CHANGES: Rd 15 vs Sydney

Demonland

On 8/29/2020 at 10:56 PM, sisso said:

Any thought that we should give Max another rest and let Preuss ruck a full game? Sydney aren’t that strong in the ruck and we have to back up soon again...

Agree, freshen Max up for Freo. 

Why is no one mentioning Bennell? He is fesh and can snag a couple from a few possies and is a good scoring assist player.

We were desperate to get him right and now he doesn't even seem to be in the equation.

Personally I think we need to make a few changes and bring in several fresh players, who will be able to run the game out.

Then again what do I know, I thought we would be too slow against the Saints. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tom Dyson said:

Outs: Kozzie, Hibbo (inj), jones, hannan  

Ins: Bedford,  Lockart, jetta, fritsch 

Kozzie really did nothing, he's going to be a star but he is still developing and will need some time before he can be consistent. Even then, being a first year player in a fairly rapid year i think it might be good for him to have a rest. Bedford is not getting enough love on here either, thought he was really good round 1 and deserves another shot at it. Jetta could also be a big chance for hibbo or jones. Spargo could come out for Corey Wagner but as some have mentioned, I think spargo did enough to keep his spot. 

Does anyone know how Marty Hore is tracking?, was really good last year and should definitely come in this week if hes ready to go. 

Don't need Locky and Jets in same side Basically Locky has replaced Nev in the team .

Agree Bedford could be given a go if Kossie  is rested. 

Fritsch for Hannan and Tommo back to defence and OMac out to structure with Baker or Hunt to the wing fir pace.

Not a bad idea to rest Max fir either this game or Freo so he is cherry ripe for GWS.

• Like 3

Just now, 58er said:

Don't need Locky and Jets in same side Basically Locky has replaced Nev in the team .

Agree Bedford could be given a go if Kossie  is rested. 

Fritsch for Hannan and Tommo back to defence and OMac out to structure with Baker or Hunt to the wing fir pace.

Not a bad idea to rest Max fir either this game or Freo so he is cherry ripe for GWS.

PS Hore is out for weeks still and hasn't played in any matches at least since the first 3 rounds or last year or pre season in late 2019 when only fitness work was bring done

Consult our injury list !

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Rusty What bubble are we out of ?

We are in a hub in Qld snd for nearly  a week at Cairns I believe then back to Qld .

What  bubble are you talking about? The Gold  Coast one?

ouch cam newton GIF by Tomas Ferraro, Sports Editor

Apparently these bubbles 58...allowing full contact but NIL injury.  Ok maybe the odd concussion or two

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, A F said:

The only reason we wouldn't play Kozzie against the Swans is if we're resting him. We won't be dropping him.

Why not, he has been poor since the North game.

A total of 15 touches and 1 goal the last three games (averaging 5 touches and 0.3 goals), and his pressure has fallen away    Should be dropped on form, and I would bring Bedford in to keep the team balance right.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Like 4

Good opportunity to get some game time in a few of the fringe players as we come off a 5 day break and a big travel schedule.

Kozzie Out, Bedford In

Hannan Out, Hunt in

McDonald Out, Smith In

Would be good to find a spot for Lockart - perhaps Spargo out and reshuffle

Fritch only comes in in leiu of Hannan or Brown.  Id keep Brown and worth giving Hunt a run.

Bennell to save fro Freo game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deelicious89 said:

Might need some fresh legs after a taxing game on Saturday night changes from me would be
Out:
Hannan - thought he was a good user of the footy until Sat
Jones - Couple of costly turnovers hurt us and didnt impact the game especially after half time
Pickett - Doesn't do near enough to impact games and doesnt provide enough pressure cant keep carrying him
OMAC - just doesnt have any enthusiasm or drive to be out there always losing his man like with Membrey late in the game

In:
Harmes - take him off half back and get him on a wing or middle
Smith/Baker - One of the two might be worth a run and could be used in multiple positions. Believe we need a third taller back so Tomlinson can play wing and sweep across the backline
Hunt - Think he deserves a run seemed to be in good form and could use some run and pressure
Fritsch - Obviously dropped for turning up late to training so would get him back in
**Lockhart for Hibby if injured 

On the chopping block: Melksham brings the same stupid selfish attitude complaining on the field, waving his arms and not doing the team things he should also be replaced hated seeing that and Vanders not sure what he really brings to the team anymore after being a bull.

Number four in the comp among forwards for pressure acts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Also your changes :

Lockhart  should come back If we want  Speed and run and carry He is prob the best defender to give it consistently And we usually select 7 defenders ( prev counting Harmes)  but Tommo can provide some flexibility along with Brown.

Reckon no harm in trying Locky on the wing or even Rivers. Both run well and are quick.

Think maybe  Kossie for a rest Bedford ? To replace him. Or ANB  

Vanders needs managing and either Hannan or Melksham replaced by  Harley snd Fritsch.

Need a good team effort to get points possibly 5:6/7 goal win.

Lets get in the 8 Dees !!

On a slightly more serious note 58....

Imho keep the changes to a minimum with a bit of management to lock this match in and let's get a bit more secure in the eight.

Yes to Lockhart but not for the run imo.  Stay at home on Papley.  He is that dangerous he deserves a dedicated lock and i think Jay is the best of the bunch here.  Sure, he won't keep him completely quiet but we don't want Papley doing to us what Tracc did to the Saints.  Just need to lessen the damage somewhat.

Keep Rivers playing as is for the intercept, bit of run and top notch disposal skills coming off HB.  Let him do what he's doing well and keep building his confidence.   Too early days to play a hard lock on a hardened nut like Papley imv.

Kozzy managed for Harley or ANB sounds about right.  Actually i would bring both in as Hannan deserves a spell after that ordinary performance.

Harmes for a managed Vanders.   Harmes coming in to the non-Mr Ed wing allows Tomlinson to push back into the O-Mac role, allowing Lever to remain as the 3rd man intercept role assisting May etc.

So for mine it's...

In:  Lockhart, Harley, ANB, Harmes

Out:  O-Mac (omitted), Kozzy (managed), Hannan (omitted), Vanders (managed).

Edited by Rusty Nails

On 8/29/2020 at 10:44 PM, Jaded said:

I’m sorry to say this but I’m thinking Neal Bullen will get recalled. 

In a normal season I would cringe at that idea however we will need some fresh legs and running power over the coming weeks so ANB would be a good strategic in.

• Like 2

Delicious 89 posted.

OMAC - just doesnt have any enthusiasm or drive to be out there always losing his man like with Membrey late in the game

So under this analogy we drop someone who had our second highest 1% and a reasonable number of possessions for a defender purely because a fwd  got a 2 yard break and the ball delivered to him on a platter.

As I have mentioned on another post. OMac could have 20 possessions, 10 marks and 10 spoils and still not meet the criteria of some people purely because he is OMac ,the team player. May & Lever are a lot mor comfortable with him in the side.

So on that basis we get rid of May because he got outmarked by Marshall twice late in the game. !!!!

The short turnaround time and the presumably humid weather in Cairns suggests to me the possiblity a couple of players will be managed. Given Goodwin was at great pains a few weeks ago to say that he saw no need for us to "manage" players, those that are outs will be either listed as "injured" or "omitted". Nevertheless, whatever label is given, I expect about 4 changes.

Out: Hibberd (injured, and a genuine one), Pickett (omitted), Hannan (omitted), vandenBerg (omitted)

In:   Harmes, Fritsch, ANB, Hunt

I suspect O Mac keeps his spot to allow Lever and May some more freedom. We are truly lucky that May can play on talls, smalls or as an intercept player. 

I also think Melksham played his best game for a few weeks, as did Jones (other than an obvious howler) so can't see them missing and Spargo did excellent defensive work. J Wagner had a horrible first quarter but turned it around and I think will get another game before Hibberd comes back for the second Cairns game.

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Why is no one mentioning Bennell? He is fesh and can snag a couple from a few possies and is a good scoring assist player.

We were desperate to get him right and now he doesn't even seem to be in the equation.

Personally I think we need to make a few changes and bring in several fresh players, who will be able to run the game out.

Forgot about Bennell. Wirth a chance for sure.

On 8/30/2020 at 10:23 AM, binman said:

Here's what i think will happen with selections (and also what i agree should happen):

Out:

Jones: needs a freshen up and two games in 9 games a perfect opportunity 

Kozzie: needs a freshen up and two games in 9 games a perfect opportunity

Hibbo: bad sprain, makes sense to give him at least the swans game to recover

Hannan: was given an opportunity with the late withdrawal of Jones last week and hasn't taken it. Kicking was terrible yesterday and could not stick a tackle (a caveat, i'm guessing he did work super hard to cover the switich and outlet kicks and if so Goody may well reward the work ethic)

In

Bennell: comes in for Jones and plays on the win. They will be thinking a week at time of course and not get ahead of themselves, but have to be planning for finals. If they want Harley available as an option for finals he needs some game time. With no disrespect to Swans and Freo these next two games are the best opportunity to give him some. Will need to be a lot more physical though than he was in the Crows game if he is to remain in the team. 

Hunt: the chance to return bit on the dees website is usually pretty close to to the mark in terms of who comes in (this week flagging Omac, Rivers and Wagner) and he was a player highlighted. Seems an obvious swap for Hannan, with the added bonus of a better tackler and more speed

Bedford: comes in to play the small forward's role (though i suspect Corey Wagner might also be a chance for this role)

Smith: a natural swap for hibberd. Wasn't nearly as bad as many suggested as he was given the role of a big. Sit him on Papley with orders to wear him like a glove crunch him at every opportunity. Papley is clever and will likely snag a goal or two but Smith has the speed and strength to go with him and make life difficult for him (lochart might also be a chance for this role)

A change. 

I heard May being interviewed on the ABC on Sunday (a show i really like, starts at 12 noon).

Asked about fritter, said he slept in and missed the bus. Drove to the ground himself getting there 10 mins late or os.

Said he was dead unlucky as the coaches had given them a rev up about the need to get even the smallest things spot on. And the next day he sleeps in. Laughed about it.

I had assumed something more serious.

Said he would come straight back in. And i believe him.

Sorry Hunt, you're out. Fritter comes in for Hannan. Please tackle Fritter. Not you Hunt.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, binman said:

A change. 

I heard May being interviewed on the ABC on Sunday (a show i really like, starts at 12 noon).

Asked about fritter, said he slept in and missed the bus. Drove to the ground himself getting there 10 mins late or os.

Said he was dead unlucky as the coaches had given them a rev up about the need to get even the smallest things spot on. And the next day he sleeps in. Laughed about it.

I had assumed something more serious.

Said he would come straight back in. And i believe him.

Sorry Hunt, you're out. Fritter comes in for Hannan. Please tackle Fritter. Not you Hunt.

They have cars they can use in the hub? Boy, that's asking for trouble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

I had read on here that as part of his management Bennell would not be available and was planned for return against Freo. Until he is confident in his body to run flat out both ways then I would let him continue to gain that in the scratch sessions. 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

On a slightly more serious note 58....

Imho keep the changes to a minimum with a bit of management to lock this match in and let's get a bit more secure in the eight.

Yes to Lockhart but not for the run imo.  Stay at home on Papley.  He is that dangerous he deserves a dedicated lock and i think Jay is the best of the bunch here.  Sure, he won't keep him completely quiet but we don't want Papley doing to us what Tracc did to the Saints.  Just need to lessen the damage somewhat.

Keep Rivers playing as is for the intercept, bit of run and top notch disposal skills coming off HB.  Let him do what he's doing well and keep building his confidence.   Too early days to play a hard lock on a hardened nut like Papley imv.

Kozzy managed for Harley or ANB sounds about right.  Actually i would bring both in as Hannan deserves a spell after that ordinary performance.

Harmes for a managed Vanders.   Harmes coming in to the non-Mr Ed wing allows Tomlinson to push back into the O-Mac role, allowing Lever to remain as the 3rd man intercept role assisting May etc.

So for mine it's...

In:  Lockhart, Harley, ANB, Harmes

Out:  O-Mac (omitted), Kozzy (managed), Hannan (omitted), Vanders (managed).

Sounds pretty good RN understand your changes and no probs if they occurred.

Re Rivers I didn't want him on Papley and agree 100% to let him play HBF where he excels. Locky the one yo mind Papley.

Only  mentioned some options for flexibility and run on the non Ed Langdon wing.

Pushing  Tommo Back in defence as the 3rd tall makes sense. Of course you haven't mentioned Hibbo who I would rest this week fir Freo if fit.

Important  Lever is able to float about and intercept And him and aMAYzing  controlling the defence with Salem's excellent disposal.

A committed team effort in Cairns should set up our last 2 games.

Liviing in Brisbane I can't wait for us to play at tha Gabba agsin.

Cheers Rusty 

3 minutes ago, 58er said:

Sounds pretty good RN understand your changes and no probs if they occurred.

Re Rivers I didn't want him on Papley and agree 100% to let him play HBF where he excels. Locky the one yo mind Papley.

Only  mentioned some options for flexibility and run on the non Ed Langdon wing.

Pushing  Tommo Back in defence as the 3rd tall makes sense. Of course you haven't mentioned Hibbo who I would rest this week fir Freo if fit.

Important  Lever is able to float about and intercept And him and aMAYzing  controlling the defence with Salem's excellent disposal.

A committed team effort in Cairns should set up our last 2 games.

Liviing in Brisbane I can't wait for us to play at tha Gabba agsin.

Cheers Rusty 

I stand corrected on RIvers.  I'm not convinced with Harmes at HB if he has to for Rivers on a wing.  Mind you i think Rivers could do quite well in this posi also as you say.   For now i'd stick with Harmes on the other wing for AVB.  Hibbo!?  Fingers crossed.  That really throws a spanner in the works for me.

You are lucky to be up there 58 and witnessing live sport.  Groundhog day down here at the moment.  Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

ouch cam newton GIF by Tomas Ferraro, Sports Editor

Apparently these bubbles 58...allowing full contact but NIL injury.  Ok maybe the odd concussion or two

What rate they made of ? Solid something ?

1 minute ago, Rusty Nails said:

I stand corrected on RIvers.  I'm not convinced with Harmes at HB if he has to for Rivers on a wing.  Mind you i think Rivers could do quite well in this posi also as you say.   For now i'd stick with Harmes on the other wing for AVB.  Hibbo!?  Fingers crossed.  That really throws a spanner in the works for me.

You are lucky to be up there 58 and witnessing live sport.  Groundhog day down here at the moment.  Enjoy!

Thanks RN yes It's lucky times we msy even jag the Granny What if they Dees surprised us eh ? Anything can happen this year IMO.

Rivers  played in the centre in a recent practice game  thAts why I reckon he could at a pinch play on the ring or centre. If absolutely needed. 

Stsy safe and keep smiling when we win!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, picket fence said:

Garbage.. if you are getting many tackles in .. It means you are second to the ball.

If Harley Bennell isn't a better bet than this guy then we are not developing our scoring power! 

Bennell offers no forward pressure 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I had read on here that as part of his management Bennell would not be available and was planned for return against Freo. Until he is confident in his body to run flat out both ways then I would let him continue to gain that in the scratch sessions. 

100% agree.  Bennell although skilful was definitely carried through most games he played.   As with Jones earlier in the year, get his body cherry ripe and have confidence to run at full pace not the plodder pace he was going at earlier in the year.   
My changes this week:,

out - Hannan, Hibbo (inj) and O Mac

in - Hunt, Lockhart and ANB or Bedford 

15 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Bennell offers no forward pressure 

I don't have access to pressure acts inside 50 D11 (Bin....anyone?) but....

Tackles inside 50 (2020 season averages)

Bennell  0.4

Spargo  0.4

Edit* ... Just found them! ...

Pressure Acts inside 50

Bennell 8.8

Spargo 11.4

Edited by Rusty Nails

Just now, Rusty Nails said:

Bennell  0.4

Spargo  0.4

This is interesting but I dare say Spargs pressure acts will be far and above Bennell 

3 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Bennell  0.4

Spargo  0.4

You are not comparing him to much RN. Still says a lot about About Spargo. 

5 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

This is interesting but I dare say Spargs pressure acts will be far and above Bennell 

Found them...see edit above D11 ?