Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jesse Hogan on the way out at Freo?

Bizzell Blitz

On 10/27/2020 at 8:07 PM, Cards13 said:

A player 2 clubs haven’t been able to get the best out of, 25yrs old and didn’t show a huge amount this season. Sure he’ll win 3 flags before he’s done. 

Didn't he win the Rising Star ahead of Cripps? Not too shabby.

• Like 1

I'd love to know the real reason Melbourne and Freo cooled on Jesse. Other than he likes his partying and needs better off field dedication.

Oh well, will have to wait for an Open Mike special in 20 years. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mono said:

Lols I was being a little sarcastic with some MFCSS on top but how long ago did he win that? 
Mono I am a massive Hoges fan/dreamer but logically he isn’t getting any better from here as much as we’d hoped he would be winning us flags. The likelihood of him being just an above average player at the Tigs is positive. I’d be surprised if he is the very special player we all hoped for.

8 minutes ago, The Lobster Effect said:

I'd love to know the real reason Melbourne and Freo cooled on Jesse. Other than he likes his partying and needs better off field dedication.

Oh well, will have to wait for an Open Mike special in 20 years. 

A telling moment is if you can,  watch the video of his attitude when he left the field during his last game for us against the swans and the look of Goodwin’s face. His exit papers were stamped then and there.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jesse going to freo could potentially [censored] up our chance of packaging McDonald and Pruess for a first rounder.

If the giants get Hogan then they won't want Tmac.

Some seem to think Hogan to Richmond is still in play.

Also, T Mac may be seen a defender for GWS? 

8 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Did you also get cancer yourself in the months after your father died from cancer?
Did you have the media always watching and photographing your recreational activities? 
Did you have other pressures from your job playing out publicly?
Did you have other health issues directly related to your job impeding you?
Did you have family pressures forcing you to relocate while experiencing health issues and trauma?

Jesse has made poor choices for sure, and his career will likely be cut short as a result. Your comments however are a bit misguided and insensitive. 

Some of this applies to me, and some obviously doesn't. None of it is that relevant to the point I made though. 

For what it's worth, I agree with you - it's incredibly sad to see where Jesse has ended up. I was beyond excited when he arrived and thought we had landed the next Wayne Carey

I suspect Jesse was heading down the wrong path before all this stuff happened. And his own illness obviously affected his mindset, you're absolutely right. 

I could be wrong, but my gut reaction has always been that it's naive to assume that what happened to Jesse's father destroyed his football career. Who knows I guess. 

7 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

This is an incredibly hurtful position to take.

People deal with loss in different ways. People grieve in different ways.

If you managed to move on from your father's death and get to a point where your career is going well, hats off to you.

But the fact you were capable of that doesn't mean everyone else should be as well. 

A "just get over it" attitude like this is not helpful.

That's probably fair enough. I don't think I intended to display a 'just get over it' attitude, but you're probably right. 

I just don't think that was what caused him to blow up his talent, and Melbourne supporters in particular give him an easy out for it. I could easily be wrong. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

I could be wrong, but my gut reaction has always been that it's naive to assume that what happened to Jesse's father destroyed his football career. Who knows I guess. 

I would’ve thought the larger issue isn’t that is wasn’t just his father passing but the multitude of issues detailed by @Lord Travis 

I really can’t think of any footballer who had had a successful career who’s been able to deal with everything that has happened to Jesse. Remember that the talk of him going home started the moment we signed him on the underage draft. From that moment on he had to deal with that pressure from the media, his family, his friends, and the MFC (and it’s fans). 

Then came the health issues with his father, and up until that point there had been absolutely no issues with his professionalism and he was always talked about as being quiet and reserved. 

In the end I think it all just became too much for him, I certainly can’t imagine seeing any player reach their full potential with everything he’s been through. Doesn’t give him a free pass on his decisions but I can understand why he is where he is.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mono said:

I think comments here are unfair to the Clubs when you say " Two Clubs who could not get the best out of Hogan " Frankly Hogan is his worst enemy, Hogan being so full of his own self ability tore his playing days apart. Frankly we were a better Club without him. There is no room in a Football Club for player individualism. 

1 hour ago, Ohio USA - David said:

I think comments here are unfair to the Clubs when you say " Two Clubs who could not get the best out of Hogan " Frankly Hogan is his worst enemy, Hogan being so full of his own self ability tore his playing days apart. Frankly we were a better Club without him. There is no room in a Football Club for player individualism. 

Lol what rubbish, That is one of the biggest fallacies of sports. Individualism is a part of every team, it’s how a coach/manager is able to harness that into a collective pursuit for success that defines the team and players

• Like 4

This year we offered a lifeline to Harley Bennell snd it was a ride of faith and hope till in typical Harley fashion a car crash occurred due to hub restrictions and no doubt frustration at not playing and having to watch others perform some not that consistently.

Fast forward to NOW and two of the best 50 footballers in the AFL are now looking ( or being forced to look ) for new homes.

On face value Their skills are what we want ie an outside mid who does butcher the ball at times ( no more than the odd Melb player probably)   and  a forward who we badly need Who could head our misfiring attack but who has a litany of personal challenges that prevent him elevating his immense talent  to a 50/60 goal a season star.

What I am trying to do is Look as positively AS POSSIBLE at this Scenario  and ask is there any way in this crazy AFL circus we could manage to Take the chance on both Coming off in our team over the next 3/4 years? 

I s it worth the risk fir the reward that if successful 2 virtual A graders in vital positions would with another Speedy winger (Isaac Smith eg) I reckon  that would Fast track us to a list that could IMMEDIATELY challenge the Tigers and other Clubs. 

Now Goody would still have to cobble together a game plan worth it's salt and our skills fir about half our existing list still need fine tuning but it's one way we could bridge the gap with 6 A graders and a no if B graders plus the outrageously promising youngsters we have Recently recruited and many players teaching that magic 10O  games block for peak team and individual performance.

YES we would need to move on Tommy Mac as his salary for 2 years could prevent this idea being realistic Plus the big Contract decisions looming for our home grown stars in Trac snd Clarry Await during 2021.

This proposal is left field but bold and has been tried before viz Moore and Templeton In the 70/80's  and failed for various reasons. That is not a reason to abandon this idea or reject it out of hand.

Some creative accounting and player management real empathy fir the individuals and what they could add to the existing talent and the growth in confidence plus The team first mantra with all on board may just create something that As of now could take 3/4 more years to develop Our full list to a flag chance.

Yes it's risky and a bit unconventional with slightly damaged goods but after 56 years I would as a 62 year supporter and 56 year member be fully supportive of this idea or something similar while we have a good base of 18/20 players to kick start a legitimate flag tilt.

Happy for and expect plenty to oppose this idea but remember how much longer are you prepared to wait for ultimate success?

8 hours ago, Pates said:

I would’ve thought the larger issue isn’t that is wasn’t just his father passing but the multitude of issues detailed by @Lord Travis 

I really can’t think of any footballer who had had a successful career who’s been able to deal with everything that has happened to Jesse. Remember that the talk of him going home started the moment we signed him on the underage draft. From that moment on he had to deal with that pressure from the media, his family, his friends, and the MFC (and it’s fans). 

Then came the health issues with his father, and up until that point there had been absolutely no issues with his professionalism and he was always talked about as being quiet and reserved. 

In the end I think it all just became too much for him, I certainly can’t imagine seeing any player reach their full potential with everything he’s been through. Doesn’t give him a free pass on his decisions but I can understand why he is where he is.  

While I agree with you in that we can't think of any successful footballer who's had to deal with so many issues, it doesn't mean there haven't been any. Some players are intensely private and would not tell the world the problems they face. In addition, media coverage today exposes players to far more scrutiny, including their private lives than ever before and finally, the use of social media by the players themselves or their friends and family provides another avenue for information to be disclosed. In short, I suspect there have been many players facing similarly difficult journeys but without the public being aware of the problems they have faced. 

22 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Lol what rubbish, That is one of the biggest fallacies of sports. Individualism is a part of every team, it’s how a coach/manager is able to harness that into a collective pursuit for success that defines the team and players

you are entitled to your views but please respect others.. Just shows how immature you are...

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, TheoX said:

AFL site saying we spoke to him.

We apparently spoke to him last week and are not pursuing further. I'd wager he winds up at GWS but will likely be out of the game by age 26-27.

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Travis said:

We apparently spoke to him last week and are not pursuing further. I'd wager he winds up at GWS but will likely be out of the game by age 26-27.

Fair enough, hadn't seen that before. Agree he'll go to gws.

Jason McCartney from GWS was interviewed on SEN before midday today and provided a highly qualified "yes" as an answer to whether GWS was considering Hogan. In effect, he said GWS was looking at everyone that might be available, including Tom McDonald. It was either an honest straight bat response and means that GWS is no more or less interested in Hogan than in any other available player or he's being dishonest and they're red-hot to go after Hogan but don't want to disclose their interest.

In other words, don't read too much into everything you hear over the next few weeks.

On 10/28/2020 at 9:22 PM, Mono said:

Not so long ago we had a number of players winning rounds. They all ended up poor. I don't attach much importance to that award.⁰

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Jason McCartney from GWS was interviewed on SEN before midday today and provided a highly qualified "yes" as an answer to whether GWS was considering Hogan. In effect, he said GWS was looking at everyone that might be available, including Tom McDonald. It was either an honest straight bat response and means that GWS is no more or less interested in Hogan than in any other available player or he's being dishonest and they're red-hot to go after Hogan but don't want to disclose their interest.

In other words, don't read too much into everything you hear over the next few weeks.

I never do LDC. You know what is the second language of the afl. Add commentators who are trying to justify their existence and you have  the greatest fog since 19th century London.

Edited by old dee
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Away from his family, playing for the soulless rabble that is GWS....

Can see it going pear shaped very quickly for Hogan if he goes there.