Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

COVID & AFL 2021

Demonland

Just starting 14 days iso at home due to covid pos case at my child's school. I have had two AZ shots, which gives me some comfort. Obviously kids not eligible yet

Nobodys fault, delta variant is insidious. Not the fault of any religious beliefs, cultural differences or community ties. It's a highly contagious disease that uses evolution to change and multiply. It finds a way. We all want to blame someone, anyone, but we have to be better than that.

Despite the vaccine roll out being a dogs breakfast, I urge anyone eligible for ANY vaccine to take it asap. If not for yourself, do it for the rest of us.

As Peter Doherty said, if you choose not to get vaccinated, you are on the side of the virus.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, old dee said:

I have good news to report. Just 30 minutes ago we heard the whole thing about exposure at my GD’s school was wrong. A false alarm. Needless to say there are a lot of [censored] off parents. Some sat in testing queues for hours. But the problem has gone away I feel better than if we won the GF.

Best news today mate. Thank god for that.

• Like 3

Would this delta variant have come into Australia if we closed our borders on all but the double dosed returnee Australians who had to prove that they did 28 days (yes 28, not 14) supervised quarantine prior to departure.

All but the absolute triple confirmed negative tested returnee Australian should have been allowed back into our country.

Some very tough decisions perhaps could’ve been made in order to prevent where we are today.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Would this delta variant have come into Australia if we closed our borders on all but the double dosed returnee Australians who had to prove that they did 28 days (yes 28, not 14) supervised quarantine prior to departure.

All but the absolute triple confirmed negative tested returnee Australian should have been allowed back into our country.

Some very tough decisions perhaps could’ve been made in order to prevent where we are today.

Did all of those people have access to vaccine and the financial support structure to self quarantine for a month prior to returning though?

A purpose built quarantine centre here is what was needed.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, deanox said:

A purpose built quarantine centre here is what was needed.

This. Should’ve been laying the foundations the moment it became ‘pandemic’. As a vaccine anecdote, I was quizzing a 17 year-old patient this week (2 days per-lockdown) how he would feel about getting the jab if a ‘vaccine bus’ just turned up at his school and all the kids were just marched through and injected (his mum and I had jabs administered this way in Primary school). He said he’d get it of course, then told me about his best mate who decided to go off to the Exhibition Building hub, and demand a vaccine, which he did….AZ, cos it was a quicker process. Did all the informed consent, done. I asked the boy if he was going to do likewise….he replied ‘maybe’, but his mate said it was a bit painful in the arm. 😖.

As is the modern way, there’s way too much discussion of choice going on - an extension of spurious arguments for individual liberties that in this case obscure the truth that lives and deaths and the health of broader society is at play. This is not the approach we need to quell a pandemic. It’s a [censored]ing [censored] in the arm, FFS. Get it done. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

The irony is that now in NSW could be a perfect time to have a mass return (2k per day) of vaccinated Australians overseas.

The covid positive rates of returness would be around 20 per day maximum which could be managed through home/hotel quarantine. That's a minimal increment over the 2,000 per week which is being managed in the NSW community.

Won't happen for so many reasons but what always disappoints me is that we never have serious discussions along these lines because it would be admitting short term political failure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Just starting 14 days iso at home due to covid pos case at my child's school. I have had two AZ shots, which gives me some comfort. Obviously kids not eligible yet

Nobodys fault, delta variant is insidious. Not the fault of any religious beliefs, cultural differences or community ties. It's a highly contagious disease that uses evolution to change and multiply. It finds a way. We all want to blame someone, anyone, but we have to be better than that.

Despite the vaccine roll out being a dogs breakfast, I urge anyone eligible for ANY vaccine to take it asap. If not for yourself, do it for the rest of us.

As Peter Doherty said, if you choose not to get vaccinated, you are on the side of the virus.

A friend and her family were in iso during lockdown 4 as their daughter was in the same class as the child who tested positive at the Nth Melb school.  They said it was a bit easier knowing that the rest of us were in lockdown and not out having a good time.  But they missed exercise as they live in a small apartment.  Hope your iso also goes well.

Agree, it doesn't help trying to find fault or blame.  Its a time for all of us to hang in there together.

Best wishes to you and your child.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, old dee said:

I have good news to report. Just 30 minutes ago we heard the whole thing about exposure at my GD’s school was wrong. A false alarm. Needless to say there are a lot of [censored] off parents. Some sat in testing queues for hours. But the problem has gone away I feel better than if we won the GF.

All's well that ends well Mr Old.  Put your feet up and enjoy those pancakes!  Well i will be anyway 😄

While there could be a number of factors coming in to play that effect this result, such as natural immunity from prior infection to Alpha etc, on the surface this data from San Diego appears fairly promising for effectiveness vs Delta.

• Like 1

Was looking at USA hospitalisation rates today. Covid cases running at 100k per day.

The last time the daily case rate was at that level was February.

With 50% vaccinated you might expect to see a reasonable decrease in the hospitalisation rate compared to February but no they're almost the same.

There are relatively few vaccinated people in hospital which means in simple terms the present strain is hospitalising the unvaccinated at roughly twice the rate as the strain which was prevalent in February.

You can play with these figures around the edges but the trend does not lie.

Get the jab and we will need close to 90% of over 12's jabbed to beat this.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
Keeping Demonstone happy
  • Like 7

Damien Barrett on the footy show isn’t a massive subscriber to the Perth finals hub and is quietly confident that finals will be played in Melbourne aside from the grand final.

I would rather a home final at the MCG in front of nobody rather than giving up a footballing advantage in Perth. And further to that, clubs don’t get the gate proceeds in finals.

Fingers crossed we can somehow get rid of this outbreak and perhaps see our boys live  in an MCG semi or prelim final.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Was looking at USA hospitalisation rates today. Covid cases running at 100k per day.

The last time the daily case rate was at that level was February.

With 50% vaccinated you might expect to see a reasonable decrease in the hospitalisation rate compared to February but no there almost the same.

There are relatively few vaacinated people in hospital which means in simple terms the present strain is hospitalising the unvaccinated at roughly twice the rate as the strain which was prevalent in February.

You can play with these figures around the edges but the trend does not lie.

Get the jab and we will need close to 90% of over 12's jabbed to beat this.

Totally agree and encourage everyone to get vaccinated.

I'm not so confident of us ever beating this.  Even if we get to 90% at some point we need to open borders.  Even with the best quarantine centres we know the virus gets out before and after quarantine. 

And our nearest neighbours:  Indonesia, PNG and Fiji are in a world of hurt with covid.  We need to help them and fortunately we are helping a little bit, altho some folks may not like us diverting our vaccines to them.  It is essential we support them as a good neighbour and support ours and the regions long-term interests.

Sadly, my view it can't be beaten until the whole region is safe from it so we will need to learn to live with it. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Scomo and Gladys and Co are not in the business of making tough decisions: it's all about the economy, see....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

All's well that ends well Mr Old.  Put your feet up and enjoy those pancakes!  Well i will be anyway 😄

Would you believe she told her mother she was going for a bike ride and took off for Nana and Pa this morning. Her mother called her home half way when she discovered what she was doing. It was possible because of the smart watch we had given her. How can I not love this child she is the greatest. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BDA said:

Make sure you bring along to a game as soon covid permits (next season hopefully)

She has been wanting to go for a while but of course Covid has killed that for two years.

• Sad 1

Queensland lifted its lockdown today although it had 9 cases. We had 11 and we’re already a certainty to extend beyond Thursday even though that’s 5 days away. Sure we have most of our cases still in the community but for the government to leak their all that many days ahead doesn’t fill me with any confidence in their ability to get this under control.

2 minutes ago, MO FINE said:

Queensland lifted its lockdown today although it had 9 cases. We had 11 and we’re already a certainty to extend beyond Thursday even though that’s 5 days away. Sure we have most of our cases still in the community but for the government to leak their all that many days ahead doesn’t fill me with any confidence in their ability to get this under control.

It’s almost a certainty that our lockdown will be extended beyond Thursday. Like everyone else I sincerely hope Lockdown version 6.0 is our last. But no one’s holding their breath. 

4 minutes ago, MO FINE said:

Misrepresenting the picture a bit here.

Parts of Queensland are still in lockdown, and for the rest there's still a fair amount of restrictions.

QLD from what I read, had 1 case in the community during the infectious period, Victoria had 11. Fair difference there.

Also, not totally sure why you think the government apparently 'leaking' that the lockdown may be extended has any bearing on their ability to get this under control?

• Like 5

700k at a biker rally in Sturgis South Dakota.

What could possibly go wrong.

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-health-coronavirus-pandemic-south-dakota-sd-state-wire-b729c1e92cb7e0f74c12343c483f9474

The Black Hills of South Dakota roared with motorcycles and crowds Friday as the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally kicked off, with mostly mask-less rallygoers packed shoulder-to-shoulder at bars and rock shows, despite a rise in COVID-19 cases in the state.

Organizers expect at least 700,000 people during the 10-day event that is a rendezvous for bikers, who connect over their love for motorcycles. For some, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime goal to make it to Sturgis; others faithfully make the pilgrimage year after year.

“It’s just a great big family atmosphere, everybody’s out here for the same purpose — we all love motorcycles,” said Aaron Harper. “If you’re a motorcyclist, you have to see it at least once in your life.”

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

700k at a biker rally in Sturgis South Dakota.

What could possibly go wrong.

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-health-coronavirus-pandemic-south-dakota-sd-state-wire-b729c1e92cb7e0f74c12343c483f9474

The Black Hills of South Dakota roared with motorcycles and crowds Friday as the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally kicked off, with mostly mask-less rallygoers packed shoulder-to-shoulder at bars and rock shows, despite a rise in COVID-19 cases in the state.

Organizers expect at least 700,000 people during the 10-day event that is a rendezvous for bikers, who connect over their love for motorcycles. For some, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime goal to make it to Sturgis; others faithfully make the pilgrimage year after year.

“It’s just a great big family atmosphere, everybody’s out here for the same purpose — we all love motorcycles,” said Aaron Harper. “If you’re a motorcyclist, you have to see it at least once in your life.”

It may well be your last “see” of anything.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, old dee said:

Would you believe she told her mother she was going for a bike ride and took off for Nana and Pa this morning. Her mother called her home half way when she discovered what she was doing. It was possible because of the smart watch we had given her. How can I not love this child she is the greatest. 

The age of innocence!  Love it

• Like 2