 10% for corporates and 25% for each of the two interstate teams.

Given it is very unlikely to be a WA team in the GF he could sell that to people in Perth.  

The big money WA will earn from a GF is people coming from interstate and spending money on accommodation, restaurants  etc etc.

Assuming full capacity, a mix like the one i note above, would mean something like 40, 000 interstate visitors. Which would mean a lot of money coming into the state.

Lets say on average each visitor spent $5000. That would be $200 million pumped directly into the WA economy over a handful of days. That sort of coin is nothing to sneeze at.

I went to the 2018 prelim. Obviously it was a woeful experience. Made more woeful by the insufferable Wet Coke fans and poor fashion. And it was damn hot. Fortunately i was sitting under cover so had protection from the sun.

But there was an inexplicable design flaw. I could not see the scoreboard from where i sat, or all the grounds or that matter as the stand above blocked the view. They have TVs hanging from the stand above so you can see replays etc. $1.5 billion to build a state of the art stadium and and you have seats where you cant see the $50 million scoreboard and parts of the ground

Leaving that design flaw aside, it is an amazing stadium. And would be a crazy place for a grand final with a full crowd. Particularly if that crowd did not have any peanut Wet Coke fans.

If the dees were playing, and they allowed vaccinated visitors from interstate, i'd go in heart beat.

That said, i shudder to think how much the flights will be.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DubDee said:

thanks

I am mystified by this DD. If they cannot be held in melb. why do you think you would be able to attend interstate. Surely the reason they would be interstate is that we still have cases in Vic. That being the case there is no chance IMO that WA would let Victorians in. Or am I missing something? 

2 minutes ago, binman said:

In all seriousness, if the Grand Final is in Perth, i could see McGowan allowing participating club members (except any from NSW) to come to WA.  

But only if fully vaccinated. 

So perhaps something like 40% of the capacity for locals, 10% for corporates and 25% for each of the two interstate teams.

Given it is very unlikely to be a WA team in the GF he could sell that to people in Perth.  

The big money WA will earn from a GF is people coming from interstate and spending money on accommodation, restaurants  etc etc.

Assuming full capacity, a mix like the one i note above, would mean something like 40, 000 interstate visitors.

Which would mean a lot of money coming into the state. Lets say on average each visitor spent $5000. That would be $200 million pumped directly into the WA economy over a handful of days. That sort of coin is nothing to sneeze at.

I went to the 2018 prelim. Obviously it was a woeful experience. Made more woeful by the insufferable Wet Coke fans and poor fashion. And it was damn hot. Fortunately i was sitting under cover so had protection from the sun.

But there was an inexplicable design flaw. I could not see the scoreboard from where i sat, or all the grounds or that matter as the stand above blocked the view. They have TVs hanging from the stand above so you can see replays etc. $1.5 billion to build a state of the art stadium and and you have seats where you cant see the $50 million scoreboard and parts of the ground

Leaving that design flaw aside, it is an amazing stadium. And would be a crazy place for a grand final with a full crowd. Particularly if that crowd did not have any peanut Wet Coke fans.

If the dees were playing, and they allowed vaccinated visitors from interstate, i'd go in heart beat.

That said, i shudder to think how much the flights will be.

Why would wa let us in vaccinated or not. Being vaccinate does not stop a person from passing on the virus or am I wrong?

Just now, old dee said:

Why would wa let us in vaccinated or not. Being vaccinate does not stop a person from passing on the virus or am I wrong?

it does greatly reduce it though, and if in the low chance of transmitting it is likely to be milder

but i agree with you in that i can't see mcgowan making any exemptions for vics whilst any covid cases exist in vic

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

it does greatly reduce it though, and if in the low chance of transmitting it is likely to be milder

but i agree with you in that i can't see mcgowan making any exemptions for vics whilst any covid cases exist in vic

Not even if they were fully vaccinated and had to have a clear PCR prior to flying?

Not much risk in that scenario i would have thought.