TEAMS: Rd 04 vs Geelong

Demonland

20 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Sorry mate, I don't totally get what you mean.

Successful teams...........= no favourites.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i wonder if the racial attack has had any effect on nev?

i'm sure he'll be back

they're placing a lot of faith in a very inexperienced defence - smith, lockhart and rivers would barely have a season's worth of game experience

Lack of pace, lack of run and a non penetrating kick is what has had an effect on Nev.

They can’t keep playing him on opposition talls so as to hide him from their quick smalls. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JTR said:

Really?

He's played 3 games, had 25 calf injuries and not run pain free in 5 years (until now), and you are surprised they are cautiously easing him back into a full workload?

Then why was he picked "Back to back" vs Essendive??  Amazing really!

I think we are struggling already! If we lose then watch the selections of many to be even more scrutinised on Demonland

Edited by picket fence
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

He played the intraclub. The intraclub was the same effort as the Essendon game.

Seriously, how hard is this to understand?

If we are now selecting teams on intraclub games then we are in more strife than previously thought! The SAME effort?? From what I learned it was nothing more than glorified Circle work!

Ok then why was he not rested in the "Hard as nails" Intraclub game so that he would be right Tommorrow???

5 minutes ago, picket fence said:

If we are now selecting teams on intraclub games then we are in more strife than previously thought! The SAME effort?? From what I learned it was nothing more than glorified Circle work!

Ok then why was he not rested in the "Hard as nails" Intraclub game so that he would be right Tommorrow???

I don't think you learned/read enough.

Maybe he wasn't rested in the intraclub because they weren't sure whether his limit would be 2 games or 3 games before he was due for a rest?

Maybe the FD is more concerned with him getting consistent blocks of games in, so they wanted him to play twice in two weeks?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, picket fence said:

A few things to ponder:

We have to select off the intraclub thanks to the scenario we were put in. Not ideal, but 40 players got the chance to show where they were at.

Bennell would be managed by Burgo.  I imagine they have load goals that he would have hit regardless of the ‘glorified circle work’, and then he was due for de-loading.  If there was not intraclub, he would have done it doing run throughs. There are bigger goals than one game in mind for this bloke.  

• Like 1

They are showing alot  of faith in TMac, but I feel that if he puts in another bad one he won’t be so lucky next week.

19 hours ago, MF-C said:

a midget forward line lol 

On form and on paper, on potential and on probable potency, it is a more powerful forward line; it is mobile, hungry, talented and fast. There is no room for resting talls. A good thing for us, at the moment.

• Like 1

Whoever we select, just get to round 10 with 5 wins, and anything could happen this season!

The clubs that manage their playing List best will have a real crack at going a long way in the finals!

TMac 3rd last match against Carlton he kicked 6 goals! 
The break in the start of the season, opening round in Perth, then 12?weeks off, game postponed last week, will take some time for us to be cohesive.

Just need to wait 5-6 weeks to see how we settle, hopefully we can stay at least 50/50 re win loss and then come home strongly! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

not true according to all reports from both within and outside the club - where on earth did you 'learn' that?

dunno how else you expect players to be selected other than based on on training / intraclub form as we've played two games in three months

4 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Ok I'll say this then I'll leave it. Harley Bennell should be playing tommorrow and unless he is not fit is a mistake IMV

Would rather he was up to proper fitness and came back with a bang.

Yeah he played round 2, but only 50% game time and he was a bit tentative (understandably) so maybe he just wasn't ready yet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sooooo we're tanking?? Lol

Too soon?

Will stop being too soon when a premiership has exorcised that whole period. 

6 hours ago, Left Field said:

The one I am struggling with is Hibberd. 

Not fast, not particularly strong overhead, OK in a contest but often turns over the intercept or just plain hacks it away.

Also pretty sure Tmac will need a big game this week. He has been below average now for over a year. And that old "bring the ball to the ground" chestnut? Worked so well when we had Chris "Gravity" Dawes patrolling the forward line, right?

Think JTR mentioned that the coy inference from Mahoney (in response to the observation from one of the members) was that Hibberd's inclusion would allow for Harmes to play more midfield minutes.

Wonder if Harmes will run with one of Geelong's big 3 in midfield. Might help with our two way running in midfield, which is an area where we struggled in the second half against the Blues. Geelong will slaughter us if we can't put defensive pressure on in the midfield & won't matter who we've got playing down back.

11 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Will stop being too soon when a premiership has exorcised that whole period. 

Think JTR mentioned that the coy inference from Mahoney (in response to the observation from one of the members) was that Hibberd's inclusion would allow for Harmes to play more midfield minutes.

Wonder if Harmes will run with one of Geelong's big 3 in midfield. Might help with our two way running in midfield, which is an area where we struggled in the second half against the Blues. Geelong will slaughter us if we can't put defensive pressure on in the midfield & won't matter who we've got playing down back.

If we get on top in the midfield and use Gawn's taps to advantage then it will pressure their 2 way running in the midfield, which is probably worse that ours.

The midfield battle will decide this one.

Harmes will be better value for us in that battle.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Ok I'll say this then I'll leave it. Harley Bennell should be playing tommorrow and unless he is not fit is a mistake IMV

We know he isn’t match fit. He played 50% of the first game he has played since leaving Freo and seemingly heading to retirement. 
They have got him back and we have to trust they know how to get the most out of him and keep his career going.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

I agree picket however if it was always the plan to play 2 games and rest 1 game then I understand that too. The intraclub would be consider a game given it was 4 full quarters.  

We don’t want to [censored] him straight away given his history. Slowly build up in 2020 then unleash in 2021. 

5 hours ago, rjay said:

All I know is that the sooner he is back in, the better we will be.

Godwin's messaging was as clear as mud.

A fit Bennell will be of more benefit than any of this weeks inclusions with the exception of maybe Pickett.

Was crystal clear to me , he's being managed due to his history of calf problems.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Swimming Dee said:

Probably not the thread to post this in but when was the last time a Dees debutant played as well as Rivers did against Carlton. I thought he was exceptional - so poised, hard and skilful. A great prospect!

Bloody excited to watch him and Kossie tomorrow 

Clarry 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Swimming Dee said:

Probably not the thread to post this in but when was the last time a Dees debutant played as well as Rivers did against Carlton. I thought he was exceptional - so poised, hard and skilful. A great prospect!

Bloody excited to watch him and Kossie tomorrow 

1 minute ago, Hell Bent said:

Clarry 

Gysberts.

:mahoney2:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1